Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I've been a member since like, 2013 I wanna say. I got it for the free/quick shipping. I don't use their streaming or music or other add-in features. $120 is a lot of dough for me, especially at this point in my life. How does Walmart/Target shipping go? Seems like Walmart.com items aren't just exclusive to their own company anymore, I can buy stuff from other sellers? I'm a little hesitant. What do yall think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
cant you still get separate purchases shipped together on a specific day of the week without prime? which is as good as 2-day shipping under some circumstances and more considerate for amazon workers

for deal shopping just put a handful of cheap products in the saved-for-later section of your cart that you are ok buying at regular price so when a sale comes along you can get that whatever thing at the sale price and still get free shipping

in general i am buying way way way less stuff so its not a good time for prime

also prime delivery is probably like a 6-day service right now if youre lucky

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 29, 2020

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Pretty disgusting how many people still use Amazon.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You can get a .edu email address for like 99 cents on eBay OP. Then you can use that to verify you're a student and get the student prime rates.

Also, I only do prime a monthly basis and only when I am going to be ordering a few things. No need to keep it all the time, what a rip off.

Also Amazon Prime is quite comical. They charge you a yearly fee for free shipping. Then they charge their third party FBA sellers fulfillment fees to pack and ship the item to you anyway.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

A Grand Egg posted:

Post alternatives

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Devils Affricate posted:

Post alternatives

Genuinely Costco has a pretty good .com shopping experience for a lot of things and they're really trying to build it out in recent yeras; i don't think people have considered it. Newegg is also usually par with amazon on computer doodads and poo poo. a lot of clothes/shoes can be ordered directly from suppliers like uniqlo. ebay exists but i loving hate ebay-paypal experience and hate it with every fiber of my being. Target can be fine as well but eh, they're just as bad as jeff bezos. Jet.com I only used back when they had big VC money pouring into it for insane coupons, but they had a decent front although I havent really used it since walmart bought it; and not like walmart is better than jeff bezos. but uh yeah this is pretty much the big thing is that isn't really any options, and def not as a one-shop-stop.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I unsubbed a couple years ago, and they regularly throw out promotions of free trials of Prime or heavy discounts whenever I buy something off Amazon. Those usually pop up during checkout.

Otherwise you can still get free regular shipping if you spend $35 or whatever, which isn’t too bad. The yearly rate is pointless unless you’re ordering a shitload of stuff year-round or use some of the other services like video or Kindle.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Imagine thinking you can consume anything and not contribute to some terrible wealth

All the money you spend online or in person filters down to around 20 different awful people

Just renew it Bezos is fine as any of em

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Supreme Allah posted:

Imagine thinking you can consume anything and not contribute to some terrible wealth

All the money you spend online or in person filters down to around 20 different awful people

Just renew it Bezos is fine as any of em
actually jeff bezos should be inserted into a garbage compactor as soon as possible

open container
Sep 16, 2008

A Grand Egg posted:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Dolphin posted:

actually jeff bezos should be inserted into a garbage compactor as soon as possible

I never said he shouldn't. But should he be first, I think he should be about 8th

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I leech off my parents' account for Twitch Prime games and to watch The Expanse. The quality of Twitch Prime's offerings varies so much from month to month I wouldn't even consider paying for it myself.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I love Amazon. In fact, I have an order coming today on the Lord's Day. But I can understand not watching their Prime video if you're Amish or something and that does take some of the value from it.

Walmart's 2 day shipping is good and sometimes you can even pick it up in store from their vending machine (if your local store is so equipped) if it doesn't qualify for free shipping but is free "ship to store" . I have yet for a Target 2-day order to actually make it in 2 days. Target 2-day means "probably less than 7". Every time this happens, I order and it shows that the order is processing for a few days and then, as soon as it ships it only takes 2 days so it's Target and not the carrier.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Lol if you think contributing to one form of capitalism is worse than any other. It's all horribly broken and we all deserve death

Korthal
May 26, 2011

On the contrary OP, let me provide you with my thesis about the plight of labor, jeff bezos's plan to replace us all with robots and the cuckolding of americans by a megacorproation.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Someday they are gonna do that lord of the rings show and you'll want to watch it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Since we are practicing social distancing and cutting out all the non-mandatory trips and working from home, Amazon prime has been a life saver. Not to mention Amazon warehouses have been hiring a lot of people who are out of work now, so I want to support them as well. Let's not forget Amazon contracts with USPS for deliveries too.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Bioshuffle posted:

Since we are practicing social distancing and cutting out all the non-mandatory trips and working from home, Amazon prime has been a life saver. Not to mention Amazon warehouses have been hiring a lot of people who are out of work now, so I want to support them as well. Let's not forget Amazon contracts with USPS for deliveries too.

Yeah but Bezos is rich.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
online shopping is the devil, op

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Ya, great idea during a pandemic, pack a bunch of people who dont get paid enough to miss a day of work and dont get paid sick leave into a warehouse in close quarters and have them ship poo poo all around the country.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

Ya, great idea during a pandemic, pack a bunch of people who dont get paid enough to miss a day of work and dont get paid sick leave into a warehouse in close quarters and have them ship poo poo all around the country.

actually the amazon warehouse master computer calculates specific routes for the order pickers so they never see each other. its to prevent people for talking to each other obviously not safety

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Rutibex posted:

actually the amazon warehouse master computer calculates specific routes for the order pickers so they never see each other. its to prevent people for talking to each other obviously not safety

the amazon warehouses ive been called to, to do maintenance in, had people working in pretty close quarters.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

Just addressing your salary comment, my brother in law is dumber than a box of rocks and Amazon pays him significantly more than anyone in our area ever has. It's not a glamorous job, but he's happy he makes enough to support his family.

Not saying things shouldn't be different, that Bezos shouldn't be a trillionaire, that his working conditions shouldn't be better, but until those things happen, he can take care of his family right now, today. So he's cool with people ordering TP, dildos, whatever ftom Amazon. He'll get it off the shelf and put it in a box for you.

And no he can't quit his job due to the pandemic and live off the 1200 trump check.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

been thinkin about getting one of those amazon jobs since i got laid off, also seems unlikely anyone else will be hiring soon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

With the pandemic right now, almost nothing is using Amazon Prime shipping right now. I feel like Amazon should be giving members partial reimbursements right now even, but I don't want to be that "I want to talk to a manager." person right now. If I had my renewal coming up, I wouldn't do it right now.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Yeah, I guess to contribute something on topic - - I will probably not renew right now, but will renew again when 2 day shipping is once again reliable.

This pandemic is making courier services super popular here, and not just for groceries. I wonder if this trend will remain when this is over. This might be a good option for people who want the convenience of ordering online, but supporting local business instead of The Man©.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

central dogma posted:

Just addressing your salary comment, my brother in law is dumber than a box of rocks and Amazon pays him significantly more than anyone in our area ever has. It's not a glamorous job, but he's happy he makes enough to support his family.

Not saying things shouldn't be different, that Bezos shouldn't be a trillionaire, that his working conditions shouldn't be better, but until those things happen, he can take care of his family right now, today. So he's cool with people ordering TP, dildos, whatever ftom Amazon. He'll get it off the shelf and put it in a box for you.

And no he can't quit his job due to the pandemic and live off the 1200 trump check.

In first world countries with minimum wages that aren't 4 dollars a year plus tips, they aren't paying more than anyone else.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

no

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In the U.S., to account for cost of living, the real federal minimum wage should be more like $25 - $30 an hour.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

My Spirit Otter posted:

In first world countries with minimum wages that aren't 4 dollars a year plus tips, they aren't paying more than anyone else.

maybe they like America better, owned

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

maybe they like America better, owned

idk, after taxes and living expenses, im sure it's still comparatively less

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bioshuffle posted:

They only do this so they have enough staff so they can fire anybody that gets sick and keep operating. More meat for the grinders!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
gently caress Amazon if you need anything you should build it in your backyard/nearby swamp like that paleotech guy on YouTube hth

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I just applied to work at an amazon warehouse. I feel dirty as gently caress but I’m short on options since I was unemployed and looking then the virus hit.

:rip: to me I guess

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Amazon lets you put a few people on your Prime so I'd suggest just finding someone who already has it and convincing them to add you. It will cost them literally nothing.

I was on my ex-girlfriend's prime for like 3 years after we broke up, she just finally removed me and I learned that I can't be added to anyone else's prime for 6 months. :arghfist:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I think u should inconvenience yourself and cost yourself more money by idealistically raging against the Bezos machine

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

gently caress giving Bezos money.

:sever:

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thats an extremely bad price holy poo poo

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

if you do make sure you use your twitch prime subs otherwise you're leaving money in bezos' pockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
They deliver all my animal food and supplies every month. It's a huge convenience because otherwise I have to go to upwards of three different stores to get all the wet food, treats, etc that they all eat. I love prime.