Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Most of her social links are miles better than the male arc's. It leads to some weird situations where Junpei being your best friend and resolving to support you in all things one minute, and then being his usually pissbitch mode the next time you go to Tartarus. It also removes terrible poo poo like OG Moon. I think you get a bit more girl time with some of the random outtings and events so you get some different viewpoints. And you can get more Shinjiro time.

I liked FES better overall, but P3PF's links are generally much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Every loving time I think Shoji Meguro isn't going to top his prior work, he steps up and smashes it out of the park. Will Power, Blooming Villain, and Rivers in the Desert were amazing, and then comes Keep Your Faith and Throw Away Your Mask. They fit those two fights so well too. Not to mention I believe, Take Over, and Penal Labor.

The Royal OST isn't available to buy anywhere yet, is it? I have the collectors edition disk but that only seems to come with half the songs.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
And then immediately changes his mind and says it wouldn't be that bad.

Haru is best anyways. If only because her rejection is the worst, and in the third semester basically volunteers to off Akechi if he fucks up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ytlaya posted:

I'm in the third semester now, and Maruki is basically correct if he can fix the whole "cognitive dissonance making people confused when they notice glitches in the matrix" issue. These dumbass kids know nothing of the world*. There are presumably billions of people who are now being saved from traumatic/fatal situations due to this. To the game's credit, Maruki is actually acting in good faith and it provides a fairly convincing argument in his favor.

I'm also a little confused about the logistics of this whole situation. What happens if two people have mutually exclusive wishes? Initially I assumed it was a "everyone has their own ideal reality" situation, but then they explicitly mentioned that people like Wakaba or Haru's dad are actually officially alive in this world. Granted, random NPC dialogue seems to be indicating that issues are arising as a result of this, with a bunch of people saying things that amount to "I'm going to do (bad decision) because I'm so happy and who cares!" or reacting with confusion to their loved ones making out-of-character choices.

I think the logistics and issues with Maruki's plan show the faults in it. He shows he wants people to give up on dreams if they're too hard, because that can cause stress and disappointment. If people have mutually exclusive desires, he can erase them - totally change someone's personality, because it's the easy answer, and he's looking for easy answers.

On the other hand, everyone in the main party (and basically everyone Joker interacts with) has had their problems and traumas, and not trying to weigh one up against the other, they overcome and become better. It's a long, hard, road, and in the end they overcome, become stronger, and something I wish they would have brought up, have an unbreakable bond of friendship with eachother that would never have started if their problems just vanished.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I cleared Royal at about 120 hours. I felt like I played fairly thoroughly and took my time, but I also left the game running while cooking or doing housework and all that, so my time might be a bit inflated.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Mona loving sucks.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't see a lot of horniness for Ann outside of a few scenes. Yusuke is weird about it, and he's approaching from some non sexual appreciation of beauty, and then when they're all in the monamobile in the desert. Otherwise I can't remember anyone else really bringing it up. Mona is just non stop horny about Ann and I find it well passes anything funny and right into creepy.

He's also non stop relentless to Ryuji. Mona is straight up vitriolic towards him; nothing like banter between friends. And this is the dude that got involved soley because he wants to help other people. Mona just joined up because he wanted to use the two suckers he ran into. The fight between them is needlessly insulting towards Mona, especially Ryuji calling him useless, but Ryuji takes a lot before that point.

gently caress Mona.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think she can really hate her outfit. It derives from her inner desires of rebellions and represents the power she wants. It's her own self expression.

She does have a lot of generic sexy going on, as you say, but I never saw it go much deeper than that. I can see how people would read it that way though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Judgement is a weird arcana set. It's like Anubis and the Abrahamic A-Team.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know. I could use a 1 month coma now and then.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was upset at the Momentos music at first, but the first block is tiny and then other block songs are pretty good.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
3 is the same formula is 5, but there's been so many quality of life and mechanics changes since then it might be hard for someone to go back to 3.

I still think the tone and themes of 3 are among the best in the series, but it's going to feel like a really old game in comparison. You can't manually control party members, you can't manually select persona ability inheritance, the dungeon is all random generated, there's less bonus fun stuff going on, etc. Some of the social links are downright atrocious.

4G you can probably get into. I played it after 5 came out and it held up.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 10, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the worst thing about going back to P3 would be the inheritance rules. Cancelling and reselecting your fusion for 10 minutes just so you can inherit the right set of skills was great.

Running around the world wasn't too bad because the soundtrack was lit as gently caress, and you always saw when the NPCs and their little plots updated.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You'll probably unlock this in a couple hours so it will all make sense. Personas are expendable and meant to be fused often. Don't hold onto one longer than it's useful.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've always played 4 with my party members on Auto, except on bosses. I can't remember though, can you give orders like in 3? Assault, knock down, support, etc?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
While we're making a wishlist, I'd take P3FES, and add in the P3P female route and qol changes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

chaosapiant posted:

Since I just got P5R on PS4 and P4G on Steam, I’m repaying both. I’ve decided that Ryuji’s Persona moment is more better than Yosuke’s Persona moment.

Yeah. Ryuji had a way better motivation, and a lot more at stake.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How else are you going to hit someone with a folding chair?

Plus he learns Matarukaja.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 24, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sockser posted:

When I get to the third semester, will I still have hangout time that I can use to max Haru or am I stuck with her where she's at now?

You get hangout time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It took a bit to grow into Chie's voice but by the end I preferred it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yosuke is probably the worst of the first party members, character wise. He's always held his weight in battle, but as a character there's not much there. I'll take Junpei's hero complex before him.

Ryuji's still the best though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought the Maruki fights were great. Definitely helped by the soundtrack though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's good, but I wouldn't say it's broken. Just an end game skill that lets you save a couple turns.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Feels Villeneuve posted:

just found out Akechi unlocks as a Tycoon opponent after Christmas in the Thieves Den, goty

I probably have a dozen or more hours playing Tycoon. Basically the same thing I played in high school with everyone, but instead of real people I get to play it with anime kids while in a pandemic lockdown.

Getting the game's soundtrack to play to was a nice touch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

eonwe posted:

so I've never played a persona game before

I beat the first boss and I'm sorta trying to work on getting my companions bonds / my stats up. I have a 2 in every stat except the one you boost from traps, and I've gotten a few ranks with every bond I've been introduced to so far.

I'm on like 5/15 or something.

I guess I'm trying to decide if I'm making good progress, or if I'm behind, etc.

As long as you're doing something with a benefit, your time is being spent well. You won't see absolutely every link from every character, but there's more than enough time to see everything you care about.