Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Spear and shield seems pretty solid.

How do you complete the first quest? I can't find any lords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

That smithing trick really helps

What do you do? Break down their poo poo and then upgrade and sell the raw materials?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How do you couch a lance?

The stamina thing on smithing kind of sucks

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Frog Act posted:

I’ve only found one couchable lance in the game so far, the fine steel menavlion. Tons of other Spears and pikes and poo poo but none allow couching

Also there’s at least one mod that just adds more smithing, i think the rebalance mod puts it up to 400

Yeah I think the problem might be that my weapon doesn't allow for it even though it's a 2 handed lance which I just assumed would

I was pressing x but it didn't seem to do anything so I wasn't sure if you had to do something else

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Tournaments are pretty fun and profitable in the early game. I've been able to consistently win them while betting the max all the way through and have some decent armor to show for it too

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I hate spear+shield tournament fights so much...

yeah, they're by far the hardest.literally savescumming a spear&shield fight right now because fuuuuuck

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I actually like spear and shield but im also a retard. Try shield bashing "e" just before the AI can finish an attack, you stun and can get a free overhead hit on his face. its actually p funny.

No spear and shield is good, it's just the arena fights with heavily armored and shielded enemies also armed with spears are tough because they just devolve into poking each others shields for a minute then you gently caress up your block and die

Yeah I've been mixing shield bashing and circle strafing to beat them. The only problem with bashing is I find sometimes they'll recover very quickly from the stun and hit you while you're swinging

I wish tournaments gave skill increases

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Are you guys manually installing/managing mods or using a program

Nexusmods has always seemed shady to me

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

What's shady about it?

Dunno, last time I used it it was coated in the same type of ads for belarusian anime games and bonsai buddy apps that like p2p software has. I know it's a pretty popular and widely used site, just wary about it for some reason

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there a reason you cant recruit enemy prisoners sometimes? I've got money and capacity but sometimes cant seem to recruit enemy prisoners when sometimes I can

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I added that pack mod but turned the difficulty up and it's kind of a nice change.

I never played the first game of this and was on the fence about buying this one because I misunderstood and thought it was a FPS thing like Mordhau, but if anyone else is reading this and wondering if they should get the game, jump on it for sure. The combat is kind of janky but is really satisfying and fun. If the game was just riding around spearing raiders and winning tournaments I'd play it, never mind the huge sieges and stuff. It really is fun as gently caress

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What is the effect of the various character traits on companions etc? Generous, cruel, devious, etc?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I want to get this game but it's very expensive.

Copy text plz

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How does creating additional parties, caravans, etc work? I'm sure asking this will cause some turbonerd to freak the gently caress out because I've dared to discuss the game in the thread devoted to discussing the game, but the mechanics are pretty opaque.

I gave a companion command of 40 troops and they seem to just wander around, but I can't command them or do anything. Is the idea that they just do quests and earn money and then kick it up to me or whatever? What are you supposed to do to expand?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

BMan posted:

Is horses going lame a thing in this game

There's a skill in the horse tree that talks about it but I haven't seen it so far in com at yet, they're either just alive or dead

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
how do you update mods in the Vortex manager? It's not immediately obvious to me and I've been loving with it for long enough that I'll just ask to see if it's a known issue or something

edit: it's the tab on the left hand side that says "mods" if it's expanded and is just a little wrench if you don't. I was trying to navigate it via the dash board and downloads and poo poo, but you can only delete / add them from the wrench screen.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 8, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
gently caress, bannerlord tweaks is causing crashes on tournaments now. my loving nightmare.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Arrath posted:

Disabling the tournaments give xp mod fixed that right up for me.

yeahhhh thanks friend

also that config is helpful!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

black smithing exists to get you tons of money, not to make any items. Just buy out the hardwood hamlets every time you go buy one and sell metal bars any time they're red

what does this mean

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there any real reason not to go deep into a blend of heavy infantry with tons of foot archers? Foot archers kind of gently caress up everything, including elite horse archers which are otherwise pretty difficult to deal with

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

I'd go merc, work for the Khuzait to help stop the war and rank up. Once you're feeling better about their position, go vassal for the Khuzait.

I'm basically doing that for the Aserai, but I plan to betray them and go interdependent once I'm strong enough.

You can go merc then vassal?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How do you make workshops profitable? I built a couple that exploit the resources of the associated villages and they dont make much. Similarly my caravans dont seem to make too much.

I seem to earn decent amount randoming the literally hundreds of troops I capture every day or so and selling their poo poo, but not the like millions of gold level riches I've seen some people post

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also it seems pretty obvious but cavalry only groups have a pretty tough time in sieges. I went to go snag a castle on my own with 80 top tier cav units (heavy archers, Lancers, cataphracts) figuring how bad could it be, they're heavily armored and good archers. They ended up getting bottle necked and taking hilariously heavy casualties against militia and new recruits

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Where is the beta opt in? I went to the steam beta section and it just has up to 1.0.10, not 1.1.

edit: Restarting steam added it to the beta opt-in.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 11, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've got an older computer (i7 5820K, gtx 1080, 32GB ram) and it runs battles with 1000 people at 3440x1440 with everything turned up. I've had FPS dip a bit in huge battles, but I think it honestly may be from memory leaks / lack of optimization that will get better over time. The game looks and handles pretty well

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
One way to play is to swim in the wake of a big army and fight the nobles who show up to fight it. The AI will often send mid-sized groups against your army but they won't attack, and just kind of circle around waiting until they build up enough numbers to attack. If you just ride out alone and fight them, it's a bit more fun / challenging, and it prevents them from building up to a point where they can challenge the army. Then you rejoin the army to siege or fight another big army or whatever.

edit: everyone in the beta looks like the fat version of Mac in It's Always Sunny, it's loving hilarious

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
In the beta, it seems like a lot of the companions for hire have much reduced / restricted skill selections. I'm seeing agents with like, 90 in bow and 120 in two handed and no other skills.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Batannian armies are kind of fun but I can't get used to how slow they are on the world map.

Do sturgians have any redeeming qualities at all?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Played the beta for awhile and yep, archers still too good. It's not just the Fians, I get that they're supposed to be good being the Noble line and all. All of them are too good.

I honestly think part of it could be fixed with AI changes. Currently their response to being charged by cavalry is just hold in place and shoot the gently caress out of the cavalry, which causes pretty heavy casualties. If they got knocked over or disrupted more by being run over or tried to retreat rather than just shooting a longbow point blank cavalry might counter them.a bit better.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

forest bandits will wreck your poo poo if you dont have good shields. Also they train up into fian champs, so they're probably the easiest way to get a bunch of those

How do you get them to actually rank up into fians? I parked a bunch in a castle with a training field and it's not working, and my leadership has leveled up like 10 points at most over any campaign

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

disciplinarian perk

Ok, but how do you get to 125 leadership?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What's the best way to increase influence with characters in towns if you want to recruit troops or whatever? Quests aren't always reliably available or practicably completeable, is there some other way

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is it the "Courtship" skill? Level 225 charm? It wasn't clear to me reading it what the gently caress it was supposed to do.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm bad I realize but I really cannot get the hang of hitting things from horseback with anything other than a long spear. I wish it was telegraphed clearer where your swing was going to go

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Where are the saves stored for Bannerlord? Something has happened to corrupt a save and cause it to crash every time I try to "Resume game" or "Load game" meaning that I basically can't play the game anymore. Only thing I can think to do to troubleshoot is delete what I think may be the problematic save, other than just uninstall totally

Edit: It's in Users/(Username)/Documents/M&B 2 Bannerlord

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah deleting a bunch of saves fixed it. There's some loving mod bug that causes saves to be corrupted and prevent you from opening the load game screen at all, so good luck goons, don't use those mods I guess.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
installing latest update has caused the launcher to stop loading. welp

edit: it's the fastdialogue mod causing it for some reason.

edit 2: yeah any mods at all cause it either to not load or crash. i think i'm just going to have to bail on this until the patches are spaced out a bit more, losing saves and not being able to play is a bummer. game loving rules and I'm excited to see a more finished product when it comes out

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 17, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Would Fianns work as a counter?

Fianns counter everything.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What's the best way to take a settlement to start your own kingdom? And then defend it? I just get stomped out by huge armies whenever I go in on an established kingdom.

Edit: also I figured out what the mod problem was. I had to revert to an old copy of tweaks. I cant stop playing because I'm weak and apparently willing to put up with my poo poo getting lost every couple patches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
So when you get a kingdom, what are you actually supposed to do to grow it? I'm trying to charm and lure other lords out but it's slow going. So is hiring and training troops and building parties, feel like I'm m.k issing something