Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
okay so let's say i do a search for something on google. bring up some results. if i hover over the link to a result i get the actual address:

but if i interact with it at all - even by right-clicking - it instantly transforms to a bullshit google forwarder dealie:

how does that work??

thanks and "god bless",

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

there's an onmousedown event

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's javascript modifying the link, op

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript is the worst thing to ever happen to computing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

no, that's your posting

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it is the worst plang. they didn’t even get the naming convention right

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Soricidus posted:

it is the worst plang. they didn’t even get the naming convention right

if they truly wanted to emulate trash, naming it after java was an inspired choice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
javascript is fine, it's the idea that documents you're viewing in your HTML document viewer are allowed and sometimes even encouraged to modify themselves suddenly and without warning.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
when you click on an HTML element (like, say, a link), it's possible for javascript to intercept that click, block the default behavior of whatever was clicked on (for example, going to the linked website when you click a link), and instead substitute whatever new behavior it loving wants

if you set some js to run when an element is clicked, that js will run before the normal behavior of that element is invoked, so you can do things like rewrite links the instant the user clicks on them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

OP: a wizard did it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

almost as bad as javascript "developers"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

please explain some web magic to me: where is the yostop

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
the browser, your "user agent", is lying to you OP

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
loser agent

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

web browsers becoming the Universal Application Container is the best possible example of Worse Is Better.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

an evil wizard, right?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

please explain some web magic to me: where is the yostop

check the yosmas thread, it got sent to someone for yosmas

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
im afraid you've been hijacked by a virus op. it's also making your posts bad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

an evil wizard, right?

on one hand, he destroys entire villages in flame, but on the other hand he overthrows kings from their gilded thrones, so it's impossible to say whether he's evil or not

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

or however the drill tweet goes

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

check the yosmas thread, it got sent to someone for yosmas
yeah I sent it lol. it must now be sned

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Shaggar posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

rotor posted:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

rotor posted:

web browsers becoming the Universal Application Container is the best possible example of Worse Is Better.

its bad but for security I think evolving up from a document viewer to an app platform is better then trying to shove java/flash/activex/silverlight in the browser and trying to sandbox it after the fact

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
web browsers are same as java/flash/activex/Silverlight and the sandbox was also added after the fact.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

javascript in browser is same as java/flash/activex/Silverlight in browser and the sandbox was also added after the fact.

there u go shags

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
those all have their own UI and aren't just editing the html dom so they're totally separate application platforms just like a browser, they just got surfaced within the browser.

javascript/eczemascript being the worst language of the bunch.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

eczemascript

hahaha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

those all have their own UI and aren't just editing the html dom

you could 100% gently caress around with the dom from all of those

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but that was never their primary purpose and was never encouraged.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Main Paineframe posted:

when you click on an HTML element (like, say, a link), it's possible for javascript to intercept that click, block the default behavior of whatever was clicked on (for example, going to the linked website when you click a link), and instead substitute whatever new behavior it loving wants

if you set some js to run when an element is clicked, that js will run before the normal behavior of that element is invoked, so you can do things like rewrite links the instant the user clicks on them

thank you. this was a good explanation. :)

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i wonder how many millions of words all the current web specs add up to

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

including the ones nobody cares about like MathML or the semantic web?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

animist posted:

less than a 80 meg react app that finds out which hogwarts house you belong to

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

rotor posted:

or however the drill tweet goes

the format is supposed to be bad thing compared to another bad thing but framed in a positive light. ideally the positive thing requires the reader to themselves make the connection to the original topic which then makes it bad, which is what makes it humorous. god bless i hope this post finds you in good health and spirit

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

animist posted:

good question!

https://drewdevault.com/2020/03/18/Reckless-limitless-scope.html posted:

The total word count of the W3C specification catalogue is 114 million words at the time of writing. If you added the combined word counts of the C11, C++17, UEFI, USB 3.2, and POSIX specifications, all 8,754 published RFCs, and the combined word counts of everything on Wikipedia’s list of longest novels, you would be 12 million words short of the W3C specifications.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if there's one thing I know it's that nerds will always know how many words are in a document

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
what else are we supposed to do with these big hadoop mapreduce clusters besides count words huh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

https://vimeo.com/95066828

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

vimeo doesn't just auto-parse??? loving radium