Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It’s that wonderful time of year when Atlus tosses out another rerelease of a beloved (your mileage may vary) game for full price and we all loving lap it up like the suckers we are. This time, it’s Persona 5, a game that was already probably too long, but hey, what else are you doing right now? Trying not to die from the plague? To commemorate the launch of Persona 5 Royal, I figured I’d throw together a little thread to explain some of the new changes.

New Playable Character!

That’s right, there’s a new teenager for you to get weird about! Her name is Kasumi Yoshizawa, and she’s voiced by Laura Post!

New Region!

You can now explore Kichijoji, a new region of Tokyo! Play darts and billiards with your friends!

New Confidants!

In addition to Kasumi’s new Confidant, there’s a brand new character named Takuto Maruki with their own! Also, Akechi’s old Confidant story has been loving thrown in the garbage and isn’t story-based any more!

New Semester and New Story Scenes!

There are a bunch of new group scenes with the cast. Also, another month or so has been added on to the end of the game, including a new Palace!

:siren: The third semester and new true ending have specific requirements, which I will spoil here:
Third semester: Get Maruki’s Confidant to Rank 9 by 11/17, True Ending: do that, plus get Akechi to Rank 8 by 11/17, as well as answer questions correctly (the answers are obvious) on 1/9 and 2/2. Also, I should mention that apparently you can’t finish Kasumi’s Confidant if you don’t get her to Rank 5 by 12/22. :siren:

Combat and Palace Overhauls!

There’s a lot to cover here, so I’ll just rush through it: Third-form Personas for party members! Completely reworked boss fights! New stuff to find in dungeons! Special “Showtime” team attacks! Ammunition restocks after battle! New Persona mechanics! New fusion mechanics! New optional fights! You don’t have to loving unlock Baton Pass any more!

There have apparently also been reworks to every Palace, including the addition of a grappling hook! Maybe the ship won’t suck this time!

New Music!

They’re not gonna top Rivers in the Desert though, eh.

Some Weird Thieves’ Den Bonus Feature I Don’t Really Understand!

Yeah.

Marginally Less Homophobia!

They actually fixed that poo poo in localization this time!

Morgana’s Less of a Nag!

Down with bedtime!

MEMENTOS IS LESS BAD!

HOLY poo poo THERE’S NEW MUSIC AND EVERYTHING

And much more! Well, not that much more, but there’s stuff I didn’t mention. If this sounds good, enjoy yourself! If it sounds like not enough to justify its own existence, you’re probably right! Whatever!

Persona 5 Royal comes out on March 31.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nah man, these menus are gonna be too high-res, your switch would explode

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't even really like Persona 3 that much, and I really doubt they'll do it because it would be significantly more work than normal, to the point it would be more of a full remake, but if they did another version of P3 with the female route and the classic presentation stuff added back in I'd probably play it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently Kirsten Potter moved or something? And they couldn't contact her, whatever. It sucks, I really liked the old voice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ulio posted:

I loved 5 but it was my first Persona game so maybe I didn't have anything to compare it with. Definitely looking to play the rest of the series at some point.

I also heard that Last Surprise has been replaced by another track as the battle theme and that is pretty good?

Both songs are in the game but the new one plays for ambushes now I think, which means that you'll probably never hear Last Surprise ever again lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spiffster posted:

Wait there is a bonus fo P5 save data?

You get some items (fully restore the party's HP x3 and revive one ally with 50% HP x3) and 50,000 yen, which I think is hilarious because it means now I can just cut out the middleman of selling that DLC Soma the game gives you.

e: Anyway, apparently (extremely minor character spoilers) Lala Escargot is voiced now, if the Japanese version is any indication, gently caress yes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

lala was always voiced, though

she didn't have many lines and she sounded like a cane toad with strep throat, but it was a thing

I don't remember that at all, and looking back at some old footage it seems like it's just some random barks like when you talk with a character in an unvoiced Confidant event, stuff like "Oh boy" at the longest.

e: oh right, rank 1, forgot

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People really don't like the September/October one, but IMO the worst one is the December one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sapozhnik posted:

Not sure what this new Mementos music is that you guys are talking about but idk maybe it shows up after Palace 2 or something, which is about where I'm at right now. There's some new game mechanics in Mementos but nothing major.

I think it changes based on depth, there's like four or five tracks for Mementos this time and some of them are pretty good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Walker posted:

Like Tartarus then? Nice.

Can someone confirm which battle track plays during an ambush? In P4G, “Time to Make History” was the regular battle theme, but you could still get “Reach Out to the Truth” as a reward for ambushing enemies.

Pretty sure "Take Over", the new song, plays for ambushes, while "Last Surprise" is for regular battles. I'm torn on this. I prefer "Time to Make History" to "Reach Out to the Truth" and was annoyed I barely got to hear the new song in Golden, so it's good that we'll actually be able to hear "Take Over", but I think "Last Surprise" is probably a better song so I'm annoyed I'll very rarely get to hear it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unlucky7 posted:

Going back to the 'reduced homophobia': I know that the first scene is changed (only in the localized English version I should mention), but did they do anything to the other two scenes they are in where they...basically do the same thing? (Well, the second scene at least)

I haven't seen any images from the beach scene but I have to assume they've changed their other appearances as well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When I say "Morgana doesn't make you go to sleep as often" that means that apparently you can do stuff in Leblanc on those nights, not go outside.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BGrifter posted:

Speaking theoretically for a moment, but if I were to drink a bunch of vodka and make bad life choices is it worth going for the “ultimate” bundle?

Just curious. No particular reason. I’m still totally gonna wait a couple months. For reals. Not gonna break down and preorder.

Probably not unless you really want those bonus fights and also really like the costumes and extra Personas. If so I think it'll save you $20 in the long run buying it in the Ultimate bundle?

I already bought it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Reminder if you haven't read the OP that the new semester has Confidant requirements to unlock.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unlucky7 posted:

Are they something you need to know going in? I try to go into things as clean as possible.

The way I can spoil it the least is just by saying: do as much of the new Confidants (including Akechi's) as you possibly can before a certain deadline that will probably be obvious to you if you've played the game before. None of them can be *maxed* before this date, which in addition to occasional plot barriers makes it a little tricky.

e: oh, going back through your previous posts you didn't beat the original game, that makes this a little trickier.

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 31, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The deadline is at the end of the October/November dungeon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

During the first "eavesdrop behind two students as you walk to school" scene, I was like, "Oh cool, they dubbed this!" and then immediately went, "...are both of these students Yuri Lowenthal?" and I thought I was losing my mind

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, D.C. Douglas is so loving good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They give you waaaaaaay too many items and too much money for the save bonus and the DLC packs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the first Palace and I'm probably gonna get through it without needing to leave. It seems easier so far.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zwingley posted:

I'm gonna be playing Persona and Persona 5 for the first time with this. The most adjacent thing I've played is Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Is there anything in particular I need to know, beyond the bit in the OP about a true ending?

I'm going to tell you how to avoid the thing that caused me no end of trouble when I was a kid first playing Persona 4: This is not Pokemon. You are not going to find a Persona you like, especially not the one you start with, and make it viable through the entire game with copious amounts of grinding. Your Personas are disposable, and the game wants you to know this. Personas level exceptionally slowly and unlike your party members', will stop learning skills a few levels in. The game actually creates a scenario in the first few hours where it will probably force you to fuse away your starting Persona to teach you this.

Other than that, status effects are really good in the earlygame against tough enemies, and buffs are always, always amazing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

seiferguy posted:

My understanding is each dungeon now has 3 special keys (of some sort) that unlock a bigger item after you complete the dungeon, yes?

Mostly correct. There are three "Will Seeds" in each dungeon, and once you find them all they combine into a special accessory. The one for the first dungeon lets the wearer cast Diarama, which I slapped on Ryuji and is super useful because what the gently caress else is he using that SP for?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HOLY poo poo THEY FIXED "Suguru Kamoshida was a scum"!!!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MonsterEnvy posted:

SMT V is coming at some points.

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Max Wilco posted:

Question: Did they fix it so that you now know how close you are to leveling up a social stat?

Just for the record, there is absolutely a way to check this, I just discovered.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sydin posted:

:stare:

Which is...? :f5::f5::f5:

Leblanc's bathroom

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's Sunday now for the medicinal bath.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mateo360 posted:

Why does Shiho's portrait look like it has a bad spray tan?

Shiho's portrait looked subtly out-of-place with the others even in the original game. The original trailers for P5 had different kinds of portraits than the final release so my theory was they finished hers early and never redid it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

onesixtwo posted:

Guns are amazing when they reload every fight, dang. I also loved the lore explanation for why they would of course reload.

With how useful guns are now I can't wait for Tower.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hunt11 posted:

With the consultant do you have to worry about bringing a matching persona?

I know Sun and Moon don't make you, but I think Counselor still does.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It feels like closing the diner until May is a change they made entirely to gently caress with people like me who know how useful it was to optimize your social stats in the earlygame.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 1, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They may very well have lowered the double craft/bonus point proc rate considering that you now have way more free nights to craft.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm playing on Normal and it's pretty easy, though part of that's the 150,000 yen (!) they give you from the DLC and the save bonus.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sydin posted:

Wait what? I only got 50K yen! :argh:

I bought the gently caress-You Idiot edition so I got an extra 100k :smuggo:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've only done two Palaces, but I can't say enough good things about the gameplay additions and tweaks, both major and minor. Just off the top of my head, enemy encounters are more interesting and allow you to Baton Pass more, Traits are neat bonuses that I'm sure you can minmax into oblivion, Mementos is way more interesting and rewarding thanks to Jose's stamps, and putting skills on accessories really lets you diversify your party members and cover areas where they're not as strong. I might actually not get the SP Adhesive 3s at the rate I'm going because they're boring and I really love having the accessory slot for a skill. Plus, I haven't really needed the SP so far, and I've got SP items out the rear end, thanks in part to Jose. The challenge battles are really fun puzzles to solve, as well. It's undeniably easier than the base game so far thanks to all the new systems but I'm really enjoying it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The driver doesn't count because it was never in question. The game was always cagey about the casualties of the train incident, but there's no reason from all of the other incidents to think that the driver would have survived.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We haven't crossed a line yet but we should keep in mind that some people in this thread never played the original and make sure to tag spoilers :)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can now confirm that they absolutely fixed a lot of Kaneshiro's incredibly bad dialogue, thank god.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cuntellectual posted:

Like what? I can't remember much about him.

It wasn't bad dialogue in the sense that it was obvious or forced or unsubtle or whatever. It was bad dialogue in the sense that it took the forms of impossible-to-parse monstrosities like: "Young women are so useful. They lack physical strength and are dumb. It’s as if they only exist to be devoured by the strong." or "I’ll eliminate others besides my goods. You’ve no need to worry."

Granted, it was only a few lines, mostly from the same scene, but they really stuck out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

seiferguy posted:

Are there still mementos encounters that you can confuse the enemy and have them drop a ton of cash? I’m not quite there yet but I remember that farming system fondly.

They nerfed the poo poo out of status ailments (except Forget, apparently), so no.