Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Orion Burger is a 90's point-and-click adventure game developed by a company called Sanctuary Woods. Orion Burger is an interstellar fast-food company in need of new sources of protein and it's decided to choose Earth as it's new target. Environmental pressure has forced them to use only unintelligent sources so they now conduct tests on their subjects before making a decision to harvest them. Surely a major corporation wouldn't rig a test for their own benefits, right? This game centres around a man called Wilbur who gets select at random, but things don't exactly go quite to plan... This is a traditional point-and-click adventure which also features a time loop mechanic which hopefully won't be too irritating.

LP details

This is going to be a VLP and I will be recording commentary as I play the game. This is the first playing this game, I will try to make it play smoothly as I'm able too. I will update with one video each and every Sunday until completion.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Rushputin posted:

'Allo mate.

Just chiming in to say your post in the New LP Thread links to the wrong thread. :)

Thank you for letting me know, I've fixed it now.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Polsy posted:

Well, that was a lot of conversation unrelated to alien abduction, but I presume it's going to be relevant later for...getting toxic waste in our hair?

I wasn't expecting there to be so much dialogue, especially about hair wax. He was remarkably calm for someone who was abducted by aliens, strapped to a table and impending annihilation of the human race.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Wilbur pisses off Harry and then explores some more of Boonsville. Wilbur visits the town hall and speaks to the staff member... members... each department and then he goes home to visit Aunt Polly. There is a lot of dialogue in this video as we speak to numerous... characters, guess how many lines there are about aliens!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Wilbur explores the rest of Boonsville, gets abducted again and then gets distracted by a lovely gentleman. I was hoping to complete the first test but I wasn't expecting an interruption towards the end of the video, I wasn't expecting for the game to crash either!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The main problem I foresee with this game, especially without a walkthrough, is that the reset mechanic will start to tire after a while. It would be fine for me if the items remained in the inventory so you didn't have to spend time trying picking everything back up again. A constant reset every now and again really cuts into experimentation with puzzle-solving without a guide close-by. But on the other hand, having a walkthrough means that you can blow through the first test in about five minutes and ignore most of the game world entirely.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Wilbur manages to pass the first two tests with relative ease. I was expecting this recording to be messy but it went okay. It turns out that we only needed the hair wax to pass the first test, you're thrown into the second test immediately afterwards and that's where objects from Boonsville come into play. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the game introduces some time-saving mechanics when you reach certain milestones.

As for the voice acting in this game, they employed some very talented people: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234707/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Rob Paulsen who has already been mentioned (He played Yakko, not Wakko in Animaniacs) who has a plethora of acting credits under his name.

Jim Cummings who also has hundreds of acting credits to his name, voicing the Narrator and numerous other voices in Animaniacs are only a small handful.

Dee Bradley Baker, another voice actor who has been busy over the years, probably more well known these days for being Klaus on American Dad!

We hear Elizabeth Daily for the first time in this game, who has voiced Tommy Pickles, Buttercup and also dozens of more characters over the last two or three decades.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Quicksilver6 posted:

Are there no subtitles for this game? It's very beautiful otherwise.

There aren't any, unfortunately. I'll always enable them if they're available.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Wilbur continues onwards and completes the Sensory Perception Test. The recording segment of this game was very :bang: inducing. Even though I didn't hang around too much in the last recording, if you take too long reaching some puzzles you are locked out of completing them unless you reset the game world again.

I was :derp: for an hour trying to get Aunt Polly to move. Every time I spoke to her she just repeated a line and just stood there. I was looking through walkthroughs and watching videos but nothing was working. I was at the brink of giving up until I thought that there may be a state in the game where she hadn't done something in particular. So I reset the game world, raced straight over to her house and this time, it worked. But I had forgotten to move the barrier and by the time that I got there, Burl was already at the diner. I managed to get to the barrier and then to Aunt Polly's in time, but then the game crashed.

Later on, I reached a puzzle and the guide that I'm using has the wrong setup order. So I ended up slightly confused and then inadvertently reset the game world.

I was having issues with navigation in one area until I figured out the mechanics of it, I decided to re-record that area as the first attempt was taking far too long as I kept taking wrong turnings.

I'm enjoying this game but this section was a nightmare for a variety of reasons. :burger:

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 26, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Polsy posted:

Yeah, that whistle section definitely needed some work. I'm pretty sure it makes no difference where in the room you're standing so they should at least just have you auto-whistle every time you move.

It wasnt clear at all as some rooms where getting the same response no matter where you were standing. Some rooms did have a change in response with different doorways. It was a bit of a confusing mess. Mazes in adventure games are usually a pain in the arse.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Wilbur passes the fourth test by taking some extreme measures. We're almost at the end of the game now and our alien friends have taken some extreme measures themselves. I've just realised that I forgot to check out the gizmo that was in the inventory during the fourth test.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Wilbur passes the final test and confronts Zlarg. This is the finale of Orion Burger and I'm not going to spoil how things progress.

This is one game that I didn't have an opportunity to play when I was younger and I'm glad that it's happened now. I really didn't know what to make of it when it first started especially with the reset mechanic. But on the whole, the concept and story were pretty enjoyable. Playing this with a guide made the experience very pleasant, I can't imagine this being half as pleasant without a walkthrough.

I'm going to head back into familiar territory with the next game, Beneath A Steel Sky, which should hopefully start next Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

evilmiera posted:

An interesting game, though perhaps a bit uneven in places. Worth playing at least once, from the look of it.

I will probably come back to it again, on my own, at some point. I feel like there were a lot of things that could have been experimented with more. With a mix of a time limit, crashes and fail states, I tried to keep a steady pace with plot progression and puzzle-solving.

I managed to get the game working just fine with PCem with only a few tweaks to the standard setup. If you, or anyone else, decides that they want to give it a go just PM me if you want help getting it started. That goes for any of the previous games that I've LP'd too.

Edit: Beneath A Steel Sky may start earlier and may also be more than one video a week.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 10, 2020