Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Yeah, I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

xopods posted:

Town again! Hopefully this Town is smarter than the last one.

To begin my scumhunting, I would ask everyone to tell me how they feel about cilantro IRL.

cilantro is fantastic when used with lime to cut through something rich

i've been meaning to try and see if i can cook up a dessert recipe that uses cilantro - like a lemon meringue over a cilantro frosting over a regular cheesecake or something

and since we're all cooking friends now, here's a lifehack i learnt while living in panama last year

for people for whom cilantro tastes like soap, culantro doesn't ellicit the same reaction

one of the women i was with at the time tasted the flavor of "cilantro" for the first time in her life and her reaction was 'okay, but why do people want this flavor??'

there was more than just genetics wrong with her

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mr. Steak posted:

@grandi

is the purchaser of a spice informed of that spice's ability immediately? as in, scum a buys spice x early in the day, sees that it's a really good power, so the rest of the scum are able to decide to also get that same spice. is that possible?

i think in addition to this, grandicap, when are we updated on quantities available of items?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Alright, totally unintentionally, I had made Zapiekankas for dinner tonight and this is the only picture I have:

They're polish street food: little bit of caramelized onions, sliced sausages, baguette, cheese, spicy ketchup.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CapitalistPig posted:

Like half the posting so far is just chat about cooking.

merk posted:

##vote CPig

CapitalistPig posted:

What happened to you.

You used to be good at mafia.

merk posted:

but this is coofkia

lmao

i for one think merk is now trolling on a whole new level

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Leith Maclaine posted:

Grilled ham and cheese

you know what should be a crime??

posting a picture that hides most of its own subject....

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Seeing whole eggs between bread reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gdl-A1DvpA

Also, that looks awesome!

Reminds me of The Golden Harvest Restaurant in Michigan. They literally dip their bread in egg yolks then cook them to give their sandwiches extra rich-ness.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amnistar posted:

That's like...70% of joke phase cpig...

##vote amnistar

i followed your exclamation mark joke, which became a serious vote when cpig "reacted"

but something about this post reads like you're trying to "reason" with cpig while you think he's scum

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

also, someone make a hotdog and see if grandicap counts it as a sandwich, quick

wait, grandicap, can we do each recipe more than once for points?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

ah i missed that

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mr. Steak posted:

also, for the weird and perhaps forced read of amni's post, ##vote ernie

what's weird about it?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mr. Steak posted:

for 1, the notion that so much as addressing a scumread or engaging with their argument at all is anti-town behavior, enough to home him over.

it wasn't the addressing, it's specifically that amni doesn't seem to commit earnestly

i wish you'd believe me when i say: i want to be correct based on punctuation

post1: amni posts a joke that i read as a joke based on the exclamation point
post2: amni says that his joke now turned serious
post3: amni reasons with cpig

post 2 and post 3 don't track

if amni voted out of policy "wow that looks bad", he would be asking cpig to explain himself, not in return explain himself to get cpig to back down the case

to me it reads like amni realized cpig's posts to merk came off more earnest than his, but kept his vote on anyway, while trying to push his "read" as little as possible

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

i wish you'd believe me when i say: i want to be correct based on punctuation

i didn't finish this thought: in his 'reasoning with cpig post' amni has two sets of ellipses, like he's trying to get cpig to come to his same conclusion

the conclusion that amni was joking, but is no longer joking?

that's why cpig is voting for amni in the first place

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mr. Steak posted:

ok, i can see what you were thinking, even though i disagree
##unvote

you're reading into the minutiae of amni's posts waaaayy too deeply.
1) amni could hardly be said to be "reasoning" with cpig in that post. that's just a strange take.
2) reasoning with people you think are scum is extremely common anyway? because we don't KNOW they're scum.
3) even if you're 90% sure they're scum, declaring your reasoning in response to them could just be for the sake of the rest of thread. lack of response/correction would only give that scum more of a platform to mislead thread

conclusion: your case is unfounded from square one

sure, i agree, i mean i think xopods did something scummy and i'm about to reason with him anyway, no one knows anything

but i'm still set off because i feel like amni is posting in a reactionary way not a consistent way

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

xopods posted:

The Amni/CapPig interaction seems plausibly like a misunderstanding to me. Amni was dropping a jokephase joke but accidentally made his joke-reasoning sound too much like real reasoning which undermined the context in which we would understand he was joking. CapPig reacted defensively, Amni thought that reaction was actually scummy.

Likewise, most reaction to their spat seem reasonable enough. I wasn't getting much out of anything that had happened before I went to bed last night.

If anything, now I'm maybe a bit wary of Mr. Steak and/or Ernie. because although both their opinions (Ernie's on Amni and Steak's on Ernie) seem reasonable on the surface, but it also feels like we're at the point where Scum would be like "okay, this is the Thing People Have Opinions About right now, so we'd better come up with opinions." I actually think Steak might have been on to something... what Ernie's saying is logically coherent, but there's something weird about it.

I feel like the Town mind reflex here is to read the Amni/Cpig interaction and just go with a gut opinion about whether it seems like a legit misunderstanding or if one of them is behaving artificially.

Ernie says he understood Amni was joking and didn't find him scummy initially, but then found a much more subtle thing wrong with Amni's posting. To me, it feels kinda like he decided he wanted to vote for one of Amni or Cpig from the start, but not for the same reasons as everyone else, and was going to go looking for additional justification downthread.

It's not much, but to me Ernie looks the worst of anyone who's involved themselves with the situation so far.

##vote Ernie

xopods, how would you read this post if i replaced my name in it with yours

because that's a lot of projection

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

xopods posted:

I would read it as extremely weird because why would I be casing myself since I know I'm Town?

Anyway, I see what you're saying, but no. I commented (briefly) on the Amni/CapPig interaction as it was happening. I only mentioned it again to contextualize what I think is suspicious about your approach to it.

Emphasis mine, so you think a key difference in our behavior is that I stayed mum until an opportune moment? Is that the important to your case?

Because my post to you was based on the assumption that the foundation of your case was that I made an "indie" case because I wanted to get in on the action.

Which I thought you were ironically doing with me without being aware, hence my 'projecting' comment.

Either way, I have two questions for you. Do you understand what I'm saying about Amnistar? And also,

xopods posted:

To me, it feels kinda like he decided he wanted to vote for one of Amni or Cpig from the start, but not for the same reasons as everyone else, and was going to go looking for additional justification downthread.

Who is "everyone else" in this sentence?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Token Female posted:

Haha, I have seen a lot of zoom meetings last week about how to use zoom. Someone always unmutes themselves and is talking with someone else in their house or is ruffling through papers. EVERY TIME!

My boss insists on everyone unmuting themselves. Like if I mute myself he immediately points it out and tells me to unmute. I say I'm doing it out of courtesy and he says "no worries, we're all family, unmute, who cares" and I feel awkward for like the thirty minutes of the call.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

xopods posted:

From a Town Mind perspective, once you've read the initial interaction between Amni and CapPig, if you've decided that it's fine and not suspicious, there's no further reason to give either of them more scrutiny than anyone else.

Your point about Amni makes some sense, but it's also kinda subtle and I feel like it wouldn't have stood out to you relative to other posting in the thread if you weren't looking for a reason to vote one of those two players specifically.

I like your casing style, really. I read that first paragraph and was immediately going to say "even you admit "initial" in your own post, so how can you presume that I'm giving one of them "more scrutinty" later on".

The only actual content in the game up and until that point:

Merk jumping on Cpig
Cpig losing patience immediately
Couple of people told Cpig to calm down
Amnistar told Cpig to calm down

It's totally normal to think that other people telling Cpig to calm down is normal, because I wanted it too.

It's totally normal to think Amnistar telling Cpig to calm down is weird because he started the whole chain reaction.

Your entire case is predicated on me deciding to go after amni or cpig, and waiting for a moment to pounce, yeah? That's an indefensible position, because it's a read not based on actions in the thread, but rather lack of action.

How would someone who found Amnistar suspicious only because of his second post react differently? I'm showing you how that reaction goes, because I found his latter post, and not his first post, scummy.

My only post in the thread at the time was laughing at how merk and cpig basically came at the same problem from different angles and it set cpig off. In there there's an inherent admission that I don't think cpig is putting on an act.

So if your argument tracks, I laid down the work to go after Amni at that point. I know these are not your words, but I'm just extrapolating your logic.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

xopods posted:

I'm also quite suspicious of yuming and possibly TF.

I'm kind of laughing right at now, at the toilet comment, and at the fact that you have a whole other post based on other out-of-thread assumptions.

Does this ever work?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

xopods posted:

It's a probabilistic case.

Ah yes, well if we're now talking about Bayesian odds, let's talk about it.

I want to argue that the prior odds here are not based on thread behavior or prior stance on a case, but rather overall individual history. This is the exact kind of case I always make. I'm sure I can at random pick from my last 5 town games and find me making a very similar argument about logic tracking.

In fact, here, let's do it: my last five town games were Covalescence, The Aquiline Conspiracy, The Ravenswood Haunting, The Harvest of Hnetva, and Joe Mafia. You can choose. Also wow, some of those are in 2016. I may be off my game. By a lot.

What does that do for my posterior odds?

Also, xopods, on a completely irrelevant note, I haven't been feeling this game. Arguing with you is the first real dose of mafia fun I've had in years.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

xopods posted:

My case on yuming is not based on out-of-thread assumptions. The possible connection to TF is, but like I said, it'd be almost too obvious if that were the case. I think it's more likely TF did just happen to show up randomly at the same time yuming did and yuming took advantage of that.

My case on yuming is that she advocated lunching a low-content player despite being one herself, chose merk of all people, who at least has a vote down, and then only seemed to notice that another low-content player had made an excuse for it after supposedly having read all of them and deciding that merk is the worst.

I know, I was messing with you.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

Covalescence, The Aquiline Conspiracy, The Ravenswood Haunting, The Harvest of Hnetva, and Joe Mafia.

Also lol, just wanted to put a fun note here.

60% of those are Ecco games. Historically Ecco always put me as town, because one time fronz cordyceps and I were all scum and we all claimed a masonry in-thread and got lunched in exactly 3 days. She put so much effort in the game and we blew it, and since then she doesn't trust me to be scum again.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

xopods posted:

I don't have archives but I believe you that the nature of your case is similar to ones you've made before as Town. Like I said, I don't find the logic inherently suspicious.

As Town, are you generally in the habit of looking for a reason to vote for one of the players involved in a slapfight, but a reason not directly connected to the original impetus for the slapfight?

Yes, but it also depends on the stage of the game.

I concurrently do two things. In-thread I stir enough poo poo that I link a few players together. Out-of-thread I have a list of everyone and I take names off based on my gut town reading about their first few posts.

If at the end of D1/D2 those lists look the same, I just hound those people.

But if we're on D5, I vote Hal or merk. I mean the made it to D5 for a reason.

My favourite stirring poo poo strategy, which I guess I won't do in this game because I'm talking about it, is right before the D1 deadline I change my vote. Better if away from the voteleader, regardless of what read I have on them. I want to see if anyone wavers, or if anyone points out to it at a later stage of the game to draft up a case against me. People who read posts in the context of a deadline are predominantly town, since they have deadline jitters. Scum don't usually remember things in the context of a deadline, just in the context of a "who's easiest to lunch".

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

That said, I'm not currently stirring poo poo. Of course.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

xopods posted:

How convenient that your Town strategy of "just stirring poo poo regardless of reads" would be indistinguishable from Scum being inconsistent because they're Scum. And that you're telling us you're not doing this now but might do so later.

What do you think of my case on yuming?

I was totally planning on doing it later for the sake of humor, but not any more. You ruined it, xopods.

I agree with your "case" on Yuming, but for a different reason. Town Yuming goes after people, scuming goes after ~sounding like herself~. But I also don't know if her style changed over the years so that's why I didn't comment on it yet. Was waiting to see what she says about your post first.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

xopods posted:

How convenient that your Town strategy of "just stirring poo poo regardless of reads" would be indistinguishable from Scum being inconsistent because they're Scum. And that you're telling us you're not doing this now but might do so later.

What do you think of my case on yuming?

To expand: If I'm voting on scum at the end of D1, I give scum enough reason to switch their votes with me, raising a case against them. If I'm voting on town at the end of D1, I look good for moving my vote and I survive longer.

Literally no reason not to use this one simple trick REGULAR MAFIA PLAYERS HATE HIM.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

dick, what would you have done if sal hadn't posted until the rest of the day?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i thought so

##vote dick bastardly

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

let me know when you'll participate earnestly instead of empty posting

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mr. Steak posted:

the scum will be quieter.

this is exactly why i'm going after dick

that said i could also vote yuming if dick doesn't happen

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

also PS, the deadline is 6am my time, so I won't be around for it, i'll try to leave my vote somewhere useful before I nod off to bed tonight

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

this is exactly why i'm going after dick

that said i could also vote yuming if dick doesn't happen

the more i think about it, the more yuming is avoiding engaging with actual thread content

like her posting lacks conviction

but then again literally half the players in the game have said/done nothing, so i'm not sure if it's a generalized apathy

i'd vote yuming for the same reasons I'd vote dick, which is that both their posting/actions seems very "oh yeah, they're there alright... what do they think again???"

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

yuming posted:

Sal, that stinks! I hope it gets resolved. PS: who is scum?

yuming posted:

I asked Sal for his reads because he seems legit busy but I wanted to engage him to participate before the deadline rush.

yuming posted:

Sal I already mentioned.

"What does yuming think of sal?"

"Oh, well she mentioned him."

##vote yuming

I honestly don't care who we lunch as long as it's someone. Heck even lunch me (my recipe is bomb).

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Alright, back on time. I feel like Yuming picked up along with the game so this is not longer valid ##unvote.

##vote mr. steak I dunno if this is the most indecisive person in the world, but he just keeps voting and unvoting seemingly randomly. It looks like content generation, but the reasons and then dismissals are always flimsy.

Probably not a useful vote, but the current leader is CPig and I have a strong town read on CPig. His reaction, especially to merk, is a little too far for scum CPig to do, who usually just pretends like his life is hard and people shouldn't pressure him. I feel like he crossed a line with merk, which means he was actually upset.

Other reads: Still would vote the heck out of dick, but he said that he's struggling with work, and I understand that so I'll revisit the empty posting D2. Update on my earlier read on Amni: he kinda completely ignored my case? I find it suspicious but I want to let it go because I think my ego is getting in the way. I want to be right more than I think I'm right with that case at this point.

Strong town read on Xopods, his logic is really there and his posting style backs it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Hal Incandenza posted:

In order to buy pepper or ginger someone would have to have cooked carbonara AND a sandwich right? That might be good to track

i've been waiting for someone to make this post

i think this is the scum gambit in this game

i asked grandicap if i can anonymously donate points and he said yes, i'm guessing that scum can do that, too, to one another

total number of points for scum might be higher than their in-thread participation might show

and an easy play to make in this game is to stack points on scum, pin a missing night action on a town player who has the 'right' number of points

it's late and I'm not thinking straight. this isn't to say Hal is scum. I've just been waiting for this exact post. had a town read on hal so far for his care-free interactions with xopods/carefree and unprompted reads, but that's now neutral

will come back to it with a fresh brain tomorrow