Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
The lesson of robocop 2 is don’t put criminal brains in a robot body. It’s subtle, but if you pay attention you’ll catch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Breetai posted:

RoboCop 1 is better in every way and in every scene than anything in RoboCop 2, except for that montage which is somehow better than anything in RoboCop 1.

Amazing scenes in 1 that are arguably better:

ed209 demonstration kills executive
ed209 going down the stairs

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

The lesson of robocop 2 is don’t put criminal brains in a robot body. It’s subtle, but if you pay attention you’ll catch it.

It's weird that the makers of the film got that right, whereas the supposedly superior first film put a cop's brain in the robot body but it mostly shot white people. I know it's science fiction, but suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Continental posted:

1. Frank Miller wrote Robocop, neat.

Miller's script was unfilmable and Walon Green was on-set rewriting and writing new pages almost every day of production. The finished movie has very little of Miller's script in it.

If you want to see what Miller wanted to do, a comic adaptation was released several years ago. It's really loving awful.

You Are A Elf posted:

:hmbol: (holding my butt open laughing), Robocop 3 sucks poo poo. It’s so bad that it was filmed in 1991, but didn’t get released until two years later.

It took so long to be released because Orion went bankrupt. Wasn't until MGM purchased the library that it was dug out of the vault for a November 1993 release.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I had Frank Miller's comic adaption for RoboCop 1 when I was a kid and the artwork was amazing.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I bought the Scream Factory blu-ray of Robocop 3 because I support Fred Dekker.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Frank Miller went completely apeshit some time in the early 1990s. Between the original Martha Washington miniseries (which was weird af but still entertaining) and the first of the sequel miniseries (which were just a huge pile of WTF).

Looking back, the mental cracks are visible much sooner, but back in the 80s and very early 90s he could mostly write good stuff.

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Page Fletcher the guy that plays Robocop had his own show in the 80s called the hitchhiker

used to watch it on the horror channel in '07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eRUpjlZNMU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

The Management posted:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

The Management posted:

They tried cop brains and except for thr first time it never worked. I can't blame them for branching out snd trying something different

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The Management posted:

I'm pretty sure it was that 10 year old blond white kids make the best drug kingpins.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’d like a film that explores how grumpy family man red foreman became criminal gang leader Clarence boddiker.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dr. Heart Collapse posted:

Page Fletcher the guy that plays Robocop had his own show in the 80s called the hitchhiker

used to watch it on the horror channel in '07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eRUpjlZNMU

Fletcher only played him for TV, Peter Weller is Robocop.

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The_Continental posted:

Fletcher only played him for TV, Peter Weller is Robocop.

gotcha

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"Riff Markowitz" is the platonic ideal of a US TV executive name. If I ever have a son, I've found his name.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

The Management posted:

I’d like a film that explores how grumpy family man red foreman became criminal gang leader Clarence boddiker.

Once Eric Foreman revealed he was gay, Red snapped and disappeared.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The Management posted:

Surrounded by too many dumb asses.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Timby posted:

It took so long to be released because Orion went bankrupt. Wasn't until MGM purchased the library that it was dug out of the vault for a November 1993 release.

Yeah, I know, but the same thing happened to Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (principal photography finished in 1987, financier goes bankrupt, someone else buys the rights and finally releases it in 1989), and it became a huge success. Robocop 3 did not.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I bought the Scream Factory blu-ray of Robocop 3 because I support Fred Dekker.

Night of the Creeps and The Monster Squad loving OWN.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah, I know, but the same thing happened to Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (principal photography finished in 1987, financier goes bankrupt, someone else buys the rights and finally releases it in 1989), and it became a huge success. Robocop 3 did not.

Lmao it’s gonna happen again, they were wrapping on bill and ted 3 right before the shitstorm hit

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Management posted:

I unfortunately know too many old men who self identify as "grumpy old men surrounded by dumbasses", and they are kind of the worst.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

My favorite part of that 70s show was the laugh track to mostly unironic racism

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Timby posted:

Miller's script was unfilmable and Walon Green was on-set rewriting and writing new pages almost every day of production. The finished movie has very little of Miller's script in it.

If you want to see what Miller wanted to do, a comic adaptation was released several years ago. It's really loving awful.

The comic is beyond bad, it's really stupid. You can see the pieces that made it in to RoboCop 2 and 3, but the Miller version is just unbelievably bad. There is a loving romance between RoboCop and Louis.

GomerTron
Dec 29, 2008

$90,000,000.00
Just posting because my avatar is relevant. And probably never will be again

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

GomerTron posted:

GREAT JOB!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

robocop 1 and 2 were both good, 2 maybe slightly better (just like hellraiser)

3 was bad, except that it had a flying robocop at the end

remake was bad

tv series was real real bad

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

GomerTron posted:

:roboluv:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Telebite posted:

remake was bad

I liked this scene.

https://youtu.be/UFuxiZFwDPs

That's it.

Also "Our RoboCop Remake" was good, but this scene was absolutely amazing:

:siren:WARNING: Lots of dicks:siren:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/86014703

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Telebite posted:

robocop 1 and 2 were both good, 2 maybe slightly better
1 was one of those basically perfect movies. 2 was not

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I always liked RoboCain's design. I believe it was some of the last stop motion type models. Robots were probably the best type of thing for that medium, since any twitchiness still looked normal for how people expect a robot to move. From a story perspective RoboCain is a great example of Mission Creep- he had a mini gun, shotgun turret, battering ram, arc welder, and bolt cutters. It has a digitigrade stance with these anchor spikes to keep it rooted in place. And a flat screen monitor that displayed a CG "face". This was seen as a prototype for a whole series of Robocops that would patrol Delta City. The Old Man says there's going to be a pretty big call for these, though considering the body count it doesn't seem like they would really need all that many.

It's important to note that for all the features, they didn't give RoboCain the ability to talk. This had two effects, one was robbing Cain of any agency (see how he flips out on his girlfriend when he realizes the prison he's stuck inside of) and the other made him more imposing. ED-209 could talk, but this was used to comic effect, like a malfunctioning car alarm more than anything.

Figuring out the 'right' brain to use was an interesting detail too- the other Robocops couldn't handle the transition into a cyborg which is why they killed themselves. Murphys sense of duty was contrasted with Cains god complex. Cain jonesing for the Nuke the old man was holding was pretty funny. And that climactic fight at the end was really exciting when I first watched it on VHS as a kid.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Roboslud

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Bitches did not return
Would have made a nice callback

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Why do you suppose they left the eyes on Cain Brain and do you think they were removed before putting the whole thing inside the presumably dark recess of RoboCain?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wamdoodle posted:

Why do you suppose they left the eyes on Cain Brain and do you think they were removed before putting the whole thing inside the presumably dark recess of RoboCain?

Maybe keeping them fresh so Cains visual sensors could be wired into the optic nerves?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Wamdoodle posted:

cuz that poo poo looks fuckin' rad

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The_Continental posted:

cuz that poo poo looks fuckin' rad

Also, just to gently caress with him

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Also, just to gently caress with him

A vial of nuke left at just the edge of his field of vision.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The scene where the OCP truck drops off Cain outside the abandoned facility before he massacres his old gang is very unsettling.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Telebite posted:

robocop 1 and 2 were both good, 2 maybe slightly better (just like hellraiser)

3 was bad, except that it had a flying robocop at the end

remake was bad

tv series was real real bad

Don't forget the made for TV movies, which are not part of the TV series and are actually worse.

My favorite part is where they build another Robocop, same design as Alex Murphy Robocop. And everythinks it's Alex Murphy Robocop because no one notices that suddenly Robocop is a black man.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The scene where the OCP truck drops off Cain outside the abandoned facility before he massacres his old gang is very unsettling.
Yeah I always found that scene horrifying. The hydraulic sounds as Cain moved, then the way he'd shine the spotlight on someone right before blowing them away.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Wamdoodle posted:

It was to add to the body horror aspect by giving you a pov shot of his brain in the jar watching the doctors holding up his own head.

It's also possible they weren't sure exactly how they were going to integrate him into the robot, so they wanted to keep the eyes and spine just in case they needed them.