Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm on September 19th and at rank 6 with Akechi and rank 5 with Maruki. Will I have enough time to get them to rank 9 by the November 18th deadline? (Kasumi is maxed out.) It was super annoying that you're locked out of Maruki for the entire summer and even after school begins. And Akechi barely wanted to do poo poo during that period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm on September 19th and at rank 6 with Akechi and rank 5 with Maruki. Will I have enough time to get them to rank 9 by the November 18th deadline? (Kasumi is maxed out.) It was super annoying that you're locked out of Maruki for the entire summer and even after school begins. And Akechi barely wanted to do poo poo during that period of time.

You have 2 months, you have more than enough time.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Detective No. 27 posted:

Those are both at their caps for being at september 19, they're story locked.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That is the right place to be for both links. Be aware that to complete them you will still need to spend time but they should be very straightforward.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Geostomp posted:

He flat out says he only cares about it having enough cash to not completely go under so he can use it as his escape from all the Shido-related crap.

ChaosArgate posted:

There's no way Sojiro isn't running Leblanc as a quiet post-retirement thing to give himself something to do during the day.

Ultiville posted:

I get the pretty strong impression Leblanc is already money-negative and Sojiro has some government hush money or something he's just burning through running it as therapy. I'm not sure it's possible to drive him out of business.

arisu posted:

Guess that's true. He's also fueling Futaba's server equipment. Guy's got dirty money somehwere.

Sojiro is rich. Really rich. Like, just his house and LeBlanc represent millions of dollars in real estate easily.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok cool, that's good to know.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Stroth posted:

Sojiro is rich. Really rich. Like, just his house and LeBlanc represent millions of dollars in real estate easily.

In the US sure, but in Japan property isn't really viewed the same way. Property there is valued and thought of more as "a place to live, a place to conduct business" vs an asset you sit on and invest in to increase its value. Owning a single family home and a storefront in the middle of a major city isn't really a huge signifier of wealth like it would be in the States.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Not really the thread to ask, but anyone tried Persona 5 Scramble yet? Thinking about importing it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Sydin posted:

Owning a single family home and a storefront in the middle of a major city isn't really a huge signifier of wealth like it would be in the States.

Just because it's not a status symbol doesn't change the fact that the man owns millions of dollars worth of real estate in one of the most expensive areas of Tokyo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Am I more or less correct in assuming that you can actually forego a skill like Samarecarm on a party member? My Morgana hit rank 10 and is learning Evade Elec, and while that isn't a huge deal (since you can usually just avoid using people against enemies that hit their weaakness), it seems like it's easy to just afford items that do the same thing as Samarecarm. You can also get items for some other important things (like Debilitate or status effects), but those seem more difficult to acquire in large numbers.

Also, Mementos recently became even more broken. If you encounter the lootable item at the beginning of a floor, it gives 11 full SP items. That's absolutely insane.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Ytlaya posted:

Am I more or less correct in assuming that you can actually forego a skill like Samarecarm on a party member? My Morgana hit rank 10 and is learning Evade Elec, and while that isn't a huge deal (since you can usually just avoid using people against enemies that hit their weaakness), it seems like it's easy to just afford items that do the same thing as Samarecarm. You can also get items for some other important things (like Debilitate or status effects), but those seem more difficult to acquire in large numbers.

Also, Mementos recently became even more broken. If you encounter the lootable item at the beginning of a floor, it gives 11 full SP items. That's absolutely insane.

yeah you should be wallowing in money and it's a lot easier to just buy samarecarm items, the debil ones are plentiful from the credits you get from selling dirty clothes too which are easy to pile up in mementos at the same time, i just focused my dudes mostly on one damage type with a dusting of mediarahans here or there, but unless you're doing the secret boss stuff you don't need to optimize that severely, money can carry you through pretty easy

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
You can always re-spec at the church, too.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
lmao the pancake line I forgot that there's like a full minute between the line and them turning the corner. Just imagining Akechi hiding behind the corner and trying to figure out the perfect moment to nonchalantly pass by

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zvahl posted:

yeah you should be wallowing in money and it's a lot easier to just buy samarecarm items, the debil ones are plentiful from the credits you get from selling dirty clothes too which are easy to pile up in mementos at the same time, i just focused my dudes mostly on one damage type with a dusting of mediarahans here or there, but unless you're doing the secret boss stuff you don't need to optimize that severely, money can carry you through pretty easy

You don't even need to optimize to beat the new secret boss, just max leveled. You make sure to have your weakness evasion skills, and it helps (but isn't necessary) to be stage three and have someone with an elemental break ability.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Stroth posted:

Just because it's not a status symbol doesn't change the fact that the man owns millions of dollars worth of real estate in one of the most expensive areas of Tokyo.

I wasn't talking about it being a status symbol, I was saying property != wealth the same way it does in the West for the most part in Japan. Sojiro owning a house and a cafe doesn't make him rich in Japan.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sydin posted:

I wasn't talking about it being a status symbol, I was saying property != wealth the same way it does in the West for the most part in Japan. Sojiro owning a house and a cafe doesn't make him rich in Japan.

What sort of definition of "rich" are you using other than "has a lot of money." Him owning that specific house and that specific cafe might not signify anything culturally, but they would have costed him an amount of money that would require one to be rich to afford. Someone who was not rich could not have purchased both of those things.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Once again: you're thinking from a western perspective in that buying property = that property retaining or gaining in value over time, and thus signifying wealth. This is not the case. Japan is very utilitarian in how it views property, and property routinely loses value over time and is demolished to make room for new, more modern property. Sojiro owning a house and a cafe in Yogen signifies he at one time had a lot of money, but it doesn't mean he has a lot of money at the time the game starts. It's very probable that his house and cafe had depreciated in value significantly in the few years he's owned them, and that they will continue to depreciate in value.

You cannot equate property to wealth in Japan like you can in the West outside of very specific circumstances because the way they treat and evaluate property is radically different from Western sensibilities.

e. If anything it supports the idea that he took a large amount of hush money from members of the conspiracy for not prying into Wakabe's death and falling off the map. He used that money get a nice foothold in Yogen and is keeping his head above water with his meager Lablanc sales and government pension.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 24, 2020

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

E2M2 posted:

Not really the thread to ask, but anyone tried Persona 5 Scramble yet? Thinking about importing it.

Yeah, have played through it to the end and it's a very good game. Happy to answer anything about it.
While it is technically based on the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games it is heavily modified to play and feel similar to P5. Most of the time you will be sneaking around dungeons and ambushing small groups of enemies, using spells to hit weaknesses to do all-out attacks, etc. Sometimes there will be set pieces where you fight huge waves of enemies which is where it feels the most like a Warriors game.
It looks and sounds a lot like P5; the new and remixed music is mostly excellent as you might guess.
The story overall has a lot lighter tone than the original P5 but still has some tense and good moments, it's overall a pretty good sequel that builds on the themes of the original.
There are no social links, instead you get points that you can use to level up personas quickly and points to spend on different skills for the overall party that are similar to the social link benefits of P5. The calendar only advances according to the plot and coming to the end of a dungeon, so there is no stress over time management and also no waiting for weeks after you finish a dungeon reading 10 different text conversations about "Did the change of heart work this time? All we can do is wait", etc.
It's shorter than P5 (which shouldn't be surprising at all) but still a decently long game.
There's also a demo of it on the Japanese Switch eShop and I believe also the Japanese PlayStation store. Though it's not very long, only covering the first tutorial area, it will give you a bit of an idea of how it plays.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you're looking for an entry-level absolute monster Persona, Seth has One-Shot Kill and Gun Amp. White Rider has Triple Down and Gun Boost, so if you can pass those over to any of Seth's fusion parts you're set for a LONG time. Apt Pupil boosts crit rate and can be gotten in skill card form by doing a Hold Up on Andras, which is a really good one to duplicate from Yusuke. Some vanity skills would be Attack Master, Life Aid, Speed Master, and Charge. I used basically this exact build in my first playthrough and didn't have to fuse Personas again until the middle of the Seventh palace.

Thanks dude! I’m curious about this but I’m not sure who Seth or White Ricer are

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Frog Act posted:

Thanks dude! I’m curious about this but I’m not sure who Seth or White Ricer are

White Ricer - looks like a white dude with a lovely fade haircut and a lot of gold chains, standing in front of a Honda Civic with a fake blower on the hood and a fart pipe exhaust.

:v:

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Item Getter posted:

Yeah, have played through it to the end and it's a very good game. Happy to answer anything about it.
While it is technically based on the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games it is heavily modified to play and feel similar to P5. Most of the time you will be sneaking around dungeons and ambushing small groups of enemies, using spells to hit weaknesses to do all-out attacks, etc. Sometimes there will be set pieces where you fight huge waves of enemies which is where it feels the most like a Warriors game.
It looks and sounds a lot like P5; the new and remixed music is mostly excellent as you might guess.
The story overall has a lot lighter tone than the original P5 but still has some tense and good moments, it's overall a pretty good sequel that builds on the themes of the original.
There are no social links, instead you get points that you can use to level up personas quickly and points to spend on different skills for the overall party that are similar to the social link benefits of P5. The calendar only advances according to the plot and coming to the end of a dungeon, so there is no stress over time management and also no waiting for weeks after you finish a dungeon reading 10 different text conversations about "Did the change of heart work this time? All we can do is wait", etc.
It's shorter than P5 (which shouldn't be surprising at all) but still a decently long game.
There's also a demo of it on the Japanese Switch eShop and I believe also the Japanese PlayStation store. Though it's not very long, only covering the first tutorial area, it will give you a bit of an idea of how it plays.

Playable as a nonJP speaker/reader?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

E2M2 posted:

Playable as a nonJP speaker/reader?

Nope. Sorry. Thanks to the pandemic, we have no idea when the translated version will be released

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Geostomp posted:

Nope. Sorry. Thanks to the pandemic, we have no idea when the translated version will be released

There’s a big event end of June that has Atlus, Sega, and KT all as headliners. There’s also some leaks about this event being the English release announcement.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Frog Act posted:

Seth should be one of the demons you're able to multi-persona fuse as soon as you unlock the feature, which you should have by now

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sydin posted:

Once again: you're thinking from a western perspective in that buying property = that property retaining or gaining in value over time, and thus signifying wealth. This is not the case. Japan is very utilitarian in how it views property, and property routinely loses value over time and is demolished to make room for new, more modern property. Sojiro owning a house and a cafe in Yogen signifies he at one time had a lot of money, but it doesn't mean he has a lot of money at the time the game starts. It's very probable that his house and cafe had depreciated in value significantly in the few years he's owned them, and that they will continue to depreciate in value.

You cannot equate property to wealth in Japan like you can in the West outside of very specific circumstances because the way they treat and evaluate property is radically different from Western sensibilities.

e. If anything it supports the idea that he took a large amount of hush money from members of the conspiracy for not prying into Wakabe's death and falling off the map. He used that money get a nice foothold in Yogen and is keeping his head above water with his meager Lablanc sales and government pension.
In 2019 land in real-life Sangen-Jaya was worth an average of something like a million yen a square metre.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sydin posted:

Theres a difference between land and property improvements (housing and buildings). Land itself does not deprecate in value in Japan, is as a rule very expensive by American standards on account of being an island nation with a huge population, and would generally constitute the majority of a property's value, particularly in central Tokyo. Cafe LeBlanc is just waiting to be turned into a shiny new apartment building or shopping center and while the building itself might be valueless the land it sits on is extremely valuable and enough to make Sojiro rich as hell.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Heck I mean the entire first couple Yakuza games are driven by conflict over a teeny bit of unimproved property in Tokyo

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Geostomp posted:

Yea I know, just asking if I can stumble my way through playing it in Japanese or something. Maybe theres a translation guide somewhere.

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014
Does Haru seem a little bit more irritating to anyone this time around?

In her father's palace, no one can shut up about how badly her dad is treating his workers. But after he dies, she basically becomes a trust-fund kid, and her biggest concern for the company is... that the coffee they're serving doesn't taste good enough?

Not that I'm expecting amazing writing from a Persona game that's mostly focused on style, but why does this game present the characters as rebelling against societal norms that are hurting young people, when it's too scared to critique something as benign as who benefits from intergenerational wealth?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

rosenritter posted:

In her father's palace, no one can shut up about how badly her dad is treating his workers. But after he dies, she basically becomes a trust-fund kid, and her biggest concern for the company is... that the coffee they're serving doesn't taste good enough?

Not that I'm expecting amazing writing from a Persona game that's mostly focused on style, but why does this game present the characters as rebelling against societal norms that are hurting young people, when it's too scared to critique something as benign as who benefits from intergenerational wealth?

I'd say it's a step forward that the rich aren't portrayed as genetically superior superhumans who are talented at everything except for maybe eating hamburgers, like most anime does. Including Persona 3. By contrast, Haru seems almost like a person.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

E2M2 posted:

Yea I know, just asking if I can stumble my way through playing it in Japanese or something. Maybe theres a translation guide somewhere.

Not that I know of. Sorry I didn't address the language thing since you were talking about importing already.
If you are able to read or quickly pick up katakana with some flash cards or such you could get through the game by being able to read the standard SMT spell names. Outside of some side quests that give you directions to look in a particular place, as far as I can remember you don't need to be able to understand anything else to complete the game although of course knowing what items and skills do helps a lot. But I wouldn't really recommend it. Better to wait for the English release whenever that might end up being.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

rosenritter posted:

Her biggest concern in her side project she is using to help keep herself focused is how her coffee tastes. Her worry about the company is who to trust and how best to manage it so tht it is no longer the horrific entity it once was.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Does anyone else have this thing where the plain college student who hangs out with floral pants guy just vanishes from existence? Floral's been standing there talking to a disembodied voice for half the game now

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

rosenritter posted:

Haru is a teenage girl who was brought up to be, essentially, a trophy wife her father could marry off to some politician’s kid for power. She has not received anything remotely resembling the training she needs to run a large company. The main struggle she has in her confidant is that she wants to reform her family business into something respectable, but doesn’t know who to trust to help her do so. She knows that she’d be an easy mark for the vultures of the corporate world, so she’s getting stressed from the paranoia of the situation. Trying to break the agreement for the arraigned marriage her father set for her while her creeeper fiancée stalks around doesn’t help matters. Focusing on her dream of running a small cafe like her grandfather helps keep her from being overwhelmed from the pressure.

She’s got a lot more going on than just looking for good-tasting coffee.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 25, 2020

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Item Getter posted:

Not that I know of. Sorry I didn't address the language thing since you were talking about importing already.
If you are able to read or quickly pick up katakana with some flash cards or such you could get through the game by being able to read the standard SMT spell names. Outside of some side quests that give you directions to look in a particular place, as far as I can remember you don't need to be able to understand anything else to complete the game although of course knowing what items and skills do helps a lot. But I wouldn't really recommend it. Better to wait for the English release whenever that might end up being.

Yeah I figured. Worth asking I guess.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I'm watching the gb endurance run of persona 4 rn.

Holy poo poo. Yosuke is terrible.

That's all.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tabletops posted:

That's all.

There's a reason "God dammit Yosuke" is a meme.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Geostomp posted:

Haru is a teenage girl who was brought up to be, essentially, a trophy wife her father could marry off to some politician’s kid for power. She has not received anything remotely resembling the training she needs to run a large company. The main struggle she has in her confidant is that she wants to reform her family business into something respectable, but doesn’t know who to trust to help her do so. She knows that she’d be an easy mark for the vultures of the corporate world, so she’s getting stressed from the paranoia of the situation. Trying to break the agreement for the arraigned marriage her father set for her while her creeeper fiancée stalks around doesn’t help matters. Focusing on her dream of running a small cafe like her grandfather helps keep her from being overwhelmed from the pressure.

She’s got a lot more going on than just looking for good-tasting coffee.

The resolution of that S-Link makes it extremely clear how clueless Haru is with the company, you spend 8 stages with her fretting about her arranged marriage and the contract where if she backs out he gets control of the company and then the acting CEO just busts in and goes "What the gently caress are you talking about? We have a team of lawyers. We're one of the biggest companies in Japan. Just give it to them.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tabletops posted:

That's all.

Yosuke is what happens when you make a character who actually acts like a seventeen-year-old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The resolution of that S-Link makes it extremely clear how clueless Haru is with the company, you spend 8 stages with her fretting about her arranged marriage and the contract where if she backs out he gets control of the company and then the acting CEO just busts in and goes "What the gently caress are you talking about? We have a team of lawyers. We're one of the biggest companies in Japan. Just give it to them.

I also thought it was implied that the dude was outright lying about there even being a contract, when Haru brings it up the company guy says he's never seen or heard about any such agreement.

Yeah fair enough, the land itself would have plenty of value. Although I don't get the sense Sojiro is interested in selling. loving off to a cozy neighborhood to make the coffee and curry Futaba and Wakabe loved seems to be him living the dream, particularly after the conclusion of his Social Link.