Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hey here's a pro-tip don't get into a fight with the Aserai sub-faction that hates them, the B-somethings. Just like 50 heavily armored horse archers, who almost exclusively fight in wide open desert terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Crashing to desktop right after leaving a conversation where I work out a peace agreement, so that's fun

Peace was never an option.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

It means "buy hardwood, melt items for metal, sell metal for way more than the items were worth."

Which is true.

another cool thing with smithing: click your dude's portrait in the bottom right to swap out to a companion, who also have their own separate smithing staminas.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Battanians sting less because they are 100% worth it and probably the best single unit in a vacuum in the entire game

I kind of hate the Aserai tree since your ranger line isn't automatically allocated to your archers unit until you've upgraded them a few times because they're jav skrimishers

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, the Aserai jav guys whip rear end, but it's just annoying that they're not put into a separate category from your dedicated melee line unless you go in and do it yourself... which is a problem right now, since the game doesn't remember custom unit assignments between saves lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you sure you didn't accidentally/panic hit F5, the quicksave button that for some reason overwrites your regular save instead of making a new save

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's a two-handed blunt weapon or two in the multiplayer loadouts that aren't the mallet heads, but those parts aren't available in singleplayer. I think specifically one of the battanian classes get one. I wonder if they missed some parts when they re-added a bunch of equipment.

Also mods are already starting to add some ridiculous luxury features I didn't think possible at this stage, such as [url=https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/391dynamically growing beards[/url] and dismemberment.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 11, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

not entirely though, they were convinced that it was funny that all the top tier units were still Burgerlords so most of the high end troops are still loving gigantic

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Obviously what you need is a dynamic chonk slider that changes based on your food morale bonus.

Hell yes lad you're full of fish and butter and dates aren't you you great big tubby pike fucker that you are.

Once they properly re-introduce body sliders I can guarantee you there'll be a mod for this. There's already one for dynamic beard growth.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oof, looks like you're gonna have to swap back and forth between the beta and mainline patches if you want to go back and forth between multiplayer and singleplayer. I really hope I don't have to do this full download every time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah TDM owns, last time I played it me and a buddy managed to organize a bunch of people to form a shield wall in an alley and every time someone would run up to it a bunch of us with spears would stab out over the wall. It was funny as hell when the heavy cav would charge through and send several of us flying at once lol

Multiplayer's just dead on the beta, I'm imagining most of the population doesn't even know it exists, is the problem

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Night10194 posted:

The fact that a ton of the perks just don't work is pretty annoying. I was pretty excited by 'use any bow while on horseback', but no.

this but "set up army before battle"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

OGS-Remix posted:

The easiest tournaments seem to be Aserai while the hardest are Battanians.

I wouldn't say they're the hardest but Sturgian tournaments are the worst feeling because they love to put you in 1v1 shield+spear duels lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

bannerlord multiplayer is only up for courtesy reasons is my theory on why there hasn't been much done with it like chat filters and community/private game hosting and servers that don't crash before the end of the game 60% of the time lol. Multiplayer was the first thing they ever semi-publicly tested so it still works and they left it up for people to get their MP fix but it is absolutely not something they give a poo poo about right now since the main focus of the game, the singleplayer, is out in everyone's hands and still has major issues and features poo poo that need to be taken care of with higher priority. I'd like some kind of automoderation but I'm not going to fault them for not focusing on getting one implemented when they've clearly been spending all of their effort of daily patches and adjustments for two weeks straight now.

Mordhau's not a great comparison imo because while it does have those basic chat features like filters and kick info, it took them months to put that poo poo in the game lol

Pyrus Malus posted:

wait did they make fat soldiers less common or remove them outright because if it's the latter how do you even have a bug that causes fat soldiers to spawn in the first place if they're not somewhat intended?

less common, and Beeflords are more common the higher up in the tier tree. You get big boys more often than not with the elite cavalry and infantry units it feels like. I hope they reintroduce the body sliders to Native at some point in the near future, they totally work on players as mods have proven.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The character creator has stuff like fat and build sliders but they're missing at the moment for whatever reason. Mods add them back in.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

did you verify your cache

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Performance

-VRAM usage was reduced by solving some memory leaks in the UI.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Are you running the Bannerlord Tweaks mod? The Beta changes how the XP multipler works a lot, and it's incompatible with the Tweaks Mod's formula. You can go into the mod's menu and disable character/hero experience modifier though or whatever it's called.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao careful with the new beta patch, there’s some issue possibly tied to the caravan changes that is causing the economy to collapse. Towns are hemorrhaging money and in a matter of days your entire Calradia will be broke lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

fifty thousand people used to live here...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's already a mod that does that too.

Once the actual for real modding SDKs come out this poo poo is going to get lit

e: i was wrong it's a template mod that you can edit to make your own troops and implement yourself, there's no actual mod for in-game unit editing. But I can't imagine we won't see one soon.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 19, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I play Sturgia every time because I love some got-dang vikings but these boys are real fuckin' bad.

We have the worst bowman in the game. Highest tier has the weakest arrows (barbed) and leather armor. Our only missile cavalry unit uses throwing weapons lol

Ulfhednar is not only garbage, but it's actually worse than the previous tier unit, the berserker. You trade armor and 2h skill for some poo poo throwing weapons, hell yeah dude. They run a tiny bit faster but armor is more important imo

As for line infantry, The Veteran Warrior is actually good as hell even compared to similar faction's elite foot units; good rear end armor, good rear end shield, some javs to soften nerds up. But the Shock Trooper (the tier 5 alternative) is a waste of time. Trades important stats, a tier of armor and a tier of throwing weapons for an upgraded spear, the worst weapon type in the game.

As a trade-off to the awesome Veteran Warrior, the Spearman that comes right before them at t4 is garbage. Leather armor in a front-line infantry unit lmao, also their shield is tiny, and actually worse than both the t5 shield and the t3 shield that precedes them. Not too long ago someone simulated an even-number battle between sturgian spearmen and sturgian bowmen who were ordered not to fire their bows and the spearmen lost lmao

And, finally, the Sturgian Noble Line is garbage and has no place in the roster imo. Ignoring the fact that it's a throwing weapon missile cavalry (lol) in the Elite Footman Faction, it only actually becomes mounted in its final tier, so you've got what looks like it's becoming a pretty good alternative to the Veteran and then BAM, you're stuck with a heavy cav that is not mentioned in a single piece of dialogue or text in the entirety of Sturgian lore, and doesn't mesh at all with faction's play style. A heavy cav that has 220 bow skill but doesn't use a bow, but does have 60 polearm skill and uses a spear lol

basically sturgia needs more armor across the board (their infantry doesn't move out of leather until t5)and the cav at the end of the noble tree needs to be some kind of walking tank huscarl or something. Also more paths to get into and out of their own lands, or boats or something. thank you for coming to my TED talk

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 20, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the game will see how many footmen you have, how many horses you have in your inventory, and work it out from there. You just have to have horses in your inventory.

Increasing speed is: getting more cavalry, raising morale, buying perks that specifically increase map movement speed. At the beginning of the game you're probably going to want to go win a few tournaments and load up on horses for speed.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The executioner's axe is also good because it's one of the few weapons at the moment that actually cleaves and hits more than one enemy per swing (outside of that perk that doesn't work, and that mod that gives it to everything (including swinging through your own guys which is too OP imo)

That's the source of its current popularity in my opinion, other than its super high damage of course.

Kestral posted:

Strongly recommend a cavalry-oriented character to start off. M&B's melee combat is surprisingly deep and satisfying to master, but there's a lot going on in any given fight and it's much easier to learn the game from horseback.

Also M&B does horse-based combat and general horse-related shenanigans better than any other game I've ever played.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It doesn't seem to take into account horse quality, yeah, just whether or not it's a pack animal. It's good to have a few pack animals since they give you more of an inventory cap bonus, and weighing less makes you move faster I think. Or at least helps you stay under so you don't get a penalty.

If you have too many animals you get what's called a "herd penalty" but it's not very bad, and you have to have A LOT of animals.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mad and blade

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you think that's bad wait until they do another multiplayer patch

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Depending on when you did your last run, they've been doing a lot of economy tweaks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shogun 2 is still the best Total War, and Fall of the Samurai is the best way to play Shogun 2, don't @ me

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah get yourself some mods to fix perks now, because while they may be overhauling the perk system, from all appearances it looks like they're doing it once skill at a time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it definitely is, they're starting with that one. The undocumented additional effects of the 1h perks are actually alluded to in the 1.4.1 beta patch notes but they didn't say anything more than "they exist" lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah if you sign up for beta 1.4.1 you can now found your own kingdom if you own at least one property and you're a level 4 clan. You can also set your own kingdom's policies and you start with a bunch

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 18, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

I believe that troops are limited to 4 slots, just like any character. So technically you could carry a mace, a bow, a lance, and a shield, but then you'd have no arrows :v:

Some kind of system like an extra horse equipment slot would be pretty dope. Put like a one-time use lance on it that you can pull out when you're riding, or some extra arrows or throwing weapons.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That huge lake area wouldn't be a problem (and might even be a boon) if they had some boats at could cross it, maybe as a culture bonus or whatever, but since we don't have that, it only serves to box them in and makes holding territory outside of it a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it's great. Prepare for some jank but that's the nature of not only Mount and Blade, but Early Beta Mount and Blade

There's already some pretty good mods too

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

make like a true child of rome and destroy it from the inside

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

downout posted:

What was the target completion date? Full release date?

time is subjective

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

modding tools!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-pfJwoU7k

IT BEGINS

that formation AI is nice

SPEAR BRACING! DISMOUNTS!

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 14, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

one of sturgia's big problems is that huge loving lake + river corridor that runs through their lands which creates a choke point against themselves. Theoretically they'd have like boats or something and those rivers and lakes would be a bonus instead of a penalty, but they don't and they get boxed in super easily because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I'm having the most fun when I'm setting up and giving out orders before diving in with my melee troops and whomping some rear end, only to fall back every once in a while to re-assess the situation and give new orders before going back in.