Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I finished P4G the other day and... well, Persona 4 is a great game. I liked the mechanical upgrades in P4G and some of the new story bits were fun, but I hated Marie, and I thought the ending wound up feeling way too padded out and inconsequential.

It'll be a long while before I dive into P5 again but for those who have finished Royal and P4G, how would you compare them? Just please tell me the new girl doesn't write poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Ryuji and Junpei are fuckin cool rear end bros. Yosuke is trash from a trash can. He dances in a trash can in the intro of the game. He likes to fall into trash, get pushed into trash and behave like trash.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you've played Persona 3,4 and 5 and own a 3DS, you should play Q2.

I'm glad my quarantine backlog brought me to it because it's a shockingly good game for a small venn diagram of people, posters itt likely included.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Item Getter posted:

Is it actually a lot better game than Q and why so? Q wasn't really all that great.

The writing is hugely better, it's no comparison. The soundtrack has a surprising number of new tracks with the vocalists from all 3 games, and they're jams. It's one well told story that includes all 3 casts instead of two separate ones. The UI has all the flair of P5's, with its own unique aesthetic spin. The combat is addictive and dense, a little like a hybrid of SMT4 and P5. The dungeons are well designed and fun, and this is coming from someone who never really got along with etrian odyssey.

If it had been released on Switch, it would have been a blockbuster. It's probably worth seeing if you can get it working in an emulator, since there's no 3D effect anyway and the graphics deserve the extra resolution.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Geostomp posted:

The Q games seem to pick out the teams when they’re at their largest, so usually right before the bigger climactic events of their plots. I assume that a theoretical Q3 will give us the Thieves at a later point to let Kasumi in.

If you're thinking of picking them up, maybe skip Q1. The writing is very bad and the dungeons are not great. Like "how have I gone 90 minutes without a save point on a handheld console" not great. They're both bottle stories so it's not like you miss anything.

That said, you can make door-kun get married to koromaru in it, so if that's your fetish go nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJB9gVJnQZY

Q2, however, is a gigantic step forward and is a consistently fun and well written game that I recommend to anyone who's played the Hashino persona games.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

AlternateNu posted:

Apropos of nothing, the Q2 soundtrack is a loving banger. I might get the game just for that.

Kitajoh loving rules. He's the main composer on the P5 Scramble soundtrack too, which is at least 35% of the reason I'm excited for that game.

If I were king poo poo of the universe i'd get Shoji Meguro to direct the next game, find Tadashi Satomi and hire him back to write it and get Atsushi Kitajoh to do the soundtrack. Hell, Kaneko's still kicking around, right?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
much as I love folks like Troy Baker and John DiMaggio, Baker always sounds like Baker and DiMaggio always sounds like Bender.

I'm more impressed when I can't recognize a voice until I check the credits and go "holy poo poo, that was ...?"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Levantine posted:

Nolan North has the same problem. Everyone wants him to do Nathan Drake but he was totally incredible as the Penguin the Arkham games.

Yeah honestly I love it when they let talented folks cut loose and I'm not trying to take Troy Baker down a peg or anything, I'm just a little sick of half of the game characters from the last 10 years sounding like the exact same guy with a mild los angeles accent.

Without a visual reference or context, if I played you Troy Baker clips from, let's say, Infamous, Tales of Vesperia, MGS V, CoD and Catherine, I don't think you could tell them apart.

Pagan Min was the best part of whatever Far Cry game that was, and everything he did in the Batman games was amazing. I just wish they would let him get weird with it more often.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxxidation posted:

max mittelman won my heart as ryuji and then won it again as Red XIII in FF7R

poo poo, I should buy FF7R huh

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
anyone who still defends Hoshino clearly hasn't played Catherine: FB.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Fojar38 posted:

So the problem is the game has nuance and isn't dumb enough for internet leftists?

Oh please stop.

There's inarguably homophobic poo poo in every hoshino game. The only homosexual people in base P5 are the wildly effeminate dudes who have no names or characters to them other than being aggressive pedophiles.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tabletops posted:

Why didn't they call it royale:(

You know what they put on french fries in Holland instead of ketchup?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
morgana is to p5 as yosuke is to p4

annoying as poo poo and extremely horny in the worst possible ways

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Is Yosuke hornier than Teddie?

yes, I think. Teddie exudes constant, confident horniness, like a puppy humping your shoe. Yosuke's horniness is awkward and latent and repressed, which only concentrates the power of the horniness.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i wonder what happened to funky student

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Man, you just killed my vibe. That's wiggity-wack, yo

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stroth posted:

For people unfamiliar with the rest of the series, but enjoyed this one enough to consider trying them out: Persona 1 & 2 & 2andabit were ps1 urban fantasy RPGs with a touch of pokemon thrown in. Decent, but never really sold well. Don't worry about them.

Oh and there's also Persona 3 FES, which is kinda a rerelease, but it doesn't have nearly as much as P3P.

Persona 2 duology is good as hell, has a lot of influence on 5 and is the direction I wish the series would go in after this.

Also, FES is the most "complete" version of P3 and the one you should probably play first. Don't feel like you have to play The Answer though unless you really love Tartarus for some reason. P3P is great for the FemC, but the presentation is extremely stripped down.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yet another reason to be excited for Hashino's retirement

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TheLoser posted:

It didn't make the final cut and was tied to the bad ending, guys. Let's take a breather.

okay i took a breather and it still sucks, now what?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
morgana is a male cat with normal cat dick and balls

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
they should have stopped with koromaru and quit while they were ahead.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

P4G is really really good if you are willing to overlook one incredibly bad character (Teddie)

and yosuke. yosuke is garbage.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sploick?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mirello posted:

Lol, I guess vita emulation is now dead forever, can't wait to get this.

The Vita loving rules though, honestly it's worth picking up. A hundred bucks will get you a little machine with genuinely amazing hardware that can play literally any PS1 or PSP game natively, can emulate basically everything 5th gen and earlier and has a surprisingly awesome library itself. I still use mine all the time, I've been playing through SotN and MGS3 and having a grand ol time

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

seiferguy posted:

Are Personas 1-3 any good and worth a playthrough? 5 was my intro to the series so I'll probably consider getting P4G.

I actually prefer vanilla P4 by a lot. Marie adds very little to the story except bad poetry and I thought the pacing was better the first time around.

3 is absolutely worth a playthrough but it's kind of a hard game to play. You can choose FES, which is the most "complete" version imo, but you can't control your party members. You can choose P3P, which gives you the (better written) FemC route and direct control of your pals, but everything outside Tartarus is a straight up visual novel.

The 2 duology is the best writing in the series by far, not even close. The gameplay however is a mixed bag that frustrates a lot of people who didn't grow up in a certain era.

Persona 1 is just not very fun to play.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't know how much of this the PSP update changed but you'll still have to go through a fan patch for Eternal Punishment.

the EP fan patch is still not done and likely won't be any time soon :( PS1 version is the only english option.

e: if you can help, get in touch with this person: https://twitter.com/cj_iwakura

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 10, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Frog Act posted:

So I know this has been alluded to but how much more mechanically problematic is P4G compared to P5R? Royal was my first game in the series after bouncing off SMTIV and I’m definitely gonna buy P4G today and throw it on the backlog for when I beat 5/the Yakuza Collection/FFXII/DQXI/etc etc and I’m curios specifically how the mechanics have aged, I saw someone say it makes SP conservation harder?

I really don't know what you mean by mechanically problematic, but I can tell you it's much simpler than P5. No demon negotiation, randomly generated dungeons and a menu-style overworld. It's fun, and probably a better intro to SMT mechanics than 5, so you'll know what you're doing pretty much immediately.

I honestly don't think SMT mechanics have "aged" much since Nocturne. P5 is a regression back toward complexity if anything, one I'm very much in favor of.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DrNutt posted:

Boy hearing "Dojima" pronounced like that sure is jarring after playing like a billion Yakuza games.

I wouldn't mind seeing nanako's dad toss a punk into a river or blow up a giant pile of money on top of the millenium tower. He and Kiryu and Date would probably get along.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

this is dan

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zvahl posted:

p4d was a deeply uninteresting game where someone finally put those amazing japanese video game remix albums to good use for once and put them in a video game

they also were sure to remember the most important p4 song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDutOwE0rd8

yes, cool, that was great but try it happier and more japanese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn6OkkJ0twk&t=4950s

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That whole show is amazing but skip to 2:31:21 if you wanna see Lyn belt out one of the single most amazing vocal performances I've ever witnessed

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stroth posted:

Almighty. Some enemies resist almighty for some reason.

I hate those enemies for making me disappoint my friends. They're always so sad when you cancel an all-out attack.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

HaB posted:

I mean I'd love to move to NZ. (or Australia). Just not feasible right now. :)

A VPN subscription is substantially cheaper.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It also gives demons a sense of agency and personality that hasn't been in persona since 2. I think it's a hugely positive change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yes please, especially with nocturne and 5 coming out it would help with the megaten thread.