Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Perfect Potato posted:

I did the original blind (outside basic poo poo like just knowing when the confidants are available) in Japanese and ranked up everyone with a few days to spare. You'd figure Royal would be even more lenient

If I remember right the hardest part about getting all the confidants maxed was hitting Makoto's max Charm qualifier at the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

e: also worth noting that the skill you get on 9/25 is apparently Concentrate, in case you want to slap that on Makoto and make her even more broken.

Narrator's voice: "And he did."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ROFL Octopus posted:

I wish there was a way to be friends with Ann without saying “You have the others. :grin:

She and Joker really do read like platonic friends though.

I do like it but I believe you're correct in that in the Japanese the difference between what Joker is saying makes more sense. That said having seen Ann's romance route I do like it. It's no going to see violent yakuza films with Makoto, but it's nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cheesetriangles posted:

After actually playing through these parts again I've decided Morgana loving sucks too. Also his whole Lady Ann thing is some creeper energy. I really wish they would have reworked this part of the game because it clearly isn't good.

The whole attempt at wounded nobility Morgana tries to affect is irritating in the extreme. I imagine even more so if you're having Joker date Ann.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

edit: My problem with romances in these games is that I always feel awful not choosing the romance options. IIRC there are a couple where you basically have the choice of initiating the romance (as opposed to effectively rejecting someone's obvious interest), but I remember most involving you indirectly rejecting the person. I remember feeling like the biggest rear end in a top hat after Haru's in particular.

Ann as well. Especially given the choice and the circumstances. I think Makoto feels the most organic since you were sort of doing it anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, Morgana treats him like poo poo from the very beginning and as soon as Ryuji shoots back the whole team is like "Wow Ryuji you should apologize for being mean to Mona"

Morgana knows deep down Ryuji will end up with Ann and thus fears him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It always seemed a shame if you were dating Ann you couldn't tell Morgana to pipe down (I mean, I wish you could do that anyway). "knock it off with the attempt at wounded dignity cat, ann and i are going to see a movie."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: Yusuke's "pulling off the mask" scene is probably the best, and it also makes the most sense for him as a character (since he was actively deceiving himself about something beforehand as opposed to Ryuji and Ann's basically just being "getting the guts to fight back").

Yusuke's is great. I also really dug Makoto's. The girl needs to work through her issues and finally musters the righteous rage to do so.*

*It is by punching things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Hifumi would’ve made a great phantom thief. Flip/flopping in/out of chuunibyou mode while maintaining a strategic mindset? She could’ve straight up replaced Makoto.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love how Erica Lindbeck bounces between hyper and fragile as Futaba.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't she supposed to have her nose stuck in a Shonen Jump equivalent at some points when she's "tailing" you?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

radlum posted:

So, are the anime adaptations of the Persona games any good?

In a 'it's fun to watch this scene I like animated' kind of way, at least in regards to the original Persona 4 anime, but I wouldn't call it must-see. I've never seen the P5 stuff or those P3 movies, although the above take seems to be the consensus.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fojar38 posted:

The fact that Makoto largely has her poo poo together is why she is the top tier romance option though

Honestly that's why I think Makoto's romance is the most organic. It's a very natural extension of 'hey, we're enjoying this time spent together so let's just make it real.'

Also she likes violent yakuza movies so that's cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

radlum posted:

That hangout event made me sad; I was torn between dating Hifumi or Makoto and now my headcanon is that they get along but both have crushes on the MC (though I will end up dating Makoto, since I prefer when the MC dates a party member).

You have chosen correctly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ultiville posted:

I don't think the game needed to be longer or anything, but I feel like Ann and Ryuji really compete for character space in a way that hurts both. They're distinct as characters, but since they both join at basically the same time, for basically the same reason, neither really gets a time to shine on their own. Ryuji is louder than Ann, so he feels more of a presence later, but it's mostly a negative one, where Ann can pretty easily fade into the background.

I was thinking "Well, maybe she's the Thieves' cheerleader" but that's kinda snaked by Ryuji, too. It's a shame they couldn't add in more places where the group needs to be good with people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheLoser posted:

Shame on whoever doesn't use Makoto, Ryuji and Haru in the endgame stretch so you can always get Makoto's showtimes to trigger.

Can I get a brief Cliff's notes?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

It's nice that Hifumi is another character where you don't have to awkwardly reject her to do the non-romance confidante ending.

I remember with Ann's your two options were "you have me" (the romantic option) and "you have the others," which comes off like a hilariously obvious and awkward way of preemptively shutting down any possibly romantic advances.

Apparently the more proper translation is "you have us."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know. Yoshizawa was way more positive with the rejection than I was expecting. I still think Haru was the most visibly upset about it.

Agreed. Ann is upset initially but bounces back pretty fast. The rest seem pretty content to have misread signals.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

Do you mean her VA for Royal or the original? Her english VA from the original was perfect, but apparently scheduling conflicts meant that they had to replace her.

Oh, wow, they made Tae sound way younger in Royal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DropsySufferer posted:

Because it was called royal I was thinking battle royal and had the impression this was going to be like persona 4 arena so I don't even take a look at it because I don't really care for fighting games. I didn't realize it was a big expansion! :doh:

If it helps, we do have Persona 5 Strikers coming sooner or later, although it's a Mushou game and not a fighter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Which is odd because you could in P3 and P4. Hell, in P3, you could find random items in the school restrooms (I think) and have a chance to increase your condition to Good or Great the first time you used it each day. And IIRC, P4 gave you a small chance for a social link pip for one of your non-max links. >_>

I think if you wanted to max your socials in P3 you had to save scum getting a Good+ condition after taking your morning deuce.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember the guide I followed for P3 actually had you max out Fuuka's line before Yukari's, despite meeting Yukari first. While possibly because it was easier(?) to max out Courage first as Yuuka's initial storyline was BAD COOKING~! I think now they just wanted to get her out of the way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

The manga does make a solid point that giving Yusuke more money wouldn't help anything because he'd just blow it all on art stuff and still end up poor and starving. :hmmyes:

The manga also seems to give Makoto an actual personality which is nice.

I like the codification of Makoto as the Phantom Thieves' sergeant. Sure, Joker's the leader but Makoto's the one who makes sure it happens.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HaB posted:

I never got why anyone was ever hung up on Futaba's age. MC is 17, that makes Futaba and Yoshizawa both 16. Not sure why that's an issue.

It's the little sister coding, I'm sure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

So if you're interested in gagging, here's the cut harem Valentine's Day ending with all the dialogue subbed to English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6i4jnWu2jw

Thanks, I hate it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

arisu posted:

I think a lot of people are forgetting just how god awful Teddy "It's time for a wardrobe malfunction" the sexual assaulting bear really was if they don't think he was worse than a pining sad sack.

Isn't there some "joke" Teddie keeps running into the ground about Yukiko?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is an interesting take. It possibly also is why Makoto ends up in the weird situation she's in too, where she comes across as no-nonsense and aggressive in cutscenes but ultimately has this demure backstepping at times outside of it.

Yeah. They make her whole Phantom Thief deal being a Fist of the North Star homage with Kaneda's bike but the female Pope then they're like 'whoa now some decorum.' While I still like Makoto, I think it could have been interesting if she would have been allowed to both own and channel her rage in productive ways instead of once she'd acknowledged it was there mostly ignoring it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arbite posted:

You sicken me.

Or is his new VA that bad?

Sam Riegel is fine. Unless he has a new Japanese VA in Golden.

It's just that it's Teddie. Or WHAT'S THIS ABOUT A STUD?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

(I actually like Ryuji but he fails more at being subtle than Yosuke or Kanji.)

Ryuji is at least neatly divided between Cutscene Ryuji and Social Link Ryuji.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think the worst thing about going back to P3 would be the inheritance rules. Cancelling and reselecting your fusion for 10 minutes just so you can inherit the right set of skills was great.

Running around the world wasn't too bad because the soundtrack was lit as gently caress, and you always saw when the NPCs and their little plots updated.

Also the exhausted mechanic or whatever it was called.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Filthy Monkey posted:

I never got a chance to play golden, but I did play the original. When I saw it pop up on steam at $20 I instantly bought it. I already went through the first real dungeon to save Yukiko. It runs well and looks pretty good. It comes with the Japanese voices as an option, but the quality sounds kind of tinny. I just went back to using the English voices, which are generally pretty good anyway.

Which character does Vic Mignogna voice, Yousuke or Junpei?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We haven't even got Persona 5 Scramble in the west yet. Or a fighting game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've personally done Ann and Haru, but I guess if I ever gave the game a fourth(?) go I might try Kasumi. Or just look it up online becaseu I don't know if I have another 80+ hours after I'm done with this first run.

Makoto and Ann are the two I've done and I like them both well enough. Haru is the most depressing if you turn her down, though. I just can't with the 20+ choices. (And honestly having watched them I don't think any of them are super great anyway.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

Atlus did the smart thing with the 2D assets and upscaled them (I think they used Waifu2x) so they would look great at significantly higher resolutions.

Is that actually the name of the program? That's amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

I played a couple hours last night and Chie's dub voice is... not great. As in wow, it's actively terrible. Everybody else so far has been fine: I can live with Teddie because at least so far he has significantly less dialogue than Morgana. I haven't felt like there's been any stand out performances yet but I also just beat Yosuke's shadow, so the game has a ton of time left for me to warm up to the dub.

People seem to like Erin Fitzgerald for the most part. She can really nail Chie overreacting (or, in other words 'speaking'). I remember some thought her original voice actor was too laid back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is it P4G where Chie gets hilariously broken at higher levels?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Chie is still better for dungeon crawling, since Kanji’s only AoE is Atom Smasher and that’s if you drag him on a bike date (and he doesn’t really have much to take him on bike dates to work towards).

Man, is there ever a particular burning need to bring Kanji along?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

What Joker has going for him is ultimately that he's the heart of the group who never compromises his ideals (unless you play him like a loving moron and/or take the obvious bad end deals I guess) which is why he has to keep comforting everybody in the bazillion text threads of "OH GOD WILL THE CHANGE OF HEART WORK THIS TIME?!?!?" or snap them back to reality in the Velvet Room and third semester. Even Makoto for all that she becomes the primary decision maker once she joins has massive hangups over what she's doing. Joker has no such hangups and so generally keeps the group focused and on track.

Makoto really feels like your first officer. You make the big decisions, Makoto handles the work of making sure it goes off and keeping everybody in line when, like, Ryuji and Morgana decide to have a pissing contest because whatever dumb reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

The tag team attacks are all pretty wonderful, shame there are only 2 each for the most part, I’d have been interested in Ryuji and Morgana doing one for example. Could go with them getting into a fight and turning on the shadow for interrupting, a big ball of violence rolling over the enemy.

Personally the wrestling tag-team is my second favourite, my favourite is much later and is mandatory to see at least once.

Honestly I'm disappointed there isn't one of Joker with each member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Geostomp posted:

I didn’t think there was a dub. Not that it somehow makes paying 300 for a lousy anime more enticing.

It'll stream on Funimation eventually, I'm sure. Maybe Netflix. I don't even see P4's funny bits compilation videos for it so I can safely wait.