Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Starsnostars posted:

What's the best use of money in the game? I can't remember if I'm supposed to be buying new gear or not.

The SP patches the doctor sells at a certain point in her confidant were good in the original game, there's a drink you can buy at a stand every sunday that doesn't take time and raises one social stat. I guess if guns are better then customising them will be worthwhile as well.

There's the shopping channel thing as well, I don't remember having to buy armour and weapons too often but you will sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

TheLoser posted:

Early question for everyone: What difficulty are y'all playing on? I cruised through vanilla P5 on Normal and still regret it. Does everything feel rebalanced?

I'm going to knock it up to hard tomorrow, just beat the first dungeon and did the mementos tutorial. Did the first dungeon in one day but it felt even easier than I remember it in the original, the guns and baton pass being more powerful and available straight away respectively help with that and the new technical damage thing which I'm still not entirely clear on. I think it's going to be pretty easy so you may as well put it up.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I had been following this guide up until now https://www.thegamer.com/persona-5-royal-may-walkthrough-guide/ and it had been seeming pretty good and accurate, now it's turned out that it gave me some innaccurate info on an event and now I'm way past where I would have been able to go back, I just finished Madarames palace at the point it told me too and then it says the next chariot hangout should be a rank up but it wasn't for me so seems like the answers it gave me at the previous scene were wrong and Kawakami wasn't outside the faculty lounge on the 28th either so not sure when I'll be able to start that, either way the entire guide will get messed up because of that so following it would be weird. I like how it specifally says the only ones you must keep up with are temperance and chariot as well and those are the ones that have been not correct for me.

Mainly just asking/making sure that the games not actually so tight that this will properly screw me on finishing all the confidants is it? Been so long since I played the original. Guess it means any guide is now useless though or I'll have to modify it a bit.

Edit: Oh no, turns out by "story segment" at nighttime on the 27th the guide meant "go talk to mishima and start the temperance thing" so that part isn't boned up, just very unclear. Chariot was still hosed for me though now I'm wondering if I boned it up, pretty sure I selected the options it said and had a chariot persona though. Eh, it'll probably be fine.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 1, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Perfect Potato posted:

I did the original blind (outside basic poo poo like just knowing when the confidants are available) in Japanese and ranked up everyone with a few days to spare. You'd figure Royal would be even more lenient

Yeah I did pretty well on the original as well, think I had Haru at rank 8 and the arcade kid at around the same left to do when I was a couple days from the point of no return and saw I wasn't going to do it based on the time I had available so didn't worry about it, intending to do it on NG+ which never happened. Was hoping to just get everyone maxed out in royal the first time and then if I ever want to do NG+ I'll be all free and breezy doing whatever I want.

It'll probably be fine, like I'll just hang out with Ryuji the next time he's available and replace whatever was in that day later I guess.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Stroth posted:

Should be, yes.

And 99% of the completionist guides right now are just copy pasted from the original game with a new title to draw clicks, so they're basically useless anyway.

I thought that might be the case but the one I was using did have stuff you couldn't do in the original in it. Could still be the case and they've just added stuff at night after going into the dungeons and stuff I guess.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yo, if anyone is sleeping on the new confidants, do not. I just got (spoilers for the Faith confidant I guess) the ability to grapple to a shadow to start a battle with an ambush. Ultimately it's just a way to eliminate that walking up to them part but it still sounds cool. Just wish I hadn't got it the day after finishing dungeon 3. Got ages til I can try it in the next one now.

Overall really enjoying this. I could see it being a drag or not that appealing if you'd finished P5 recently or had played it a couple times but as someone who got near the true ending and dropped the original at release, it's hitting the right spot of new changes and additions and keeping the good poo poo. There's a few things I would change for Persona in general (I really hate the "having to have a Persona of the same arcana for confidants/s-links thing, for example) but yeah, game good. The combat additions especially, I put it up to hard halfway through Madarames dungeon and it feels about right, though I do wish they'd let the MC go unconscious and let you revive them instead of game over.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Uh, so looking at a darts guide it looks like Futaba has an answer for getting her to get a perfect darts score, does upping her baton pass rank... do anything?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

So I am on 10/4 right now. Do I have enough time ot max out Futaba if she's rank 4 right now?

The full 100% guide I'm using as a rough guide has Hermit at 5 by the end of October, looking ahead it maxes it out in November.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah the boss of Okumura palace is a loving piece of poo poo, people were not exaggerating.

For the people who've beat it, what level were you? Wondering if I've gone in too early, the guide I was using gave two options at the point I was at, either to go in, get Haru activated, leave and then clear the palace much later or just clear it all but then the guide carried on as if I guess you took the first option cause none of the confidants it was suggesting afterwards were available for me after I cleared the whole palace in that initial visit. So then I saw I had a bunch of days with no confidants available figured I'd reload to the start of those two days and just send the calling card. Maybe I should go do mementos and get Haru's baton pass up or something.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 7, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If anyone else has trouble with Okumura at the end of his palace and doesn't mind changing the difficulty, try knocking it up to merciless. It makes it so you do triple damage with stuff enemies are weak to and there's nothing that'll take advantage of your weaknesses in the fight. Felt a bit dirty but that fight is loving awful, still had to use a few revival beads as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Spoilers for Rank 8 of the Justice confidant , loving hell this suuuuuucks. I can get him down to slightly below half then he just starts spamming almighty spells that take off nearly all of my health so just have to spam heals. Last attempt one just actually did all of my health. I have a persona with a skill that restores me to full health if I get ko'd but because I'm not getting ko'd it doesn't work in this fight. I just lose and it advances time to the next day so I have to reload and go through all of the text instead of just reattempting the fight. Anyone gotten to that point yet and have some pointers?

Edit: As usual in Persona, buffs and debuffs were the answer. Just kept his attack down the entire time and then alternated between that, healing with diarahan and hitting him very occasionally.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 10, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I saw somebody say you can level the confidants in the new content but there's a lot of stuff so you may want to minimise the amount, can you do the strength confidant as well? I'm at rank 6 and about to do the 6th dungeon so got plenty of time but I keep putting it off. Curious if I'll be able to leave it that late or not.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Arist posted:

I'm going to say no, but also Strength doesn't take time so as long as you have some summoning money you should be fine.

Yeah I know I just find it annoying and keep putting off doing it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Frog Act posted:

All that being said it seems like I’m at the actual beginning now where time / activities / choices make a difference, like I could only choice one of the dialogue choices in the weird jail, etc. Any important tips? Or just keep in mind what people said about hanging out with your friends in the evening (I haven’t unlocked any confidant things yet I don’t think)

The game will explain anything really important relatively well, try and keep a balance of hanging out with people and raising the social stats (knowledge, charm etc) cause a few of the confidants have hard requirements of those to continue them midway through. I'd suggest prioritising party members confidants as well whenever possible, they have in battle perks for leveling up their confidants whereas most of the others have other benefits that are a bit less immediate.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

So I 100% P5, should I get this now or wait till it is on sale?

I will still be waiting for the new month as I have been spending too much on video games because of quarantine.

If you have the inclination to play P5 again at all then this is a great enhancement but if it's still fresh in your mind and replaying it isn't a priority then I'd say wait. It's really, really good but I only played P5 at release and didn't get all the way to the end (tapped out at the last part in December so was right near the true ending) so 3 years have made me forget a lot of it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So according to stuff I've read, the skills they learn get added to the confessional in a NG+. That might be bullshit though, I've seen them in the confessional in the current playthrough at least. Makes the jazz club stuff you can get in the very late game a bit more useful if true as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I've always found mediarama generally sufficient even in the endgame of Persona 4 and 5 and now in Royal as well. It's even better in Royal with Morgana's trait.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think it's mainly tough because people struggle to kill the 4 big goons who are weak to psychic in two turns.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

TTBF posted:

I came to ask about this because even with lowering the difficulty to easy I can't beat this boss. It feels like a damage rate check and I'm barely failing on phase 4 with the green robots. If Haru had a turn after they stand up and not right before it, I'd be fine because I could hit them with their weaknesses and then baton pass. Unfortunately she's too fast. If I try to have Morgana or Makoto debuff on the defense boosted enemy's defense (instead of attacking with a ma- spell) then I won't have enough damage to even get it close. As soon as I do have them close they all run away and I have to start over. I can't get them to have status effects (only forget seems to hit with any regularity and a turn from anyone without a damage spell means not enough damage) so using technicals isn't an option. Pulling my hair out over this one.

Level 45.

Have you tried putting it on merciless difficulty? That's what the person you quoted did, it makes attacking weaknesses do way more damage in general so will make that part easier than putting it on easy probably will. I failed twice on hard and then put it on merciless and did it easily.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ToxicToast posted:

I hope now that Royal has been out here we get some news on Scramble soon. I had hopes we could possibly get it this summer about 6 months later than the JP release but that looks impossible now. Seems like a big mistake to not release it before PS5.

I mean they released Persona 4 in 2008 after the PS3 had been out for years, I don't think they're too worried about punctuality. The next gen of consoles will probably have a slow uptake as well comparatively because of.... events so I suspect the current consoles will continue to be supported for a long time.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Also I agree with the posts that think Yosuke is mostly pretty good as a character, though my recollection could be off some. I don't remember him getting into actual unethical territory (like Teddy) about the girls; I just remember him saying things to the protagonist like "yo Yukiko's pretty hot, right?" which is pretty normal teenager stuff. There's a big difference between saying that sort of thing directly to the person and saying it to someone else (in that the former is sexual harrasment while the latter is just kinda tacky in a way that is extremely normal for a teenager). I could be misremembering though, it's been a while.

There's all the lovely "oh I dunno if I wanna sleep in the same room with Kanji" stuff as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Equeen posted:

Hey thread. I just finished playing the original P5 and really enjoyed it! Part of me wants to immediately get Royal, but I want to be patient and reasonable and wait for price to decrease a bit. Is the $60 worth it?

Are you really aching to play the slightly dull parts of the game again when it's very fresh in your memory or did you play the original over a very long period of time? I found it entirely worth the full price but I hadn't played P5 since it originally came out so I had forgotten enough that it a bit fresher than it would have been.

I'd say it's probably going to go on sale at some point, think it was on a small sale a few weeks back actually so you'll be able to get it cheaper than $60 soon.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I never really understood why the Phantom Thieves were considered criminals, especially as early in the game as that happened. I understand Shido wanting to cast them as criminals, but I don't get what the actual crime and justification is supposed to be (since their powers aren't publicly known). From the public perspective, there are just calling cards and then suddenly people confess to their own crimes. I don't get what crime is supposed to be happening on the Phantom Thieves' end there.

Well given that criminals very rarely confess for no reason and the confession scenes in game have the palace owners acting really weird I think people would probably assume there's some crazy blackmail or extremely heavy handed coercion going on. I think the actual crime that gets talked about on the show with Akechi and stuff is like, disturbing the public order and undermining the justice system or something.

If you think about how much benefit of the doubt real life sexual abusers and grifters get there'd definitely be a raft of people saying the phantom thieves are just smearing these innocent job creators/creatives/whatever and that they are the true criminals.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 5, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

HaB posted:

P4G question: Laughing Table DOES still drop Fitting Board for the quest, right?

Anyone?

I’m playing the Steam version if that makes a difference.

First thing I looked up said trance twins on floors 3,4 and 5 of yukikos castle drop them. Then another separate page on the same website said those dudes you’ve been grinding drop them which sounds incorrect if you’ve been there that long so maybe give the former a go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This is an incredibly specific question but does anyone know if the PS4 version of Strikers has anything like the P5 Royal home themes they emailed codes for as you played through the game? Having P5 music on my home screen was a pretty decent little perk. Seems like Strikers will probably be pretty similar on all 3 platforms so it's down to little stuff like that and which controller I like the best that'll be the decider.