Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh drat! a game with a shop mechanic that's not horribly executed like my stillborn game.

im in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hal Incandenza posted:

Also I still make Steak Grandicap all the time ever since cookfia 1

you make me what?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dick Bastardly posted:

This may or may not be a sign-up post based on the answer to the following: am I required to cook irl as a mechanic in this game? If the answer is yes then I'm out.

Ninja E: oops, I think the game is full. Happy cooking ya foodies!

E2: oh, it's in the OP. Maybe I should read those more.

i didnt realize irl cooking would be a mechanic in the game before i signed up either lol.

but after reading the OP i was like, well... the worst that could happen is i play mafia as vt. not the worst fate ever lol

edit: i would gladly cook for the game, if my ability to purchase ingredients werent severely limited by quarantine. @grandicap, if you think it'll unbalance the game to have me essentially not even try for any of the powers or spices, then you can replace me

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 1, 2020

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grandicap posted:

Cooking is entirely optional, it's just how you get points to purchase powers, so worst case scenario you are just vanilla. Also, like sandwolf says, spectators can donate points they earn from cooking to whomever they choose, so even if you don't cook, you could still get points.

Also, specifically due to shortages and quarantine stuff, you do not need to cook a recipe exactly to get points, be creative with what you have. Substitutions are encouraged. Creativity might get you extra points too.

ok, rad

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yo, i might actually have all the ingrediants for that carbonara actually!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xopods posted:

Still on the fence about whether it's best that we all reveal what we know. Gonna hold off on mine for now... think Amni was reasonable in disclosing unconfirmed Mason-maker, but allowing the Scum to know whether or not some Tracker spice has been purchased could backfire pretty easily.

this post got me thinking. there's nothing in the OP about whether spice purchases are ever announced, but seeing as there's a limited number of each, it seems likely grandi will post an updated list every day? but that's not officially stated anywhere. it could very well be the case that it's only announced when a spice is no longer in stock. we'll just have to see

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i agree in principle tho that some spices are better off not claiming, particularly if they could be useful for both scum and town. townies, use your best judgement before claiming your spice knowledge. i think claiming the masonry, dead-masonry, and tracker were good decisions.

i feel comfortable saying that "unlabelled spice" could only possibly be useful for scum, and recommend townies choose to buy something else. obviously i won't explain details, cuz that would only let scum know if they really want to buy it or not

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
@grandi

is the purchaser of a spice informed of that spice's ability immediately? as in, scum a buys spice x early in the day, sees that it's a really good power, so the rest of the scum are able to decide to also get that same spice. is that possible?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mikujin posted:

Without disclosing what the spice is, what role do you have knowledge of?

i think this sounds like a good idea to do for anyone not comfortable sharing the whole thing. it could only benefit town to have a better general understanding of the abilities that might be on play.

of course, still use your better judgement. you're the one who knows best what to share about your own spice info. like, for me it was a different case and i felt comfortable sharing only the name, and my impression of the ability

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cpig's defensiveness isn't even scummy at all, let alone "too scummy to be scum"

i completely agree with him re: amni's push being nonsensical. idk if i'd go so far as to say amni's scum because of it, but at the very least, he's being disingenuous with saying cpig's reaction was overly defensive. maybe he's town trying to push harder and gauge reactions, or he's a scum doing exactly what cpig described. either way, im looking at amni as disingenuous rn

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

:siren: additional mod info about paprika :siren:

Mod just told me in discord he forgot something about the paprika.

It doesn't use your action for the night.

That is all.

he told me the same thing about "unlabelled spice" which honestly makes it a *little* less useless for town, since at least it wouldnt take the slot of a more useful action. but i still recommend just saving up points a better item anyway

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, someone mentioned that we'll always know who has points, so we can reasonably always know who's bought what. something tells me observer-gifted points won't be publicly announced, so lets not treat that as 100% reliable

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Steak's Simple Sandwiches

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ernie. posted:

also, someone make a hotdog and see if grandicap counts it as a sandwich, quick

i mean...

Grandicap posted:

I mean, a quesadilla, a hotdog or a macaron all loosely resemble sandwiches.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, for the weird and perhaps forced read of amni's post, ##vote ernie

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ernie. posted:

what's weird about it?

for 1, the notion that so much as addressing a scumread or engaging with their argument at all is anti-town behavior, enough to home him over.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
er

*vote

not home

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ernie. posted:

it wasn't the addressing, it's specifically that amni doesn't seem to commit earnestly

i wish you'd believe me when i say: i want to be correct based on punctuation

post1: amni posts a joke that i read as a joke based on the exclamation point
post2: amni says that his joke now turned serious
post3: amni reasons with cpig

post 2 and post 3 don't track

if amni voted out of policy "wow that looks bad", he would be asking cpig to explain himself, not in return explain himself to get cpig to back down the case

to me it reads like amni realized cpig's posts to merk came off more earnest than his, but kept his vote on anyway, while trying to push his "read" as little as possible

ok, i can see what you were thinking, even though i disagree
##unvote

you're reading into the minutiae of amni's posts waaaayy too deeply.
1) amni could hardly be said to be "reasoning" with cpig in that post. that's just a strange take.
2) reasoning with people you think are scum is extremely common anyway? because we don't KNOW they're scum.
3) even if you're 90% sure they're scum, declaring your reasoning in response to them could just be for the sake of the rest of thread. lack of response/correction would only give that scum more of a platform to mislead thread

conclusion: your case is unfounded from square one

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yuming posted:

Good morning :sun:

I think ernie reads like town joining in during early game with lots of cooking chat.

Amnistar I have a neutral read, and CPig more townie.

My current working theory is scum are sitting back and letting the cooking chat happen so... ##vote merk is my best guess ~feeling~

why would scum be hesitant to use the mod-approved excuse to not talk game....?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have come back around on ernie

##vote ernie

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually nevermind ##unvote

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's violently wrong and overenthusiastic about the wrong things he's saying, but that's not scummy.

hes active and being loud, thats the only reason i was tempted to vote him. but thats an instinct i need to suppress. the scum will be quieter.

for example...

##vote yuming

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus sal, at least think for 1 drat second about maybe why i was trying to get the scumteam to waste their points on unlabelled, before spilling the details in thread?

actually, ##vote sal

hello? i was trying to bait the scumteam into buying it, and then you bought it

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xopods posted:

(a) Scum would probably notice when someone said a spice is pro-Scum, and
(b) If they did notice, fell for the gambit, and purchased it, presumably they wouldn't then immediately tell the thread they'd done so

no. it'd be impossible to hide the fact that the spice was bought. it was obvious what sal's response was going to be. i dont believe him. sal actually reads the thread, generally.

also, if you click through on this quote:

SalTheBard posted:

The spice I know is bus driver, but I'm not going to say which one because I think bus driver benefits scum WAY more than town.

you'll see sal was active in thread RIGHT when i was posting about unlabelled spice. the fact that he didn't directly comment on it is only more damning, as scum *would* be insecure about commenting on a "pro-scum" ability being revealed

sorry for being... not chill, i guess, sal.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xopods posted:

So Ginger is Bus Driver? Did you know that when you bought it? I guess not cause Sal told us the role exists but not which spice it was.

yeah this is weird lol. did amni just slip that he's scum with sal?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xopods posted:

It's not 100% a slip because your told what your spice does once you get it. But the way he said it sounded like he thought everyone else knew what ginger did already too.

yeah, that's what i'm calling weird. if its actually a slip then i honestly fee so bad for them both lmao

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amnistar posted:

It is. I bought it not knowng what it was, and was very happy with the results. I am claiming I bought it because now scum have to account for a town bus driver when submitting actions.

i suppose this was the only real argument you had available to you, huh?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, if sal flips town then you're free to go. and if he flips scum? you're poo poo outta luck.

as it stands, im basically not gonna move my vote from sal

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amnistar posted:

Uhh...I use bus driver to turn scum kills on themselves. So...yes...not being able to kill a player that is obviously town is a big detriment for the scum team.

amni, correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't you a town busdriver in one game, and specifically chose to not disclose that info on d1, and only reveal your role and who you'd swapped at the beginning of day 2?

i'll try finding the game if i have time

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SalTheBard posted:

Whatever if you all want to cuddle me that's fine. I loving hope scum wins.

i hate to see you frustrated like this, sal.

but wishing for the scumteam to win because town mislunched you on d1 is kind of... really petty

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also at the rate things are going, it doesnt even look like town is invested enough to lunch either of you.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xopods posted:

Why are you posting as if you are Scum and Sal isn't?

xopods posted:

Or, to be precise, I should say as if Sal is Town and you aren't.

no, i know what you mean. for 1) when i say "town" there, i'm referring to the entire stock of living players in the game, though yes, mostly those who are town.

referring to sal as a "mislunch" is following from his perspective. its quite obvious i dont think he'll be one, but to engage with his post, you have to accept that he's speaking from a position of being frustrated that he'll be mislunched.

though, i do think his frustration is real if he's scum too.

xopods, i understand that we havent played together before, and maybe the way i post is a little confusing, but now is really not the tome to throw suspicion on me for the way i talk

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fwiw, i *would* be willing to vote amni if people want to swing that way first.

im still very much of the opinion that they're both scum who hosed up

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cpig, sarcasm is not gonna help the situation

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sorry i was away so long. got busy near deadline

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that local yeast poo poo sounds super interesting, but i'd surely end up ingesting horrible toxic microbes if i tried it

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh cool i refreshed my bookmarks at just the right time.

firstly, drat ok im really sorry @sal. i was really sure of myself and may have acted slightly like an rear end. i know you were going through some poo poo, but your reaction wasn't entirely unfounded. so im sorry :/

@amni, bro you phrased that post so drat weird! i was certain we were dealing with a super embarrassing scumslip. thats not to say that you are totally off the hook, but the "scumslip" was a red herring.

the good news is that now we get to use that discussion and turn it into scumhunting.

first thing's first: ##vote xopods

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

Well, poo poo.

I bought the pepper.

It was the roleblock.

I used it on Amni because I think he's scum and I was hoping it would stop him from using busdriver / kill shenanigans.

Apparently it saved my life.

##vote Amnistar

i thought the same thing as you at first, but what do you think about him apparently not realizing he'd been roleblocked at first? if he was scum, he'd obviously know the kill target, and then seeing merk's flip would know something had happened.

idk tho, cuz that could be explained by a number of things: amni playing 4d chess; amni posting his targets before reading the flip post; whatever. so i dont think it weakens your argument too much. but what's your take?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tbh, the main thing making me sus on amni is his enthusiasm to share that he'd bought the ginger, just as people were getting a little antsy and suspicious over who might've bought it, plus openly revealing the ability, which despite his rationalization, i dont think he genuinely believes that was good to reveal as town. not that it was *bad* to reveal, but it comes across more like being self-conscious of withholding info (ie "being unhelpful") because he wants to be seen as providing info to thread. i get the impression that a townie who overthinks everything like amni does would be a little more thoughtful about claiming that spice.

also, i was also thinking about that "im fine being the lunch if sal flips scum" line that xop brought up. that definitely reeks of knowing how sal would flip, but also it's not 100% incriminating of course. but would an amni who wasn't sure of sal's alignment really be okay with the possibility of just laying down and being lunched the next day.

i also noticed that near deadline yesterday, a number of people hurried to vote for sal despite the two of them being quote equally suspicious at that point, and maybe even amni moreso now that i'm reading back.

actually yeah, i've convinced myself. ##vote amnistar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

It's actually a good point.

As much as I hate this, I don't think anyone would really be thinking that far ahead as scum and he might just be really dumb and stubborn.

##unvote

I guess I need to think a little more.

oh lol. are we playing leapfrog over here?