Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/what-is-the-next-major-content-after-rebellions.436522/page-10

Dev adding features directly from player feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh boy, hope they like fiddling with the melee mechanics back and forth.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ya that seems like a bad direction to head in. Player feedback directly into the devs brains. Gonna end great!

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
I hope they fix hitboxes sometime soon. I'm always getting hit even when a swing very clearly misses, or getting stabbed right through my shield.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

downout posted:

Ya that seems like a bad direction to head in. Player feedback directly into the devs brains. Gonna end great!

"So yeah I got some suggestions..."

"Go on."

"So like, there is too many NPC's with brown skin tones. Also, not enough Montenegro."

"This was a mistake."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

downout posted:

From that page all i'm readying is players saying "hey can you make the AI actually attack me in a siege" which seems fine, tbh

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the biggest issue is that they're gonna get feedback from people who live and breath this game so there's gonna be some good stuff but eventually it's gonna end up with a bunch of people shouting about how easy the game so the early game gets hosed up with 40 man bandit armies than no one actually new to the game will be able to deal with and is just tedious for everyone else

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Agean90 posted:

the biggest issue is that they're gonna get feedback from people who live and breath this game so there's gonna be some good stuff but eventually it's gonna end up with a bunch of people shouting about how easy the game so the early game gets hosed up with 40 man bandit armies than no one actually new to the game will be able to deal with and is just tedious for everyone else

Pretty much if they make it a crutch this will happen.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Feedback is helpful... I'm sure they are intelligent enough to tell good feedback from bad

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i just hope they prioritize making the AI good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

either in the official forums or this thread or the subreddit i read someone referring to the "decoy ladder" in sieges to refer to how troops always insist on using only one of the two ladders they brought to scale the wall and i keep remembering that and lol'ing

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Shear Modulus posted:

either in the official forums or this thread or the subreddit i read someone referring to the "decoy ladder" in sieges to refer to how troops always insist on using only one of the two ladders they brought to scale the wall and i keep remembering that and lol'ing

That's great. Like the giant crowd of soldiers milling around the base of the ladders while dudes ascend at 1-minute intervals. I like to think the guys on the ground are all saying "you first!" "No, you first, I pushed the ram!"

downout
Jul 6, 2009

dogstile posted:

From that page all i'm readying is players saying "hey can you make the AI actually attack me in a siege" which seems fine, tbh

It always seems better to have a more formal process to gather and consider player feedback. Rather than that thread's dev who appears to be just committing code changes based on short conversations from the forum posts.

Hey, I hope it works out.

Anyways, is our resident modder still around? I'm getting super tired of some of these mechanics and need my hand held with a nice easy mod. Or a developer with a sympathetic ear.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Having a bannerlord break after the allied AI has decided, for several battles in a row, that the correct response to the enemy having lots of archers is to stand all infantry in a big circle and hope the enemy reach their pre-set kill limit.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

ah, the french indochina strategy

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I tried to level up smithing and failed the main quest when one of the npcs I was supposed to talk to died of old age. Is there a function to import your guy into a new game like in warband? And what mod do I need to make smithing maybe go faster?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Smith javelins. Javelins are super valuable so you can very easily power level with them. I'm talking 30 or so skill points at once at early levels.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Smith javelins. Javelins are super valuable so you can very easily power level with them. I'm talking 30 or so skill points at once at early levels.

Note that you'll need to smith some stuff first to actually unlock some of the pieces you need to make javelins, which can be annoying.

e: If you get the pieces for it, rhompaia sell for absurd amounts of money too, and seem to increase skill more than javelins. And two-handed swords are definitely less efficient in terms of money-to-effort in terms of the pieces involved, but they seem to increase skill by more than javelins too. I feel like there's some skill increase based on the highest-quality steel maybe? Either way, anecdotally two-handed swords and rhompaia improved my skill by more, but javelins made more cash relative to the cost of materials.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 22, 2021

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

DreadLlama posted:

I tried to level up smithing and failed the main quest when one of the npcs I was supposed to talk to died of old age. Is there a function to import your guy into a new game like in warband? And what mod do I need to make smithing maybe go faster?

There was a “Character import/export” mod, no idea if it’s still being updated.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ravenfood posted:

Note that you'll need to smith some stuff first to actually unlock some of the pieces you need to make javelins, which can be annoying.

e: If you get the pieces for it, rhompaia sell for absurd amounts of money too, and seem to increase skill more than javelins. And two-handed swords are definitely less efficient in terms of money-to-effort in terms of the pieces involved, but they seem to increase skill by more than javelins too. I feel like there's some skill increase based on the highest-quality steel maybe? Either way, anecdotally two-handed swords and rhompaia improved my skill by more, but javelins made more cash relative to the cost of materials.

Conversely, I've never made money or gotten a ton of skill-ups making axes or one-handed swords. The whole system seems wonky. And if you don't randomly get 2h sword/javelin unlocks then it can be a slog to upgrade the skill.

I've never made it to a high enough skill level, but do those negative crafting bonuses on items ever go away or become less prevalent?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yes they do go away if you skill up past the reqs.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DreadLlama posted:

I failed the main quest when one of the npcs I was supposed to talk to died of old age.

new thread title imo

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
iirc the way that I would get the most unlocks is making the biggest, most difficult items possible.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah you get more smithing experience the higher the difficulty and/or the value of the item. there's no reason to not just smith the highest-difficulty items to get a ton of experience and part unlocks since i'm pet sure the soothing energy cost is the same for every item. the only real constraint is the raw materials.

high-difficulty items when you have low smithing skill will be crap and have lots of stat penalties but it doesn't really matter if you're just making them to grind experience. there's no like risk of failing to smith it or not learning anything from trying something too hard

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
The most important thing that determines the experience and value of a smithed item is its first damage value. That's why javelins are so valuable even though they're cheap. Most swords and so on aren't worth much because the thrust damage is much lower than the slash damage, and it's first. So if you can't smith javelins, smith any two handed sword/axe that you can make that cannot thrust, so that the higher slashing damage is first.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

TastyAvocado posted:

The most important thing that determines the experience and value of a smithed item is its first damage value. That's why javelins are so valuable even though they're cheap. Most swords and so on aren't worth much because the thrust damage is much lower than the slash damage, and it's first. So if you can't smith javelins, smith any two handed sword/axe that you can make that cannot thrust, so that the higher slashing damage is first.

What, really? That's insane.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
is there a console command or mod to just... give me all the smithing recipes? even with another mod to let me smith and smelt nonstop, it's super tedious

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

drkeiscool posted:

is there a console command or mod to just... give me all the smithing recipes? even with another mod to let me smith and smelt nonstop, it's super tedious

got it, actually. if you use the console, the command is crafting.unlock_all_parts

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

drkeiscool posted:

got it, actually. if you use the console, the command is crafting.unlock_all_parts

Check and make sure that actually works because last time I tried it it didn't do anything.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

What, really? That's insane.

big polearms with heads that can't thrust like the warrazor head are worth way more than those with say a top-tier menlavion (or however you spell it) head even if the latter has higher slashing damage

the slashing damage numbers for big choppy polearms are mostly academic though since they one-hit everything

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Shear Modulus posted:

big polearms with heads that can't thrust like the warrazor head are worth way more than those with say a top-tier menlavion (or however you spell it) head even if the latter has higher slashing damage

the slashing damage numbers for big choppy polearms are mostly academic though since they one-hit everything

Yikes. At least that's a change that should be fairly easy to mod (mountnblade.txt)

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

There is a perk in the bow tree that reduces accuracy loss while rotating - is this literally rotating your body? It doesn't seem like there is significant loss to start with and the 25% reload speed is objectively better?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TescoBag posted:

There is a perk in the bow tree that reduces accuracy loss while rotating - is this literally rotating your body? It doesn't seem like there is significant loss to start with and the 25% reload speed is objectively better?

Yes, it reduces the bloom you get while moving your reticle around. And yes, reload speed is better for you, but IIRC the campaign benefit for your troops is better on the other perk. I took the reload one too.

E: I think they could simplify siege maps if they made them more historically accurate. Mobile siege towers seemed to be rare and instead of being used to roll protected ladders/ramps up to walls, to instead give archers a protected place to shoot from that is higher than the enemy walls. Siege engines probably didn't bring down walls, but instead de-crenellated the walls so you could clear them with your archers. If you wanted to breach them, you tunneled underneath them and collapse the tunnels (I think). But lastly, the way to get over the walls was to build earthen ramps up to them and swarm over them that way. And mostly, I think the pathing for that would be much much better than with the mobile siege towers we have now.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 23, 2021

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

drkeiscool posted:

If you do this though make sure you save, exit the game, and reload, otherwise you're strapped in for 2 or so hours of 'Unlocked Gold-Plated Hilt' or something.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

And yes, reload speed is better for you, but IIRC the campaign benefit for your troops is better on the other perk.

Captain bonuses don't seem to apply to party leaders (lol)

https://www.bannerlordperks.com/log;id=1609609500

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Captain bonuses don't seem to apply to party leaders (lol)

https://www.bannerlordperks.com/log;id=1609609500

Wait, what? gently caress. And unless I've missed it, it seems like it's impossible to assign your companions to captain slots since you're directly commanding them. Well poo poo. I've never been able to assign captains, at least, even when commanding multiple parties.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Ravenfood posted:

Check and make sure that actually works because last time I tried it it didn't do anything.

it worked for me, although i also cheated and set my smithing level to 200 so maybe that had an impact?

Sky Shadowing posted:

If you do this though make sure you save, exit the game, and reload, otherwise you're strapped in for 2 or so hours of 'Unlocked Gold-Plated Hilt' or something.

oh yeah, i made very sure to save after that. i did it once before back near when the game came out and it crashed right after all the upgrade unlock notifications ended, that was fun

i have mixed feelings about bannerlord (or maybe mount and blade as a whole). i totally understand the appeal it has because it mixes together things like battlefield strategy, melee and archery combat, building a kingdom from nothing and managing it, politics, and economics, but i feel like it doesn't do any of them particularly well, just... serviceably passable. it really makes me yearn for a medieval Sid Meier's Pirates, if that makes sense. it definitely scratches an itch though, so despite my whining i'll probably play for 30 more hours, heh

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Having companion death without the ability to do are your companions from sieges is real dumb.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

drkeiscool posted:

it worked for me, although i also cheated and set my smithing level to 200 so maybe that had an impact?

oh yeah, i made very sure to save after that. i did it once before back near when the game came out and it crashed right after all the upgrade unlock notifications ended, that was fun

i have mixed feelings about bannerlord (or maybe mount and blade as a whole). i totally understand the appeal it has because it mixes together things like battlefield strategy, melee and archery combat, building a kingdom from nothing and managing it, politics, and economics, but i feel like it doesn't do any of them particularly well, just... serviceably passable. it really makes me yearn for a medieval Sid Meier's Pirates, if that makes sense. it definitely scratches an itch though, so despite my whining i'll probably play for 30 more hours, heh

I think I felt this way more ~6 months ago, but that last few patches have really cleaned up a lot of the parts I found most annoying. There might be some games that do the kingdom building, politics, and economics better, but I'm really like the strategy and combat. Maybe I need to see more games tho. Either way, it feels like $40 well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I played at release and loved this game but it was very much still unfinished. Is it worth playing again, or is there an update on the horizon I should wait for?