Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Sky Shadowing posted:

Sieges definitely need some tuning, I feel like the 'optimal' strategy in terms of easiest battle is to knock down the walls, but I can never get my siege engines up because the enemies just have 4 sitting there waiting for something to shoot at. And that's with me as an Empire char, who has a significant bonus to setting up siege engines.

I build one of those ladder siege machines, then start the battle. Then, while one group of infantry is pushing the ladder machine, I rush to the other ladders just leaning against the wall. Since I rush, I can get a ladder up and climb it usually before any resistance shows up on top of the wall. Then I have a toe hold and my infantry swarms up the two normal ladders. I have never knocked down a wall prior to a siege. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Is anyone else experiencing a situation where their game is unmoddable? It seems like every day, with the new minor tweak patch that comes out, one of my mods turns itself into a game crashing mod. It's super frustrating that I can't seem to progress at all in the main game because I can't go more than a day or two before all my saved games are corrupted and the game crashes at startup. So I'm stuck with a pure vanilla experience and who the hell wants that? How are people posting here about running 15 or 20 mods at a time?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
This Fire Lord mod is utterly fantastic. It just got uploaded yesterday. Turns arrows and weapons aflame, and you can light units on fire too.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/795

I can light my heavy executioner's axe on fire and hew through peasants, ha!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BeAuMaN posted:

Are you using the garrisons-need-no-food mod? Because maintaining a 182 troop garrison on a lot of my castles is impossible, assuming full militia.

Does that mod also remove the pay for garrisons? I am in the middle of the late game and have four towns plus three castles. I'm spending my time running back and forth deleting my 300 unit garrisons because otherwise my income gets insanely low. Like -7000/day low. That's without any companion armies.

In fact, is there any way to limit garrison size? This peasant rabble in my fiefs keeps improving themselves and expecting me to pay them more! Next thing you know they are going to unionize. I want to limit my garrisons to keep my costs down. The mod that alerts me if my city is besieged is enough, I don't need an expensive mob of 300 tier five units defending the walls. I want my companion armies back too!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I froze my game on 1.1 and haven't installed or removed any mods (other than fire lords). It took me a while, but I painted the map as Khuzait. This game is great, but I'm going to wait for a troop overhaul mod before my next play through. I really like the mercenary and special units of each faction, but want ten times more variety. Hopefully at some point someone will put out a single compendium mod, as I see a ton of good mods, but there are a ton. Great game.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 8, 2020

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Is there a way to see all of a non-clan character's stats (including attributes) instead of just the skills they're good at? Makes a pretty big difference if someone with 100 Scouting has 2 or 7 Cunning.

Once hired, go to your start screen and click the left and right arrow on the top of the screen to change which character's stats you are looking at. Before hiring, I don't know if you can.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Everyone post your phattest looter stacks, the current record is 113

Your can easily scale this up with mods. I just killed a stack of 2000 with my 400 man army of t12 murder machines.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

Which one are you using for this? I'd love to have some massive looter armies running around.

Kaoses party sizes. It's dead as of 1.4.1 though. I don't know if there's a replacement. Boogies troop upgrades for getting your dudes up to, like, t15. Boogies works in 1.4.1.

Also, on siege chat, I rush a ladder and try to be the first up. Then I stand 2 or 3 rungs below the battlement. The defending militia will fall off the battlement trying to swing at me, killing several dozen guys and clearing the way for me to jump up and defend the ladders while my army follows.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Riatsala posted:

Is there a good way to decide what kind of workshop to set up in a given city? The income I get from each type seems to be kind of random.

Edit: Also, what determines how much you earn per influence in a mercenary contract? I started with the Vlads at 70 gold per, but it's degraded slowly to 10.

Yes. Click on trade in a city. Hover your mouse over the little hammer in the top left corner, above the list of items for sale. That will list the city's villages and the corresponding thing they produce. You want workshops that match what the Villages produce. So if there are three villages, and they produce gain, olives, and horses then you want a brewery and olive press in that city.

Also run the mod v's no workshop limit (I think banner lord tweaks does the same thing but hasn't been updated for 1.4.3 yet).

Finally, the best way to make money is smithing. Looters drop pitchforks and blacksmith hammers, which give more hardwood than they take to break down. Use the resulting charcoal to smelt everything you can. Once you can make any sort of decent javeline, start pumping those out. Javelines require very little resources and sell for obscene amounts.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Crowetron posted:

I'll give Bannerlord a shot, then. Any general tips for starting out?

Go to nexus mods, grab Vortex Mod Manager and go ham. Mods are designed for specific game versions, so look at steam to see the version you are running (1.4.3 is the current newest) and only grab mods that are designed for that version.

It is normal to get a mod setup you like, and then freeze your steam to keep from updating.

I strongly suggest Fire Arrow Enabler. It makes the game significantly better. I also suggest Banner Paste, and that you Google "banner lord banners" to see some of the cool banners that people make. Those are both cosmetic. After that, it's all personal preference.

Also add mods one at a time, as this game will crash if you have an outdated mod or conflicting mods.

Finally, when in doubt, get horse archers.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Is anyone using a fire arrow mod in 1.5.2? I found fire arrows to be a significantly useful thing during battles in addition to looking cool, but the two nexus fire arrows appear out of date.

Also I just started a new game with your mod fishbus. It's great!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Time to give this game another whirl to see what they've changed in the past few months

I wonder if I can still have insane amounts of completely useless children

Probably not if playing video games is your hobby.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The patch notes said they added skeletons, which I assume means expansive skelton modding for unique units? For people, horses and camels. That could be interesting.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 27, 2020

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Go to a village and recruit the troops there. Once you have 10 or so then kill some looters. Bandits definitely exist just look around for them. Killing them is much more profitable than looters. Once you have ten leveled up troops then hit hideouts. Steppe bandits are basically impossible to catch though.

Villages with quests will have blue exclamation points next to their name. Enter the town menu (no need to walk around the town) and you'll see the villager with the quest icon near their name. Click on them and click talk. The orange exclamation points are the main story quests and are assigned to specific lords.

Looters/bandits, quests, and tourneys should get you to clan level one, then you can become a mercenary with a faction by talking to any Lord of the faction you want to join.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jimbot posted:

I think I liked the game more when I didn't have to lead anything. When an AI leads, every lord and lady is out there in an army tearing rear end across the world, taking everything. When I lead? All these entitled pricks are lazy as all hell, not doing a thing. Meanwhile every enemy lord and lady comes to the rescue of every piece of land under attack. Attack a village with 25 men and 6k worth of defenders come. Enemy attacks my settlements? A half-dressed bowman arrives at the scene and is taken prisoner immediately.

I can't figure out battles with two ally commanders. Like if I join into an already going 1000 v 1000 battle, I can't control anything but my 120 dudes. Fine, I'll pay attention and charge when this rear end in a top hat Caladan charges and try to stay coordinated. Except every single time, without fail, the ally commander gets confused and will refuse to engage the enemy. So the other army just sits there in bow range shooting the poo poo out of my allies, and my allies just stand there not shooting back and just passively dying. I can't figure it out, and it's super frustrating. I can't hit F6 because my guys will do their best but just get slaughtered 120 v 1000 while my allies army watches. I can't hide my army behind the ally army because they just stand there until dead. I can't shield wall and advance hoping my ally's AI triggers because it just doesn't.

I don't get it and it's frustrating.

Anyway I'm hoping for a fire arrow mod soon. I haven't played since like 1.5 and remember that was the coolest thing.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
How do I assign heroes and family members into different roles, like ranged or horse archer? I can assign a hero to lead the ranged group in the troop deployment screen, but what if I want to have more than that one hero assigned as a ranged hero? Right now all my extra heros other than the four assigned to lead the four groups are each in group one, which means they're all melee infantry. I can't see anything in the party screen, and I even looked for a setting in their encyclopedia screen.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Also the mod Bannerlord Cheats has a toggle for infinite ammo.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

Just picked this up on sale (played Warband a fair bit) and messed around for a few hours, considering restarting to clean some stuff up. I want to do a mounted javelin thrower but I'm not sure what cultures are best for support troops there and what weapon I should have as backup.

Once you get rolling you can and should switch your whole kit out for whatever whim you want. Mounted javelin thrower one day, crossbows the next, sword and shield the next, the change is just a matter of switching the weapons out. Same with your troops. If you want an army of shirtless two handed maniacs in your army, great go hire them. If you want mounted archers, kick the shirtless dudes out and go hire the mounted archers. It's as simple as that.

What I'm saying is, don't get too hung up on optimizing the starting choices.

Also get whatever mods you want to make whatever flavor of game you want. There are some infinite ammo mods out there that made mounted throwing builds more fun for me, but they're a bit cheesey.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The game is designed to be heavily modded and either replayed or all your units scrapped so you restart your army at any time. Play whatever at whatever time. I once did a few hours where I only used looters recruited from prisoners.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If you're really going crazy then download the mod Bannerlord Cheats, and adjust any setting you want. I have 1% regen on just because it helps me hew mobs of angry peasants without having to worry too much about getting hit a few times and needing to hide. You can turn on invincible heroes, infinite ammo, whatever you want.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

This game could really benefit from removable limbs

Get the mod Dismembered! It has removable limbs and heads, and slow mo replays of said removing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
A million games do it that way. EverQuest did it that way in 89 or whenever in the stone age that released. I like that system.