Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Goons Are Gifts)

cruft

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

sorry I didn't mean to make the old draconian days the topic of discussion, I just wanted to know if anyone knew the dark souls LP I was talking about :shobon:

I don't mind at all, I just want to know if I need to get any cards shuffled or figure out how to load HIMEM.SYS or something, because it's gonna take me a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

nut posted:

I remember the fear of posting in the sandcastle

The one time I tried to make an LP everyone in the sandcastle told me it sucked and I never tried again :(

IGgy IGsen

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Rarity posted:

The one time I tried to make an LP everyone in the sandcastle told me it sucked and I never tried again :(

I remember these dark days too. Today they mostly just go :justpost: almost to a fault. But I prefer that to discouraging people from doing a thing that's supposed to be fun.

Lotus Aura

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

sorry I didn't mean to make the old draconian days the topic of discussion, I just wanted to know if anyone knew the dark souls LP I was talking about :shobon:

There's probably more than a couple of threads that got shut down because of Old Rules unfortunately.

I can think of one that sorta used clever tricks and speedrun-ish stuff that probably went unfinished for different reasons, though I can't remember exactly why.

Tenebrais

I'll say one thing for the old draconian rules, we got a culture of much better LP's here now than you get on random youtube channels. Goon LPs do editing and poo poo. It's great.

Y'all should check out the Lobotomy Corporation LP, it's a good one. All screenshots though, in case you're not into that.

IGgy IGsen

I never made a single edit in my LPs it just magically arranged itself that way after uploading.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

I've always wanted to do an LP but I don't know if I'm that interesting :(

Covski

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
hey byob I hope you are good

your friend sk posted:

that hasn't stopped anyone else here, don't worry

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

was it in LP that someone drew us an awesome CYOA in this thread a long time ago? Or was that in a different forum? Maybe the comic books forum? idk. Anyway whoever id that was awesome. There was a big cloud and some trees, and maybe I dreamed this entire thing.

DelilahFlowers

Loving this LP so far. Keep at it!

Ass-penny

Tenebrais posted:

I'll say one thing for the old draconian rules, we got a culture of much better LP's here now than you get on random youtube channels. Goon LPs do editing and poo poo. It's great.

Y'all should check out the Lobotomy Corporation LP, it's a good one. All screenshots though, in case you're not into that.

I'll check it out. Still images are a lot more accessible to me than videos anyway, since I'm almost always listening to music and am loathe to pause it to watch clips of anything.

Jossar

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

your friend sk posted:

The secret i've found, is to do a screenshot LP, because there's much less pressure on you to do an "interesting" running commentary along the game itself and you can plan out writing in advance, which is often times just explaining the game. Maybe with a very slight amount of cleverness involved, unless you're doing a really high end production and need it to be really clever all the time. If I ever get around to doing another one, it'll still be a screenshot LP, no matter the game's genre.

It's also the best of both worlds compared to Traditional Games (where most, but not all of the CYOAs live these days) because you don't need to be constantly making up the next plot thread, like a train that needs to lay its own track. The game goes where it will, and you just need to follow it, while making sure people don't get lost.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 23, 2021

nut

does anyone remember the high school dreams lp or am i 2 old?

RandolphCarter

my favorite lps were the microwave ms paint ones :corsair:

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 23, 2021

Pattonesque
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
hey friends you should check out PoptartsNinja's Let's Play Battletech thread on this here forum it's pretty great

Kaboom Dragoon

The greatest of feasts

nut posted:

I remember the fear of posting in the sandcastle

I remember there used to be a lot of snobs in there who were like 'if your thread, game of choice and sense of humour doesn't align exactly with my particular tastes, then you should log off and hurl yourself off a cliff".

From what I can tell, most of them left permanently for places like Hitbox and were never heard from again :iiam:

Lotus Aura

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

nut posted:

does anyone remember the high school dreams lp or am i 2 old?

Trying to imagine being able to forget Annabellastasia and I simply can't.

That LP was so good too, might have to rewatch it sometime soon now.

bawk

oh hey there byob spaceship, nice to see you passing through. if you haven't been following along for some of the screenshot lps and like the whole dangan-ronpa style visual novel death-game situation but more indie, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906696 Your Turn To Die - Death Game By Majority is a really neat one being developed by a single dude (maybe small team? don't know how much it's changed) that recently released a big update after almost a year of waiting. it's oddly close timing, so if you were following it a while ago and haven't checked on it, there's cool poo poo happening!

nut

Lotus Aura posted:

Trying to imagine being able to forget Annabellastasia and I simply can't.

That LP was so good too, might have to rewatch it sometime soon now.

🥲

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

im going to make a text only LP of my career mode run of tony hawk's pro skater 1+2. here i go:

ok so. i'm in a warehouse of some sort. i am playing as pro skater elissa steamer. i bash through a window but i'm fine. i skate down and do a kickflip over the halfpipe and collect the letter T which was floating there. i go up a quarter pipe and collect the A (i am getting the letters that spell skate.) i come back down and use the speed to go into a secret room and collect a VHS tape. part two coming soon

the holy poopacy

hey! check this out

Jossar posted:

The secret i've found, is to do a screenshot LP, because there's much less pressure on you to do an "interesting" running commentary along the game itself and you can plan out writing in advance, which is often times just explaining the game. Maybe with a very slight amount of cleverness involved, unless you're doing a really high end production and need it to be really clever all the time. If I ever get around to doing another one, it'll still be a screenshot LP, no matter the game's genre.

It's also the best of both worlds compared to Traditional Games (where most, but not all of the CYOAs live these days) because you don't need to be constantly making up the next plot thread, like a train that needs to lay its own track. The game goes where it will, and you just need to follow it, while making sure people don't get lost.

yeah I will read the hell out of any screenshot LPs that anyone here starts

Son of Thunderbeast

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

im going to make a text only LP of my career mode run of tony hawk's pro skater 1+2. here i go:

ok so. i'm in a warehouse of some sort. i am playing as pro skater elissa steamer. i bash through a window but i'm fine. i skate down and do a kickflip over the halfpipe and collect the letter T which was floating there. i go up a quarter pipe and collect the A (i am getting the letters that spell skate.) i come back down and use the speed to go into a secret room and collect a VHS tape. part two coming soon

Subscribed

Ass-penny

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

I played enough of that level I can picture this very clearly.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

rear end-penny posted:

I played enough of that level I can picture this very clearly.

i've played thru it so many times i can get every tape in a single run with any character :haw:

nine-gear crow
Welcome back to Let's Play, BYOB space travelers!

Stoner Sloth

LP is another good forum, hi again folks! excellent piloting GaG even if i'm pretty sure you use one of those 'drinking birds' to steer us

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

my favorite LP is the one about zizek and baseball

that one was great!

thecluckmeme posted:

oh hey there byob spaceship, nice to see you passing through. if you haven't been following along for some of the screenshot lps and like the whole dangan-ronpa style visual novel death-game situation but more indie, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906696 Your Turn To Die - Death Game By Majority is a really neat one being developed by a single dude (maybe small team? don't know how much it's changed) that recently released a big update after almost a year of waiting. it's oddly close timing, so if you were following it a while ago and haven't checked on it, there's cool poo poo happening!

been following this for awhile now, good to see the new stuff come out - not the usual style of game i play but have very much enjoyed it thus far!

bawk

Stoner Sloth posted:

been following this for awhile now, good to see the new stuff come out - not the usual style of game i play but have very much enjoyed it thus far!

if you like that one, you might also like Omori. It was another indie game that was forever in development that came out a few months ago, and the LP for it hits all the high notes of the story while cutting out most of the combat uninteresting stuff. It's that same kinda very-happy but also definitely gutpunching sad, but those two LPs are the ones I like the most and probably skate under the radar unless you check LP every day

while the spaceship goes past, what's some stuff byob would tell LP to check out?

biosterous

thecluckmeme posted:

if you like that one, you might also like Omori. It was another indie game that was forever in development that came out a few months ago, and the LP for it hits all the high notes of the story while cutting out most of the combat uninteresting stuff. It's that same kinda very-happy but also definitely gutpunching sad, but those two LPs are the ones I like the most and probably skate under the radar unless you check LP every day

while the spaceship goes past, what's some stuff byob would tell LP to check out?

nuthatch thread, 100%. my absolute favourite (from last fall, at least)

like, when i was a kid and played neopets, there would sometimes be special events that included a lot of puzzles, but i could never figure anything out so i didn't really get to enjoy them as much as i wanted

nuthatch thread reminded me a lot of those events except now i can actually solve puzzles and i had so much fun

Vim Fuego
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
space love, not war

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Obnoxious sig is obnoxious!! User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Don’t post with your signature on or whatever the hell that was. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Knock it off with the obnoxious signature. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

So this is just going to be a regular thing, huh? User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Vim cut it out with the sig shit

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You've been asked multiple times not to turn your sig on. I recognize it's different elsewhere but stop doing it here. User loses posting privileges for 3 days.

Genesplicer posted:

Has been asked multiple times to turn that long signature off in GBS. User loses posting privileges for 1 week.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Stop posting with your extra annoying signature in GBS. The mods and IKs have asked you nicely.

So if you do it again, I will probe you for 2 months everytime you do it. Its not funny and makes other people's forum experience worse. I'll give you a week to think about it.
Kibayasu

What an oddly coloured spaceship this is.

Qtotonibudinibudet

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Rarity posted:

Like a lot of people LP is what got me into SA. My favourite forum memory is the Tipping 40s going 30 minutes to be one-hit away from killing Yunalesca only to be wiped by a poorly timed Mega-Death :laugh:

yo, gently caress bandunk

Weeble
I have no idea what this is, but it sure is interesting.

Mostly I'm just enjoying the corner hammock-kitten.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

I heard that way back when dark souls was new someone tried to do an LP and they were doing some yet-unheard-of speedrun strats, running past enemies, dashing for specific weapons, etc, and the LP thread got closed for not doing it right. Is that real and if so does anyone have a link because i want to see

Was it this one?

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
also hell yah the BYOB Spaceship is back! I am glad gag accepted my haiku invite.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

cruft posted:

These folks seem a lot more chill than the Imp Zone.

I still want to know what we're gonna play, though. Unless... we're already playing it? :iiam:

What do you want to play? LP takes requests! (We have a thread for it and everything)

Son of Thunderbeast

I don't think so, but I'm reading the thread and watching the videos anyway. His videos aren't bad and his youtube channel has nearly 29K subscribers now, good for him!

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Sally posted:

What do you want to play?

Parcheesi :kiddo:

TeeQueue

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Welcome to Let's Play, mysterious spaceship! Glad to be in on the ground floor of one of these at last. :allears:

Jossar posted:

The secret i've found, is to do a screenshot LP, because there's much less pressure on you to do an "interesting" running commentary along the game itself and you can plan out writing in advance, which is often times just explaining the game. Maybe with a very slight amount of cleverness involved, unless you're doing a really high end production and need it to be really clever all the time.

High end productions can and will drive you a little bit mad, for the record.

I would recommend checking out the Gnosia LP while you're here-it's a very interesting game that deserves more attention! I'm also the author of the Lobotomy Corp one that got mentioned upthread, and since it's three updates away from ending this is the last chance to slam through an entire thread in three days and hit the end without the end being the actual end. :v:

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh you don't want to be on the ground floor of the spaceship, that's where the ants and bees live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen

Which one is the floor with the plants and birds? That one seems like I'd be nice to just hang out in.