Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
One of the most baffling things is that you don't just get a 3rd slot on your free days, like during weekdays it makes sense school takes up your time and you only have the afternoon and evening, but what about your free days, do you just sleep in until 4 pm :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Summer break would also feel a lot more meaningful if it meant that for the duration you got three time slots.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Zvahl posted:

Ann was the first link I maxed in royal just coincidentally and I know that "You have the others" isn't as brutal as the english translation lends it to be but I will never not pick that option because it's the funniest response to someone being open and vulnerable to you that could possibly be written

so i just romanced nobody and the batchelor valentine's day is funnier anyway

I appreciate that Mishima, having achieved individuation and started on the path to becoming a better, more confident person, is implied to have found love as well.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Polderjoch posted:

One of the most baffling things is that you don't just get a 3rd slot on your free days, like during weekdays it makes sense school takes up your time and you only have the afternoon and evening, but what about your free days, do you just sleep in until 4 pm :psyduck:

Sydin posted:

Summer break would also feel a lot more meaningful if it meant that for the duration you got three time slots.

Exactly. When basically nothing changes on off days, it breaks immersion more than normal. I could accept it after Palace Six since it made logical sense to limit movements, but Ren’s need for beauty sleep is costing me valuable interaction time.

Scramble spoiled me with the sheer efficiency the team displays when not locked to these arbitrary time restrictions.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
At least it feels like Royal gives you much more leeway in maximizing links. I'm like a week and a half away from finishing Shido's and my links are all done with only minor Fortune abuse. If I hadn't touched Fortune's readings it would have been close but I would probably still have either finished or maybe missed out on one or two at most.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I want to fight Shido over again just because the fight music fuckin slaps. Did Atlus ask Diana Ross to come up with parts of the OST?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

I want to fight Shido over again just because the fight music fuckin slaps. Did Atlus ask Diana Ross to come up with parts of the OST?

No idea but yeah, Rivers in the Desert is an amazing ost.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I wish I could go back in time to the first time I went back into Kamoshida's palace after sending the calling card and experiencing that badass rework of the theme for the first time again. Pumps you up and gets you stoked for the boss fight and it's so loving rad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jesus, this P4G PC port looks extremely pretty. This is dramatically better looking than using the PSTV with the Vita game. It makes sense for it to be possible to render all the 3D stuff in higher resolution, but I'm surprised all the art is also higher resolution (or at least it seems that way - I remember with the PSTV it was noticeably kind of fuzzy). I'm pretty sure the art on objects is also high resolution; these tatami mats like very sharp even on the 55" TV I'm playing this on.

I've actually never finished P4G, so I have a pretty good excuse to play this (being stuck at home due to the pandemic certainly doesn't hurt either). When I played P4G on the PSTV I only got to around where Naoto joins the party, so I've never seen the extra ending content (I played the original P4 back when it was originally released).

DrNutt posted:

I wish I could go back in time to the first time I went back into Kamoshida's palace after sending the calling card and experiencing that badass rework of the theme for the first time again. Pumps you up and gets you stoked for the boss fight and it's so loving rad.

I like the heartbeat effect during those sequences. Something about it adds a lot.

My opinion on the music in these games is that P5 has better battle and dungeon music, but P4 has better "overworld" music.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ytlaya posted:

I like the heartbeat effect during those sequences. Something about it adds a lot.

My opinion on the music in these games is that P5 has better battle and dungeon music, but P4 has better "overworld" music.

IMO P3 has the best overall soundtrack but that's with me taking into account the many hours I've played of all the Dancing games. By those standards 3 and 4 are very close with 5 nipping at their heels. Ultimately they all have amazing soundtracks but 3 has earworms that have burrowed in and never left.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrNutt posted:

IMO P3 has the best overall soundtrack but that's with me taking into account the many hours I've played of all the Dancing games. By those standards 3 and 4 are very close with 5 nipping at their heels. Ultimately they all have amazing soundtracks but 3 has earworms that have burrowed in and never left.

P3's is really good, yeah. I wasn't sure how to compare it. I think in terms of non-dungeon/battle music, I'd say P4>P3>P5, and battle P5>P3>P4. P4 benefits from the fact that I like the rural Japanese town setting much more than the ones in P3 or P5.

Both P3 and P4 are pretty nostalgic games for me. I remember sitting in my dorm during senior year of college (in 2007 I think) playing P3 by somehow plugging my PS2 into my computer monitor, and I did P4 soon after graduating during a period where I was try trying to study for actuarial exams (I ended up not becoming an actuary).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've come around that Persona Q2 has the best soundtrack because not only does it have remuxes of (most of) the best tracks from P3, 4, and 5, it also has the best vocal tracks featuring all the Persona artists TOGETHER.

Edit: Also, the sleeper hit of P5R is Prison Labor. Man, the guitar riffs on that track loving rock. :rock:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think all the games have enough earworms that you get really attached to depending on what game you played last, but as a generalized opinion I'd say that P5 has the best battle music, P4 has the best overworld and dungeon music (by a hair, P5 has some really good ones), and P3 has the best final boss music by far.

PQ2 has an amazing opening theme, but I think I'd still give PQ the edge over it just for the battle and ending themes.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
p4d was a deeply uninteresting game where someone finally put those amazing japanese video game remix albums to good use for once and put them in a video game

they also were sure to remember the most important p4 song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDutOwE0rd8

AlternateNu posted:

Edit: Also, the sleeper hit of P5R is Prison Labor. Man, the guitar riffs on that track loving rock. :rock:

i think this song gets more guff than it should because of where it is but it's still one of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHUUoFjkVcI

Zvahl fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 21, 2020

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ytlaya posted:

Jesus, this P4G PC port looks extremely pretty. This is dramatically better looking than using the PSTV with the Vita game. It makes sense for it to be possible to render all the 3D stuff in higher resolution, but I'm surprised all the art is also higher resolution (or at least it seems that way - I remember with the PSTV it was noticeably kind of fuzzy). I'm pretty sure the art on objects is also high resolution; these tatami mats like very sharp even on the 55" TV I'm playing this on.

I've actually never finished P4G, so I have a pretty good excuse to play this (being stuck at home due to the pandemic certainly doesn't hurt either). When I played P4G on the PSTV I only got to around where Naoto joins the party, so I've never seen the extra ending content (I played the original P4 back when it was originally released).

Atlus did the smart thing with the 2D assets and upscaled them (I think they used Waifu2x) so they would look great at significantly higher resolutions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

Atlus did the smart thing with the 2D assets and upscaled them (I think they used Waifu2x) so they would look great at significantly higher resolutions.

Is that actually the name of the program? That's amazing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's pronounced "Waifu Times Two"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Is that actually the name of the program? That's amazing.

modders have been using it to upscale the environments in PS1 Final Fantasy games

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zvahl posted:

p4d was a deeply uninteresting game where someone finally put those amazing japanese video game remix albums to good use for once and put them in a video game

they also were sure to remember the most important p4 song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDutOwE0rd8

yes, cool, that was great but try it happier and more japanese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn6OkkJ0twk&t=4950s

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yes, cool, that was great but try it happier and more japanese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn6OkkJ0twk&t=4950s

i know they got the dance right because nanako posing and doing the ス pose on the last syllable of junes is burned into my brain because it's the best thing

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That whole show is amazing but skip to 2:31:21 if you wanna see Lyn belt out one of the single most amazing vocal performances I've ever witnessed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

P4G JP voices trip report: everyone so far is really good (probably the only one I distinctly prefer over the dub so far is Yukiko) except for Yosuke and Teddy - the former sounds significantly more obnoxious in Japanese and the latter is somehow dramatically worse than even his dub. I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate a full game of JP Teddy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ytlaya posted:

P4G JP voices trip report: everyone so far is really good (probably the only one I distinctly prefer over the dub so far is Yukiko) except for Yosuke and Teddy - the former sounds significantly more obnoxious in Japanese and the latter is somehow dramatically worse than even his dub. I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate a full game of JP Teddy.

JP Teddy is annoying even to Japanese ears and just gets a massive multiplier for English.

Edit:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That whole show is amazing but skip to 2:31:21 if you wanna see Lyn belt out one of the single most amazing vocal performances I've ever witnessed

Also, holy poo poo. Lyn got some pipes. :stare:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 21, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yosuke's JP voice is growing on me some, though I still definitely prefer his dub (his dub gives him a lot more personality and matches his appearance better IMO - his JP voice seems like it would better match a character that looks similar to Junpei). I'm pretty confident Teddy will never grow on me, though (and it's going to be extremely weird once he gets his human body and still has that voice). I can't imagine someone playing P4 with these voices and preferring Teddy to Morgana.

AlternateNu posted:

JP Teddy is annoying even to Japanese ears and just gets a massive multiplier for English.

He's annoying in English, but he's somehow even more annoying in JP. He's a lot more..."screechy" in JP. Like if you took the dub Teddy and turned his voice up an octave and made him append "kuma" to sentences in a way that is somehow even more obnoxious than dub Teddy's bear puns.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

gently caress that last angel boss. Merciless trick saves the day again! What rear end in a top hat creates a bossfight where the adds can fully heal the boss? gently caress right off with that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ytlaya posted:

He's annoying in English, but he's somehow even more annoying in JP. He's a lot more..."screechy" in JP. Like if you took the dub Teddy and turned his voice up an octave and made him append "kuma" to sentences in a way that is somehow even more obnoxious than dub Teddy's bear puns.

I meant "English ears", not "in English". :shobon:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I played a couple hours last night and Chie's dub voice is... not great. As in wow, it's actively terrible. Everybody else so far has been fine: I can live with Teddie because at least so far he has significantly less dialogue than Morgana. I haven't felt like there's been any stand out performances yet but I also just beat Yosuke's shadow, so the game has a ton of time left for me to warm up to the dub.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

I played a couple hours last night and Chie's dub voice is... not great. As in wow, it's actively terrible. Everybody else so far has been fine: I can live with Teddie because at least so far he has significantly less dialogue than Morgana. I haven't felt like there's been any stand out performances yet but I also just beat Yosuke's shadow, so the game has a ton of time left for me to warm up to the dub.

People seem to like Erin Fitzgerald for the most part. She can really nail Chie overreacting (or, in other words 'speaking'). I remember some thought her original voice actor was too laid back.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i haven't played 4 in ~12 years so i don't remember at all what the unreplaced voices sound like

however, i am liking all the changes made from golden, altho the power creep seems to have greatly increased since by the 3rd dungeon i was mowing through everything in one round. i will probably go through NG+ when i finish it. i've been finding myself craving a 3 playthrough since i started this but my ps2 is deadzo after the dog peed on it so i can't play it on that. i'm hoping they push 3 & 5 to PC in the near future though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One kind of interesting thing from the P3-P5 soundtracks is how the English lyrics gradually progress from "almost complete gibberish" (Persona 3) to "generally quite good and completely correct in terms of grammar/vocabulary, with just the occasional weird pacing" (P5).

Unrelated, but the gameplay addition to P5 I find myself missing the most in P4 is the baton pass. The baton pass was a really great addition for making battles proceed more smoothly.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Chie's new VA is bad when she's being over excited, but for her regular dialog she sounds fine and a million times better than the tired granny that old Chia VA was. Chie is supposed to be an energetic girl, at least the new VA matches that character type.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ytlaya posted:

Unrelated, but the gameplay addition to P5 I find myself missing the most in P4 is the baton pass. The baton pass was a really great addition for making battles proceed more smoothly.

:agreed:
My default build in 4 was that Yu blew up everything during the surprise turn, recover SP through cool breeze. Baton pass is so slick and relaxes the requirements for dungeon dives.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other thing I find (in P4G) is that it's often a good idea to attack after downing an enemy instead of doing an All-Out Attack, because it makes the enemy dizzy (and All-Out Attacks seem to do very little damage against certain enemies - I think the ones that resist physical damage?)

Like against the Yukiko Castle boss, it was more damage to use Bufu again after downing her than it was to do an All-Out Attack (though I did an All-Out Attack when the prince was out).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at least in the original game, kanji was designed to absolutely massacre any enemy that got knocked off its feet

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is it P4G where Chie gets hilariously broken at higher levels?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
level up chie satonaka
until she learns bufu
use it in boss fights
die in your sleep

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Ytlaya posted:

and All-Out Attacks seem to do very little damage against certain enemies - I think the ones that resist physical damage?

Almighty. Some enemies resist almighty for some reason.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dawgstar posted:

Is it P4G where Chie gets hilariously broken at higher levels?

Yes and no. She got better. But the big reason she was used was because she was the best physical attacker in vanilla because she was the only one who learned Charge/God Hand. Once you got the option to give Kanji Charge in P4G, she became less of a necessity.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stroth posted:

Almighty. Some enemies resist almighty for some reason.

I hate those enemies for making me disappoint my friends. They're always so sad when you cancel an all-out attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I hit my first dialogue where it told me I didn't have the stats to say it (jokingly asking Chie if she's into you) and I just beat her shadow and haven't really had much indication at all of how to raise my social stats. Is this a Shido elevator dialogue thing where you're not realistically expected to have the stat at this point and so it's more a NG+ thing, or have I been missing opportunities to level them?

So far I've only gotten a couple points, I got some courage for talking back to Mr. Overbite during my class introduction, and a point of knowledge for answering a classroom question correctly. I think that's it though.