Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It’s that wonderful time of year when Atlus tosses out another rerelease of a beloved (your mileage may vary) game for full price and we all loving lap it up like the suckers we are. This time, it’s Persona 5, a game that was already probably too long, but hey, what else are you doing right now? Trying not to die from the plague? To commemorate the launch of Persona 5 Royal, I figured I’d throw together a little thread to explain some of the new changes.

New Playable Character!

That’s right, there’s a new teenager for you to get weird about! Her name is Kasumi Yoshizawa, and she’s voiced by Laura Post!

New Region!

You can now explore Kichijoji, a new region of Tokyo! Play darts and billiards with your friends!

New Confidants!

In addition to Kasumi’s new Confidant, there’s a brand new character named Takuto Maruki with their own! Also, Akechi’s old Confidant story has been loving thrown in the garbage and isn’t story-based any more!

New Semester and New Story Scenes!

There are a bunch of new group scenes with the cast. Also, another month or so has been added on to the end of the game, including a new Palace!

:siren: The third semester and new true ending have specific requirements, which I will spoil here:
Third semester: Get Maruki’s Confidant to Rank 9 by 11/17, True Ending: do that, plus get Akechi to Rank 8 by 11/17, as well as answer questions correctly (the answers are obvious) on 1/9 and 2/2. Also, I should mention that apparently you can’t finish Kasumi’s Confidant if you don’t get her to Rank 5 by 12/22. :siren:

Combat and Palace Overhauls!

There’s a lot to cover here, so I’ll just rush through it: Third-form Personas for party members! Completely reworked boss fights! New stuff to find in dungeons! Special “Showtime” team attacks! Ammunition restocks after battle! New Persona mechanics! New fusion mechanics! New optional fights! You don’t have to loving unlock Baton Pass any more!

There have apparently also been reworks to every Palace, including the addition of a grappling hook! Maybe the ship won’t suck this time!

New Music!

They’re not gonna top Rivers in the Desert though, eh.

Some Weird Thieves’ Den Bonus Feature I Don’t Really Understand!

Yeah.

Marginally Less Homophobia!

They actually fixed that poo poo in localization this time!

Morgana’s Less of a Nag!

Down with bedtime!

MEMENTOS IS LESS BAD!

HOLY poo poo THERE’S NEW MUSIC AND EVERYTHING

And much more! Well, not that much more, but there’s stuff I didn’t mention. If this sounds good, enjoy yourself! If it sounds like not enough to justify its own existence, you’re probably right! Whatever!

Persona 5 Royal comes out on March 31.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
My copy just arrived (SimplyGames in the UK), but my partner is roughly halfway through Alien Isolation and wants to finish it before we crack persona open. He's currently on mission 7 (a flashback sequence), how long does he have left?

E: thanks for making the thread by the way, Persona 5 is one of my favourite games despite its flaws. Excited to see what's changed!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Oh my god this all sounds so good! I’ve been battling the hype for months now but I am so tempted to shell out full retail for P5R. Platinumed base P5 at launch, but I love me some Persona.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
did they fix the entire plot and setting to be less cowardly and mediocre this time around?

P5 only escapes being the worst in the series because P1 is one step from unplayable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Utgardaloki posted:

did they fix the entire plot and setting to be less cowardly and mediocre this time around?

P5 only escapes being the worst in the series because P1 is one step from unplayable.

most of the new content is back-ended into the final arc and from everything i've read it's incredibly silly soap-opera bullshit that's just as scared of the game's purported themes as everything else

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am ready to leave everything to the grown-ups

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
As far as the story being "cowardly", the Persona games are always "RPGs set in the real world", so in order to preserve that setting for future games they can't end with the world or society being radically transformed into something we wouldn't recognize as just the real world. So every Persona game ends with a return to the status quo and most people not remembering the events of the game. Ending with society massively transformed is more mainline SMT territory where the setting is usually already established as being after the apocalypse. Also every numbered game since 3 has been based around a school year with balancing student life with dungeon exploration, so they can't disrupt the daily life of the main character too much during the course of the game.
I think that during the long wait for P5 the tone of a lot of the pre-release information had misled people to hope that the Phantom Thieves would lead a Marxist revolution to overthrow the government or some similar thing, though having the story end like this would be a radical departure from the established conventions of the series and mean that Atlus couldn't do the sequels/spinoffs that they love so much. So considering all of that it's understandable why they went the direction that they did.
P5 is more of a superhero type story with the main characters as vigilantes fighting against villains that can't be touched by the law. Overall they did a decent job of this, though the main flaw in my opinion is that the very beginning with Kamoshida and his arc was stronger than most of the forgettable bad guys that followed afterwards.
My least favorite story in the series is 3 just since it doesn't deal with the series theme of "a world shaped by people's thoughts" other than just "there is secretly a big 250 floor dungeon because people in general are depressed and lust for death I guess".

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Really wondering if I should go hog wild and buy the $100 edition and get all the DLC packs or if they'd even be worth it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Really loved Persona 5, I am one of the people who was new to the series and I basically 100% persona 5, replayed it a 2nd time to get the extra personas.
I know a lot of people love the social aspect of these games and those were fun but my favorite part was the combat and combing personas to find the perfect persona.

I want to get this but my backlog is huge and my total playtime in the base game was ridiculous like 140 hours or something. The reviews seem to make it seem all the newer stuff is later on? Not sure. I'll get it for sure but not sure if right on release or a month or two down the line. Anyway interested in seeing people's opinion on the new content and changes here so please post em when you do play it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The quarantine definitely helps make this a day 1 purchase for me.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got through the vast majority of P5 on release during a week where my wife was away, and literally all I did that week was drag myself out of bed to the couch, play the game for 12 hours a day, then sleep and repeat. I can't remember the last time a game grabbed me like that, it was nuts. I won't be getting this though, I think that week well and truly gave me enough of the game to last a lifetime.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Ulio posted:

Really loved Persona 5, I am one of the people who was new to the series and I basically 100% persona 5, replayed it a 2nd time to get the extra personas.
I know a lot of people love the social aspect of these games and those were fun but my favorite part was the combat and combing personas to find the perfect persona.

I want to get this but my backlog is huge and my total playtime in the base game was ridiculous like 140 hours or something. The reviews seem to make it seem all the newer stuff is later on? Not sure. I'll get it for sure but not sure if right on release or a month or two down the line. Anyway interested in seeing people's opinion on the new content and changes here so please post em when you do play it.

I'm sort of in the same boat, where I'd love to play an expanded version of Persona 5 (in fact, I thought to wait until P5 got an expanded release like 3 and 4 did), but I've got at least a dozen other RPGs I've yet to play through. I'm thinking I'll wait until it gets a price cut.

Another issue I have is that I never got Platinum for P5, so I don't know if P5R transfers over any of the trophy data for the original (I would assume not). If I was going to go for Platinum, I'd probably do it via P5R.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
My physical copy might not get to me at launch for obvious reasons. Sucks but I get it. Good news is that I get to finish my first time persona 3 play through!

I will be following this thread though for reactions though. Hope everyone has fun!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Does this game add a bunch of new events throughout the year like P4G did with the beach scene and the band scene? All the stuff i've seen has been about the new semester and combat changes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJ posted:

Does this game add a bunch of new events throughout the year like P4G did with the beach scene and the band scene? All the stuff i've seen has been about the new semester and combat changes.

it adds more exposition after every event if that counts!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I heard a rumor a while back that this would be for Switch or something but it's not and now I'm sad.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I heard a rumor a while back that this would be for Switch or something but it's not and now I'm sad.

Instead we are getting Catherine full Body and possibly a Dynasty warriors spinoff.

Would love this on switch (and the other persona games remastered or rereleased on the Switch for that matter) but I doubt that will happen

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hey guys Atlus released a game on PC in the year of our lord 2020, so anything is possible unless corona kills us all before that. I would day 1 buy P5R on PC but PS4 I will wait a bit a month or two.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, it's not on the switch? I could have sworn it was going to be, did I completely misunderstand?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, it's not on the switch? I could have sworn it was going to be, did I completely misunderstand?

royal is ps4 exclusive, the switch gets strikers, which is a musou-ish sequel to the original game

like a sequel sequel, not just a remaster/update

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Strikers is also on PS4

The preload is supposed to start tomorrow. Sony is limiting download speeds due to the virus so it's probably best to start it as soon as possible.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
I feel like I'm having a mandela effect here. I would've been prepared to swear P5 Royal was coming out on the Switch up until just now. Like, I was getting ready to preorder and get and downloading here in a bit.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

I feel like I'm having a mandela effect here. I would've been prepared to swear P5 Royal was coming out on the Switch up until just now. Like, I was getting ready to preorder and get and downloading here in a bit.

There were so many rumors about P5S being a switch port that it doesn’t surprise me that you are questioning it. It lead to many people melting down at atlus for them reading to much into/ buying into internet speculation.

I will still hold long shot hopes for a switch port though because lord would that be amazing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nah man, these menus are gonna be too high-res, your switch would explode

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Back in late 2018 when Joker had just appeared in Smash, there was a Persona music concert teasing new game announcements. The project names were P5R and P5S. The first night revealed Persona 5 Royal for PS4 and by that point everyone was going "P5S is Persona 5 Switch" People lost interest after it was revealed to be a Koei Tecmo Warriors game. More recently an Atlus West PR person said they needed to hear from fans during a media event which had a hashtag trending. But yeah nothing from the Japanese division or any Korean rating leaks like with Catherine.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I leave my Switch docked 100% of the time so I’m not particularly interested in a Switch port.

What I really want and have been saying for years is a mobile port of Persona 3 Portable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't even really like Persona 3 that much, and I really doubt they'll do it because it would be significantly more work than normal, to the point it would be more of a full remake, but if they did another version of P3 with the female route and the classic presentation stuff added back in I'd probably play it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Persona 3 Portable was my intro to not just the Persona games but the SMT franchise as a whole. It’ll always hold a special place in my heart because of that.

Eager for goon reviews of P5R soon like most of the rest of the thread. I’m still having fun with FFXIV but I’m agonizing over whether to pick up Dragon Quest 11 on Switch or Persona 5 Royal on PS4. Paying full price for games feels real bad, but either will certainly fill the time during this whole self-isolating thing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really do not know if I want this. I mean, I liked what I played of P5 but I got tired of it around September. Honestly I am not sure if I have it in me for the way modern Persona is structured anymore, even though I loved P4. :corsair:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

What I really want and have been saying for years is a mobile port of Persona 3 Portable.

Just saying, but there's a full speed PSP emulator called PPSSPP you can get on smartphones.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I bought P3P and P3FES from goons here in the past year after beating 5 (my first introduction to the series). I appreciate both for what they are doing and they are all fun but I rage harder on this one then I did learning the ropes on 5. Little things that didn’t bother me in 5 irritated me more in 3 (not controlling party members, wild spikes in difficulty out of nowhere, seemingly increased fickleness of Social Link progression, etc) Im still enjoying it but it’s just rougher on the whole for me going back from 5 to 3

I also have P4 that I got at the same time, but I’m not sure if I’ll ever get to that outside of taking a week of vacation time and doing nothing but veg during the entire time.

Unless they make it portable on the switch and then it becomes so much more accessible to me. Make that happen atlus...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Haha I just checked my save file 60 goddamned hours in the start of September gently caress that.

Anyway see you guys in a week after I break down and get this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd probably hold off on P5R in any other instance but with it looking like I'm still going to be stuck indoors for the foreseeable future...

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Watching some videos of the new semester stuff, it's going to be interesting to see if and how they manage not to completely gently caress the pacing of the game. At least in P4G they put all the dumb Marie stuff before the last boss. In this one they just stuck a whole new storyline on to the end.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Big improvements to the translation of old events would be a selling point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they apparently tweaked some of the worst lines but it's not the top-to-bottom overhaul that certain parts of the game (mainly the entire opening act and the beginning of kaneshiro's palace) desperately needed

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
P3P had generally the most interesting story of 3-4-5, but man is the pacing abysmal. There's also not much to do since it was the first of it's kind.

It's still my favorite after IS and EP, though.

Oxxidation posted:

they apparently tweaked some of the worst lines but it's not the top-to-bottom overhaul that certain parts of the game (mainly the entire opening act and the beginning of kaneshiro's palace) desperately needed

Not a surprise considering most people liked P5 a lot. Anecdotally, a lot of people who'd never played an SMT game (including P3/4) tried P5 and absolutely loved it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Persona 5 Royal can now be downloaded. 38.627 GB total download size.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cuntellectual posted:

Not a surprise considering most people liked P5 a lot. Anecdotally, a lot of people who'd never played an SMT game (including P3/4) tried P5 and absolutely loved it.

That's pretty spot on: I had read up on the SMT franchise a long time ago, and I wanted to play one of the Persona games, but I could never settle on one because of screwy the releases are. Then Persona 5 came out and it seemed like everybody was talking about it, so I decided to pick it up, and I thought it was one of the best games I played that year.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Unlucky7 posted:

I really do not know if I want this. I mean, I liked what I played of P5 but I got tired of it around September. Honestly I am not sure if I have it in me for the way modern Persona is structured anymore, even though I loved P4. :corsair:

You should really consider P5S whenever it comes out in English, it's pretty similar to P5 in all ways except for being an action-RPG instead of having turn based combat. But fortunately the calendar advances based on the plot so you never have the long stretches of waiting with nothing to do but social links and endless "all we can do is wait" text chats. Compared to that you jump into the next dungeon fairly quickly after finishing the last one.