Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i'm poo poo at the melee system in mount and blade, so i'm pretty disappointed that "automatically block in right direction" isn't an option anymore. alas! i'm also confused why people on tales forum are so hostile when people ask about it, but whatever.

also, my eyebrows show up in first person view??

i'm looking forward to seeing how the devs continue to develop this though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
how come i can't attack bandit hideouts with all of my soldiers??

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
it's weird that the quest to find out what the bronze thingy your brother gives you takes so fuckin long. you have to cross the breadth of calradia a couple times, talk to 10 nobles from different sides, and then ultimately raid two bandit camps to gather up all the pieces of the old dragon banner or whatever. then you start down a questline to... join a faction or start your own so that you can eventually conquer all of calradia.

i don't mind that this quest is here, but why is it so long? it's not like it forces you to level up, or that it deeply expands on the lore of the world that i know everyone cares deeply about (lol). i don't know why they didn't just have a short quest chain where you stumble upon it while doing something like the original game's introductory quest.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Drone posted:

I haven't seriously played Warband in like, 5-6 years or so, and I'm finding Bannerlord to already be substantially cool and good :shrug:

I guess it sorta depends on your expectation.

i guess it's specifically because you haven't played it in 5 years? i've played warband a couple times a year on and off, and i'm a little confused as to why it took them 7 years to make bannerlord instead of, like, 3 years.

not to jump on you or anything. it just hasn't felt like a huge step up for me so far. it's pretty good though

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
so uh

do you only learn smithing parts by smelting down weapons? and it's only a random chance?

that seems poorly thought out, given how tedious it is to grind out smithing levels

also also, this game really needs skill trainers for stuff like charm or roguery or trading unless they overhaul how leveling those skills works; you'll swing your sword dozens of times in a single combat session, but dialogue or "passive" skills are more rare to use, and they really need a boost of some kind

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Sailor Dave posted:

All of the stats and their rates are moddable. It should be pretty easy at this point to make the XP gains for JUST smithing much faster, without making the gains for everything else way too fast like the 5x XP modifier does. I've just figured out how to make the changes modular without ruining compatibility for other mods, so I'll try throwing something together to make some of the harder stats to raise easier.

while i think that's a good idea, the other issue with smithing in particular is that you randomly learning recipes. i cheated myself a million ingredients to play around with it, but even at level 60 in smithing, the variety is terrible. i can forge a one handed sword with a whopping two different kinds of tier one blades now, never mind the guard, grip, or pommel.

i mean, i think the intent is to make sure the player can't just forge the Godsbane of Smiting too soon, but they vastly over-corrected if i'm right.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

FileNotFound posted:

Oh - well congratulations on winning the game!

I don't understand relations in my kingdom at all. At this point it's just me and the queen and she's -70 to me - and I'm unsure why.

Wondering if it's because I'm "dishonorable" but I think I got that by raiding villages and cutting off every single head I could cut off...but war is war right?

cutting off heads seems to drastically reduce your relation with everyone in the faction of the beheaded person, whether the relation value is the faction leader or Jimmy the Potter in one of their settlements. the relation value loss needs to be tweaked somehow, or cutting off heads (even in the middle of a war, why are people so mad this is war goddammit) isn't worth it. putting leaders in a dungeon is probably more conducive to weakening a faction at this point

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Because that is not how things usually worked back then, they're nobles! If nobles die in battle, oh well, fair dos. But you don't just chop nobles's heads off simply because this is a war! War is just business! You ransom them, not execute them, and you don't execute them because tomorrow they might capture you (a general you, not specifically you) and do you want them chopping YOUR head off or trading you for some cash?

okay, that's true, but nobles don't actually die in battle in this game (i was also being part frustrated, part making a joke :)). short of hauling them all around as prisoners or locking them in a dungeon, assuming you have access to one, there's no other way to remove nobles from the playing field and weaken a faction

also it's very satisfying to click through the clans in the encyclopedia and see how many i've destroyed :unsmigghh:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

i don't really know if it's facepalm worthy; overcoming medieval sexism as woman and rising through the ranks of power could be pretty inspiring

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Would that I had the money for that. Like i said, I'm chaining tournaments just to stay afloat. I may have over promoted my dudes

Attacking and looting caravans is pretty profitable. The goods you’ll loot sell well, and you’ll get a decent amount of renown for everyone caravan raided. You’ll piss off whoever owns it though, so be wary of that.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

buglord posted:

Someone already made a mecha anime reskin mod and yeah its as bad as you think it is. :shepface:

oh my god

you fukken bastard

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
is there a console command or mod to just... give me all the smithing recipes? even with another mod to let me smith and smelt nonstop, it's super tedious

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

drkeiscool posted:

is there a console command or mod to just... give me all the smithing recipes? even with another mod to let me smith and smelt nonstop, it's super tedious

got it, actually. if you use the console, the command is crafting.unlock_all_parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Ravenfood posted:

Check and make sure that actually works because last time I tried it it didn't do anything.

it worked for me, although i also cheated and set my smithing level to 200 so maybe that had an impact?

Sky Shadowing posted:

If you do this though make sure you save, exit the game, and reload, otherwise you're strapped in for 2 or so hours of 'Unlocked Gold-Plated Hilt' or something.

oh yeah, i made very sure to save after that. i did it once before back near when the game came out and it crashed right after all the upgrade unlock notifications ended, that was fun

i have mixed feelings about bannerlord (or maybe mount and blade as a whole). i totally understand the appeal it has because it mixes together things like battlefield strategy, melee and archery combat, building a kingdom from nothing and managing it, politics, and economics, but i feel like it doesn't do any of them particularly well, just... serviceably passable. it really makes me yearn for a medieval Sid Meier's Pirates, if that makes sense. it definitely scratches an itch though, so despite my whining i'll probably play for 30 more hours, heh