Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
while other people are struggling to pay rent or literally dying, I’m trying to soothe my anxiety and alleviate my boredom with capital expenditures. tell me, yospos, what computer or device should I purchase to fill the emptiness in my consumerist soul? what’s the best tech-thing to buy for ignoring the world for a few precious moments?

im thinking of about a Sony alpha mirrorless camera, because I want to take good photos but I don’t know how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
doesnt matter because anything worth a poo poo has april 18th delivery dates on prime. i'm hunting for a midi controller that will ship a bit sooner than that today

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Best Buy will do curbside pickup for online orders, so that’s nice. at least until they are forced to close.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I bought two Switch’s for the kids the day before lockdown so they’d leave me the gently caress alone and we are day 4 or 5 and animal crossing multiplayer is dogshit so they aren’t even using them and instead not leaving me the gently caress alone.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I bought two Switch’s for the kids the day before lockdown so they’d leave me the gently caress alone and we are day 4 or 5 and animal crossing multiplayer is dogshit so they aren’t even using them and instead not leaving me the gently caress alone.

whats wrong with it? was about to buy a 2nd switch

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nothing wrong with having two switches. it’s that you have to buy two of each game to play multiplayer plus family online thing Nintendo making some nice dosh

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

while other people are struggling to pay rent or literally dying, I’m trying to soothe my anxiety and alleviate my boredom with capital expenditures. tell me, yospos, what computer or device should I purchase to fill the emptiness in my consumerist soul? what’s the best tech-thing to buy for ignoring the world for a few precious moments?

im thinking of about a Sony alpha mirrorless camera, because I want to take good photos but I don’t know how.

that's a good choice. don't forget an assortment of lenses to go with it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have no legitimate reasons to be dissastified with my current technology except ya read about new ones and they do cool poo poo these days

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
op should take up woodcarving imo, push that tech aside and carve a log into a gnome or some poo poo

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
remember the feeling of building that new rig?

I hate this rig now. dusty pos. I want to build a new computer

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

my local computer parts pusher is handling corona pretty well, i got parts for a new ryzen 3900x build delivered to my doorstep on a sunday last week

been blowing up demons and raiding tombs ever since

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Buy some land, buy some land (WHAT!)
gently caress spinnin' rims

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

doesnt matter because anything worth a poo poo has april 18th delivery dates on prime.

I think they just give super conservative delivery estimates bc they prioritize the expedition of essential stuff but you can get lucky and get a delivery slot sooner

I ordered something that was to be delivered Friday the 3rd and they actually sent it on Friday and it'll be there Tuesday

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rotor posted:

op should take up woodcarving imo, push that tech aside and carve a log into a gnome or some poo poo

I’ve been cleaning out old pistons from my car to have as display pieces. today I’m researching how to clean out fuel jets without spilling gasoline everywhere. I don’t have all the tools I need, so that might be a dead end. either way, the wife is losing patience with engine parts in the sink. so back to computer

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Management posted:

I’ve been cleaning out old pistons from my car to have as display pieces. today I’m researching how to clean out fuel jets without spilling gasoline everywhere. I don’t have all the tools I need, so that might be a dead end. either way, the wife is losing patience with engine parts in the sink. so back to computer

make a mini lathe with scrap wood

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Management posted:

if you're just starting out I highly recommend the smaller cameras in the fujifilm x-series: x100t, f, or v if you're comfortable with a prime lens (do this!) or x-t20 or x-t30 if you really need multiple lenses. they are serious and excellent cameras but have the big advantage of being really small: the best camera is the one you'll use the most, and having one you can take everywhere on a whim make a huge difference in terms of where you actually end up with your camera and your productivity. they also make candids and portraits a lot easier because you're using a small and friendly looking camera as opposed to sticking a massive tacticool black box in someone's face.

i own an x-t2 and honestly wish I had gotten one of the smaller cameras. sony alpha mirrorless are a bit pointless unless you absolutely need full frame, since the lenses on them are massive and negate the portability bonus you get with a mirrorless body.

btw another good way to spend ur six figgies rn is nice headphones, which make a big difference during wfh with other people around. i have audezes and they rule.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 29, 2020

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Jonny 290 posted:

doesnt matter because anything worth a poo poo has april 18th delivery dates on prime. i'm hunting for a midi controller that will ship a bit sooner than that today

maybe give sweetwater a shot? they're a better place to buy stuff like that from anyway.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

or b&h? full disclosure i havent used them in forever tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

relative_q posted:

maybe give sweetwater a shot? they're a better place to buy stuff like that from anyway.

ooh good thinkin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

if you're just starting out I highly recommend the smaller cameras in the fujifilm x-series: x100t, f, or v if you're comfortable with a prime lens (do this!) or x-t20 or x-t30 if you really need multiple lenses. they are serious and excellent cameras but have the big advantage of being really small: the best camera is the one you'll use the most, and having one you can take everywhere on a whim make a huge difference in terms of where you actually end up with your camera and your productivity. they also make candids and portraits a lot easier because you're using a small and friendly looking camera as opposed to sticking a massive tacticool black box in someone's face.

i own an x-t2 and honestly wish I had gotten one of the smaller cameras. sony alpha mirrorless are a bit pointless unless you absolutely need full frame, since the lenses on them are massive and negate the portability bonus you get with a mirrorless body.

btw another good way to spend ur six figgies rn is nice headphones, which make a big difference during wfh with other people around. i have audezes and they rule.

what I want out a mirror less is the combination of autofocus technology that we have these days but mostly the ability to be able to see how much dynamic range I’m actually capturing before I take the shot, and more specifically how some lighting will look in these situation.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

post the gnome op

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i got an old oly m43 camera (m10 mk2) with the kit lens + a second hand slightly nicer prime one for portraits for my gf, and it is definitely all the camera we need. it takes very nice photos easily, is small, and cost about 550eur total.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some 2020 autofocusing tech wouldn’t go astray in my hands

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you guys are bad at consumerism

pram
Jun 10, 2001
buy a computer op. the possibilities are endless!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

buy a computer op. the possibilities are endless!

this guy gets it. what’s the best computer for wasting time?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want an RTX video card so I can gently caress around in UE4 with real time path tracing

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

The Management posted:

apple macbook pro 16" 2019

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The Management posted:

a Commodore 64

this year everyone can be a demoscene nerd if they want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IogPRz0XEIs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm getting a dj controller and djay on my ipad which interfaces with tidal so I can just gently caress around on that for like forever

yeah records are better but I had a major vinyl buying problem back in the day

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I'm getting a dj controller and djay on my ipad which interfaces with tidal so I can just gently caress around on that for like forever

this dude is living his best quarantine life.

what are the rest of you buying?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

wasting time? literally anything with linux installed

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Management posted:

online shopping is shut down with everything else so i'm just saving bookmarks to things :(

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

wasting time? literally anything with linux installed

did that yesterday. tried installing macos on VMware on Linux without using any third party kexts. failed. might try again later.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

I was agonizing over spending two thousand loving dollars on a pair of 1200mk3d's and a nice mixer and decided to try out the digital side and just bought a traktor S2

i am _delighted_ with it

it's so loving fun, records are archival mode curios for me now

i added an X1 on the side to trigger extra loops and have extra knobs to twiddle filters with and it's a rather perfect setup

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Jonny 290 posted:

I was agonizing over spending two thousand loving dollars on a pair of 1200mk3d's and a nice mixer and decided to try out the digital side and just bought a traktor S2

i am _delighted_ with it

it's so loving fun, records are archival mode curios for me now

i added an X1 on the side to trigger extra loops and have extra knobs to twiddle filters with and it's a rather perfect setup

i'm glad i bought my 1200mk2s back in the day before the prices went through the goddamn roof

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i am _delighted_ with it

I ordered a pioneer xdj 400, I had the original kontrol s2 several years ago but didn’t like being at my computer. djay on ipad is pretty nice

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hitachi magic wand

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

hitachi magic wand
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

oven pizzas