Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Steppe bandits are trouble, cause horse archers are drat good if you don't have enough troops, but have enough to keep the small parties away from you and you can hunt their hideouts, where they are kind of weak without their horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Well, before you can own a caravan, you need to run a caravan. Enough troops to deter most bandits, and you buy somewhere that's very cheap, like a town that makes furs, and then sell it somewhere where it's valuable. You can make a pretty decent amount of cash doing this.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Probably they should change it so that it becomes Item type: Mount and, Mount Type: Horse, or Camel or Pack.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

The Mongols get too bad of a rap in my opinion. Ignoring the fact that Temujin is the biggest rags to riches scenario imaginable, they instituted a clear and relatively concrete justice system, had religious freedoms and protected trade.
Sure, if you opposed their hegemony, or even dumber, betrayed them, huge parts of your population would die, but I've read of some historians theorizing this may have led to less deaths than normal for a conquest of their success, since some cities would just surrender instead of risking their wrath. What's more, they tended to leave craftsmen and religious men alive as well as putting to use anyone who was willing to work for them. Hell, their greatest general, Subotai, was the son of a blacksmith. It wasn't till the second world war that armies could achieve the strategic mobility and speed of conquest they achieved.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

They usually have at least one already or get one built by the time I build the siege camp

I think the strategy is immediately pulling back your siege weapons as they finish, then moving them back up once you outnumber the castle's weapons.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Valtonen posted:

The sad thing is that against a cavalry Army this by far the best tactic possible.

Yeah, I was going to say, the urak-hai of isengard won a ton of battles against Rohan with that tactic in the last days mod.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

I got a new laptop recently, holy poo poo this game slaps. It's amazing how fun it is. Does anyone have recommendations to someone coming back into this after years playing warband? Related to that, are there any good total conversion mods, and how hard are they to get working when the game is on steam?

I like the smithing, it's pretty sweet, do you usually get more recipes from smelting weapons or from forging them?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

As someone who played tons of warband, and just recently got back into this, the graphics almost alone make the upgrade worthwhile, but there's definitely lots of excellent quality of life changes, like when you do the tax collector quest for the lord, you can just the message with the cash instead of having to find the guy again. Smithing is kind of fun too, I want to work it so I can make good thematic weapons for myself.
Hell, even just getting a nice recurve bow when I joined the Khuzaits was pretty cool.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Apparently this patch is supposed to speed this up, as well as only injuring the garrison troops so they still need food but can't fight.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Really looking forward to this mod update, artillery always makes battles more dynamic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX5ge8-JIEM

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Huh? I assume you're hitting X at high enough speed to couch the lance, then making sure to aim it when you charge at your enemies? Because while the addition of having to push X is an extra step, couching is still almost always a one hit kill and can basically win a battle in the first stroke if you manage to get their commander.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah but I honestly find the timing and aim easier holding an attack and releasing it instead of couching, like fennesz described too.

Of course compared to a swung polearm it is outclassed in every way anyway so.

yeah, i think the biggest difference is that you need to aim it a bit better, whereas when you had high skill with polearms in warband it would basically hit anything anywhere near the end of the spear. but it was pretty overpowered before, so it makes sense to be a bit more difficult. Swinging a long polearm on a horse should unbalance you or something though, since i can't think of historical examples of people swinging something so long on horseback.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

I will say the feeling of thrusting your lance to hit an enemy horseman trying to couch you so you get the better reach and hit him first is one of the greatest feelings. i still say there ought to be an upper limit for how long a weapon can be and still be swingable on horseback...but i guess i can just be happy the AI doesn't do it too much.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

i wonder if they'll ever incorporate the serve as a soldier mod into the base game. it really livens up the early game, since you can get into the huge battles right off the bat. i also like the using the same gear as the regular soldiers, it makes going up the troop tree more rewarding and gives you a better understanding of the different types of troops for your faction for when you eventually command.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

kedo posted:

I was going to try a mod for this recently, but then they patched the game and every single mod broke and I was too lazy to rollback the game in Steam because there's no easy one-click method for doing so (and I was too dumb to have auto-updates disabled), so I got grumpy and stopped playing, again.

Does anyone know if they fixed smithing so that it doesn't break the economy? I haven't played the most recent patch of course, but on my last couple of games I specifically avoided doing any sort of smithing because it's way too easy to go down the "make the biggest weapon possible with the most cut damage and then sell it for 10,000 gold" rabbit hole like two days into the game.

I can't say for this second one, but steam does give you a way to rollback the game pretty easily. I'll see how many clicks, haha.

EDIT:right click bannerlord, left click properties. left click on betas tab on the left. then select which beta version you want. So five clicks i guess, but still not so hard. i only just checked because i just had to do this to play the old realms mod, but it just redownloaded that version and i was off the races.

Ardent Communist fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 31, 2022

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

just an fyi for anyone else playing the old realms warhammer mod, when you're a vampire, you can get a couple kills to fill up the sword on the bottom right, and then hit ctrl to turn into a bunch of bats and fly around for 5 seconds. it's pretty drat good for when your horse gets hurt and you're surrounded. Especially since you can summon skeletons to back you up when you land.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

i know it's a mod, but the serve as a soldier mod works with the both the old realms and eagle rising mods, and the base game, and gives you the opportunity to just be a regular soldier in a NPC's army.
it's a completely different grind, but for example it was handy for my engineer character in the old realms because after i gained enough xp while a soldier in an empire army, i was able to get a crossbow despite my skill being too low to equip any crossbows, so i could level it up.
but it's just a good opportunity to make money and level up your skills at the start of the game, while getting into huge battles almost right off the bat.

i haven't tried it, but i believe there's a mod that lets you start as a lord or noble, or faction leader.

now, we could argue that taleworlds needs to implement these things in the base game, but for now you can do all those things with a mod, so you can fine tune your game experience to your own wants. warband was similar, the base game was pretty drat fun on its own, but with mods can become something even greater.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Serve As A Soldier was my method of actually gearing myself properly in the Old Realms mod too, haha. It did come with the caveat of hoping your commanding lord doesn't get themselves wrecked in the space of a year before you could retire from service honorably and keep all your equipment, unless you just chose to desert early.

haha i was with an empire character for longer than a year and i still couldn't retire from service honourably, i was wondering how long the term of service was. but anyways, you can ask for leave and then bribe your way to freedom, you don't get to keep your items but you should have enough money for anything.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

I thought serve as soldier wasn't getting updated for new versions

i mean, i had to download the 1.7.0 version to use it with the old realms since that mod is for bannerlord 1.7.1, so they've been releasing updates up till thursday. so it's still getting updated up till now.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

yeah, it's nice having the progression in the serve the soldier mod, gives you a chance to get some nice armour and weapons earlier. can't imagine having a soldier with the experience and not upgrading him. only exception would be if the upgrade needed a horse.
the poor guy got the kills, give him some better armour!

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

apparently they released a new beta patch that changes bunch of stuff... here's some changelogs, i'm just going over it
main one
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/beta-patch-notes-e1-8-0.452029/
troop and item changes
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/e1-8-0-troop-item-changes.452028/
economy changes
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/economy-changes-with-1-8-and-onwards.452027/

probably the biggest thing i saw was the addition of skeleton changes to the modding capabilities, i know the old realms mod was waiting for that so they can add orcs and stuff.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Apparently the new version of the Old realms, the warhammer mod, is coming out on the 11th.
Adding Reikland and Talabecland.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-old-realms/news/monthly-update-october1

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Taleworlds takes the betheseda route and releases the bones of a hell of a game, and then modders come in and turn it into something special. But like you said, no one else is doing this kind of thing, so i'll give them credit for making the bones of an entirely different animal than most. Try the old worlds mod if the base game is getting stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

I'd say if you loved the original you should definitely pick this up on sale. Graphics is obviously better, but the animations are smoother and there's mods doing crazy stuff like adding battle artillery and magic, and though some people complain about kingdom management, it's still better than the days of the original mount and blade.