Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I vaguely recall this twitter exchange potentially even popping up in this thread, but I love this new twist:
https://twitter.com/river_is_nice/status/1486209443129970688?s=20
An actual Langley ghoul popped in to say "nuh uh!" to the joke about how escalating tension with Russia was in service of the Military Industrial Complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I just realized this plan involves driving ground troops through Canada. I really hop this Ukraine dumb bullshit doesn't cause a hot war with Russia, but if it does, the only reason we'd drive troop through Canada is to fight someone in Canada. If we're gonna invade Russia it's gonna be through boats and planes.

Siberia is a bigger problem. The Bering Strait bridge/tunnel mega project gets discussed every now and then, linking Alaska with Russia. A big challenge is that even if you manage to build the bridge, and have a use case for it, you’re thousands of miles from any kind of useful infrastructure in Russia. In an area that is incredibly harsh, even by Russian standards.

Edit: called this the Barents Sea, I always get the two (ok three if you include Baltic) mixed up.

Capt.Whorebags has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Jan 27, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

Maybe now, but he hadn't even written "twelve rules for life" until he was already famous for his opposition to canada's expansion of it's harassment laws to include misgendering people. As far as I can tell, the timeline is something like:
June 2017: canada passes bill c 17, expanding harassment laws to include misgendering people.
Jordan Peterson gets international media attention for his mischaracterization of and opposition to this bill, becomes darling of the alt right.
2018-2021: Jordan Peterson begins making GBS threads out smooth brained takes on self improvement and political correctness gone mad, transphobes slurp it up out of intellectual inadequacy.
Maybe some folks get swept up in his politics after just looking for self improvement, especially since his is packaged in a way acceptable for insecure young men, but no one ever heard of him before 2017.

I remember the first time I ever properly heard of Jorps he was having a heaving meltdown on Twitter about the psychosexual lesbian empowerment politics of the hit Disney children's movie Frozen, and I then went "Wait, is that that U of T professor who got fired for intentionally misgendering trans students like an rear end in a top hat or something?"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember the first time I ever properly heard of Jorps he was having a heaving meltdown on Twitter about the psychosexual lesbian empowerment politics of the hit Disney children's movie Frozen, and I then went "Wait, is that that U of T professor who got fired for intentionally misgendering trans students like an rear end in a top hat or something?"

Right, which was when he hopped into the alt-right grift. I'd always understood he'd published some of his pop-psych self help books and they'd just never sold until he became a grifter. Like Maps of Meaning (the book with the dumb chaos dragon poo poo) was from 1999.
At one point he was even heavily cited in his field. That's one of the talking points used to pretend he's not a moron and his 'Joseph Campbell but from wish' shtick should be taken seriously.
I'd always been under the impression that he was an academic who wanted to be a Dr. Oz sort, so when the time was right made a big deal of destroying his academic career to build his grift, but I guess he might've just been a crank who got lucky and found a parachute after jumping out of the plane.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Jan 27, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1486328060538466311?s=20

I think this is the first thing I saw him in speaking wise.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Coolness Averted posted:

I vaguely recall this twitter exchange potentially even popping up in this thread, but I love this new twist:
https://twitter.com/river_is_nice/status/1486209443129970688?s=20
An actual Langley ghoul popped in to say "nuh uh!" to the joke about how escalating tension with Russia was in service of the Military Industrial Complex.

that dude is prime thread material, he was one of the first ~woke intel community~ perverts to really go ham with posting and poo poo and all his stuff is the most cringe rear end 'can you imagine a country where a foreign power interferes with the democratic process? I, a literal CIA operative, can't' russiagate poo poo and general 'saying the military has any agenda is propaganda and conspiracy theory'.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

sexpig by night posted:

that dude is prime thread material, he was one of the first ~woke intel community~ perverts to really go ham with posting and poo poo and all his stuff is the most cringe rear end 'can you imagine a country where a foreign power interferes with the democratic process? I, a literal CIA operative, can't' russiagate poo poo and general 'saying the military has any agenda is propaganda and conspiracy theory'.

his name is also just guy incognito translated back n forth a few times

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
holy gently caress I never realized 'sipher' is just 'cypher', what a loving dink

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Name's Bill. Bill Codename.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/BadLegalTakes/status/1486512330305261569

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1486328060538466311?s=20

I think this is the first thing I saw him in speaking wise.
I've grown to hate this clip because his defenders will use it to show how RATIONAL and OPEN MINDED he is. "Isn't it better to have someone who actually listens to arguments and changes his mind with new evidence?" they'll say.
Except he didn't change his mind. He said this in the interview and immediately continued believing all his dumb horseshit, saying the same stupid things, and pushing the same idiot agenda. He ducked a question and feigned humility and didn't change a loving thing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm certain China would simply adore having America marching their troops across a frozen barren wasteland for a week within strike distance of their northern border. It would be like a real life Civ game, you get too close to the AI when you're only one aggression point away from them declaring war and loving you up. What could go wrong?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Grem posted:

Name's Bill. Bill Codename.

Hi, I’m Jeff Spye

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Nice to meet you, I'm Bob Mole

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Splicer posted:

One leads to the other

there are other ways to get warm

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

I've grown to hate this clip because his defenders will use it to show how RATIONAL and OPEN MINDED he is. "Isn't it better to have someone who actually listens to arguments and changes his mind with new evidence?" they'll say.
Except he didn't change his mind. He said this in the interview and immediately continued believing all his dumb horseshit, saying the same stupid things, and pushing the same idiot agenda. He ducked a question and feigned humility and didn't change a loving thing.
Hit back with this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGIU0FtXr9o
Or the transcript https://www.tvo.org/transcript/883508/jordan-peterson-on-slaying-the-dragon-within-us

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jorp is obsessed with lobsters, rogan looks like a boiled lobster, they're a match made in heaven.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another fun Jorp thing was that one time where he was giving a long interview to the NYT (or something similarly high-profile) and basically went "society would be better if we mandated monogamy again and ensured every man had a girlfriend/wife, so that unfuckable men wouldn't be sad about being alone anymore". That one went over like a lead balloon, to the point where I'd say it was probably the point where mainstream opinion of him started swinging around from "rising star philosopher" to "weird reactionary crank". Even his ardent supporters can't muster up any defense better than "he just said it would be better, not that we should actually do it".

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Jan 27, 2022

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Perestroika posted:

Another fun Jorp thing was that one time where he was giving a long interview to the NYT (or something similarly high-profile) and basically went "society would be better if we mandated monogamy again and ensured every man had a girlfriend/wife, so that unfuckable men wouldn't be sad about being alone anymore". That one went over like a lead balloon, to the point where I'd say it was probably the point where mainstream opinion of him started swinging around from "rising star philosopher" to "weird reactionary crank". Even his ardent supporters can muster up any defense better than "he just said it would be better, not that we should actually do it".

if i recall the interviewer was a woman, so they directed all the faults of the interview against her instead for the crime of asking questions in an interview

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Another thing his fanboys tend to gloss over is his overt Christianity fawning, which doesn’t really jive well with the edgelord atheist incel section of his fan base.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Coolness Averted posted:

It flowed both ways -especially once Jorp realized he could get in on the grift train.
There are alt-right assholes who came for the regressive politics and stayed for the self-help stuff and there are alienated folks who came for the self-help and got pulled into the regressive politics.

I refuse to believe that is the case. I'm guessing you (understandably) haven't read any of his books, but he's somehow even worse at writing than he is at public speaking, and there is no actual self-help to be found in his books.

The infamous "clean your room" chapter is actually titled "set your house in order before you challenge the world" or some such bunk, and it's just a hot mess of random bible quotes, stories of ancient rulers who got shanked by a courtier, and intrusive thoughts about how happiness isn't real and no one is ever actually happy and other people are just pretending. The closest thing to advice that can be gleaned from that chapter is "don't leave your flank exposed, like, in life."

There's also a chapter about being a good listener that is just a long diatribe about one of his clients who he concludes is a dumb bitch with no thoughts or inner life worth responding to, and a chapter about being concise which is yet another long aimless rant.

It is regressive politics all the way down. No one has read a jorp book and gotten their poo poo together.

E:

BigglesSWE posted:

Another thing his fanboys tend to gloss over is his overt Christianity fawning, which doesn’t really jive well with the edgelord atheist incel section of his fan base.

Oh no, that's by design. Jorp's brand is specifically selling evangelical christianity to internet atheists, and bridging the gap between two groups who have everything in common.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Jan 27, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

a chapter about being concise which is yet another long aimless rant.

lmao, glorious

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you ever find yourself watching one of his 4-hour videos for some reason, always keep in mind that one of his vaunted 12 Rules is “Be Precise in Your Speech,” verbatim.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Not sure what level of brain take this is because galaxy doesn't even begin to describe it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Not sure what level of brain take this is because galaxy doesn't even begin to describe it

Remember that meme that was like "Trump gets impeached, resigns, Pence becomes president, appoints Trump VP, resigns, libs owned"

It's even stupider than that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/MaggieMaeFish/status/1486449093144576001

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Heath posted:

Remember that meme that was like "Trump gets impeached, resigns, Pence becomes president, appoints Trump VP, resigns, libs owned"

It's even stupider than that

It's pro wrestling fantasy booking, but for politics.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
What about one where Trump and pence get impeached/resign, Pelosi becomes president, chooses Clinton for vp, Pelosi resigns, Hilary wins.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There was fanfic on like November 10, 2016 about Orrin Hatch appointing Hillary president

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BigglesSWE posted:

The new hotness for edgelord incels is tradcath, atheism is too commie

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sa is running away from atheism because of association with neckbeards, neckbeards are running away from atheism because of association with commies. it's like that story with the combs

meanwhile religious institutions are laughing all the way to the bank, taking money, treating women like objects, propping up fascists, and diddling kids

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communism is stored in the beard and both power my atheism.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I have Beard Depression

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
brb, putting in a request to increase my prescribed Brozac dosage.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/sea_trains/status/1486737990516936709?s=20

Happy anniversary to all the completely stupid takes about how buying stock is the Revolution

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was expecting that to be more along the lines of "playing video games is praxis"

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Buying AMC was the bread riot, BBBY was the revolution, and holding strong on GME is getting brained by an ice pick

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

hawowanlawow posted:

sa is running away from atheism because of association with neckbeards, neckbeards are running away from atheism because of association with commies. it's like that story with the combs

meanwhile religious institutions are laughing all the way to the bank, taking money, treating women like objects, propping up fascists, and diddling kids

AFAIK most or even all major religions have been seeing huge drops in attendance and general membership for decades now

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
The internet did more for atheism than atheists on the internet did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm certain China would simply adore having America marching their troops across a frozen barren wasteland for a week within strike distance of their northern border. It would be like a real life Civ game, you get too close to the AI when you're only one aggression point away from them declaring war and loving you up. What could go wrong?

Eh, I think China wouldn't mind a hot war between the US AND Russia, as long as we didn't nuke anything super close to their border.