Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
Why do you think I got into the racket?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

yea the DTs can straight up kill ya so theres good reason for it, people need their juice

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
In Massachusetts weed stores are also essential businesses

just gonna be drunk & high for the duration of this pandemic

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

They loving better be. I work at a grocery store and if I can’t kill my liver after dealing with people then just give me the virus.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

just give me the virus
customers probably got you covered there

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If they weren't open they'd be broken in to and alcoholics would be taking up ICU beds from cold turkey detox so yeah, of course they are

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
when the government here in australia said they were gonna close a bunch of shops, they weren't exactly clear on what would stay open, so aussies all went and packed into the bottle shops and panic bought as much booze as they could fit in the car. They are all still open though, you just aren't allowed more than 2 slabs at a time at mine anymore.

RabbitAmbulance
Dec 23, 2005

guys what happened to the clutch cargo appreciation forum
Shut them all down. can't believe people all acting like we don't have toilets and fruit

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Bevmo completely sold out of Everclear lol.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the US went loving insane during Prohibition, we learned our lesson good not to ever restrict access to booze like that again

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If they abruptly cut off the booze supply there'd be more dead from DTs and seizures than from corona

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

If they abruptly cut off the booze supply there'd be more dead from DTs and seizures than from corona

Can you imagine the strain that one million detoxing alcoholics would put on the system? It would be a lot more people seizing on the streets than gasping for breath.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Brewed 11 litres of bitter with kveik yeast this week just gone, bottling tomorrow, big Styrian and Cluster hop bitterness.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 28, 2020

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

realbez posted:

when the government here in australia said they were gonna close a bunch of shops, they weren't exactly clear on what would stay open, so aussies all went and packed into the bottle shops and panic bought as much booze as they could fit in the car. They are all still open though, you just aren't allowed more than 2 slabs at a time at mine anymore.

The gently caress is an Australian "slab"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

kazr posted:

its a box of beers

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

kazr posted:

I guessing it's 24 cans of beer on a cardboard tray wrapped in plastic.

I'm in the UK and Off-Licences have been added to the list of 'essential' services. My parents have decided to close up shop and they will likely stay closed regardless.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

kazr posted:

Valko posted:

We dont do the plastic wrap thing

24 beers a slab

30 is a block

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 28, 2020

Wutang-Yutani
Nov 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm as alcoholic as almost anyone in this country but I still find it very pathetic that they're "essential" especially given that booze worsens the effects of the virus.

But hey, life is hosed.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Wutang-Yutani posted:

I'm as alcoholic as almost anyone in this country but I still find it very pathetic that they're "essential" especially given that booze worsens the effects of the virus.

But hey, life is hosed.

As mentioned, if they weren’t open, there’s a percentage of the population who might require more immediate medical attention w/o booze.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

sudonim posted:

In Massachusetts weed stores are also essential businesses

just gonna be drunk & high for the duration of this pandemic

Not for recreational sales they aren't :(

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Valko posted:

I'm in the UK and Off-Licences have been added to the list of 'essential' services. My parents have decided to close up shop and they will likely stay closed regardless.

The gently caress is a UK "Off-Licence"

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Devils Affricate posted:

The gently caress is a UK "Off-Licence"

There are different sorts of alcohol licences in the UK. Generally you cannot buy alcohol in supermarkets unless they have a licence to sell it and most of the time that is prohibitevly expensive - if it's an independant operation. Sainsbury's, Tesco etc have no problem paying for one so they can sell it.

Having an entertainment licence allows you to sell drinks that can be consumed on the premesis, such as bars. In an off-licence you take it home with you. One alcoholic guy years ago came in and bought a litre of vodka and after he paid for it he asked if he could open it and take a good big slug of it right there. I told him no, that would be a £500 fine for him drinking in public and I didn't know what sort of trouble I'd get into either.

It's not my area of expertise I just work there I don't handle the legal side of things you'd have to ask my sister.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

A Grand Egg posted:

24 beers a slab
30 is a block

Wheelin a stack of these on a hand truck out the door of the liquor store is called "getting a Dolly."

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Ehh... sorry for my previous post it just seems bad and incomprehensible so how about I tell you all a funny tale from work:

Does anyone remember mini-bud? Those little 200ml bottles of budweiser that came in a box of 24 for £9.99? I hated those loving things with a passion. Not because I dislike budweiser but because of the boxes they came in. Some genius decided that the boxes should be perforated along every single edge. The boxes also had a flap on the top that was designed to be easily popped off. Many people would see them stacked up in the coolers and because they were very light they thought it was a great idea to grab the box by one handle to lift it out. This often caused the cardboard to rip causing the box to fall to the floor and break at least three bottles. We put a sign up in front of the glass pleading customers to grab them with both hands but of course it got ignored. It got to the point we started wrapping tape around them.

People still grabbed them by one handle. And they still managed to break. I would see someone in line carrying them like that and say "Uh, sir (always a man), do you mind carrying that with both hands..." and the response was always the same. "Hahaha, no it's alright I've got it!" It's like they thought I was worried about them straining themselves carrying a measly 5kg box beer instead of all the loving cleaning I was about to have to do in the middle of a busy weekend night.

Still though, one Saturday afternoon a group of youths pulled into the car park and came in to get stocked up. One young guy, who was likely already drunk, bought himself a box of minis. Fair enough, he carried it out to the car with both hands. Then a lightbulb flashed over his head. Instead of telling his friends "Hey, I got what I came for!" he decided to lift the box above his head and scream "YEEEOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!" The box was upside down. The cardboard flap popped out and most of the bottles came falling down and bounced off his head and shoulders and smashed around his ankles.

I did some laughing at that but if he had done it inside the shop I would have been livid.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

actually slab is a good word for it.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

in the US fosters is disgusting piss water do they actually drink it in aus? is it different?

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

grillster posted:

Wheelin a stack of these on a hand truck out the door of the liquor store is called "getting a Dolly."

^^^

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

realbez posted:

At least you guys were hoarding something sensible

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Per day cos were loving insane cunts

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

My mother was shaking when I finally brought her her two half pints of Skol. The DTs are no joke.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In Aus bottle shops were specifically allowed to be open when pubs and such had to close because they "weren't places of social gathering" or whatever. I walked past my local one when picking up groceries the other day, they had a limited supply of toilet paper rolls they were selling at-cost to regular customers. Support local business, yo.

Hell Yeah posted:

in the US fosters is disgusting piss water do they actually drink it in aus? is it different?
No and no, respectively.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
So if they are not essential, do I just pour a teaspoon of yeast into a gallon of juice with a balloon over the top?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Edgar posted:

So if they are not essential, do I just pour a teaspoon of yeast into a gallon of juice with a balloon over the top?

takes 2 weeks to ferment, so you would've needed to start a while ago.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

A little investing tip:

If/when the liquor stores get shut down the jenkem market is going to up uP UP! I mean like skyrocketing up.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

So I've been drinking hand sanitizer for nothing?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's sad lol

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Rivethead posted:

So I've been drinking hand sanitizer for nothing?

uh, you are supposed to snort it

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
They really are essential when the main concern right now is medical infrastructure and DT's require medical treatment or possible death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

A Grand Egg posted:

24 beers a slab

30 is a block

a case of beer or a 24-pack or 30-pack of beer works fine. why slang for everything in australia and uk? why