Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

tylertfb posted:

that's just realistic.

Sometimes rare things are just bad :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

The 1.5.7 seems to have a bit of stat rework. I don't remember sturgian tier 6 bowman having 180 bow skill, or imperial crossbowman having 180 crossbow skill. Or am I misremembering?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/lcen6i/bannerlord_early_access_mainline_157_beta_branch/

1.5.7 has gone into the main branch. New 1.5.8 beta

Added a 'Lock Item' button to smelting items in the Smithy along with a warning if the player tries to smelt a locked weapon.
That's useful

Added Pillaging: Players and AI can now choose to 'Devastate', 'Pillage' or 'Show Mercy' to settlements that have been successfully sieged.

'Devastate' and 'Pillage' can damage the prosperity and projects of a settlement, as well as, diminish the power of notables in towns. Naturally, the previous settlement owner won’t be too happy about the destruction of their former home. However, the participants of the siege will see their coffers and party morale rise. Still, lords and ladies may or may not approve of the action depending on their traits.

'Show Mercy' allows the winners to take over the settlement without causing too much harm to it or its inhabitants. While this is expected for settlements of one’s own faction culture, showing mercy to foreign settlements with cause unrest among the troops. Just as with the other choices, some nobles will approve or disapprove of the action.

I like this, but it just reminds me there's no option to try and change the culture of a captured town

Added all of the remaining combat-related engineering perks (10 in total).

Fixed various perk problems with Athletics, Riding, Throwing, Polearm and One-Handed skill trees.

They really need to get all the perks ironed out. This is good.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

I like this, but it just reminds me there's no option to try and change the culture of a captured town

plz no ethnic cleansing in my feast planner game

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Releasing the stuck post. Also, new beta! :toot:

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Enjoy posted:

Battanians need not apply.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Enjoy posted:

What do you think we're feasting on?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Glass of Milk posted:

Battanians need not apply.

tryandstopusbagpipesandtartan.jpeg

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

SeanBeansShako posted:

tryandstopusbagpipesandtartan.jpeg

*Laughs in butter*

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Glass of Milk posted:

*Laughs in butter*

drat you, Harlaus

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Reinstalling right now, it's time to see what's changed

I assume it's still a good idea to be a Vlandian using bows and polearms

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
This game is pretty cool, I like riding around on my horse in the big battles lancing people. The big battles do a great job of just being insanely hectic but also you feel useful sort of. It's a shame that sometimes you have situations where the reinforcements spawn on top of their enemies, but whatever.

I played back in April when it came out and liked it then, and though I don't really remember any problems that I had with it, I haven't had many after like 20 hours of playing recently. I also haven't crashed once, which is super neat.

A pitfall I ran into on my first recent play was that if you upgrade all your dudes as soon as they level up, you will run out of money super fast. Also companions are expensive. I figured out how to make a good amount of money by trading goods between cities. Does anybody have any good strategies for early-mid game gold? Like should I actually level up smithing?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

SHISHKABOB posted:

Like should I actually level up smithing?

yes

make javelins or 2h swords and you will soon have infinite money

some itt argue javelins are better since they're cheaper to make but imo that makes a difference for like 5 minutes before you hit the infinite money stage and the price of materials is no longer an issue. it does save on a lot of clicking though i'll concede that. 2handers level smithing faster so i use those. also i actually hit the infinite money stage before i even unlocked any of the javelin shafts anway but some people just use a console command to unlock all the parts. i like unlocking stuff so i don't

max blade length and use the highest difficulty parts you can irrespective of your actual smithing skill and you will power level smithing and very soon be able to trade a single sword for all of a town's money plus everything you want from their inventory. never take the perk that makes your ore smelting more efficient, always take the charcoal one instead, on everyone

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 12, 2021

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yep, perfectly balanced. The new smithing part is still flashing like a minute later.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rampant inflation clearly killed the old Calradian Empire.

That and nobody had anything to eat but sword.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I like the idea that all the residents of a town would pool all their money to buy a single sword, and then when the guy leaves they sit around looking at it for an hour before getting bored

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

there used to be a logical conclusion to sword and javelin tulip mania where very quickly every town's inventory would be cluttered with exceedingly expensive swords and javelins and it would be impossible to win anything but Crafted Two Handed Sword in tournaments, but the patch notes seem to suggest they thought this was a bug and fixed it instead of it being a depiction of capitalism reorienting itself to excessively overproduce useless speculative baubles like bitcoins or tulips

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 12, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Let's make a realistic, detailed simulation of an early medieval economy! Only without water transport, and every single day is harvesting season.
Why isn't this working!?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Let's make a realistic, detailed simulation of an early medieval economy! Only without water transport, and every single day is harvesting season.
Why isn't this working!?

can see you've never played the game otherwise you'd know that it's never harvesting season. harvesting season is an asymptotic event that is always almost there but never actually reached

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's a miracle they harvest anything at all as for centuries young men and women will be approached by a dink on horse back offering gold to band up for some war.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's almost [loot] harvesting season

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
We only harvest butter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

That and nobody had anything to eat but sword.

foodsmithing update when

$20000 loaf of legendary extra large extra long bread with an oak haft.

desperately buying all of the butter to turn it into throwing cakes.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

OwlFancier posted:

foodsmithing update when

$20000 loaf of legendary extra large extra long bread with an oak haft.

desperately buying all of the butter to turn it into throwing cakes.

an army DOES march on its belly, after all.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Muscle Tracer posted:

honestly it would be sick if they implemented a parenting skill tree

Okay, but it's it CK-eugenics, or FE-eugenics?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Polyseme posted:

Okay, but it's it CK-eugenics, or FE-eugenics?

i don't know what either of these things are but i was thinking something along the lines of "disciplinarian or lasseiz-faire? hire tutor or hire sword instructor?"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was wondering why I couldn't find any sweet plate armor in the game but then I finally realized that it's the early medieval era. Which should have been patently obvious but...

I know the game updates a lot and is in early access, but does anybody have any good mods that they like to use? I'm watching this guy's youtube LP and hes got some nice mods that do stuff like auto upgrade all units, and one that lets you click a button to upgrade gear on a character.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Why isn't this working!?

I will never stop banging on about this: I have zero interest in any sort of economic simulation aspect to this game. It's called Mount & Blade, not Money & Barter. Assign an arbitrary price to everything and let me sell loot to buy armour and weapons. This has been good enough for videogames for my entire life, why change it?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Simplifying the economy massively and making wars/politics more interesting would be sweet. Feels like they go way too hard on weird poo poo you don't even notice when the good poo poo gets neglected.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'd like water transports for getting around the NotMediterranean though. Its a pain to go down there.

I don't want to maintain boats or anything, just make a ferry you can pay for in the port towns or something.

You could also use that to turn that vaguely mirrored/rotated-Cyprus looking island into a territory.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 14, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What's the thing to have your workshops produce right now? Breweries still a safe bet? I want to know what the One Weird Trick is on the current patch

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

What's the thing to have your workshops produce right now? Breweries still a safe bet? I want to know what the One Weird Trick is on the current patch

Tanneries seem pretty great

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, tanneries seem pretty decent. My silversmith in Orytsia (sp?) is doing well, too, presumably because there's a silver-producing village there.

Is there a reliable way to improve your relationship with relatives/companions? Mostly for RP reasons, I assume it still doesn't really matter

e: btw I've been conquering Aserai territory and basically every single village quest around Quyaz is about them needing tools. It's a bit strange but rather convenient as long as you remember to stockpile tools

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 18, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phlegmish posted:

e: btw I've been conquering Aserai territory and basically every single village quest around Quyaz is about them needing tools. It's a bit strange but rather convenient as long as you remember to stockpile tools

I've noticed the same thing with one village always having Extortion by Deserters.
Perhaps it's the same group swiping Quyazi tools and then heading north to beat up Empire peasants, every few weeks.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I assume quests are generated based on criteria so if a quest comes up once it's likely going to come up again if the conditions are true

Or maybe it is purely random :shrug:

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Playing on 157, and all the surgeon NPCs disappeared. There's loads of engineers though. What's the system for them, some kind of randomly replenished recruiting pool?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is just executing every single noble of the kingdoms at war with me a valid strategy, or will my kingdom like hate me for it so much that they revolt at some point?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is just executing every single noble of the kingdoms at war with me a valid strategy, or will my kingdom like hate me for it so much that they revolt at some point?

they always come back (or they did) and you get a lot of negative modifiers to relations, but I used it once to get out of a situation where I literally could not kill their armies fast enough. So I just started executing lords which gave me lots of breathing room

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The only downside is that you get big relationship penalties with every noble, not just the ones who are allies or friends with the one you execute. Having bad relations with nobles makes it harder to convince them to join your kingdom, they won't back you in kingdom votes, and I think if you're the ruler they might defect more often. I think at some point they were implementing having nobles' relationship with you affect their raiding and defending decisions (enemy nobles that hate you will raid your villages and caravans more often, if they're your friend theyll do it less, and ally nobles will defend your villages from raids more if they like you) but I don't remember if this is implemented yet, or possibly this is from a mod.

I think I've read that if you start executing nobles then if another noble takes you prisoner they might execute you as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Is the whole noble relations part of the game still as messed up as it was a while ago? Last I played literally only way to raise your relations with any relative speed was to release captured nobles and fight years of wars to make them your friend.

Its dumb because most Negative modifiers are huge and (especoally executions) affect EVERY noble on the other side whereas Any positive change seemed miniscule and only affected that singular noble.