Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hi, I've finally come into some money and can buy video games again. How's EA Bannerlord; is it stable enough to commit some playtime to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Badass, it's time to drink from some skulls. Thank you!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I see two big troop/item overhauls: Calradian Reforms and Bannerlord Overhaul. Any impressions about them from this thread?

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 7, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, some of these 1.4.2 beta changes look good enough that I should probably dumpster this 1.4.1 run and un-updated mods...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You guys have a mod boosting looter/bandit party size? EA and all but it does feel rather strange to be able to get more than 20 soldiers in your party very quickly, leading to most bandit stacks being too afraid to engage you like, 15 minutes into starting a new character.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fishbus posted:

I've folded that into my mod (plug Download here: PowerUp Mod v5

Dope, thank you. I assume your mod works with the latest beta? Also I guess it also works with Bannerlord Tweaks, maybe

bees everywhere posted:

I did too but they've gotten better for me once I got the hang of it. To do any damage you need to keep your distance from the enemy. Stay out of spear range then run towards them as you thrust. If your spear connects towards the end of the thrust animation then it will really hurt them. It's really tricky and especially not easy if they have a shield but once you get the timing down, those become the easiest fights.

There's also abusing the AI by circling them endlessly while stabbing at their feet. That works but isn't very fun.

Another thing I found was just two-handing the spear. At least the fight goes faster thanks to you doing on average twice or so as much damage per stab that hits home.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 9, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fishbus posted:

I keep to the current stable, but I might move to beta

Oof, yeah I'm trying it out on 1.4.2 and it's causing crashes. I'll keep an eye out if you update!

EDIT: Scratch that, it works, Vortex just didn't save my mod load order lol

EDIT2: Yeah, no, spoke too soon. Doesn't work, will wait for updoot

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 9, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fishbus posted:

I've done some more updates to my PowerUp! vanilla mod.

Thank you very much for updating, I had a rad time earlier when a 60-man strong looter party spawned and I just went to town with my Viking-themed toon, cleaving through them with his big ole axe and killing 2 guys a swing. This game is going to be so rad with more time in the oven and modding.

As a sidenote, I dunno if it's realistic or not but I love how the animations for using 2-handers on horses have been greatly improved. Swinging a 2hand axe or sword looks fantastic now, with your player using both their arms to really put some force into it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus, I bought a pottery shop in a 4500 prosperity town that had a clay village supplying it, and earned...20 bucks a day. That's astoundingly terrible. Guess I really have to find a good trader to run caravans.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Should I be going for at least two resource villages? Or is one fine

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Christ, I started a new Imperial run (infantry frontline that has good shields and throws pila with decent archer backline makes for a solid core), and both my silversmith in the most prosperous city in the game with supporting silver mine AND a caravan with better troops are making fuckall after a few days. I really don't understand the passive economy of this game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah gently caress, sorry all, I just remembered that I'm using the Calradia Expanded mod, and I imagine the shuffling and additions it does messes with the economy a fair bit :v:

EDIT: Ok, I think I've gotten my feet off the ground with a Battanian run, this seems fun. I actually don't like using polearms so not having to give a poo poo about them in tournaments means I can go all in on the good poo poo like 2handers and throwing weapons while still being able to use a shield. I've already heard about the insanity of Fians so that's good, and the Wildling troop chain seems surprisingly good for line infantry despite looking like they're meant to be skirmishers. Turns out having a throwing weapon makes an infantry line so much more scary.

As a sidenote: what's everyone's preferred 2hander weapon class? I'm inclined to go for swords because of the mountain of customization options available to them over axes and whatnot, but a big fuckoff axe is just solid as all hell.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 17, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do you guys think the leveling rate is too slow in vanilla? Feel like I should double the experience gain or something using the tweak mod

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah, thanks, no guilt about doubling the gain then.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fishbus posted:

Yeah I do like how a lot of the system works, I like learning and levelling up by doing the thing.

Speaking of which, Fishbus, if I double down on your mod's changes by increasing the FP gain even more using BL Tweaks, will that retroactively give me the new FPs or do I need to somehow do some save editor fuckery to make it happen?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Cool, thank you very much! BTW I enjoy your mod, it pretty much covers all the aspects of the game I wanted changed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Classic style huh? At least it's more reasons to chase down routers and murder them

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally reached the vassal stage (still feel like the mercenary phase is way too short, maybe vassalage should be an option in clan tier 3 instead of 2), and while you no longer get the shittiest village in the realm as your first fief, getting a castle and two villages far the gently caress away from Vlandia proper and surrounded by angry Vikings and Celts might be a bit too much for me. Ah well. Maybe there's a way to give it away?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Apparently the mod that lets you change xp gain on a skill by skill basis is broken. drat shame, 2x is good for the combat skills but not nearly enough for like trade and the more intellectual stuff.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm a boring idiot who actually thought that the falxes were lame (yes I know the Celts were in both Britain and Thrace) so I'm glad to see some motherfuckin' claymore infantry, thanks Fishbus! Also the skill rate tweak is sorely needed, goddamn

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

I have been getting this crash every time I run your updated mod. The one I'm running successfully is a few iterations ago but these last two, crash my game with this same crash every time I open a save or start a new game.

https://imgur.com/a/XDnm3Fg

Hmm, are you on the beta branch? Because Fishbus switched to it two versions ago and that was the first thing that came to mind.

EDIT: Hoo boy that's a lot of experience. Probably should turn down this XP multiplier to like, 1.5x instead.

EDIT2: Ah gently caress, giving a companion a party role stops you from earning XP with that skill? It was probably obvious in retrospect but dang, since the game needs you to raise skills to level up, I guess the "optimal" way to do things is to be a master of all trades in the end.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 23, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Fishbus, should SA finally be consigned to oblivion, are you going to upload your mod to Nexus?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Those beta changes are real good, I'm glad TW seems to be open to making radical QoL changes that would have been the purview of mods in the past.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man the beta really does make the game run better, screen transitions are so much smoother.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Turns out Guan Yu and Lu Bu were really on to something with this whole "swing a giant loving stick with a slashy bit at the end of it while riding a horse" thing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I played the Old Realms mod; it's way too early for a real playthrough (the economy and item prices are super alpha and hosed) but when everything is in place, it's loving incredible. Cleaving through swarms of skellies with a greatsword, doming some vampire gently caress with a pistol headshot, getting murdered by death magic, firing back with cannon batteries... poo poo is amazing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Serve As A Soldier was my method of actually gearing myself properly in the Old Realms mod too, haha. It did come with the caveat of hoping your commanding lord doesn't get themselves wrecked in the space of a year before you could retire from service honorably and keep all your equipment, unless you just chose to desert early.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus Christ, what the gently caress is wrong with this game. I don't think I've had this much stability issues with other games plus modding; save when too much poo poo is going on and your save is loving dead on load every time. Sometimes it just crashes! Why? gently caress you, I don't know.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Dont know but I've never had an issue anything like you describe. I also use only very basic mods, so...

Yeah, coming from like Total Warhammer and even Starsector's ability to work with a lot of mods and not just explode readily I'm just surprised at how volatile Bannerlord is. Let me write out a brief outline on my experiences getting back into this game:

1) I play Old Realms with 1.7.1 as the mod isn't updated to the latest patch yet, realize it's too early and decide to mod vanilla instead and see how it is.
2) I switch to 1.7.2, get a lot of mods downloaded and fix up the load order.
3) I found out that 1.7.2 apparently has a major stability issue and that most of the extensive mods are still on 1.7.1 anyway so I have to redownload 1.7.1 and rebuild the mod list with older versions.
4) Lots of crashes on boot (gently caress off with asking me if I want to boot on Safe Mode, jfc just start the loving thing and let me see if it breaks or not, also gently caress you for not having a proper error log), trial and error to isolate poo poo that isn't working somehow.
5) Find out that the game is still volatile even once I finally get into it, find out that Nvidia DLSS is somehow the culprit, stability improves somewhat but it's still present.
6) Find out that Bandit Militias (at least the version that works with 1.7.1) is a major cause of instability and that I have to use the in-built function that removes every bandit militia party every so often in order to stop crashing, and also hope I have stable saves to do this with).
7) Get fed up with the fuss, remove Bandit Militias (to my disappointment, LootersPlus doesn't nearly create big enough armies), and now am mostly stable.
8) End up corrupting a save again because apparently saving in the vicinity of too many enemy armies is asking for it, ragepost on SA.

Yeah, at least to me the game feels very volatile, I dunno. I've not nearly had this many problems with other games and I think I'm pretty good at building stable modlists thanks to like, nearly two decades of playing heavily modded stuff regularly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

*plays early access game*
*mods the poo poo out of it*
wHy Is iT cRaShiNg???

Starsector isn't a full release either but it handles this better than Bannerlord does, so you can eat poo poo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone here actually play with Bandit Militias? I've narrowed it down to this specific mod being very volatile, which sucks because if anything it's the one I want to play with the most.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

For the soldier mod, how long does a contract actually last...?

From my experience, one year, and if your lord somehow manages to not get themselves hosed in that duration, you get to retire with all your equipment. You can also just desert, but that tends to make enemies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I kinda RP a bit by not upgrading troops past levels where they have better armor than me. That's mostly a big flaw in the "believability" of the game, when you can't even afford the same poo poo your dudes are wearing but can afford to pay them to upgrade all the way to that level, but as it is it also helps me save cash.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone tried running a Vlandian army with nothing but crossbows and cavalry? Sometimes I feel like I'd be better off just doing a big blob of crossbows, maybe with Voulgiers sitting behind them, with heavy cavalry in the wings since Sharpshooters have good armor and a shield. It feels like it could be less micro-intensive and more efficient at killing enemies that way.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's a good point, especially since I've actually felt like my cavalry has been underperforming.

Maybe I should reinstall RBM's AI mod again...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Mount & Blade is one of those frustrating games that is expensive and riddled with flaws, but nothing else out there matches its niche so you're stuck with it warts and all

Ah, Total War.

Weird how both are games involving the senseless, brutal slaughter en masse brought about by imperial ambition :(

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there a way to deploy infantry along with archers in a single unit? I was wondering if there's a simpler way to deploy polearm infantry in a ranged line without using two separate units, along with saving on captain slots.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

I think you can do it by picking the mixed infantry/archer unit type?

You don't really want to though, since archers are best in loose formation and infantry are best in shield wall or skein. Lumping them together will give you the worst of both worlds.

Thanks for that!

Efficiency is nice and all but I'm kinda intending to play Vlandia with the infantry/archers being a static block while I flank with cavalry, and I might just take the hit just so I don't have to micro them more than I have to. My issue with delegating command is that I've noticed the AI not even bothering to respond to incoming cavalry or enemy infantry reaching melee range, which was real annoying.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, pure pikes is suicide in this game when there's so much deadly ranged firepower around. I planned on using Voulgiers sitting behind pure Sharpshooters, since even if they won't be protected by their pavise, they'll be shooting back. Voulgiers then absolutely poo poo on any melee target, even if they're somewhat fragile due to lack of shield, but that's what the Sharpshooters are for.

That said, I tried your suggestion and funnily enough it arranges infantry and ranged in a platoon formation, ie. a line where from left to right you get a somewhat even spread of groups of melee and ranged infantry. It's cute but I was hoping for just plain ranged up front and melee at the rear entirely. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For all this game's faults, Bannerlord can absolutely loving deliver on the fantasy of being one dude in a massive medieval battle. I'm glad they're finally pushing it out for release; hopefully this means that the code is stable enough for people to iterate on their mods without having updates wipe everything out regularly.