Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Did they localize the classroom answers? I can't imagine the devil's dictionary is well-known at all in Japan. It's definitely preferable to Persona 4 where they would expect you to know obscure regional Japanese dishes and the mythology behind them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Gruckles posted:

I really enjoy that the narrative conceit for getting a game over from missing a palace deadline is Joker's drug-addled mind misremembering how he got arrested, causing Sae to give up on listening to his story. However she's also like "A talking cat taught you about another dimension that you can travel to with a mysterious phone app? Please continue."

I like that the game starts with the investigator begrudgingly letting her do it but to "make it quick" and then Joker painstakingly tells her about how he worked at the beef bowl on the 18th of may and then on the 19th he managed to find a seat on the train and read about Zorro on the way to school where his teacher asked him about maps and then after school...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Not really that into Ann but thinking about dating her just to piss off my cat.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

What exactly are the personas I encounter in the palaces and Mementos? Are they tied to actual peoples personalities? Am I causing cognitive shutdowns left and right when I go through these things but its not anyone evil and important so who cares?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

3 extra years of development time and they still couldn't add glasses to the fireworks scene so Ann doesn't tell me how "special" it would be to bump around everywhere near-sighted for the festival.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I've only gotten 3 showtime animations so far but I really like that Fox and Skulls feature audience participation from the monster

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I can't believe this game's 120 hours long but its still so rushed to try to get all the confidants done.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Wanted to finish my confidants before the third semester, was freaked out because it seemed like I wouldn't make it, then finished by maxing out Futaba literally one day before the end of the original game. Feels good man.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I lile that whenever I try to negotiate with a Shadow based on an Angel they try to convert me to Christianity. That really tickles me.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

This school spent two whole days pulling every teacher off their actual jobs to go look around for a cat and then the next 8 months a student just walls around with one in their bag and everyone's cool with it?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Yusuke rules and I'm mad we didn't get to date him but that would only take him away from his true love Ann/that pair of lobsters.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

arisu posted:

I think the biggest issue for me for the (Mid September spoilers) Morgana splitting with the team thing is that it came right off the Hawaii trip, which was basically one large, long, unplayable cutscene. Going from one large, long, unplayable cutscene into another one back to back was a rough part for sure. I think it would have been a lot better if those two events were separated by some gameplay moments at the very least.

I actually don't really even mind that event, I thought it had a nice cute conclusion. Beauty Thief's introduction is amazing every time I see it, so hilariously awkward. But man did they just not let you play the actual game for the longest time.

Morgana got booted into being a perma-back-up member of my team explicitly because of this stunt. I was so pissed.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Frog Act posted:

So I beat the first palace, learned about mementos, etc. it’s the 7th now and I’m wondering if there are some confidants I should be looking for. Right now the game is hinting if I get a job at the beef bowl place I can get the politician confidant. Any others I should 100% know about and go for?

Yes, I'm going to refer to them by their Arcana names to try to minimize spoilers and just give game advice.

Temperance which is unmissable to unlock is coming up but requires you to have guts at rank 3 to pursue is one of the two best confidant perks in the game.

Fortune is the other one that's the best and requires a huge investment of like 4 time slots to fully unlock but should be focused on ASAP, it'll be about another two months from now before you get it.

Its almost impossible to max all confidants without using those two perks which is why they're so important. They save a LOT of time in the real world.

Star is also a very important one but its a ways away. When you get a text that tells you about a girl who hangs out at a Church, GO. Her perks are a very important skill for battle. You need charm at rank 3 to unlock her.

And politician should be gone after ASAP because his skill when properly utilized means you'll have a lot less money problems. He's also only available on Sunday evenings and disappears entirely at a certain point in the calendar. Unlock him as soon as you can and spend every Sunday evening you can with him. Any time you spend with him's an automatic rank up no matter what dialogue options you choose to compensate for how rare his availability is. He also helps you level your charm in addition to your confidant.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

seiferguy posted:

lmao I'm glad they kept this line (fortune confidant spoilers):

It's also the correct line.

It's not "Ryuji's a phantom thief" or "It's button mashing time" but its still good as hell.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The music when you watch the Bubbly Hills 90210 DVD sounds like a P3 track.

Yeah, though the sheer number of ex-students still makes things a bit implausible; it wouldn't be that difficult to strongly suggest that you did some art and there would still be media sources willing to take up that juicy story (and when almost everyone complaining just happens to be an ex-student it's a bit harder to paint it as just sour grapes).

That being said, I got the impression that he was actually close to reaching the limit of his scheme, even absent Phantom Thief intervention. He only had Yusuke left at this point, and Yusuke had unique circumstances that made it difficult for him to accept what was going on.

Madarame's situation was basically what happened with Bill Cosby and Weinstein although
obviously with much less monstrous crimes. Cosby had what 50 women accusing him? How many for Weinstein? But they were such golden gooses for the big studio heads and used their connections to ruin the careers of anyone who spoke out against them. What they did was already an open secret and pretty well known prior to their stories "breaking" to the general public with rumors swirling around constantly and not being hard to find. Hannibal Burress who "broke" the Cosby story with his stand-up set in Philly was just him telling the audience to google Cosby and rape together. The info was already out there but people didn't want to believe it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

-

Ytlaya posted:

I get what they're going for with those scenes, but trying to imagine how the full interrogation played out is incredibly silly. I thought she was supposed to have limited time in there.

The entire game is told in flashback including the real world sequences, Joker has told Sae about all the times he spent the night making curry, his part-time jobs, how he did on his exams, the exact questions on those exams, elaborate detail on his dating life...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

mateo360 posted:

when do you think Life is strange was taking place :P

EDIT: it may not even been the entire west coast but enough of California that turning back was the better option then finding another Cali airport to land on what fuel they had

Hawaii is 2500 miles away from California. Like if the plane just decided to go to New York instead that would use the same amount of fuel.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Having a legit psychopath on your team after 90 hours of standard Power of Friendship and Killing this Monster Made Me Grow As A Person JRPG dialogue is genuinely extremely refreshing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

I remember there was a VA panel at a convention somewhere and most of the main cast of P5 was there, and she said that one of the ways she would get into character was practicing saying "my mom..." in a fragile voice and that this would sometimes cause problems because people would think something happened to her mom irl

wut

Theres a really common criticism of Persona 5 that Extremely Online Leftists make that it backs away from its themes of radical social change in the back half which makes the entire game bad. I don't really see it. The original game ends with God mocking you for thinking that social reform could ever be possible because the public is so slothful and apathetic that it desires the current unjust system simply because it means they don't have to make any effort to change and then you shooting him in the face.

You could make more of an argument for that in Royal with the 3rd semester where Maruki makes a paradise where everyone's wishes are granted and the Phantom Thieves fight against that but honestly its actually nuancing the original argument a lot. There's a big debate in philosophy and religion about means vs ends in terms of morality and when we see that in Video Games or movies its almost always framed as "Do the ends justify the means"? Is doing something unjust acceptable if it achieves justice? 3rd semester makes the argument that the means themselves possess value independently of the ends and that engaging in the fight for social reform or a better world or to achieve ends is a personally transformative experience and is what gives the ends one achieves its meaning. Simply granting a persons wish robs them of that transformation and the meaning of the ends they achieve. Violet's persona is Cinderella who is granted her wish without a real personal journey and plays into that moral theme.

Its a really complex idea that is far more complex and abstract then what we usually get in movies or video games and I think that's the big reason that the 3rd semester inspires such heated arguments and that so many people have such divergent interpretations is a sign of good writing, especially since the underlying question is one that's heated in people who study this stuff for a living.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Even then in regards to the New Palace Sumire says repeatedly that she was grateful to Maruki for making her Kasumi temporarily because she wasn't at the time strong enough to be Sumire. But now she is strong enough to be Sumire. If she had always been Sumire she would have wallowed in despair the entire time and never been able to begin to move on. But Maruki doesn't want her to move on because moving on and growing requires her to confront Kasumi's death which would cause her pain and Maruki never wants anyone to experience pain ever. Like even the biggest example of Maruki over-stepping his bounds is still shown by the game to be therapeutically useful, its his refusal to ever allow a person to acknowledge pain even when they're strong enough or far along enough to do it successfully and grow that's the problem.

The game recognizes that there's no problem with someone seeking assistance from another person with a problem. It also recognizes that if its big or overwhelming for them to handle its okay to delay confronting the problem until they can successfully handle it. Its the idea that you should never confront the problem because it would be hard or painful that the game rejects.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Sydin posted:

The only place where I think the ball was dropped wrt Maruki was that the ending implies he just completely gave up on helping others move past emotional pain, which does come off as not great. I wish his ending had been him deciding he's going to throw himself back into therapy and cognitive psience, but in order to genuinely help others overcome their pain, not simply brainwash it away.

Its stated in his flashbacks that Maruki's constantly broke and has a history of taking part-time jobs just to pay the bills while he looks around for work that's actually related to his field. I kind of read that as now that he doesn't have the power to alter reality anymore, he's found work to pay the bills while he goes looking for another job involving counseling. The game's theme is refusing to run away from your problems and confronting them head-on and if he remains a cab driver forever and just gave up on being a counselor that would mean he's not making progress which the game implies everyone is making. Remember in the exam room of his palace its stated that pre-heart-change Maruki's view is that if a dream is too hard you should just give up and be satisfied with something easier and I have a hard time believing that post-heart-change Maruki would continue to hold that view.I agree it could be clearer though.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't agree re:shido. He is plainly an abe standin doing the things abe really did only using magic- I find it hard to call any of that revolutionary (especially in a japanese context) in terms of the end. In the game's context the PT were bound to lose their power anyway due to collapsing Mementos but that in itself is a bit of a confession that revolution is seen as ultimately impossible or not realistic or unsustainable no? I think the game's main tells in the base ending are that joker needs to go to jail to take responsibility (?????) and hand complete control over the situation and his fate to Sae, assuredly the game's arch-lib.

Ultimately I'm not sure where we even disagree if you think the game's final message is that nobody should have revolutionary power and the use of such is ultimately unrealistic unconscionable or both.

Revolutionary change can only come from the people themselves and not from a small handful of high-schoolers and a cat unilaterally making decisions on behalf of the entire public. Joker is released from prison due to the actions of the non-super-powered members of the community who he's helped achieve spiritual and material gains acting on his behalf and engaging in community activism and agitation on his behalf. Change is achieved not through possessing super-powers and delving into cognitive versions of people and stealing their hearts and other things that aren't actually possible for normal people but through things like Kawakami organizing the teaching staff, or Shinya creating a mass campaign on the internet, or Sojiro lying to the cops, or even Iwai putting the criminal underworld on Joker's side. Revolutionary power is held in the actions and organization of the common people and not in the intervention of a super-powered elite.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Also I know this thread isn't really active enough to justify it completely but we should really consider separating this into a spoiler and spoiler-free thread because everyone's mostly interested in talking about the end of the game and its themes and now we're having entire pages just get blacked out. It's kind of weird to do that for a thread with 32 pages over a month but I imagine it has to be hard for people who haven't gotten through the game yet to read.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I understand and respect your (to me similar) views about it. I think ultimately what rankles with these positions is that as well intentioned as they may be they run the risk of becoming insidious coopted lib tactics insofar as they can be misused to indefinitely slow roll any possibility of things actually changing as lacking sufficient popular backing or being too totalitarian in tactic.

I think the game's position, intentionally or not, probably errs on the lib side of that more than it doesn't. May I also say I'm particularly amused by the need for solidarity to slowly incrementally free joker from his own submission to saelary clinton, itself ludicrously set up as the only right and reasonable thing to do

I get what you're saying but the flip side of that can be used to frustrate change too. If within the game change is only possible and achievable by exceptional people with superpowers than consider how that relates to our own reality. If powerful people aren't on the side of justice or reform than fighting for reform is pointless because they're the only ones who can achieve anything. There's no point in agitating for change until 2024 because Sanders lost the primary to Biden, there's no point to attempting to come up with ways to help the homeless on our own because this official or that official is against it or some billionaire has refused to give their money to charity. By leaving change solely in the hands of the exceptional then that justifies sloth and apathy in the general public explicitly what you're fighting against in the final two palaces

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

There are no flaws in my father's logic!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I'm now at the point where the romantic rejections start to begin. Kawakami is first (though IIRC most of the adult options aren't hitting on you, so you don't really have to reject them).

I'm still uncertain about who to go with. I went with Makoto in vanilla P5, and she's still obviously the best, but I obviously want to choose something different this time. The options I'm considering are Kasumi (because she's new, even if she's not that interesting so far*), Hifumi, and all of the adult options except Kawakami.

I'm also reminded of how lame Ann's confidante is. It's like the opposite of Ryuji's, where it makes her look dumber than she is in the main story.

* on her 4th confidante rank

Kasumi's pushed really really hard on you at the end of the game to the point where its pretty clear the developers think of her as the "canon" love interest even if you're already in a relationship with somebody at that point which you undoubtedly are because it doesn't start raring up until the loving third semester.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mainwaring posted:

Just started this. I remember in persona 4 there was a point where if you didnt go the correct way through some dialogue you got stuck on a path to a bad ending. Is there anything like that here? And if so can anyone try to hint at where I might want to make sure I keep a backup save with minimal spoilers?

The game literally breaks the fourth wall with an announcement and says "HEY YOU MIGHT WANT TO MAKE A SAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN! HERE LET ME TAKE YOU TO THE SAVE SCREEN! HINT HINT!" Before anything like that happens.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

How can I explain to my teammates that friendship literally non-metaphorically makes us more powerful so that they stop freaking out at my intensive training regimen of listening to their problems at Big Bang Burger and playing darts instead of clearing the palace right away.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

One other weird Morgana thing is that he's supposed to sound like he's meowing when he talks in the real world (to everyone but the party anyways), yet he's frequently talking while you're in class.

Hmmm could this be the rumored cat?!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Despite his protests Morgana is a cat and its pretty unfair to get upset at him for possessing a cat's personality.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Morgana freaks the gently caress out at the two Memento quests which involve people hurting cats and he also has a large of percentage of his lines be about ~~~Fatty Tuna ~~~. Morgana knows hes a cat. Hes just in denial.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

Failing Futaba's Palace shouldn't actually cause a gameover since The Medjed stuff was all fake and they were never planning to do anything

Since this thread is starting to look like we're all down on the game I want to reiterate that I loving love Persona 5 and it's probably my favorite JRPG of all time at this point. When I roast it I do so out of love

Actually it should because Futaba's palace is part of the flashback and if you fail it you're not telling Sae how things actually happened because the drugs hosed up your brain too much. Also Futaba's probably dead since you're saving her from sucidial ideation.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Arbetor posted:

Yusuke giving a long, detailed description of the God Medjed, and Makoto politely but very firmly shutting him down after is my absolute favorite text log in the game, and very high on my list of best conversions in the game.

And I really liked the changes to the 4th palace boss, as a showcase of your new navigator's abilities, but it did kind of trivialize the fight. Really emotionally powerful character moment, just a little dull game play-wise.

Do you have a log of the text for someone who instinctively fast forwards through them all once they realized 90% of them are just BOY IM WORRIED ABOUT THIS PALACE.

DO YOU THINK IT WILL WORK THIS TIME IM SO WORRIED

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Theres a lot more of a balance between grimdark poo poo and light peppy and colorful stuff at the moment than there used to be. I remember in 2008/9 when Persona 4 came out the fact that its art direction was "what if pop music was a video game?" felt absolutely mind-blowing coming out at a time when Zelda felt like it had to be dark and edgy with twilight princess and Sonic made loving Shadow the Hedgehog use guns.

Even with it not being as revolutionary and different as it was with 4 I hope 6 keeps the current direction because having the art direction be bright and peppy while the subject involves dark poo poo like suicides and demons is way more interesting than DARKNESS RULES for 80 hours.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Is Haru's S-Link any good? I never had time for it in the first game and I'm a bit ahead of schedule right now so I'll probably have time for her this go round. I'm blanking on who to date right now lol, Makoto felt like such a good canon choice but I've forbidden myself from doing it again.

The new girl's the new "canon" choice if thats what you want. She gets pushed on you INCREDIBLY hard in the 3rd semester ig thats what you want.

Hifumi also has Makoto's adorably dorky failure to understand her fellow kids thing going on.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Is it ever explained why she gets so attached to Joker so quickly? I know her self-confidence is practically nonexistent, but she gets this weird obsession with the idea of being indebted to him long before he really does anything of note to help her. I mean, she follows him to thank him for trying to give her his seat on the train for God’s sake.

Shes a teenage girl and Joker is quiet, tall, and hot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Sydin posted:

The last semester of Royal and everything to do with Maruki have so much more nuance than anything in the base game and it gives me hope that a potential P6 without Hashino in the director's chair could be even better.

When was the last time a JRPG or a video game had a villain whose motives were understandable enough that half the fanbase seems to think they were actually doing the right thing and argued passionately for it and the other half thought the opposite and argued passionately for that too?-

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

I don't think Haru is terrified of her and sometimes Ryuji gets caught up in the shockwaves from her attack.

Makoto has nothing on Haru in terms of deeply repressed aggressiveness.

"And if he tries anything we can just kill him like last time! :)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Geostomp posted:

The best part is that the group thought all this up in-universe. They came up with these elaborate short skits and considered them valid battle maneuvers.

Ryuji suggested “what if we make a beef bowl place so I can get pissed when a Shadow interrupts me eating and we shoot it” as a battle strategy and Yusuke was all in for it.

It only works if the shadow opens the door too so it features audience participation from the shadow before it gets 10,000 shots to the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

Did taking a poo poo at Leblanc (with your cat of course) always cause Joker to reflect on his social stats or is that a change for Royal?

You couldn't poo poo at all in the original.