Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
buy one of everything made by teenage engineering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

eschaton posted:

buy one of everything made by teenage engineering

OP1 production line would do so well i would instantly slap a thousand dollars down on one right now

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I bought a little Fuji mirrorless camera and it's great. I have the 27mm prime and it'll fit in my jorts pocket

also redid the drivetrain on my bike that I can't ride outside

repaired my tent for the camping i can't do. had to hold it down overnight in a wind storm with lava rocks and they tore the he*k out of it.

other than that idk, computers are terrible and tech poo poo is worthless trash that isn't worth having

-------
posts below here have to be nice to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you are one of my favorite posters and i love you! i am glad your tent is repaired

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

New Zealand can now order “basic essential items” now. which includes: fridges, kettles, heaters and laptops.

little Indy stores that I bought a RAM chip off in 2006 are now since the first time since my initial and only purchase are now emailing me saying that I can buy laptops from them now.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
mate. cheers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i want more synth gear

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

essential

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

has anyone found the right thing to buy yet? i got a bunch of cat food so my cats have more time to figure out the can opener while feasting on my corpse. hasn't helped me but my cats seem content

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
buy a lathe, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

buy a lathe, op

true. turnabout is fair play

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
goddammit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

true. turnabout is fair play

gently caress

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

has anyone found the right thing to buy yet? i got a bunch of cat food so my cats have more time to figure out the can opener while feasting on my corpse. hasn't helped me but my cats seem content

keep buying catfood, op. maybe a little salami, as a treat.

-signed,
not a cat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I will put my entire heart behind buying a Bass Station II

especially second hand as the price is exceptional for what you get. and if you get a usb sound interface too then the world is your oyster as the BS2 works as a midi keyboard but can also produce a never ending range of mono synth tones

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i bought one of those transparent lock sets with tools, that worked okay for a bit. now i need to get some harder ones though

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

How about a couple of Tamagotchis. Scale up as needed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

get an actual stereo and a record player and you could spend an eternity adjusting speaker toe in, eq, tracking force, headshell angle and looking stuff up on discogs

if you get a subwoofer too that unlocks a whole other set of variables to constantly tweak

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Get a musical instrument op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Asleep Style posted:

Get a musical instrument op

yep that’s what I’m saying

the bass station II is the mother loving poo poo, and I use it in ableton live to control midi and see right now for example arturia have a sale and are selling some collection for $250 usd and it simulates loads of old analog synths so it’s like having all those synths on hand

nothing compares to actually fiddling knobs on a real synth but then again big poly synths costs thousands

I want a novation summit synth. wanna be able to play huge pads and fill my living room with vibrations

last time I took acid I had the synth playing a slow evolving sound. it made me feel. probably wasn’t as good as playing real music by real musician but it was pretty fun. would have been epic as poo poo if it was a big synth

I’m thinking about looking at getting serum synth vst. you can buy it for $10 a week for 20 weeks until it’s yours. makes it pretty affordable.

that’s my consumerism story

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i want to get an expensive espresso machine but the espresso machine store is closed along with everything else

their main business is doing maintenance for cafes so they're probably pretty screwed atm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

the bass station II is the mother loving poo poo, and I use it in ableton live to control midi and see right now for example arturia have a sale and are selling some collection for $250 usd and it simulates loads of old analog synths so it’s like having all those synths on hand

nothing compares to actually fiddling knobs on a real synth but then again big poly synths costs thousands

I want a novation summit synth. wanna be able to play huge pads and fill my living room with vibrations

last time I took acid I had the synth playing a slow evolving sound. it made me feel. probably wasn’t as good as playing real music by real musician but it was pretty fun. would have been epic as poo poo if it was a big synth

I’m thinking about looking at getting serum synth vst. you can buy it for $10 a week for 20 weeks until it’s yours. makes it pretty affordable.

eh. I don't disagree that knob fiddling is fun but I think dedicated knobs and especially all that eurorack poo poo is way way overrated and straps you down to a very slow workflow

the better approach is soft synths and a bunch of endless rotary encoders on some fader box. that way you can switch between tracks that you're working on without trying to set all the knobs and patches the way they were.

if you work on one song at a time from start to final mixdown, hardware stuff is a-ok. but i flip back and forth between 3-4 of them at any given moment

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah for sure. I guess what I meant was that having direct control of a bunch of variables is a different league to just doing one at a time with a mouse

I would love the perfect midi keyboard with knobs and finger drum pads but none stand out above the rest

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh yeah gently caress trying to do stuff in a monitor.

I have a big 24 switch pedalboard I made with a UMC32 and a shitload of those big stompy switches to let me trigger loops and such

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10531

the i/o's support potentiometers so if one could get their hands on one of these (sadly theyre out of prod) you could build your own midi fader box with whatever controls you wanted

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

echinopsis posted:

don't do it, echi. you will buy that poo poo and it will overtake your life and you will spend eternity holed up in a dark room making beep boop noises like i do

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

something like this is decently affordable [$219 lol] and fully midi mappable.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

something like this is decently affordable [$219 lol] and fully midi mappable.

lol that looks sick, although more of a compliment. need a keyboard and drum pads and faders ideally too. maybe.

the novation launchpad pro looks wicked how you can use it as a sequencer too so it can be used without a DAW

relative_q posted:

don't do it, echi. you will buy that poo poo and it will overtake your life and you will spend eternity holed up in a dark room making beep boop noises like i do

i’m not worried lol, tbh I hardly ever listen to anything like dance music, even if it’s kinda what I make. and because of that i’m never good enough to make anything worthwhile listening to, and i’m hyper aware of this, so i often get depressed about like why I am I wasting my time making music no one will ever listen to but then maybe I enjoy just playing synthesisers as a hobby much like exercise except not good for you

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

a grill

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
echi I’m serious get some teenage engineering gear it’s cool

my PO-20 is lots of fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how do they mix in with everything else?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I haven’t tried to mix my OP-20 in with anything

the OP-Z and OP-1 are full modern instruments and work with general MIDI stuff via USB from what I understand

at least OP-Z even has an add on that gives you a connector that can be adapted to a traditional MIDI (they sell the adapter, it’s needed because MIDI is chonk and the OP-Z is slim)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

confirming that pocket operators rule. my PO-32 is great

I don't much care for the op-1 or op-z but I've never been able to play with them, so this is mostly me saying that I don't like the way they look

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what I suppose I mean is, is it just a solo instrument like a guitar or a casio kids keyboard

does it make its own noise or do you plug in headphones

that’s ny baby

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

You should by a Fujifilm and then a Pentax Me/MX, stock up on funny 35mm and make the daily outing you take from your shelter be a forced camera trip where you force yourself to take pictures of everyting to get gud noob...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

i’m not worried lol, tbh I hardly ever listen to anything like dance music, even if it’s kinda what I make. and because of that i’m never good enough to make anything worthwhile listening to, and i’m hyper aware of this, so i often get depressed about like why I am I wasting my time making music no one will ever listen to but then maybe I enjoy just playing synthesisers as a hobby much like exercise except not good for you

hey man quit it with this sort of thing

i remember i downloaded "shaumber" and "defiled" from you some years back and i listen to them sometimes when they suit the mood

have you made & posted anything recently?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
literally posted this today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ycoNHknEZA
its just 8 bars repeating and slowly evolving, it's not a song as such. wanted to make my first music video where I made all of it. bit of a hello world in that regard

honestly man I don't know what to think about what you just said, I find it hard to believe. thankyou though. that's a good feeling. which is

I really wrestle with it, and I came to the conclusion that making something that is pleasing to my own ear is enough. that's all it needs to be, doesn't need to be even a song, just sounds. songs would be good but they take more time. but regardless, spending time doing that is time well spent

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

thinking about a midi keyboard probably not a full 88 or super fancy weighted one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you can actually play the piano, even a bit, it is 100% worth it to get a weighted keyboard. i have a yamaha p-115 and it feels way better than their lower end models without the weighting.

also you can hook it up to a computer and do synth stuff and it's rad as hell. make sure to use the ASIO4ALL driver so that you get real time response.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PCjr sidecar posted:

thinking about a midi keyboard probably not a full 88 or super fancy weighted one

get a novation summit

because I can’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Buy a smoker, OP. Make some meats.