Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

This is the guy whose instructions I'll be following: https://twitter.com/seamusblackley/status/1140945355992965121

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
Trying to improve pictures, ignore this post. I'll have to spend more time figuring out how to do multi image posts better so it doesn't look like I am taking the pictures with a potato. Going to post the finished banana break pic later for the points.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leith Maclaine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 5, 2020

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yeah, that's how you make a sourdough starter basically. You don't even have to put it under a tree or whatever. You can just do it in your kitchen.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CapitalistPig posted:

Yeah, that's how you make a sourdough starter basically. You don't even have to put it under a tree or whatever. You can just do it in your kitchen.

The tree makes it sound cooler though

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Hal Incandenza posted:

During these dark times though it might be safer. :)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

You'll also get weirder yeasts.... I imagine in your kitchen you'll mostly end up with your regular bread yeast or the stuff that grows on whatever dried fruit is in your pantry, or something. Do it in your back yard and you'll get some local naturally occurring strain. For better or (probably) worse. But you should get different stuff depending on what you put your culture near, and if you find one that you really like you can keep growing more and become That Person who wants to give everyone a portion of their special sourdough starter and turn them into a fellow bread nerd.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

xopods posted:

You'll also get weirder yeasts.... I imagine in your kitchen you'll mostly end up with your regular bread yeast or the stuff that grows on whatever dried fruit is in your pantry, or something. Do it in your back yard and you'll get some local naturally occurring strain. For better or (probably) worse. But you should get different stuff depending on what you put your culture near, and if you find one that you really like you can keep growing more and become That Person who wants to give everyone a portion of their special sourdough starter and turn them into a fellow bread nerd.

I have all kinds of fermenting and curing projects going on in my kitchen at any given moment and I grow mushrooms from time to time.

My kitchen is a haven of interesting microbes.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Leith's banana nut bread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Mikujin posted:

BROTH CHAT

Forgot to mention, yuming, when you are done with making your broth, if you are not doing something with it immediately do one of two things:
  • Let it cool naturally, then refrigerate. Use within 24-48. If the broth becomes vaguely gelatinous once it cools, don't fret! This actually means you got a wonderful amount of collagen/gelatin extracted from your bones (probably won't pop up with chicken carcass, but if you use a bunch of beef/pork bones it might!)
  • Prepare some jars to storage by warming them in water. Then, quickly bring your broth to a sustained rolling boil for 10 minutes (this kills bad bacteria that can cause long-term storage issues), then ladle equal parts into sealing jars, put on lids. As the broth cools, the air in the jar contracts and helps naturally seal. Use this broth within 2 weeks.
  • Pressure can your broth. You probably won't have to do this unless you make an ungodly large amount of broth. But, if you do, it will keep for ~18 months.

You can also portion and freeze. Honest.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Leith Maclaine posted:

You can also portion and freeze. Honest.
This is also true! But do take note, if freezing you'll want to use it up within 6 months because it will start to lose flavor potency over time in the freezer.

Also, today I did a thing! I forgot to snap some pictures of my meat pre-sous-vide & grill, as well as my dough starter, but I wanted to make pork bao (steam buns!) since I hadn't done it before.

The filling started its journey as some pork loin miscuts that I got from my local butcher on the cheap because, well, miscuts! I marinated the pork for ~12 hours in a mixture of hoisin, jalapeno honey, garlic, and ginger, then tossed it all in the sous vide. After hitting it with just enough time and heat to be "rare" for pork, I popped it out and chilled. Once fully cooled, it hit the grill to get some color and texture, as well as a secondary glazing of the hoisin/jalapeno honey combo (with a bit of soy sauce for good measure). After grilling, it got a rough chop, then mixed in with some fresh cilantro. I'd have used green onions, too, but I hadn't any on hand.

I knew the filling had turned out well when my wife came by several times to "sample" it. She's not usually crazy about pork-anything, but I had to stop her from eating this stuff. I'll chalk that up as a win.

Next, I procured my bun dough now that it'd doubled in size, and portioned it out into nice even 50g chunks (with two clocking in at 52g because that teeny little bit of extra).

From here, it's all about turning those little balls of dough into nice little filled pockets. And, of course, gotta nail that presentation!

This was my first time making bao, and I give mad props to anyone who can pleat these beautifully - it's much harder than it looks. Still, for my first go, most of them turned out pretty nice, even if a few of them were just ok.

From here, we load up the ol' bamboo steamer basket and lock and load.

Hit 'em with steam for about 15 minutes, and out pops this guy (I used a not-so-pretty one so that I could save the pretty ones for later!):

Looks nice enough, and has that awesome springy steam dough texture going on. But ma always said it's what's on the inside that counts, right?

... Yea, she wasn't wrong. These turned out great.

I've got a good portion of filling leftover, too, so I think tonight we'll do a fusion dish: Asian-inspired carbonara! I've got some rice noodles handy somewhere, and figure I can substitute more egg yolk in place of cheese to get that creamy texture. Add bao filling and a hit of soy sauce, maybe some crushed peanuts... should be interesting!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that local yeast poo poo sounds super interesting, but i'd surely end up ingesting horrible toxic microbes if i tried it

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Mr. Steak posted:

that local yeast poo poo sounds super interesting, but i'd surely end up ingesting horrible toxic microbes if i tried it

Usually not, wild yeast makes a very acidic solution which gets to kill toxic bacteria. Now the taste differs based on the locality (which is the reason San Franciso sourdough is so famous).

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I'm making a really good dinner tonight that I'll post when finished but won't get me points because it isn't one of the recipes.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Mikujin posted:

pork bao (steam buns!) [...] turned out great.

Oh gently caress yes. Gonna have to try that at some point. Don't have a bamboo steamer though. Are they just a purist thing or are the buns going to be ruined in/irretrievably stuck to a metal one?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Here's tonight's dinner. Like a shepherd's pie or pâté chinois as they call it in Quebec, but I use spices for the meat similar to what you'd get in a Jamaican beef patty. The topping is a mix of potato and sweet potato, with cloves, nutmeg and ginger. Sprinkled with smoked paprika and finished with a bit of cheddar and parmesan across the top.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

xopods posted:

Oh gently caress yes. Gonna have to try that at some point. Don't have a bamboo steamer though. Are they just a purist thing or are the buns going to be ruined in/irretrievably stuck to a metal one?

Good question! No idea! I imagine a metal steamer is more likely to retain and transfer excess heat during steaming, but I can't imagine it's a big deal... and Google confirms that this can be one thing to watch out for but it's minor. The bigger concern is condensation retention. So I guess keep an eye out but otherwise there's no reason you couldn't feasibly do it.

Also

xopods posted:

Here's tonight's dinner. Like a shepherd's pie or pâté chinois as they call it in Quebec, but I use spices for the meat similar to what you'd get in a Jamaican beef patty. The topping is a mix of potato and sweet potato, with cloves, nutmeg and ginger. Sprinkled with smoked paprika and finished with a bit of cheddar and parmesan across the top.

Yum.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mediterranean seasoned lamb burger with blue cheese melted over it.

Carrots, mushrooms, and cucumbers with sliced of heirloom tomato with some blue cheese crumbles and balsamic glaze.

Flatbread, cous cous, and tzatziki.

Yum.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mikujin posted:

Asian-inspired carbonara!

As promised, tonight was my attempt at Thai-Italian fusion to whip up something akin to carbonara with a bit of flair - in part because I wanted to use up some leftover ingredients! Despite my initial apprehension, this turned out much better than expected, but I do have a few notes!

First off, the menagerie of ingredients:

At-a-glance, nothing really seems super out of place. Just to let people in on what they're seeing, we've got:
  • Spinach & Red Bell Pepper (for veggie goodness)
  • Rice Vinegar & Soy Sauce to help with, well, sauce
  • Hiding behind the above: PB2, powdered peanut butter.
  • Eggs.
  • Pepper flake for spice.
  • Although hard to see, bottom-right is leftover pork filling from this morning (as a reminder: it's rocking a fresh Asian BBQ style seasoning)

My wife actually strolled through the kitchen as I was preparing, and asked if I was planning to make Pad Thai, but not quite! I didn't get any in-process pictures since I was a little too fervent and rocked through things a bit quickly, but here's the breakdown:

The Sauce
Where carbonara pairs eggs with cheese to achieve its velvety texture and rich taste, I swap out cheese for a peanut-butter base sauce. What I used:
  • 3 tbsp. Peanut butter powder (PB2)
  • 6 tbsp. warm water
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. rice vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. fish sauce
  • 1 whole egg
  • 2 egg yolk
  • 1 tbsp. crushed red pepper flake

To start, I made the water-y peanut butter. Normally you mix this stuff up on a 1:1 measure, so doubling the liquid helped to achieve a somewhat runnier textured base. Next, I tossed in the remaining liquid ingredients and mixed well. Add in the eggs, and whisk well to incorporate. You definitely want to put in the time here, because the color of the sauce is such that you can't visibly see how well the eggs are mixed through, and we want to make sure it's even. Add in the pepper flake last and it's a done deal.

The Accompaniments
This one was simple: julienne some red bell pepper, and grab some spinach. In a saute pan, I tossed in some sesame oil and some of the pork filling from earlier. Since the filling is already cooked, there wasn't much here to do in the way of rendering, so the spinach and peppers were tossed in almost immediately. Once I my spinach was wilted and my peppers and pork were starting to catch a touch of color, I tossed in my prepared rice noodles and started to toss - just as you would any other noodle dish. To finish, though, we're going to add our peanut buttered up carbonara sauce: remove the pan from heat, give it a moment, then add the sauce and stir to make sure the eggs in the sauce don't cook through on the pan's hot surface.

The final result?

The sauce ended up superbly velvety, just the way you'd like it to be in a carbonara dish (and you can see it in the sheen on the noodles). The taste was notably Thai-inspired, though where you might normally expect spicy and sweet, we were getting spicy and savory. The flavor was wonderfully peanut-y, and the pops of sweetness from the bell pepper were welcome when they showed up. The pork played incredibly well with the peanut-egg sauce, too. That being said, there were a few things I did note that I'd do differently trying this again:
  • The sauce did not catch as much spice from the pepper flake as I'd hoped. This is likely due to the fact we're "cooking" our sauce with the residual heat in the noodle dish, and not direct heat and time. In a future iteration, I think I'd opt to include some additional pepper flake in the pan while sauteing to kick up the spice.
  • I was lacking a bit of salt. While that savory umami flavor was great, I could definitely tell I needed a bit more salt. This is typically covered by the bacon (or other salty pork) inclusion, but my cooked-pork was not quite salty enough to carry this. A bit of extra salt would go a long way.
  • The red pepper pops of sweetness were brilliant, and I regret not putting more in. I used about a quarter to a third of the pepper shown, and using half probably would've been best.
  • Adding a pinch of cilantro, alongside the chopping peanuts, would've been a great way to add some freshness to the dish to cut back on the richness of the egg + peanut butter.

I was definitely satisfied with the dish, and think there's definitely some tweaking I can do to really make it punchier.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Merk Town-Aligned Merkyros has been killed N1.

It is now D2.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Merk's Merkyros

Chicken:

2 chopped chicken breast cut into pieces
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1 lemon
3Tbsp olive oil
2Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1Tbsp Oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves mined garlic

Greek Salad:
2 tomatoes diced
1 cucumber peeled and diced (grated if you want to be fancy)
1/2 red onion diced
2Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
feta cheese
fresh dill
chopped porcini peppers

Fresh pitas

Place all ingredients under "Chicken:" in 1 gallon bag and let marinate overnight. For the lemon, chop it in half and squeeze the juice in, then place the two halves in

Souz vide bag for 2 hours at 165deg. Throw into pan on high heat for a couple minutes to get the yogurt texture looking better.

Chop up everything in the greek salad thing and put into a bowl.

Make your gyro, you animal.
Take the lemon halves out at some point

Merk's Merkyros are worth 25 points.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Podima's Japanese Curry Bonus recipe

INGREDIENTS
3 onions
1 ˝ carrots
3 Yukon gold potatoes (Tip: Russet potatoes would break down too easily)
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp ginger
1 ˝ lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (680 g; You can use beef or pork)
kosher/sea salt (use half for table salt)
freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp neutral-flavored oil (vegetable, canola, etc)
3 cups chicken stock/broth (720 ml; You can use beef stock for beef, or vegetable stock/broth)
1 package Japanese curry roux (8.4 oz, 240 g; See Notes for homemade curry roux recipe)
1 Tbsp ketchup (Please read the blog post for add-on condiments)
1 Tbsp soy sauce (Please read the blog post for add-on condiments)
Furkujinzuke (red pickled daikon) (for garnish; optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
Gather all the ingredients.

Cut the onions into halves and cut the halves into 5 wedges.
Peel the carrot and cut into bite sizes. I use a Japanese cutting technique called “Rangiri”. Cut the carrot diagonally while rotating it a quarter between cuts. This not only results in an attractive shape that is good for stews and simmered dishes but also gives the pieces bigger surface space to absorb seasonings quicker. You can cut the vegetable slightly bigger to avoid mushy texture.

Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Soak in water to remove starch.

Mince the garlic and grate ginger.
Cut the meat into bite size pieces (I use Japanese cutting technique “Sogigiri”). Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Press the “Sauté” button on your Instant Pot and heat 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil.
When the pot is hot, add the onion, minced garlic and ginger.
Add the chicken to the pot and coat with oil.
Add carrot and potato to the pot and mix well.
Add 3 cups (720 ml) chicken broth and then curry roux from one box (8.4 oz, 240 g). I use ˝ package mild and ˝ package medium spicy. Use the spatula to push down some ingredients but keep the curry roux blocks on top (do not mix!). If you use a homemade roux, add it after pressure cooking is done. Homemade roux is runnier and it goes to the bottom of the pot easily and can burn while cooking.

Cover and lock the lid. Make sure the steam release handle points at “sealing” and not “venting”. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button on the Instant Pot to stop sauté. Press the “meat/Stew” button to switch to the pressure cooking mode. Press “minus” button to change the cooking time to 15 minutes.
[stove-top pressure cooker] If you’re using a stove-top pressure cooker, you won’t have the buttons to press. Just cook on high heat until high pressure is reached. Then reduce the heat to low but maintain high pressure for about 15 minutes.

When it is finished cooking, the Instant Pot will switch automatically to a “Keep Warm” mode. Slide the steam release handle to the "Venting" position to let out steam until the float valve drops down, OR let the pressure release naturally (takes about 15 mins).

Unlock the lid and add 1 Tbsp ketchup and 1 Tbsp soy sauce (if you use homemade curry, add it before ketchup and soy sauce. Change to saute mode for additional 5 minutes until homemade curry roux blends well). Mix well and make sure all the curry roux has been dissolved. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with Fukujinzuke (red daikon pickles).

Podima's Bonus Homemade Curry Roux Recommendation

- melt 4 tbsp of butter in a pan on low heat
- once fully melted, add 4 tbsp of flour. have a whisk ready you motherfucker!
- whisk that poo poo without stopping for about 6-10 minutes, still on low heat. at first it will be kind of crumbly and sandy, and then over time become more liquidy and turn brown. when it is a nice shade of light brown and smells "nutty" you better have your spices prepared already!
- add 2 tbsp curry powder, 2 tbsp garam masala, and between 1/4 tsp (that's TSP not TBSP please do not melt your tongue) and 1 tsp cayenne pepper depending on your preferred spice level.
- KEEP WHISKING THAT poo poo, another 30-60 seconds. Your kitchen will smell amazing.

When adding to a prepared curry, combine it with a few ladlefuls of liquid first to make a thin paste BEFORE you stir that into the curry. If you just try to stir the roux in straight it will be lumpy and might not dissolve all the way.

Podima's Japanese Curry Bonus recipe is worth 25 points.

Grandicap fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 6, 2020

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Not Voting (11): Amnistar, CapitalistPig, Dick Bastardly, Ernie., Hal Incandenza, Leith Maclaine, Mikujin, Mr. Steak, Token Female, xopods, yuming

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 07th, 2020 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 23 hours.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh cool i refreshed my bookmarks at just the right time.

firstly, drat ok im really sorry @sal. i was really sure of myself and may have acted slightly like an rear end. i know you were going through some poo poo, but your reaction wasn't entirely unfounded. so im sorry :/

@amni, bro you phrased that post so drat weird! i was certain we were dealing with a super embarrassing scumslip. thats not to say that you are totally off the hook, but the "scumslip" was a red herring.

the good news is that now we get to use that discussion and turn it into scumhunting.

first thing's first: ##vote xopods

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
I swapped merk and cpig.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grandicap posted:

Podima's Japanese Curry Bonus recipe is worth 25 points.

A few more things to add here:
- This is another solid take on curry: https://andrewzimmern.com/recipes/japanese-soul-cooking-retro-curry/
- There is absolutely nothing wrong with using premade curry blocks for flavor, but they are slammed with sodium so if you're looking for something a little lighter making your own is really not that much effort and well worth it!
- You can pretty safely mess with most of the ratios in a curry recipe (for the protein/veg) as long as you generally include enough liquid and time to cook it all through. Use what's in your fridge!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also, having a pressure cooker is a serious game changer if you were the type of person who enjoyed a slow cooker already - it's added a whole bunch of new recipes to my repertoire and improved on existing stuff I was already using a slow cooker for.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

But why? I caught two scum slips yesterday. I mean, sure, one turned out to be by a Townie and the other one makes no sense now that that first guy turned out to be Town. But I believed what I was saying and isn't that what really counts?

I also legit laughed IRL at Mikujin saying I'm being too nice to be Scum after Sal self-voted and wanted to ragequit the game because I was being too mean. What am I, Schroedinger's rear end in a top hat?

Anyway, my reads are all messed up now cause I was really sure Sal and Amni were going to turn out to be Scum... I mean, Amni might still be due to the way he was all "okay, I'll gladly be lunched if Sal flips Scum!" near the end, but if he is then the thing I thought was a slip wasn't a slip, just coincidence. I was starting to come around on yuming too so I don't know if I want to go back to her. I'll do some re-reading in the morning but I'm going to bed now.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Nevermind just saw in my confessional I was RBd.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Amnistar posted:

I swapped merk and cpig.

Cool, so unless a second Ginger was bought (will check in the AM) or some other switching role is out there, at least one of two things must be true:

Cpig is Town and/or Amni is Scum.

Useful to know down the line though I'm not sure it'll change anything today.

Actually going to bed now.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Amnistar posted:

Nevermind just saw in my confessional I was RBd.

Okay jfc scratch my last post as well then. Now either Amni is Scum or the person who bought the Roleblocker spice is.

Honestly really truly going to bed now!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Well, poo poo.

I bought the pepper.

It was the roleblock.

I used it on Amni because I think he's scum and I was hoping it would stop him from using busdriver / kill shenanigans.

Apparently it saved my life.

##vote Amnistar

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CapitalistPig posted:

Well, poo poo.

I bought the pepper.

It was the roleblock.

I used it on Amni because I think he's scum and I was hoping it would stop him from using busdriver / kill shenanigans.

##vote Amnistar

Pepper was the spice I knew to start the game and I can confirm that’s true

Hmmm why would scum be trying to busdrive their kill though?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Pepper was the spice I knew to start the game and I can confirm that’s true

Hmmm why would scum be trying to busdrive their kill though?

I've done it before as scum to get around stuff or various strategic purposes.

It's hard to say in this instance because I don't know what they can do.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

Well, poo poo.

I bought the pepper.

It was the roleblock.

##vote Amnistar

i thought the same thing as you at first, but what do you think about him apparently not realizing he'd been roleblocked at first? if he was scum, he'd obviously know the kill target, and then seeing merk's flip would know something had happened.

idk tho, cuz that could be explained by a number of things: amni playing 4d chess; amni posting his targets before reading the flip post; whatever. so i dont think it weakens your argument too much. but what's your take?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Steak posted:

i thought the same thing as you at first, but what do you think about him apparently not realizing he'd been roleblocked at first? if he was scum, he'd obviously know the kill target, and then seeing merk's flip would know something had happened.

idk tho, cuz that could be explained by a number of things: amni playing 4d chess; amni posting his targets before reading the flip post; whatever. so i dont think it weakens your argument too much. but what's your take?

It's actually a good point.

As much as I hate this, I don't think anyone would really be thinking that far ahead as scum and he might just be really dumb and stubborn.

##unvote

I guess I need to think a little more.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tbh, the main thing making me sus on amni is his enthusiasm to share that he'd bought the ginger, just as people were getting a little antsy and suspicious over who might've bought it, plus openly revealing the ability, which despite his rationalization, i dont think he genuinely believes that was good to reveal as town. not that it was *bad* to reveal, but it comes across more like being self-conscious of withholding info (ie "being unhelpful") because he wants to be seen as providing info to thread. i get the impression that a townie who overthinks everything like amni does would be a little more thoughtful about claiming that spice.

also, i was also thinking about that "im fine being the lunch if sal flips scum" line that xop brought up. that definitely reeks of knowing how sal would flip, but also it's not 100% incriminating of course. but would an amni who wasn't sure of sal's alignment really be okay with the possibility of just laying down and being lunched the next day.

i also noticed that near deadline yesterday, a number of people hurried to vote for sal despite the two of them being quote equally suspicious at that point, and maybe even amni moreso now that i'm reading back.

actually yeah, i've convinced myself. ##vote amnistar

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

It's actually a good point.

As much as I hate this, I don't think anyone would really be thinking that far ahead as scum and he might just be really dumb and stubborn.

##unvote

I guess I need to think a little more.

oh lol. are we playing leapfrog over here?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Steak posted:

oh lol. are we playing leapfrog over here?

I'm not 100% convinced but it was enough to make me pause for a minute and maybe analyze things a bit.

There's no rush right now and I'm still suspicious because this is very unlike amni's usual play but I'm struggling a little bit to find a scum logic for some of it.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

If this is a gambit it's a pretty complex one.

If Scumni just wanted to buy a power that's useless for Scum in order to get Town cred, Doctor was on the table. Tracker's also mostly a Town role here because there are no permanent power roles... not so useful to Scum to detect who had one since everything's one-shot.

And since Sal was Town, Amni wouldn't have known what the Bus Driver was anyway.

So he would have had to buy a random power, happen to land himself with Bus Driver, which is useful to Scum if kept secret, decide to claim immediately, use the power in a way that's almost guaranteed to be useless by Bus Driving the kill and then, when roleblocked, have the acumen to know it'd look Townier to pretend that he didn't notice at first that he'd been roleblocked (as Scum would have known immediately upon seeing the flip even if they didn't check DMs).

It's not impossible that he'd do this, especially if it was an improvised gambit rather than a planned one. But the fact that more obvious gambits were on the table - buying Doctor and withholding a nightkill for instance - makes me more inclined to believe this means he's Town. For now, anyway... it's not hard evidence but it means he's pretty low on the lunch chart for today IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I can't believe I said "lunch chart" and not "lunch menu."