Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dynastocles posted:

My biggest gripe with M&B was that the AI was always blindly charging at you nonstop hacking away, forcing you to walk backward while blocking/hacking back. Made on-foot combat tedious. I'm curious to see if they've improved the AI to get rid of this and add things like AI dodging, pulling back, feinting, etc.

They have. The AI on 'Realistic' now is brutal, and even on lower difficulties jukes and dodges more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It is really strong. I turned it up to try it out and turned it right back down.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kicks are still cool and good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do you mean Good? Combat AI is Poor, Average, and Good. I started with Combat AI on Good and boy howdy they were whooping my rear end at first.

Just making sure I know what you're actually referring to to tweak accordingly.

Good AI on the Realistic difficulty setting. Whips my rear end.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

He's running it upscale from 720 or something.

I'd have mentioned something but what a Karen.

There's a loving 'sharpness' slider in the graphics options. Wonder if he noticed it. :allears:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kylaer posted:

They also got rid of controlling your attack direction based on relative enemy position and the remaining option sucks so badly that I uninstalled and requested a Steam refund.

Clearly there's always a bigger Karen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

smarxist posted:

:tipshat:

i spent about a half hour in training specifically with a 2hander because I'm trying to be a big viking head chopper and you get used to it pretty fast, pretty much everyone is right handed, the back swings and overheads are the most easily telegraphed, the thrust and regular swings are trickier, but probably the toughest is getting your guard down for a thrust. the other thing to keep in mind is that the enemy weapon itself has a pretty small hitbox and dodging manually is VERY feasible, so if you keep your footwork in mind as you move in and go for attacks, you can just dodge a lot of stuff outright

Yeah, I never block low with a twohander, just sidestep and end them rightly with the overhand.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, just be happy they didn't introduce windlass crossbows. Those have a removable winch to pull the string back. Tends to take like a minute to reload. Great in sieges, though.

Also great because they let bowyers switch to metal prods and up the poundage until they could reliably put a bolt through plate at a distance. All nobles must die, after all.

Speaking of which, did you know that there's an 'execute' button if you click on your prisoners under the party screen?

One way to get rid of that one annoying noble who keeps coming back...

Tyler Whitney posted:

There was multiple rounds of closed beta builds of this so I don't know why it wouldn't have been addressed before 'release'

I don't think you understand 'early access' as a concept.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 1, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Elem7 posted:

Am I missing a way to reload during sieges?

I've seen several mentions of killing huge amounts of enemies during sieges with ranged attacks but that doesn't seem to track with the limited amount of ammo. I know in Warband there was usually a chest at the spawn you could go back to and reload but I haven't seen that in this.

As it is with the flawed AI I feel like the sieges really aren't improved at all, they're still just celebrations of jank where the outcome is largely decided by which sides AI glitches out worst. If I was able to reload it'd at least feel like I could make a difference.

There are arrow baskets up on the walls, press f to reload there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Found my new favorite armor.

Riding around with my massive axe baseball batting Khergits out of their saddles all day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, I'm shelving this for a bit myself. The kingdom mechanics need a bunch of work yet, it's not a ton of fun when one kingdom gets on a roll and eats 3/4 of the map, yet you can't actually take any of their lords out of action for more than a couple days without just murdering them all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I cannot overstate how much better two handers feel if you install the swing through mod.

Getting your line stuck in and then flanking around to wade into their archers like mowing wheat is satisfying.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

does it do the same for polearms? the glaive is already a hilarious murder machine, every swing that connects is a dead something, every time. having pass through with my knife-on-a-stick could push that one over in to wildly overpowered territory. totally OK with it for two hand swords though, they always felt lacking.

Yeah, I don't use it for polearms much because of a fatal flaw. Anyone in the arc getting a parry or shield block in the way will stop the swing, so the longer your weapon the more likely it gets blocked.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Turns out Guan Yu and Lu Bu were really on to something with this whole "swing a giant loving stick with a slashy bit at the end of it while riding a horse" thing.

Leverage is one of the fundamental mechanical principals for a reason.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh thank God, they fixed following.

Carvan missions and keeping up with armies are going to be much less annoying.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah, though one thing they could do is add "area of control" around castles so that in chokepoints they could force enemy parties into encounters. Maybe something like that. Would make having a string garrison more useful.

Improved Garrisons mod really helps. It lets you determine the behaviors of your garrisons so your companion parties don't just load them up with recruits, and spawn parties from them to actually chase bandits off and keep the villages attached to your fiefs from being raided by bandits constantly without you hovering over them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

downout posted:

Merc is a pretty laid back with lots of battles. Do some trade on the side with a little blacksmithing mixed in for easy gold. Your faction won't provide you with a fief and you won't get to sway decisions, although that probably a plus for the laid back experience.

I've seen streamers run the bannerlord tweaks mod. It looked like it added some really good QoL changes, but I couldn't get it working with 1.5.7 even tho it is supposed to have compatible versions.

Check your load order. BannerlordTweaks wants to be the last thing loaded and will cause loading crashes if not.

It and Improved Garrisons are the only gameplay changing mods I'm using right now.

Shear Modulus posted:

They probably have someone in their opaque and mysterious simulated battle solver where unique named characters are among the last to get killed/ wounded to try and prevent commanders from dying too much (iirc if the lord leading a party dies but the the party doesn't lose, then the party is just disbanded). so the nobles are only in danger of dying when their party gets wiped, which would in turn be more likely for low tier clans that can only field smaller armies

You see it in regular battles too. Lords no longer charge in first like they did in M&B, and will flee early if their army is losing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's very M&B right now. Patching is proceeding at a quick rate, so stuff changes fast and breaks new and interesting things every time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bltzn posted:

Yes but the point where it is braced is not as if it's welded to the ground. Unless it is very rigidly joined with ground, like half buried like a wooden stake, I think the force of the charge could still knock the spear out of one's hands, depending on how fast the horse was going. A spear with just the tip stuck in soil is not a strong connection. If the connection is weak enough for a human to pull it out, a horse charge could certainly "unbrace" the spear on impact. The energy of the horse is transferred to the spear which could end up getting pushed into the ground further, or it might get pushed out of the ground. Either the spear holder loses their grip, or some of the energy subsequently gets passed into them as well.

Basically, while the horse would take a lot of damage, the spear holder should still take charge damage.

It doesn't matter if you drop a pike when it's three feet deep in a horse. The pike has done its job, and you can pull your sidearm and let the additional people with pikes behind you press forward.

No one is going to run horses into a pike square until they run out of pikes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

What's the point of turning off ranged attack?

Left to their own devices, your archers will start plinking away at extreme range, and unless you've got Fians with their railguns, won't do much damage. A volley at closer range is a lot more effective.

I do the same thing with my javelin armed infantry, tell them to hold fire until the enemy is in range, then fire at will to get a throw off and follow up with a charge or advance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Didn't looters at one point start with something absurd like 270 in throwing?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

All the tavern games are pretty much solved games, there are known solutions to always win.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gentlegoons.

It is beginning.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3075

We will have Bannerlord pike and shotte.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grumpy right now, something about this update has me crashing every time I open the encyclopedia.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Could be mod related, try disabling them if you haven't?

Yeah, I stripped it down to nothing and was still getting the issue. Doing a fresh install now to see if that fixes it. Edit: It did.

I agree on melee friendly fire, my troops swing through each other all the drat time, especially if I use Shield Wall.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 2, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jesus christ, whose bright idea was it to saddle this game with BattleEye?

Talk about instant confirmation that I won't be playing official multiplayer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

You'll want lancers. If they have a bow as their primary, they'll use exclusively unless attacked or out of arrows.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

You can order them to hold fire which switches them to melee. When I last played I had roughly even splits of khan guard, fians, and heavy infantry, and the khan guard pretty admirably served as heavy cavalry after they did the skirmishing thing, I just had to tell them to stop shooting.

Yeah, it's just with the current formation setup it's more difficult to work with than it used to be IMHO. I do like that time slows while you give orders now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gniwu posted:

That, to me, was the most baffling design decision in a very crowded field full of them! I would have understood adding the new automatic assignment system as an option, like they did with the command wheel, but why the hell would you remove functionality from the game?? Training up rookie troops is much more awkward now than it used to be, since you can't just put them all in a separate unit group and have the veterans stand back.

Yeah, I used to use it to segregate my crossbowmen and archers, so the archers could skirmish while the crossbows stayed put so they weren't stopping every three steps to reload.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

Picked this up and so far it seems like it's literally just Warband, feels instantly familiar and like there's not much new I have to learn. All my fights against bandits are already one-sided massacres after only playing for a couple hours, all the old tactics still work just fine.

Do have a couple questions, though. I am noticing in the interface that there's support for multiple groups of troops beyond the four basic infantry/archers/cavalry/horse archers ones - how do I assign troops to those, and is there a way to set it up automatically? Specifically, what I want to do is create a separate infantry group for my pikemen, so I can have a dedicated spear wall formation I can maneuver separately from the rest of the foot troops and use to counter cavalry.

Use the drop down to select a troop type, then the slider to set what percentage of your troops of that type go in the formation. At the lower right is another menu that lets you tell it what kind of skills to favor.

It's way clumsier than the old ability to assign troops to units by type, and frankly strictly inferior tactically.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It says something that they're not even in the default gear rotation for looters.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zesty posted:

In Warband, you capture your adversaries and lock them in the dungeon.

Haven’t gotten into Bannerlord enough, but you can apparently execute folks?

Be aware doing so pisses everyone off, even members of your own faction who have any positive relationship with them. It has never really struck me as worth the hassle compared to just buying them off or stashing them in a dungeon somewhere with a big enough garrison that they'll never escape.

Ravenfood posted:

Caladog sucks, for one thing. It's probably entirely false pattern recognition but he is one of the hardest

Build relations with friendly lords so they are more likely to vote for you. Build relations with Caladog and his family. But also, it seems like the rulers generally try to spread fiefs around fairly evenly in terms of numbers. This means if you get offered another castle and you want a town (say one near a town you already own) you should turn down the castle.

Also if you don't turn up in the running for a fief I'm pretty sure that can be savescummed if you want.

I'm pretty sure Caladog is actually coded to be a rat bastard who's only really interested in the prosperity of himself and his clan. It's kind of hilarious in action if you get in really good with him, he'll keep trying to hand you fiefs against the will of his council just to stay on your good side so you'll let him keep his stack.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 28, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The secret to easy smithing that you get exp from making charcoal. Go someplace that sells hardwood and load up cheap, then click away to level.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm not sure what changed in the most recent update, but now the launcher just crashes on open. I love this busted game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

Bannerlord has far better visuals, improved sieges, a character perks system, smithing, and a host of quality of life improvements. But it doesn't have anything akin to Native Expansion or Pendor.

Warband has tons of great mods, but there's no going back for me. It's dated. I assume/hope that the Bannerlord mod scene eventually closes the gap.

Once TaleWorlds stops breaking major parts of their own code so that conversion moddinng is an impossible hassle I think we'll see some of that come back.