Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sadly, you cannot name your family Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogeruchwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just did a family feud quest. They attacked me at the negotiation, I killed the guards and my ward is safe and still considered my companion, and the guy who attacked me immediately asked me to solve a problem for him. No sign that the quest is resolved, though. Do i need to wait out the timer?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I did a "X wants his daughter found" quest and didn't convince her to come home, so I had to murder her boyfriend. She said she'd hate me forever. I took her home to her father, he paid me, and then I noticed that I could talk to her. And when I did, I noticed I could hire her. So I did, for just a little more than her father paid for her return in the first place.

That's certainly one way to punish me for killing your boyfriend.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I have unlocked the option to make additional parties. What does that exactly do for me? I know they patched the free troops, so what is it meant for?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

parties just kinda go off and do their own thing unless you start an army.

the upside is they'll often build up their own strength, the downside is more often they'll get ganked by wandering enemies.

Should I give them a stable of guys to back them up? Are they self sustaining if I'm not leading an army?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I started up M&B only to be back to it crashing at launch again. I noticed that when I looked at the mods section it had rearranged all the TW modules at the top? Not sure if that has something to do with it, but even with all my modules disabled it just crashes. I do have it set to run as Administrator and I'm pretty sure I unblocked the .dlls, so unless those changed, I am not sure what happened.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Night10194 posted:

The fact that a ton of the perks just don't work is pretty annoying. I was pretty excited by 'use any bow while on horseback', but no.

And then you have perks that work too well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7OCnIocI0

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I was able to get the game to the point where I could load into the map, but as soon as I clicked to move anywhere, it crashed. Progress?

I didn't really do much to get to that point. I verified the file integrity a second time and moved all the non-base modules out of the module folder. I can only assume one of the mods I've put in the module folder is crashing the game on the map screen simply by existing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I can get the game to launch and load a save but as soon as I actually move more than a few feet, it crashes. Hoping this patch addresses this somehow because what the hell.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So, erm. I managed to get the game to play, and someone said smithing was a great way to get rich, so I went to the smithy with all the hardwood I could find and, um...

It just sort of...happened.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I am! Interesting to know.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Or click the drop down menu and pick deliberately instead of scrolling through the options.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I signed on with the Battanians and have been pretty successful, but I've noticed a frustrating thing--I am frequently not notified in a way that I can actually notice when I have been given a castle or city. I frequently won't be aware that I have a settlement until I receive a notification that it is under attack.

Sunday I logged off the proud owner of two castles, both from opposite ends of the Western Empire. When I signed on Monday, I walked out of my easternmost castle to discover I had been given a city and a third castle in the Northern Empire.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The first couple of times I didn't recognize a prompt. The log would say "such and such has been conquered; a vote will be held" and then things would just roll along without incident and then i'd notice in the log that one of my territories (when I previously had none) were under attack. If I participate in a conquering, there's a prompt, but if I don't, it doesn't seem to pop.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I noticed for the first time that when I'm in charge of a siege I can click the spots on the map to add things like trebuchets. My problem is they don't seem to be very good? I built one of each right after another, and before the next one was built the one before it would be destroyed by defenders. I then tried a siege tower but it seemed to actually bottle neck my soldiers worse than just nothing at all. What am I doing wrong?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The Western empire was reduced to a single castle in our previous war. They tend declared war on us again, hoping to maybe take something back. I rolled up with over 500 men and found that every party they had was rolling out to stomp a caravan. A bit excessive. Then they turned on me.

The list of combatants for their side left the screen. When I won, it took minutes to take all of them prisoner on at a time. Ended up with 23 named heroes and 480 nameless goons. Thankfully the Southern Empire was only a skip away so it wasn't too hard to unload them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

Good patch but I'm growing increasingly annoyed at discovering perks don't function. Is is that much to ask for them to identify the ones that don't work so players won't grind for them only to realize it's not broken?

A lot of the perks don't seem to be very powerful for how long it takes to unlock them. That many of them outright don't work anyway is just icing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

The descriptions are hilarious, a lot of the pêrks are just shoddily coded

e: a lot of the problems appear to be due to basic math errors, amazing

I love that the faster raiding perk actually makes raiding just the tiniest bit slower.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lol now one of the tier four talents for one-handed is +2 HP.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

I experience a small amount of shame every time Steam shows me how much time I've spent on this game. Like, not enough shame to actually stop playing, but it is there.

Shame means nothing to me. Bring it on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is there a mod that adds a scroll bar for when you are choosing someone to be in charge of a town or castle, because if you have too many companions it goes off screen and you can only pick people at the "top" of the list.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

You must be new to Mount & Blade

Yeah, when they announced this game, I only had two kids. My third child is 7 now. He may be in high school by the time this is "done."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Use the exploit to go to war with nobles, immediately back out of battle and sue for peace and ask them to give you 5 to 15k denars, repeat and then use the money to buy out entire cities. Everyone loves you!