Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

any word yet why the fine steel menavlion got Couch removed? That was pretty much the only one I've found in my ~30 day playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

Because it gave no reason to ever use any other polearms.

sure balance it but it is seriously hard to find anything that couches and that's the main draw of polearms

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Is there any way to raise rep with a village leader when they don't have any quests for you? Basically to unlock Battania Highborn Youth spots, of which there's only a few and some are locked behind reputation

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Kill bandit groups nearby

Suspect Bucket posted:

Saving their villagers from looters works when you run across them.

neat, I'll camp around it for a bit. thanks

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Is there a trick to getting the relative to show up in Family Feud quest? This seems like one of the more buggier ones, it's been flaky for me multiple times. But maybe I'm missing something.

-I got the quest
-went and spoke to the kid
-kid is in my party
-go to the other town, speak to the guy
-thugs are there as normal, but the kid never spawns in with me and the other NPC never triggers the quest dialogue

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nosre posted:

Is there a trick to getting the relative to show up in Family Feud quest? This seems like one of the more buggier ones, it's been flaky for me multiple times. But maybe I'm missing something.

-I got the quest
-went and spoke to the kid
-kid is in my party
-go to the other town, speak to the guy
-thugs are there as normal, but the kid never spawns in with me and the other NPC never triggers the quest dialogue

I got it to work by leaving all my other Companions in a nearby city, so I only had the one quest Companion in party

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

it's dumb that all horses (including Sumpters) are called 'horse' at the top of the tooltip, but there's a 2nd 'horse' label down at the bottom which is the one that matters

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

the awesomeness of that outweighs the double labels though

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Every time I do a bandit hideout attack my party composition is different. No matter who I put at the top of the party list I'll get completely different parties every time I save and load. Is this just not a thing I'm able to control yet?

Yep, it's random. I'm using the tweaks mod which removes that cap, because it's a particularly annoying part of vanilla imo

Plus it's hilarious at the end when the boss comes out to duel you and you've got a party of 70 surrounding him in a giant deep circle, then you say no to the duel

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/49?tab=description

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

So if you're part of a kingdom and attack another kingdom's Caravan you get set to -200 influence and start a war between the two powers. The former is fine and good, things had been stale for a while. But should I care about -200 influence? The voting stuff seems inconsequential so far

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nosre posted:

So if you're part of a kingdom and attack another kingdom's Caravan you get set to -200 influence and start a war between the two powers. The former is fine and good, things had been stale for a while. But should I care about -200 influence? The voting stuff seems inconsequential so far

update: it's fine so far. I went from that caravan into killing 2x enemy armies which snowballed into picking up my first two workshops, so I just rolled with it.

The King still likes me just fine, and soon after I went -200 they voted to give me my first castle, so it doesn't seem to matter. I can't vote on anything else but, again, the other votes don't seem to matter much

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Like I said, they gave me my first castle almost immediately after I went to -200, so I guess you need influence to get new fiefs beyond that initial one?

Armies is a big deal. I'm already 'up' to -140 though so it goes pretty quick anyway

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

What do people like for your non-Battian Fian Champion troops as Battiania? Basically, which of Trained Spearman, Veteran Falxman, or Wildling are the best blockers/meatshields?

I initially went with Wildlings cause the picture has a big rear end shield, but they seem underwhelming. Of course, you could also just pick up an imperial line unit instead for this role

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

I highly recommend doing this asap, I found a wife as a random lord on the map. Cost me $6000 in payment to her father but she came equipped with super top of the line armor and horse that I immediately took for myself. Also baby making is bugged she seems to pop one out every 9 days so one day my army will be entirely my own children.

:eyepop: wait, do kids turn into actual usable troops?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Cognac McCarthy posted:

:confused: lots of posts on here saying kings will just give a settlement to the player if they don't have one, that hasn't happened in my campaign because it's always up to a vote and other lords with influence just vote for themselves every time.

stupid question maybe but you're sure you're a vassal and not still an allied merc? It happened quite quickly for me when I fully joined up, even though I was -200 influence

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Trading ones are rare but they apparently exist (though not guaranteed to be in every game). Someone made a good compilation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/fx4sp7/all_companionswanderers_and_their_skills/

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Gaj posted:

Is anyone else seeing a distinct lact of chest armor? I see plenty of helmets, boots, hand, and cloaks but almost no chest armor. Is this a patch thing or based on local workshops?

It might depend on region. I know I'm killing the Western Empire right now and there's plenty of it around.

It also mostly looks like cloth/undershirts, so that's a bit confusing visually

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Blacksmithing:

Are you basically forced to take the Fine Steel / Thamskene recipes at 75 and 100 skill? Seems like you barely get any of it through smelting

Followup question: is there a worthwhile endgame of crafting in place for this stuff? It seems like it's the only way to get Fine or Masterwork since item modifiers don't exist as drops anymore

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Oh dear me posted:

But I like the idea that after slaughtering an army you'd have a lot of spare vests. What I'd really like would be 'Buy all' and 'Sell all' buttons you could set some rules for, like 'Sell all unequipped', or 'Sell all red trade goods'.

This kind of works by locking your horses/trade goods/food/weapons you're saving then using the Sell All button for the rest.

The only annoyance is that if you have rare food like Oil or Beer, and lock it, then it gets used, if you get it again later it won't be locked anymore

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Apparently you can go through the encyclopedia, sort for all the villages in a given culture, and then the ones with Powerful landlords will have noble recruits.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Kestral posted:

That sounds incredibly useful - where is Powerful indicated on a character's encyclopedia entry, if they have it?

Look at the village entry, not the character, and then you can see power by mousing over the "Notable Characters" at the bottom

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

quote:

Reviewed about a third of the quest issues, improving dialogues and persuasion:
Major changes in particular to “Family Feud” and “Spy Party”

Hopefully good, those were both obnoxious/frequently broken

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

What skill controls the chance of prisoners deciding to join you? Charm?

After a war with one of the imperials I've got a nice chunk of their elite cavalry, but I notice tier 6 or 7 units never seem to give in, it's only the lower ones

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I can't even find a list - like in a battle 3 or 4 days I'm pretty sure I moused over a horse running off (rider got killed) that was a Storm something? No results googling that though

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

^^ also for preventing them from being smelted, especially since the smelting UI defaults to the top of the list if you're spamming the button

I'm very optimistic for all these little tweaks, though, looking at the pace of their patching

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

The real clutch is to have archers in the center, infantry off to one side, cavalry (if present) on the other side. Have not-archers charge before the enemy fully closes distance. This way even when the melee balls connect your shooty mans still have a line of fire. And hoo boy that is when the really go to town.

Plays straight out of the Total War book.

Not a big deal, but is it possible to select more than one group (the infantry+cav in this case) for simultaneous commands?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

dogstile posted:

But yeah, i'm starting to think enemy lords should be able to "cheat" a little bit, if only to make sure that battles are interesting. I just had a 700v700 battle that had about 400 recruits on either side. Not even tier two. My core of legionaries slaughtered their way through the enemy army, which is cool but also something that shouldn't happen as often as it does?
sounds historically accurate tbh

quote:

E: Maybe its half the reason archers are so good right now too. They're basically just shooting pincushions, which causes a morale cascade, which causes the next set of enemies to spawn, but they don't run in formation, so they get cut down one by one even if they make it to the infantry line.
this is a good point and definitely true though. See it all the time in those 200 v 500 battles where my 35 fians get 250 kills

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I hope vanilla can keep up, I don't want to need half a dozen mods just for fixes

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Sky Shadowing posted:

Sieges definitely need some tuning, I feel like the 'optimal' strategy in terms of easiest battle is to knock down the walls, but I can never get my siege engines up because the enemies just have 4 sitting there waiting for something to shoot at. And that's with me as an Empire char, who has a significant bonus to setting up siege engines.

By 'knock down the walls' do you mean Trebs will eventually break a wall completely (those avoiding the need for ladders/siege towers)? I haven't seen that, but I also haven't let it go very long because my army cohesion falls apart

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

sweet. Does this happen on the overworld phase, or the battle phase?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That Italian Guy posted:

- During the siege phase, after the siege camp has been assembled, start building trebs/catapults in all 4 slots (you have to queue them all together).
- When one of your siege engines is about to be completed, switch to normal speed.
- Pause as soon as the siege engine is completed.
- Right click and send to reserve. The next machine construction should now start.
- Repeat the process until the last machine is completed.
- While paused, deploy all the siege equipment from reserve.

Everything is automated. Your machines will focus fire the enemy's ones and kill them all, then they'll start working on the walls. Once 1 or both wall sections are down, you can lead an assault and there'll be a hole you can pass through in the walls.

NOTE: this is clearly not working as intended - since your machines will defeat anything the enemy can field even if you have 0 Engineering - and the defending enemies' AI is also busted, since they'll just stand around the hole in the wall the same way they stick around the gate if you use a battering ram. Ranged enemies are the only real threat.

Thanks. I'd done the reserve thing but yea never got far enough for them to actually break down walls, since I've been using armies and the cohesion runs out

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I kinda want to do that before it gets patched but lol 225 trade.

Mine is 18 even after using bannerlord tweaks's skilling rate increase for this whole playthrough

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Drakes posted:

Trader better! Exp seems to scale greater if you make a big profit off a larger transaction.

I definitely did quite a bit of running around town and finding the trading hints then doing them early on in this playthrough :shrug:

I stopped doing it because the sums involved started to mean there either wasn't enough available of the good in question, or it was enough that it would tank the price in the selling town and end up not being very profitable overall

Tamba posted:

You could use another exploit to level up your trading skill (caravan prices are based on the closest city), but if you're using a tedious exploit to be able to use another exploit to break the game, you might as well just open the console and cheat directly.

Yep, I thought about setting my trading to 225 but at that point you might as well just cheat to get the towns directly.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Jose posted:

its strictly to improve my glaive and nothing else

give up the dream then because even after doing that to level it, the specific part unlocks are random, so you have no idea when you'd get improved glaive ones

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Randarkman posted:

I think only two handed weapons (that are not polearms) cleave. It doesn't make perfect sense, but some of the higher tier glaives and poo poo are just utterly ridiculous already, especially from horseback. Almost feel like maybe they should be disabled for use on horseback (perhaps enabled with a perk, like longbows and such) as they compeltely overshadow and outperform lances at the moment.

I feel like anything that can do swing attacks SHOULD outperform lances, with lances having the bonus of being able to couch. But for whatever reason they highly restricted the lances that can couch, so there's a bunch of them right now that have neither bonus

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

So I normally only have 50 Fian Champs, but uh yeah. After this video I might bring more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cBDLKD79w

Be more interesting if he did those 50 vs. 50 elite heavy cav or something more comparable. Of course they're going to murder 3x their numbers when the opponents are 40% recruits and wading through a river please don't nerf my fians too badly

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

There definition needs to be another option for getting nobles out of the picture now that they made executing even worse (now it also gives you -10 with other Honorable nobles, so you'll quickly tank rep even with people in your own faction)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yea Sturgia is pretty bad but everyone else is playable. Do Horse Archers or the Battanian noble archer line (Fians) if you want an easier time for your first play, those are probably the most OP things right now

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Go around to villages and look for 'Highborn Youths', or install this mod to get an icon for it. Some of them will be gated behind rep, but there should be 3-4 places you can recruit them from immediately

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/429?tab=description

You can also turn captured wood bandits into Fians with the leadership perk, or putting them in a castle of yours to train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

bannerlord tweaks just removes the 10 cap which makes hideouts easy. I'd actually prefer the challenge if I could SELECT the 10 that come in with me, but in the mean time I'll send 40 Fians at them instead of dealing with randomly getting sent in with recruits