Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Bohemian Nights posted:

Are there any penalties for 1-handing the weapons that are both one and two handed?

There were in Warband so it's safe to assume they carried over in some fashion. This includes when you're 1 handing a polearm BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Pyrus Malus posted:

does it bother anybody else that the buttons on the bottom left don't progress from right to left like Kingdom>Clan>Party and that Quests is separating Clan and Party or is that just me and am I an insane neurotic person

I literally never click them and don't even know which is which so no.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Nosre posted:

Trading ones are rare but they apparently exist (though not guaranteed to be in every game). Someone made a good compilation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/fx4sp7/all_companionswanderers_and_their_skills/

This is really useful, thanks for the link.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

How much does leveling slow down skill growth? Say I have ~120 polearm skill at 5 focus and I want to switch to a two-handed axe, which is about 30 with 1 focus, and I'm level 14ish. I also desperately want more leadership, steward, and engineering. Are those 120 points in polearm slowing me down in any way at all, or is it just the "wasted" focus?

The way leveling works, you are crippling yourself if you do this. You level off skillups, leveling unlocks more skillups, but fewer than it requires to level. You have a limited supply of skillups before you run out, and allocating them suboptimally will permanently weaken your character.

Yes, it's loving stupid, and no, Taleworlds will probably never fix it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

BigHead posted:

Is anyone else experiencing a situation where their game is unmoddable? It seems like every day, with the new minor tweak patch that comes out, one of my mods turns itself into a game crashing mod. It's super frustrating that I can't seem to progress at all in the main game because I can't go more than a day or two before all my saved games are corrupted and the game crashes at startup. So I'm stuck with a pure vanilla experience and who the hell wants that? How are people posting here about running 15 or 20 mods at a time?

You can lock in to a specific version with the Beta tab.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

Has anyone done an explainer on the character screen yet? The utter lack of tooltips and lovely design makes it impossible to tell when or who needs attention for levelling up or whatever it might be. I literally have no clue what to be looking for whenever I get a ping from the character tab and I miss skills that can be upgraded until way later all the time.

e: for a concrete example, I have a lot of companions with that silver shield and # next to their name along the top, but nothing to pick, perk wise? Others with a silver shield but "0" on it but have a perk that can be selected. :confused:

The number is telling you how many perks OTHER characters have to select.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

buglord posted:

Is there a certain blogpost or updated roadmap that shows how complete the game is? I wanna dive in but only once they’re done adding content and balancing SP.

I bought M&B 15 years ago. Warband was basically the same game updated a touch. It was never finished.

That said, Bannerlord is a HUGE leap forward, but it's going to be a while before you can consider it even close to complete.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

tildes posted:

I think it’s pretty obvious that basically everyone who is not in the CCP leadership doesn’t think that a dictatorship censoring people is a good cause.

This part isn't really true. The CCP has been so effective with censorship and propaganda that they've largely convinced Chinese people that CCP = China = Chinese race and thus anyone who opposes the CCP hates Chinese people and is a racist. They're both unbelievably terrible and widely supported, because people are in fact loving sheep.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

FlocksOfMice posted:

That the fandom has been able to code the majority of them into working order so easily really makes me wonder why they didn't just... at least, try, before releasing it to EA. Like the basic "get +3 arrows" perks were the first ones the community got working within days without modding tools, even if they're redoing the perks why not... at least have the character development part at least proof-of-concept-ready before selling it to the public?

Look at the development of M&B/Warband. TaleWorlds takes FOREVER to do anything, to the point where I expect Bannerlord will probably never be complete and they'll pull another Warband and just move to a "new" game at some point (which will still never be finished, but much closer).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

downout posted:

Yeah, I've had similar experiences, this game is good, really good. But I hope they follow through with actually completing it. The crazy part is to me that it's 70% of the way there, but they need to complete it. I don't know what the original vision was, and I didn't play warband before, but it's a fun game.

What was the target completion date? Full release date?

I bought the original M&B in 2005. It was never finished. Warband is basically the same game but slightly expanded, and that came in 2010. It was never finished. Bannerlord is much more ambitious. It will never be finished.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

FlocksOfMice posted:

The part that always gets me is that this is called Mount and Blade II, when it really is Mount and Blade III. They can't hide their sins from me I remember when Warband came out and having to buy the same game all over again! (it was worth it)

Really it's more like Mount & Blade VI : Calradia III when you include the three lovely spinoffs. Still worth it. I've put this game down for a while to let it mature a but, but there's no doubt that I'll get plenty of mileage out of it, just like I did with M&B and Warband.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

To me, the dynasty system could work if player death were implemented and leveling speed was dramatically increased and/or you could train your kids in the background. Killing a lord, having their kid kill you, and then your child take vengeance on them, etc could be fun if done well.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Enjoy posted:

plz no ethnic cleansing in my feast planner game

What do you think we're feasting on?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Even at launch it was more playable than Warband ever was. It's still got plenty of Taleworlds flaws, but if you liked Warband Bannerlord is a no brainer.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yup. Learn by doing is always a bad mechanic. XP as a currency is the proper way to implement its equivalent.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Especially in the context of TaleWorlds, what does that even mean? I bough M&B in 2005, and 15 years when Bannerlord came out, I still wouldn't consider it a finished game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

"Early Access" is just loving words, your obsession is comically stupid. Some games have been complete for years before "Leaving Early Access", plenty of other games have "Left Early Access" without even being functional. Anyone sane is gonna laugh at you, get used to it. It's especially comical in the case of TaleWorlds, who are the sort of people that would slap the Early Access label on a game and literally forget they did it and just go on with life forever.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah it's sorta like cinematic observer mode. I recommend trying to crack the egg that is commanding, though, because it really does add to the game. It's not for everyone, but keep giving it a shot every so often and maybe eventually it will click.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

TBF one of the design goals was to make sieges less lopsided and more interesting than slaughtering infinite mans at the top of a ladder, but they've clearly not accomplished it yet. Still better than Warband, but huge room for improvement.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's like Battlefield. Lots of obvious ways to improve, bad concepts introduced, but just no competition who might actually fix them.

I find it much more forgivable because unlike DICE, Taleworlds has moved in the right direction more than the wrong direction, and also because it's a relatively small company - though the countless millions they've made over the years make that excuse sillier with time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

ErKeL posted:

I've definitely run through a lot of companions so far, and I accidentally got my little brother and sister killed from the storyline. If it wasn't such a grind to get these pricks leveled back up I'd be fine.

That's the stuff that I hope Taleworlds can move past at some point. They love heinous grinds. I hope Bannerlord winds up with a generational system where I can play a character and not be sad when I die because my heir has some decent starting stats but more importantly can level up quickly. Same thing with armies - not everything should be doomstacks of max-tier troops, but at the same time god drat it can take forever to raise and level and army and that's just not great.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The models are mostly there for the fighting. The menus are to reduce the tedium. Trust me, you don't want to have to run through towns for everything. If anything, Bannerlord needs even more abstraction, not less.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Taleworlds has always been this way and always will be. They're very slow and their focus seems almost entirely random. It's just how it is, unfortunately. Have the fun you can have, and when it gets old, stop and give it a couple years in the oven.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

buglord posted:

So it’s enough to make me leave Warband uninstalled forever but it’s still so barebones that I was disappointed enough to make that post. I wonder if late game/kingdom management is a priority at all for the devs because it doesn’t really seem like it.

Their only priority since the start of M&B in like 2005 has been their weird pseudo-alt-historicity obsession. They just aren't a very good game developer, they're the only developer in the genre and unlike DICE they don't have a bajillion dollars and a huge publisher that should force them to straighten them out so I can't really hate them for it. It is what it is and it'll always be that way, the game will always be far more awkward than something designed from a game design perspective. It's still fun, but I do wish someone else would do the whole thing better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The map is by far the least fun part of the game and you might want to consider just cheating it. It's never been well built in any sense in either game and I don't think there are any mods that make it significantly better in either of them either.