Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Really happy with the character I've been using, modelled him somewhat after classic Conan, but he also came out looking a bit like Spock, just with a whole bunch of chin.

Recreated a couple of times (took picture of slider values). Incidentally is there a mod that lets you import and export slider values?

e: Also, they were mentioned a couple of pages back, and while they are not fun I've found a pretty good method for the spear and shield duels in the arena and it's essentially shield bash-overhand thrust-shield bash-overhand thrust, works pretty well and allows me to get in some good damage, especially if I can hit the face. Probably helps here that my character is a tall motherfucker as well.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I think they're a touch slower and bandits and enemy armies now aggressively attack them.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad change. Caravans should be targeted by bandits and war parties (perhaps not armies, but the smaller parties at least). The problem is that there are just way too many bandits, and this seems to have been the way since the game came out, it just wasn't having as much of an economic impact until they tweaked bandit behavior. For instance in one my first games, the Khuzait Khanate was just overrun by steppe bandits everywhere that no one could catch and they all congealed in these giant unassailable hideouts.

I'd keep the change to caravan speed and bandit behavior, but look at bandit spawn rate and hideouts, and/or the possiblity of local forces and other merc factions cleaning out bandit hideouts. At the moment this seems to fall entirely on the player.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Another problem factor is the sheer number of bandits about. In my current game they outnumber the peasants. They outnumber the merchants. They outnumber the lords. There are more bandits than all three combined, twice over. This kingdom is like solidly 70% bandit and it's no wonder the wagons can't get through.

Yeah, as I said above this is it. They need to cut back on bandit spawn rates in general and either abstract bandit lairs getting cleared out by local forces over time (tie it to garrison or militia strength for instance) or have local forces (lord's party, hired mercs, militias) actively attempt and be able to clear out hideouts. As far as I can tell only the player can attack hideouts at the moment.

This would make levelling armies more difficult, which could be counteracted by making levelling leadership more attainable for non-kingdom (vassal or ruler) characters who can't lead armies so you can grab the trainer perk earlier. Alternatively perhaps make the first couple of tiers of basic troops (beyond recruits) much more commonly available for recruitment in anything beyond the second column so you don't always have to grab recruits and throw them at looters (who should be much more rare) to get a functional party, at least if you've got decent relations or are part of a kingdom.

Glenn Quebec posted:

The mod that allows Lord's (and yourself) to create patrols our of towns and castles has basically saved my playthrough

Link?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Locator posted:

Steppe bandits are ridiculous. My group is made up of about 50% cavalry and everyone else is mounted and I have speed bonus on the world map. My speed is 7.2 and 98% of the Steppe bandit groups just run away from me at a speed of 7.6~7.8.

Unless you have a 100% cav army I just don't see any way to run these fuckers down unless you get lucky and catch them in an area where you can push them into a dead-end.

Only time I've ever caught them is through the town quest where a local notable asks you to deal with steppe bandits, this creates parties from bandits from a nearby lair, which suicide towards you so you can catch and fight them. If you get this quest it's a good occasion to locate and clear out a bandit nest if you want or need to, because it means a nearby one has basically been emptied.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think only two handed weapons (that are not polearms) cleave. It doesn't make perfect sense, but some of the higher tier glaives and poo poo are just utterly ridiculous already, especially from horseback. Almost feel like maybe they should be disabled for use on horseback (perhaps enabled with a perk, like longbows and such) as they compeltely overshadow and outperform lances at the moment.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

I consider the below mods as necessary for my experience. They aren't in any particular order, I may edit the post to categorize them. I have tried to not include things that are clearly my taste and opinion, like cavalry charges doing more damage or removing looters rocks. As well as cosmetic stuff.

Most of these should probably be safe enough to just bake into an ongoing game? Guess I'll just create a backup save in case of disaster (though disasters are typically a bit slow to develop in this game).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Though honestly all the other levy units are pretty worthless at the moment in Captains. Tribal warriors are okay, I guess.

I saw a stream earlier this week and seems to me that tribal warriors are really good in the right circumstances. Armed with maces they pretty much beat the poo poo ouf of legionaries for instance.

Dandywalken posted:

Agreed. Its annoying having a bunch of small groups.

I kinda would like to see them raid villages too but that might snowball out of control.

I think it would be cool, but it would go out of control if you don't cut back on bandit spawns and provide villages and such the means to fight back (the patrols mod posted seems interesting for instance).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 17, 2020

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dilettante. posted:

I think that was debunked as a myth, some nerd studies showed that fully plated dudes had a good deal of mobility. Fully kitted out modern soldiers carry roughly the same weight. But yeah bannerlord is set around the Migration period according to Wiki.

According to what I've read plate armor like you see in the late Middle Ages and Renaissance was (and is) actually much less tiring to move in and allowed for greater mobility than what you got with an earlier full chain mail hauberk. First of all the difference in weight isn't as great as often imagined and proper plate armor actually distributes the weight much more efficiently, whereas with a chainmail hauberk it's carried almsot entirely off your shoulders and waist (though with more belts and fittings you could help distribute the weight here as well).

Outside of the actual war armors I believe there were examples of specific tournament armors that were very thick to further increase chances of not being accidentally killed by a tourney lance. Those were probably ludicrously heavy and difficult to move in, but you were only really meant to do the one thing in them and that's couch your lance and tilt against another guy a couple of times under controlled circumstances.

Anyway, I think lances on horseback work very well, even when not couched, and I'm getting pretty good at using them. They're especially good at attacking other horsemen, when I think it's possibly even better to not couch them, becasue with enough relative speed you will do enough damage and you can be much more accurate with the direction of your thrusts than with a couched lance. I'm fine with most lances not being couchable (especially as it wasn't that common a technique in the era the game draws from), though really whether or not you can couch a lance should also be tied to the saddle you are using, my problem is that there are these ridiculously long glaive polearms that can be wielding from horseback and have insane reach and swing damage and just outperform all lances, couched or not. Those weapons should defnitely be restricted from use on horseback, when longbows are reasonably not allowed, it's ridiculously powerful and looks ridiculous, like the guys using those weapons would be in danger of falling off (possibly being able to bypass those not being useable on horseback should be tied to riding or polearm skill).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 19, 2020

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

It's hilarious to think of a bunch of Victorian-era types looking around the squalid, coal-choked industrial hellscape that was 1800's London and saying "jeez, if things are this gross now, imagine how bad it must have been in the Olden Times!"

The Victorian era is actually the period when the Middle Ages tended to be romanticized in a pretty big way.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

This feels like a fan port to Unity

Feels just like Mount and Blade to me. What did people expect or want? It's a very unique game that's tons of fun, but it's always been janky as hell. Bannerlord is just that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BlackJosh posted:

From a bunch of pages back, but what up fellow Conan character creator!

Go grab yourself some Battanian Savage Armor and a highland shoulder strap (both real cheap in the Battanian cities...the strap might take a few passes to find, I think forest bandits can drop them too) to complete the ensemble... running around half naked with a horde of barbarian steppe nomads is the absolute perfect tribal chieftain/warlord Conan the Barbarian simulator

gently caress. I've been using armor. What the hell was I thinking?!

But yeah, when I heard the menu music I knew at once what my character was going to look like.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Vasudus posted:

It's a shame that the Sturgians appear to suck terribly.

Sturgian units apparently become super saiyan at tier 5. Sturgian veterans will beat almost any equivalent tier unit, while Sturgian shock troops murder the gently caress out of all equivalent tier units, including elite cataphracts.

They are also very good in MP it seems like.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

He's got some fun vidoes but I think he plays at reduced damage for player and allied troops, so that's goona shift it somewhat in favor of the player.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

How can you see a companion's culture? My castle has 0 loyalty and 0 food because it's populated by racist kulak imperials that are starving on purpose because they don't have their type of governor

Look them up in the encyclopedia

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Do we have a discord or something for multiplayer in this game? I don't think I'm good at this game, but it'd be fun to actually play multiplayer without it being an anarchic mess.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

My guy has 122 Scouting. Maybe it was there somewhere, but I just could not find the last group. I would be less irritated if I didn't get a relation decrease. gently caress you, I killed nearly all of them.

The bandit groups from this quest actually are made out of the bandits in a nearby hideout. The bandits do make a beeline for the city where you got the quest, but they can end up getting waylaid or diverted along the way if you're unlucky. On the plus side it more or less empties a nearby hideout, so if you find this quest it's basically a greenlight to find the hideout and clear it out.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Some people were talking about personalized clan troops a while back that you can equip as you want (similar to how you could in a lot of warband mods) and I liked the idea of tying troop and equipment tiers to clan rank as was brought up. A further idea I had of how to bring a bit of gameplay and such to it would be to for you to unlock weapon, armor and unit types (bit of a broad and vague concept here, but think of stuff like the berserker with high athletics, two handed and throwing skill, so "unity types" would be skill packages more or less) as you familiarize yourself with a given culture.

So say you start off being able to equip and train your troops as your chosen culture and you can then acquire stuff from the other cultures by serving in their armies, perhaps tie it to influence so at 25 influence you unlock some stuff, more at 50, 100 and 200 for instance. I think that could make things a bit interesting and make both the culture you choose for your character and who you serve as a mercenary or vassal hold more significance.

Could perhaps in some way tie party members into this as well eventually, especially if you introduce an army organizer type of clan role tied to leadership that could then unlock different equipment and training for your clan troops dependent on the skill and culture of that party member.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

I have an i5-2500k cpu (3,3ghz), 16 gig of ram, and a GTX 1060 gpu. Game runs ok but doesn't handle the hilly maps that well and sieges are like slide shows. Do I need to upgrade my cpu or gpu more?

Taleworlds needs to optimize their game. Which they've already begun doing in the beta branch, it's running and loading much better now than at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

Real samurai? Wasn't iron super rare on the island, so having an actual sword and even halfway decent armor would make you invulnerable against the peasants with their wooden stick weapons? I'm not learned, but didn't they also use heavy capes/cloaks to catch arrows and function in a similar fashion to shields in the western nations?

Edit: I think all of that ties into sword design, as well. The fragile, curved samurai style swords were designed for slicing up hordes of unwashed farmers. Western sturdy stabby swords were fine for chopping up farmers, but also had a bit more utility against someone in armor.

I mean, Samurai didn't really fight against hordes of unwashed farmers, same way European medieval armies didn't have conscripted peasant rabble in them. You also have to consider that just like in most other places on planet, the sword was a status symbol, a personal defence weapon when travelling or otherwise off-duty and in actual battle mostly a backup weapon (though in close combat, a shorter sword or a dagger, both of which the samurai had, would often be more useful if you were already at the point where you could not use your primary weapon).

Up until the the Sengoku Jidai I'm pretty sure the Samurai mostly fought as mounted archers, and on foot wielded two-handed polearms like the naginata or its predecessors if they did not use bows. At this time there were relatively few non-Samurai in armies, and the armies were small. Come the Sengoku Jidai when warfare becoems endemic and increeases greatly in scope and scale, you began seeing large numbers of non-Samurai added to the armies, the Ashigaru who are often characterized as peasant draftees, but in reality kind of ran the gamut from that to full-time professionals, with the most common thing probably being like a part-time semi-professional (who practiced farming or some trade outside of the campaigning season to sustain themselves).

It's here you began to see some of the warlords introducing shock cavalry tactics instead and alongside the more traditional mounted archery, as well as massed formations of drilled footmen armed with pikes, bows and eventually matchlock muskets. I don't really have a good answer for why shields don't seem to have been* used (they were very much used in China and Korea), though obstacles, barricades and various types of deployable cover were common. Perhaps a part of the reason is thatthe era of large-scale, high-intensity warfare in Japan corresponds with a rapid development of battlefield tactics that resembled contemporary European pike and shot tactics where two-handed polearms and missile weapons dominated the battlefield.

*And it seems they were.

Voyager I posted:

Some quick googling suggests that, in fact, they did, and the idea that they didn't is a western pop-culture misunderstanding.

Yeah, that makes sense. It's probably a consequence of extrapolating the tactics and weaponry of the Sengoku Jidai too far backwards in time.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 28, 2021