Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
thanks to steppe horse archer goon from a few pages ago, I've been running a big ol' possy of them and its been super fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
i'm sorry, but what's couching?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
as a steppe horse archer playthrough def don't auto resolve anything besides looters

even when its 1 idiot hill tribe guy or something, the chance to take casualties seems fixed without regard to your units/tactics/whatever

me on my horseback while the AI horse archers do the work

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Had a few quick questions to fellow steppe goons- I'm doing a steppe cav archer playthrough for my first campaign

1- I finally got around to starting my clan. Does it make sense to start making multiple stacks of units, or just keep things simple and keep everyone in one giant marauding horde? Managing multiple stacks seems like a lot more macro

2- Some of the factions have started snowballing- should I get involved and stop the snowballs? Does it matter? I'm trying to understand if its better to support one of the major factions or to try eking out my own empire in the chaos. Having a home base for added income seems cool, but I assume once you start seriously raiding there will be an army that eventually visits (so you need to stack up to defend it, kinda defeating the steppe horde tied to no home)

3- How do companions level their skills if there are multiple companions in your party? Does everyone share the same exp or does it get divided? My main character has become pretty beastly and I noticed some of the weaker companions in certain roles are worse than having no companions at all. If you have one stack only do you need these other companions?

Sorry for all the questions, been hooked as hell on this game for the last few days

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Deez Stonez

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Anyone had success with creating your own kingdom with the banner? It sounds interesting, but I’m worried it’s not fleshed out yet.

I'm putting the banner pieces together right now. Gonna give this a try.

I'm up to about 100 horse archers now. More than half of them are late tier so I need more income to let me roam around instead of chasing down random bandits

Der Waffle Mous posted:

loving around with the faster experience mod (5x feels about right, some skills are still a nightmare, like scout) got me to realize that the green bar is just where your experience multiplier runs out and you'll still get skill points.

Wow that's really dumb. I totally read it as "you can't get skills past the green bar"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Golden horde update- after khuz horse archers break that tier 3 to tier 4 barrier (getting a war horse) they become really resilient. Before then I had the most challenge going up against other horse mounted armies, but now its no problem. I did a world tour and found the easiest army comp to take down were the Aserai. Any army without horses is also very much dead.

KittyEmpress posted:

An entire army of the noble son horse archer tree is pretty absurd in field battles. 62 of them, most at third or 4th tier with a handful of 5th and 6th, just wiped out a 232 enemy army with only 2 deaths and 6 woundings.

I was expecting to lose a majority of my army as I'd just dropped off my 45 infantry in my new castle for temporary garrison duty.

I love my horde. Running around the map picking fights and running away from the ones you can't is fun as hell. I'm boned doing sieges, but whatever, I don't care dawg

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I haven't tried this yet, but my idea for dealing with big stacks: attack them until arrows run out, then withdraw off the map. Rinse and repeat.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Motherfucker posted:

Ok I'm hitting my roof on the poo poo I can do just going around rescuing battanian daughters and fighting looters. How do I start makin' big dosh? Real big boy dosh? I set up a trade caravan and it seems to do loving nothing because I assigned a fighter instead of a trader like a goddamn imbecile thinking it was a matter of protection and not leadership.

Also, relatedly: Battanians have the highest concentrations of 'find my daughter' missions that will put at least 1k in your pocket and often spin out to two. Its all family feuds and kidnapped daughters in the battanian heartlands I wonder of those two things are related.

I've found grinding on bandits near remote bandit camps is faster and easier than quests. When I'm full of prisoners I head back to the nearest large city, usually getting get 3-6K in loot and about 500-1k for the ransoms. Then I do it again.

Local politics? My tyrant doesn't give a poo poo. Raid erryday

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Motherfucker posted:

I've had a few successful runs at this but being honest I'm not getting the numbers of bandits I would need to feed my one hundred high end horsemens. I'm barely breaking even, I need RICHER killing fields.

Yeah, I'm basically in the same position. Remote bandit camps are working, but it just gets me to go from one part of the map to another. Need some steady income to sustain my massive elite army.

Battania is kicking the poo poo of the empire right now, so I'm worried they're going to beat the game before I even start fighting factions

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh my god no one in all of Khuzait will marry me. Even dudes I lured over from other factions won't. I mess up a SINGLE dialogue and these dudes's dicks turn inside out. I have 40 charm as well.

instead, you must conquer them all, subjugate their families

such is the Khuzait way

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
does a shield on your back protect you from arrows from the back?

Gobblecoque posted:

I think I am gonna roll a new campaign now that the other companion types are in and I guess I should probably do things differently but man it's hard to get away from that Khuzait lifestyle. I guess if I go imperial then I can still indulge in a little horse archer, as a treat.

Also, now that I know the game better it feels like the Khuzaits have the best culture bonus by a mile. I guess the Vlandians faster troop upgrade might be nice but the others seem pretty situational at best.

nooo, don't do it steppe brother

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can you visit cities you're at war with to complete mainline quests?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dunno if the the latest patch did something to arrow damage, but I've gone down from doing 60-80 per shot to 20-40 :(

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm an idiot. Thanks man, this was it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just took down my first big stack- about 250 vs my 100 horse cav. They only had about 30 horsemen and after they died to the initial volley I just kited the troops until I ran out of arrows. I did the battle a few times to get the hang of large fights and can definitely say that macro is required. F6 only works against bandits. When I did that up front I got smashed within a minute.

Charged in to mop up- next time I'll try withdrawing and repeating the battle to see if that strat actually works.

A+ would golden horde again

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sounds like you should re-roll as a steppe nomad warlord, frendo

More seriously, you want a horse for each man in your army in your inventory to get you moving faster on the map. As a merc, you wanna go where the action is and pick your fights. Press N on the map, select the faction you're a merc for, and then find out who they're at war with. Go to the areas near enemy major cities and be a nuisance. Another tactic is to camp inside a neutral city between warring factions and to pop out and intercept caravans or other targets of opportunity that come by.

Flavahbeast posted:

This was weird: the Vlandians retreated with over 2/3rds of their army remaining (They weren't doing great, but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL15-jZUekw

I had my guys pick up arrows instead of chasing them down because I thought they were regrouping with reinforcement troops and coming back :goleft:

How do you get your dudes to pick up arrows? Had no idea you could do that!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Flavahbeast posted:

If there's a spent arrow embedded in the ground nearby they'll go grab it automatically. As far as I can tell they won't refill from dropped quivers, though

Dang, that's awesome. I'll try dismounting my horse archers in an arrow field and see what happens.

Pakled posted:

Sumpter horses, mules etc don't count as "horses" for the purpose of enhancing party speed on the map, they're pack animals. Try something in the next price tier up, like a midlands palfrey or saddle horse.

This kinda begs the other question... do they slow you down? Like, if you just have regular horses and a bunch of camels do the camels reduce your top speed on the campaign map?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Golden horde update- still very good. I'm playing the merc game now trying to prevent a faction snowball that's been going on. 125 horse archers can take down way bigger stacks, but it has to be the right enemy unit comp and you have to engage in an open area. Aserai units are especially vulnerable.

I also discovered using the executioner axe from a horse :swoon:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

tildes posted:

Is there any downside to raiding caravans of people you’re at war with? Do I lose honor or something?

from the popups it seems you loose some influence with merchants from the parent city? gently caress it man do it anyway

warcriming villages seems to have the worse effect on followers

executing nobles makes your reputation worse with the faction you're executing, but if you're doing that anyway you're probably salting the earth with that faction anyway

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, in the bottom right-hand corner where it lists the parties in your army, click the button with the little flags on it and then in the top right there's an option to spend influence to increase coherence. It incorrectly implies that you'll have to spend influence when the army is just your clan. That is free, although having negative influence causes it to error out and not work.

as a merc you loose influence every day :(

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For real the executioner axe is outstanding on horseback. Easily cleaving through 2-3 guys per swing, even on all realistic settings. It also takes down heavily armored dudes. Makes me wanna try the glave, but the axe just seems so much thematic for my steppe tyrant.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That influence is actually being converted into cash at your listed pay rate. Every day 10% of your influence is converted into payment at 1/per your rate.

So if you have 100 influence and are paid a rate of 100 denars, 10 of that gets converted into 1000 denars. Next day you have 90 influence and 9 of that gets converted into 900 denars. Next day you have 81... etc

[edit] This is why as a mercenary you should be donating most of the prisoners you take to the dungeons of friendly cities for big influence bonuses. Only ransom the most valuable targets (Lords, Tier 4+ IMO).

That said, getting started as a mercenary is hard. I hit rank 1 and take my mediore band of Mostly Tier 2 with some Tier 3 troops and sign up with someone and inevitably we get crushed cause I tried to back a losing team for better pay. I should probably stick with a stronger kingdom until I've got some cash built up and a clan tier that'll let me get some decent numbers to operate semi-independently instead of joining dumbass lord's armies that are 50% raw recruits.

Thanks for explaining this. I've been executing most of the lords I encounter to help stop a Battania snowball, but have been ransoming troops. Will dump them into dungeons now! Had no idea this was even an option tbh.

Merc life must be tough if you are a foot army just starting out because you can't really pick your fights. Grinding on looters is by far the best way to get you out of the early slump, but its precarious because you're not making any money for like a week running around leveling up your army.

Here's my plan for getting out of the late stage merc life: I'm going to try marrying into one of the more powerful Khuzait clans and having my warrior wife lead another army. My 125 high tier horse archers are already enough to conquer weaker factions. If I have two of those I think I can take and hold enough territory for long enough to create 1-2 more armies, mostly infantry focused, to help me hold my lands once I go independent. The Aserai in my playthrough are getting their asses kicked by Battania and the Southern Empire and I'm the only thing keeping them at 2-3 cities. I figure, if I become a vassal, continue taking back lands for them, and then flip independent keeping the holdings before conquering them entirely I'll have some rich property with only 2 possible fronts.

My main concern is that I lean super heavily on Khuzait troops from the far north east. If they go to war with me for whatever reason, I'm stuck with Aserai units. I'll basically have no choice but to have an army roaming around recruiting for my empire. That's a ton of macro just so I can play big battles with my own empire :(

e: :words: this game

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh then, I guess that settles that. Good to know, thank you.

Can confirm. This is how I've been dealing with my Battania snowball. My axe has ended 3 of their 10 clans so far. Seems to have slowed them down a little.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

So I want to become the ruler of the Khuzait because they're down to 2 towns and are up against the northern empire, but I'm only clan rank 2. Should I fight for them as a merc until I'm rank 3, or join up with the Aserai, who are doing less terribly with the southern empire until I rank up?

I'd go merc, work for the Khuzait to help stop the war and rank up. Once you're feeling better about their position, go vassal for the Khuzait.

I'm basically doing that for the Aserai, but I plan to betray them and go interdependent once I'm strong enough.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

terrorist ambulance posted:

You can go merc then vassal?

Yes. Being a merc is in a good spot right now since you can break the contract at any time from the clan screen with no consequences.

To become a vassal you need to actually find and talk to one of the lords.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
From my experience, game development is always a poo poo show. Will be interesting what made this one a unique flavor of poo poo show

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just had an extremely epic battle- 490 vs 95. I won with about 15 casualties on realistic settings

I did it by luring a southern empire army into the desert, and then went to work running circles around them with my pure horse cav army. When my dudes run out of arrows, I'd withdraw from battle, then engage again. The casualties are persistent on both sides, but everyone restocks arrows.

Learned a lot from this. It's really precarious, considering how massive the enemy army is when its chasing your rear end with heavy horse cav. Infantry are stupid fast too. Luckily, horse stamina is definitely a thing. Big fat armored warhorses are heavy, get tired, and can't catch lighter horse cav. The longer your fight the slower everyone gets, but steppe horses don't slow as fast. So, over time, the enemy infantry and horses get slower and your circle gets tighter and tighter. Did that until arrows ran out, which resulted in about 1/8th of the enemy dead, with 1-2 losses. Repeated a few times and then F6ed after the tipping point.

:black101:

Glenn Quebec posted:

lol, holy poo poo my wife died in childbirth

If that's a mechanic, I hope you can disable having kids altogether. Tyrant wife and I got the known world to conquer, yo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man they need to fix the noble re-spawn rate. They break out of jail way too fast and they're back into the fight too quickly. Only way to slow them down is killing them, but that's not an option if its a clan you don't want to ruin your reputation with.

I need to stay independent and obtain my own settlement to create my own faction. But I cant cant get a castle with my 115 troop limit and I cant create my own army while I'm an independent mercenary. Is there anything I'm missing?

You need to attack a castle that doesn't have a garrison, usually one that was recently seiged

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

A Real Happy Camper posted:

How in the heck am I supposed to get a husband, practically nothing I do gives me renown with nobles, and as far as I can tell I can't marry my badass companion.

Honestly I think yesterday's update broke marriage. I was in the endgame romance arc for a character and now the options are all gone. Worse yet, they don't appear for anybody suitable anymore either :(

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Glenn Quebec posted:

I think a fundamental fix for this would be to have archery toned down a notch. Warband did it better where entry level archers were only good for mass volleys and horse archery was very difficult.

When I made my Aserai horse archer I had 30 points in archery and as long as I slowed down I would deadeye people.

Weirdly this hasn't been my experience. It's been dang difficult while moving, though I've noticed it gets easier as my archery, horse riding, and equipped bow have become better.

A few patches ago, at low rank, I couldn't rotate more than 45 degrees. Now I'm almost a mounted turret.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm also interested in a simple list of the best factions/units for each type. Other than the imperials, who seem to be pretty good at most things, I'm going with:

Sturgians for regular bowmen
Battanian nobles for elite bowmen (they can be hard to find)
Battanian regulars for shieldless shock troops
Vlandians for regular cavalry and spearmen

From my games:

Khuzait heavy horse archers are outstanding... horse archers
Khuzait Kheshig or Khan Guard are just as good horse archers, but have less arrows with better armor and lances
Aserai Mameluke Heavy Cavalry are comparable to a mix of both the Khuzait horse archers
Southern Empire Cataphracts are outstanding heavy cavalry

e: two of those require nobles, two of them you can get from faction plebs

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

litany of gulps posted:

Any opinions on best armor loadouts? I decided I wanted a light armor set that allows me to outrun most enemies but still offers decent protection.

I settled on:

Plumed Nomad Helmet, 28 head, 1.1 weight
Eastern Studded Shoulders, 17 body/4 arm, 2.3 weight
Studded Leather Over Aketon, 26 body/8 leg/8 arm, 3.8 weight
Rough Tied Bracers, 30 arm, 0.6 weight (these appear to be the best gloves in the game, pretty sure it's a mistake)
Wrapped Shoes, 17 leg, 0.8 weight

With a longbow and executioner axe, I'm at 11.9 weight. My athletics isn't super high (65), but I'm fast enough that I can dodge most attacks and not have to worry too much about blocking. Also makes tournaments less obnoxious - in the spear/shield duels I can just circle left fast enough to pretty much freely stab the enemy.

My loadout is almost identical, except I went with some wrapped cavalry boots and a bear pelt.

Like Genghis Cohen is saying, I'm 99% of the time on a horse so heavier armor isn't as much of a liability.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Panzeh posted:

Crossbows should probably be piercing though, at least the heavier types- penetrating armor should be their niche.

I'm good with normal bows doing slashing damage. I remember the mod that changed the balance of damage on bow vs arrow toward arrows and thought that was an interesting way to have bows with pierce- i wouldn't give any troops pierce arrows but if players and their companions want to shoot bodkins, sure.

Give us the rambo bow.

STACKED bodkins, baby

Glass of Milk posted:

Has nobody cooked up an item list yet for the minmaxers?

Steppe War Bow
Executioner Axe
???
Profit

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Having a unit or two of cav to move around the flanks of archer heavy armies also helps. The AI moves them around and tries to reposition constantly which helps break up their shooting.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Today I learned you can equip multiple quivers

Praise the steppe arrow gods

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I mostly carry a shield on my back, so the Northern Round Shield seems the best in terms of coverage vs weight

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

I find with the horse requirement the only horsemen i bother using these days are my companions or horsemen that i've freed. They die far to easily otherwise.

I find with cav you need to be mindful of when you send them in and against what. Unless your army is all melee cav I guess.

Have them follow you up a flank and then F6 them when they are in good position to charge something weak. Then call them back towards you if the entire enemy army bites into them to prevent casualties.

Justin Tyme posted:

Reached the point where I may be unstoppable, my Khuzait horse army of 100 dudes is defeating 200+ Vlandian armies regularly, while only taking 0-5 casualties, I've decided to become a cruel warlord executing every single noble I capture to see just how broken I can get the game. I've already wiped out like 6 clans and killed that stupid Derthert guy.

Kinda curious to see what happens to a kingdom with no nobles at all.

Excellent work fellow steppe tyrant. I found ~100 mostly higher tier Khuzait horse dudes is enough to take down most large armies, provided you catch them in the open and withdraw. The only exception might be if the enemy comp has tons of archers or heavy cav

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chomp8645 posted:

The Calradian Communist Revolution.

I need this mod

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sky Shadowing posted:

Part of me hates that they changed it so that simulated battles give equal experience to fought battles now (in 1.1 beta). In the old versions I'd take some non-top troops on a Great Looter Massacre and had gotten a 300+ army of max tier units.

Now it takes a lot more dead looters to get that power, since a good chunk of them has suffered attrition and died off.

I agree. It's increased the time required to troop grind, which is the least fun part of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

I'm playing as imperials so they're decent against things that are weak, but my problem is they'll do one semi good charge and then go get bogged down in infantry after, which isn't what i want.

Yeah that makes perfect sense. You need to tell them to follow you after a charge: F1, F2