Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Post crows and about crows in this thread

The only thread where talking about murder is not just allowed, but mandatory

I'll start with an interesting article done by a crow researcher:

https://corvidresearch.blog/2018/07/16/putting-the-crow-in-necrophilia/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
How do I attract crows to my yard?

I know that you can befriend them by giving them food and shiny objects, and that sounds badass, but what's step one, getting them to come to your yard in the first place?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

How do I attract crows to my yard?

I know that you can befriend them by giving them food and shiny objects, and that sounds badass, but what's step one, getting them to come to your yard in the first place?

Crows are known for scavenging battlefields. So leaving some corpses out should do it.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
sorry i'm going to have to open a qcs thread about this

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

crows seem belligerent

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRS9K4rZ8Y

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i used to live up north where crows were everywhere, but now i live in central texas where they're pretty rare, and while i don't consciously miss them, seeing or hearing one always makes me happy

here, there's a family of about four or five that's been living in a greenspace where i walk my dog for years, and every time i see them, i think "i should befriend these crows" but I don't know how to go about that. they're very aloof and skittish so just tossing bread crumbs around might not work. they're clearly doing okay for themselves anyway and might look down on my pittance of bread crumbs.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
There are a pair of ravens that nest somewhere near my house. It's kind of weird, because I'm down at sea level and they are normally found at higher elevations. But it's cool too. You can hear their unique vocalizations, or see them flying around getting harassed by groups of crows.

Difference between crows and ravens: https://www.birdnote.org/show/ravens-and-crows-whos-who

Also, in college there was a crow that hung out in the parking lot. It would perch on the street lights and imitate the car alarm/ unlocking beep noises. It was a very good mimic!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Problem solving - Object Exploration in Kea and Crows

Researchers from our Department of Psychology have discovered that New Caledonian crows and kea parrots can learn about the usefulness of objects by playing with them - similar to human baby behaviour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO3W69tkTq8

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Here's a picture of one of 'em from back when it snowed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Australian ravens are the best. They are just so tired of our poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy-5zAtAmZE

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Vim Fuego posted:

There are a pair of ravens that nest somewhere near my house. It's kind of weird, because I'm down at sea level and they are normally found at higher elevations. But it's cool too. You can hear their unique vocalizations, or see them flying around getting harassed by groups of crows.

Difference between crows and ravens: https://www.birdnote.org/show/ravens-and-crows-whos-who

Also, in college there was a crow that hung out in the parking lot. It would perch on the street lights and imitate the car alarm/ unlocking beep noises. It was a very good mimic!

Cool. So that means that there are probably a decent number of ravens where I live.

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.
Is scrub jay talk okay here? They're corvids.

A pair of scrub jays lives in my small urban yard. I've been making friends with them by sitting out at the same time each day and giving them peanuts. At first, I had to toss them at least three feet away before they'd swoop down to get them, but now they'll come right up to me. Or, rather, the female will come right up to me. I call her JJ, because that's how I call out to her ("Jay, Jay!"), and I'm just very creative like that. When I talk to JJ, she makes little croaking noises back at me. Meanwhile, her mate (whom I call 'Big Blue,' 'cause he's an unusually big and chonky jay and, like I said, I am very creative) will flutter over to sit on a nearby branch of the cherry tree and watch the proceedings suspiciously.

The last couple of days, JJ has been nowhere to be seen, and I was getting worried about her. But then today, Big Blue came close to me to accept a peanut for the very first time. Usually the jays bury the peanuts, but this time Big Blue cracked it open right there in front of me, gulped down one of the nuts, and took the other one into the overgrown robinia hedge. He did the same thing with a second nut, and then a few minutes later, he emerged with JJ in tow. Big Blue then retreated up to his usual tree branch while JJ came over to croak for a couple more peanuts before she returned to the hedge.

So I guess now I know where their nest is. I wonder if JJ's laid any eggs yet. The internet tells me this is the right time of the year for that to be happening.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
a kea took my stepladder

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

post top 10 corvos

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I had a hawk (I think a Cooper's Hawk) by my house for the first part of this winter

I guess the local crows didn't like it, because they started hanging around for the first time in years and chasing it off

Haven't seen the hawk in months, but the crows are a common sight and sound now

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
Dr. Corvus D. Clemmons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fynUiJRsvpc

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

in the fall, theres an absolutely massive murder of crows that hangs out around the mississippi gorge in minneapolis around franklin ave. super surreal biking to work past the childrens hospital and seeing hundreds of crows going nuts

they are cool as hell

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

in the fall, theres an absolutely massive murder of crows that hangs out around the mississippi gorge in minneapolis around franklin ave. super surreal biking to work past the childrens hospital and seeing hundreds of crows going nuts

they are cool as hell

Yeah all the crows like to roost downtown and then commute to the neighborhoods during the day. See hundreds, if not thousands circling downtown when I get there about 700. We have a bunch that live by our house, they like to pick and choose the best bits of our compost heap.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
beautiful birds, omens of death and dying empires

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i was walking to work when I heard a crow, I looked up at it only to look directly into the sun. It was sitting perfectly below it.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Corvids and cant spread Covid, right?

I ask because crows spread the t-virus in Resident Evil: Extinction by feasting on infected corpses. Are we looking at a similar scenario, op?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Homeless Friend posted:

i was walking to work when I heard a crow, I looked up at it only to look directly into the sun. It was sitting perfectly below it.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Bill Corvid sounds like a guys name

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

beautiful birds, omens of death and dying empires

Oct 28, 2003

corvids are the best

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
best birds

Oct 28, 2003

that is one fancy bird

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjxjhWIDdmU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

138 posted:

that is one fancy bird

fancy jackasses

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
The Beautiful Jay from the Andes is one of the sleekest and most compelling even if it is antisocial but its abysmal SEO means it will never be as popular as it should

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Zvahl posted:

The Beautiful Jay from the Andes is one of the sleekest and most compelling even if it is antisocial but its abysmal SEO means it will never be as popular as it should

You should do some consulting for them, improve their marketing, maybe workshop a new name or something to give them a boost.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Lots of magpies around here, and there is an old legend/poem/myth that the number of them you see can be used to predict the future

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret,
Never to be told.
Eight for a wish,
Nine for a kiss,
Ten a surprise you should be careful not to miss,
Eleven for health,
Twelve for wealth,
Thirteen beware its the devil himself.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Went to Perth for Christmas and saw this big boy

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

A transcendant call. What could they be trying to tell us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvzjFmYIZNc

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

loving lol

Corvid 19!!
https://twitter.com/jamesheathers/status/1234966812774801411?s=09

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
This is a 100% sincere and serious post: My family/household has a pod of crows that're extremely friendly to us. They even know who's who in the family based on what we do for them. We put food out for them, a lotta stuff like chicken, turkey, ham carvasses end up out back and they come pick them clean/carry off the bones. Our neighbors keep wondering why their gutters get clogged with chicken bones, but I think we're keeping mum. They come up onto our deck to peer in at the crack of dawn to see when someone wakes up so they can crow at us as if to say 'hey, more food!' or 'thanks!' after they're fed. They perch up on our roof when nobody's around and wait for someone to come home, at least if it's one of my parents who put the food out. They don't seem to care about my comings and goings, haha. They used to keep hawks away from the place when hawks would hang around and kill/feed on mourning doves, little birds, and even ducks (our area of MN used to have heated ponds that didn't ever freeze over, so mallards just stayed all loving year in flocks numbering into the 100s, we could go through a 50-pound bag of cracked corn in a day with them around). Oh, and they do the 'shiny objects' poo poo all the time with us. They'll drop off poo poo on our front porch or onto our deck, keys and the like. It's loving insane.

They're just genuinely really cool and smart birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Zvahl posted:

best birds

Blue jays loving LOVE SHELLED PEANUTS. We usually set them out for the squirrels to get, but jays are crazy about them. And by 'crazy', I don't mean 'come get them and fly away with them to eat'. I mean they'll come to the deck, pick up a peanut, shake it around a bit, then PUT IT RIGHT BACK WHERE THEY GOT IT FROM AND PICK UP ANOTHER ONE TO INSPECT IT before they find their perfect peanut and fly off with it. I don't know what the hell they think is so different between each one, but they're ridiculously picky and precise.