Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Yeah I’ll be bad in this game too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
##action Sandwolf

Hello friends, I will succeed at this game because I usually don’t know what I’m doing, so I’m used to it

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Eat The Rich posted:

What's this button do?

##action Steak

Rich are you scum, as a fellow rich person hater you have to tell me

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Someone make me and ETR confirmed masons

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
##vote gamer

You fell perfectly into my gambit, idiot.

Lunch all liars

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
##vote Steak

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

flerp posted:

c u all tmrw

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I can’t believe the scum team is Sand/Bif/Steak what a disaster

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

What the duck is up my people? This is evening quarantine AA, yes... I've been drinking, so what?

Who's scum, why isn't it me and why is it you?

I already named the scum team please pay attention

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Mr. Steak posted:

i find it funny that a bunch of people voted me for the functional equivalent of "wait until later in the day to fire your lurker gun"

Yeah it was about 20 peeps that voted for you

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Gamerofthegame posted:

fool

the pantry mafia game is the other one!!!

##vote ypm

what if it's you? how would you know!!!!

I think Gamer is ~~manufacturing content~~ and doesn’t believe this case smh bag him and tag him

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
How do I vote two people at once

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

So who is scum for real?

Mr. Steak posted:

i find it funny that a bunch of people voted me for the functional equivalent of "wait until later in the day to fire your lurker gun"

I honestly think this is a scum post. Note that at the time Steak wrote this, two people had voted him for saying he wanted to wait (hum voted him earlier for running grudge reasons I guess). It reads as scum who is over exaggerating the danger they are in.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Do NOT insult my friend AA, who is an angel

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Sand please shoot Bif she asked a question

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
The idea that anyone who used their action substantively thought about it is absurd

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I refuse to keep up

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Dragonatrix posted:

YPM and Amni both voting for Steak for opting to not even try his action was a little odd I guess, but hard to call them serious or anything. Amni made his obvious at least by unvoting once jokephase ended.

Bif's argument is so weak that I can't see someone putting it forth at all if they're scum. It's not even remotely convincing and it's more like just trying to grasp at anything for a serious case.

Can't blame her for that either; the game has been moving fairly slowly thus far.

The initial vote was a joke, current vote is real

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Amnistar posted:

Okay, rereading the thread and I'm gonna ##vote YPM

Their posts are superficial and it's hard to parse what is actual content vs. what is a joke. To the point that they voted for steak (as a joke?) but then it's a real vote? And they voted for gamer because they were manufacturing content, but it was a joke? but maybe it wasn't?

Hey friend I didn’t vote gamer for the manufacturing content bit.

Also, look deep inside yourself. Are you really confused about the gamer manufacturing content thing? Do you really think I looked at gamer making what amounted to a lunch pun, and said to myself, “This is it. I’m going to lunch gamer. I’m going to get everyone to get rid of gamer on the back of my “he voted me for saying that the pantry mafia game was in another thread” case.

You are reaching and I don’t think you actually did a reread.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Mr. Steak posted:

what changed?

I explained it already, you overreacted to the joke votes.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Amnistar posted:

Sorry was I being unclear?

I am not confused by what you are saying, I am pointing out that you are ping pinging between joking and not joking to avoid making actual firm stances you can be held accountable to in the future.

What stances would you like me to clarify so that I may properly be held accountable?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Mr. Steak posted:

oh yeah. i remember now.

your case is that "a bunch" cannot possibly mean two people

You know, I looked back at that post, I don’t think I actually said that my case was only that you incorrectly used the phrase “a bunch”

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Your Personal Muse posted:

You know, I looked back at that post, I don’t think I actually said that my case was only that you incorrectly used the phrase “a bunch”

A fun fact: if you had said “two people” instead of “a bunch”, my case would be the same, if not stronger. You still took the time to defuse two joke votes.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Mr. Steak posted:

drat, try making your case without being an rear end in a top hat about it

I’m not sure how I was an rear end in a top hat, I was refuting your straw man argument. If I insulted you without realizing it, I’m sorry, truly, I don’t want mafia to become unpleasant and I would appreciate if you pointed out what I did to attack you that was unwarranted so I can rectify it in the future.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Mr. Steak posted:

i thought you were doing it on purpose, so im sorry for jumping the gun. i didnt feel personally insulted, just talked down to.

like, the "fun fact" and "actually, i reread my post and i don't think i said that" came off as unnecessary ways to say "i disagree with that take". like, did you actually go reread your own post before writing that, and then come to the newfound conclusion that your case was not exactly what i said...?

I did do it on purpose to try and point out that you were misrepresenting my case. I don’t think I have to be constrained to just saying I disagree with you, especially when it looks like you are intentionally and in bad faith distorting my case.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
##unvote I no longer think Steak is scum. I disagree with his analysis that scum wouldn’t overreact to joke votes, since I think scum tend exaggerate the danger they are in, and I generally hate meta self defenses but I liked the cool down and the response was genuine.

Amnistar posted:

You have now, since pressure has been applied, taken a firmer stance that is accountable, but that does not change the fact that you behaved the way you did.

What pressure? I promise you that I would have played the exact same way regardless, even without the one vote based on a flimsy case. The only reason I’m responding to the case is because I think it’s fabricated, and I’m trying to figure out whether it’s because you are town trying to generate content day 1 or scum looking for a place to park their vote.

I still don’t know exactly what stances you thought I was trying to waffle on. I made the transition from joke to real vote very clear. So, what stances do you think I was

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Mr. Steak posted:

wait, solus is in the game??

##vote solus lurker kill

drat, right after I unvoted him Steak did me dirty like this

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I hate anyone who popped into say “wow Bif and YPM are both town because they made bad cases ~~crazy~~ bye”

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Steak give us some scum reads so I feel better about unvoting you, you have mechanics talk and a lurker vote so far

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Amnistar posted:

People talking about your posting is pressure. Pressure is not always votes.

Talking is only pressure if there is real worry from the target, otherwise it’s empty talk. There was literally zero threat from your case. Stop avoiding my question. You said I was slipping in and out of joke phase so that I could avoid scrutiny on my stances. What stances were those?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Amnistar posted:

Being disengenious about what I am saying is a also scummy. I have already said what the things you were doing were, what stances you seemed to be joking and then not joking about.

Ok but I didn’t vote for Gamer with the manufactured content thing. Again, do you really believe that anyone would say that was a serious case? That I was seriously casing him for making a lunch pun?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Your Personal Muse posted:

Ok but I didn’t vote for Gamer with the manufactured content thing. Again, do you really believe that anyone would say that was a serious case? That I was seriously casing him for making a lunch pun?

To clarify, you said I didn’t make a distinction between joke votes and serious votes and used my gamer vote and steak vote as examples. Let’s ignore that I didn’t actually vote gamer for what you said I voted for him for. When you made the case on me, I had explicitly said that my Steak vote was real due to his follow up, so I’m not sure who I could have theoretically wiggled out of that one. And I really don’t see how I could have used the gamer case to my advantage.

Can someone else comment on Amin’s case?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Amnistar posted:

I think you were 'joking' until such time as someone called you out on it, and then were going to stick with it, like you did with steak.

When did someone call me out on Steak?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, I think you got a good point here. I'm just not feeling as all fired up about it like I am about my own case on Hum. I could still see this as a possibly town Amni making mistakes by working off vague memories instead of triple checking everything. As opposed to Hum where I can't see at all how a townie would give me the kind of responses he's given.

But like I said, I only see it as possibly town Amni. This is worth pushing and pressuring Amni about, and I would help out with voting Amnistar if he was a lunch candidate today.

I would tend to agree that this is town working off vague memories, but Amni specifically said it was a result of a reread.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Amnistar posted:

I was looking at the "We got him, he's scum" and "How do I vote for 2 people" comments as posts that can be jokes, or not, based on what people respond to them.

I assume we got him, he’s scum, is referring to when I listed the scum team, because otherwise I don’t know what you are talking about unless I missed a post. Those two posts are not what you mentioned in your initial case. Instead, you mentioned only my Steak and Gamer votes (of which one wasn’t actually a vote). In addition, my first serious post, which was clearly delineated, was AFTER those two posts so I you can’t say I was drifting in and out of joke phase for those two posts.

Plus, you could say that about literally any post in joke phase

##vote Amni your case is fabricated and you are digging in a way that isn’t town trying to generate content.

I don’t like the Solus lunch and that ETR post was awful

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Amnistar posted:

I called this out initially and you even responded that you didn't vote for Gamer with the post...so like...I'm confused why you're pulling a gotcha here.

It’s not a gotcha I have just seen enough to conclude you don’t actually believe the case. And again, how can you look at that post, where I said that gamer was manufacturing content because he made a lunch pun by referencing pantry mafia, and conclude that I could make a real case out of it in a vacuum?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

spacing in vienna posted:

I can't tell if this post feels scummy to me because I disagree with it, or if it feels scummy to me because I'm not sure that you believe all of it. But it's ringing some bells.

How are words alone pressure when there is zero threat behind those words? It annoys me that Amni is pretending like I couldn’t possibly just go after Steak because I thought something was there, no, it has to be because of the immense ~~pressure~~ I felt from his case which boils down to making some jokes

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Gamerofthegame posted:

this entire game is making words and using those words to make people vote with you

how is that not inherently pressure that'd dumb as hell

Because pressure requires legitimate threat behind those words. You can attempt to apply pressure, but you won’t always succeed.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

spacing in vienna posted:

Ok the pressure thing might just be a difference of opinion, then, because I feel like there's an implicit threat in all the words of this game. Townies and scum make cases, people are swayed, and then lunches happen.

I wasn't talking about pressure in the context of whether or not you were feeling it, as amni implied, but rather whether or not words count as pressure, and I think they do.

I guess in my mind, there has to be some effect on the recipient for it to be pressure. If I had announced at the beginning of day 0 that I was a n0 cop and I had a scum result on Amni, there’s no pressure even though I said words that could conceivably result in Amni’s lunch. The game literally doesn’t allow for that claim, everyone knows it’s false. There’s no pressure

But that has nothing to do with actual scum hunting. What do you think about Amni’s case on me, semantics aside? I think Amni fabricated the case. Compared to Sandwolf’s suspicion of me, which I believe for now, I just don’t see how someone could look at the posts in context and think that I was setting up outs for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Sandwolf posted:

Those posts aren’t the reason I’m slightly suspicious of you, YPM, and I do agree with you that I think they’re a little bit extrapolating from your posts.

Though I think in total this attempt to figure out what pressure is is largely a waste of time

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to suggest that you agreed with Amni’s case, I meant that I believe you when you say that you find my posting style in general is scummy.

When you say they are extrapolating, are you referring to Amni? And do you think it’s a town or a scum extrapolation?