Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Data Graham posted:

I wonder whether Kitchen Nightmares made this better or worse. He set out to shame the Amy's Baking Companys of the world and probably a whole generation of viewers looked at it and said "Well I would do it better than that, I know what I'm doing :smuggo:"

I mean while we're on the topic of people taking the wrong lesson from media

When I was a lawyer the firm had a lot of small business owner clients. I highly suspect the self confidence and self assuredness necessary to take the risk of starting your own business selects for the overconfident, narcissists, and sociopaths.

I also think being the biggest fish in a tiny rear end pond reenforces an unrealistic expectations about the power and authority they wield over others who's paychecks they don't sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

I still haven't gotten over that video of a seagull eating an entire rabbit without chewing.

Absolutely majestic birds.

There was also the Pelican that swallowed a pigeon :v:

Feliday Melody has a new favorite as of 15:06 on May 14, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

OwlFancier posted:

I still haven't gotten over that video of a seagull eating an entire rabbit without chewing.

They also eat rats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLuOKHHQ5i4

EDIT: And flying rats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRPTBhmcyXY

RatHat has a new favorite as of 15:04 on May 14, 2021

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It's a thankful thing that the larger albatrosses don't come around civilization too often, because if you've never seen one in person, imagine a seagull built like a thanksgiving turkey with a 3.5m wingspan. When we were down working out in the Southern Ocean and thereabouts they'd always be circling the ship, and when they'd swoop by you when you were standing out on the rails, or passing across your office window, it's like some land of the lost poo poo. They're so much bigger than a flying bird should be. And I can't imagine their manners would be much better than a gull.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't know what "those who work forces" meant but I definitely got the impression that they did not think burning crosses was a good thing.

The machine against which they are raging is not the vending machine.

https://twitter.com/howfink/status/1270420330046279683?lang=en

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Regarde Aduck posted:

hatred of canadian geese is like hatred of seagulls: arbitrary. People just decide they have a RACIAL HATRED: GEESE modifier and then spend the rest of their life complaining about them

uh, no, i hate seagulls because they're loud and make it a pain in the rear end to have a picnic on the beach, and i hate canadian geese because they're so overpopulated that there are like four months out of the year where i can't rollerskate on the sidewalks because they're an inch deep in grassy goose shits

neither of these are arbitrary and both are pretty obvious to anyone that goes outside in places where these birds are present

e: i got stuck at an intersection for three minutes yesterday as a flock of geese slowly waddled the gently caress across the road in front of the car in front of me and it's not even that uncommon of an occurrence, i gotta ask if you even know the definition of the word "arbitrary"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Geese are a great example of setting a personal boundary and then enforcing it. It's kind of difficult when that boundary is "this sidewalk is mine because my wife's sitting on our children over there and NONE SHALL PASS" but I can respect it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

hatred of canadian geese is like hatred of seagulls: arbitrary. People just decide they have a RACIAL HATRED: GEESE modifier and then spend the rest of their life complaining about them

Clearly you don't have to deal with the fuckers on a regular basis. Seagull are fine, a little annoying at times but generally fine.

Canadian Geese? gently caress those monster birds. poo poo everywhere, and lord help you if they decide they want to gently caress with you. I'm a tall dude and I've had Canadian geese try to start poo poo with me a couple of times. Why? Because I was walking down a path in the park and they apparently didn't like that.

Canadian Geese loving suck

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should have gotten out of your car and started a fight with the geese, that would have improved the situation.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Maybe it's a factor of where I live, but I take being inconvenienced by wildlife within city limits as a fact of life. You laugh it off.

Better a goose than a moose. Now, those are ornery, and can easily kill me. I still go, "oh my god there's a moose and a pair of calves in the parking lot, that's cool but I'm going to park waaaaaay over here."

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I'm stealing this from someone else, but I don't remember who.

RATM at 15: This loving rocks
RATM at 25: It's good music but their politics are a little simplistic
RATM at 35: You know what some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses

The word 'some' is so optimistic, I feel.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i just like animals i guess

they're jerks sometimes but i appreciate the attitude. It's how they survive. Millions of years of evolutionary pressure has steered them towards being hilarious assholes. I think its glorious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Regarde Aduck posted:

they're jerks sometimes but i appreciate the attitude. It's how they survive. Millions of years of evolutionary pressure has steered them towards being hilarious assholes. I think its glorious.

More specifically, most American bitching about Canadian Geese is because they're here for nesting season, and most birds are territorial jerks during nesting season. They migrate back home for the winter.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

When I was a lawyer the firm had a lot of small business owner clients. I highly suspect the self confidence and self assuredness necessary to take the risk of starting your own business selects for the overconfident, narcissists, and sociopaths.

I also think being the biggest fish in a tiny rear end pond reenforces an unrealistic expectations about the power and authority they wield over others who's paychecks they don't sign.

No disrespect to anyone who owns a business, a lot of you are great people. But there certainly is a subset of small business owners who are only small business owners because they simply can’t not be in charge and are too huge of assholes to be employable by anyone else.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Agreed!

We also went and built all this poo poo in their way, and if that means occasionally I have to stop on the road because some deer are crossing, or a young bald eagle is eating roadkill and is reluctant to abandon lunch, or beavers doing beaver things cause an internet outage, then that's just kind of how it pans out, you know?

Mostly it's just funny to me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cythereal posted:

More specifically, most American bitching about Canadian Geese is because they're here for nesting season, and most birds are territorial jerks during nesting season. They migrate back home for the winter.

there are resident non-migratory flocks of aggressive canadian geese in every place i've ever lived in the USA and have been for literally nearly a century at this point

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

letthereberock posted:

No disrespect to anyone who owns a business, a lot of you are great people. But there certainly is a subset of small business owners who are only small business owners because they simply can’t not be in charge and are too huge of assholes to be employable by anyone else.

Having extensive experience with small business owners I'd be willing to bet these people are, if not a majority, a plurality of them.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

I bought a condo after it had been empty for a year and moved in. Canada Geese had set up their home on my patio and I couldn't use it for 6 months because they'd hiss at me every time I went near it. I had to scrub the hell out of it after they left for the Summer to get all the poo poo off of it. Later, one was sitting on a path and lunged at me when I tried to go by and I hit my head on a tree branch in front of a cute neighbor. I hate those fuckers.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1131194780896120832?s=20

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Having extensive experience with small business owners I'd be willing to bet these people are, if not a majority, a plurality of them.

I worked at a family-owned pool/hot tub store for a while, and they were the most dysfunctional, hosed up people. None of them seemed to like each other. Dad yelled at everyone and drank in the back of the shop. Mom was aggressively passive aggressive and would actively lecture you in front of customers about things that had nothing to do with you. The son had so many DUIs he had a breathalyser in his truck, but this didn't seem to stop him showing up at customers' homes drunk. The eldest daughter went into labour and got yelled at by her mother for leaving work to give birth. The youngest daughter got shat on by everyone for divorcing her abusive husband, and was actively called the stupid one. When the woman who did all the signage and ads retired (a really lovely person who got fed up and went to devote herself to her art full time), on her last day she was told by mom and daughter to "train Robo to use Photoshop, she's good with computers and she can take over," despite my computer skills being entirely not in the graphic design department. Months later I got an angry lecture in the backroom for being insubordinate when I pointed out that I know absolutely nothing about graphic design, I got a stepsister who went to school for three years to learn this poo poo, and I am absolutely not capable of the level of skill they expected without any training or guidance, which they weren't going to give me.

They also hired several Filipino workers through the temporary foreign workers program (one in the shop, and TWO nannies because they kept getting in trouble for not giving their nanny a day off ever, and I found out much later that poor Pablito kept getting taken to work for twelve hour days out of town and then being paid for eight), refused to pay overtime (like it was a personal choice of theirs to not do that), and deducted lunch hours from paycheques while also refusing to let people take lunch. I escaped a lot of the pay bullshit because I was willing to counter "we don't pay overtime here" with "then I won't work more than forty hours," but I still worked there way longer than I should have.

I would love to see any of these people live off a fast food job for a year. They'd never make the cut.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I live at the furthest point from the sea so seagulls are a other people problem, however I have to cycle through Canadian geese to get to the nearest shopping centre (mall) and Canadian geese are why puncture protection plays such a large role in my life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

an idiot posted:

"I have unlimited money to blow on Teslas. If you take away my Tesla, I will get another Tesla. That's how it works," Sharma said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-fsd-back-seat-driving-stunt-arrested-buys-new-car-2021-5

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Gosling's are so adorable I'll gladly be hissed at, rushed and stalked out of a goose's territory for the off chance of seeing a proud goose parent guiding their babies.

What is infuriating is that they are easy to manage via wooden cutouts of predators, not aggressively hunting foxes and coyotes, and allowing limited game hunting, but instead are made a nuisance by protecting them despite no conservation concern and not being a national or regional bird.

Also the recommendation for not provoking them is "face them with your body and stare them in the eye" which is pretty counter-intuitive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THat makes sense for Bird Language - they normally try to puff themselves up to seem bigger, so if you just face them down they'll probably realise in their own way like "Look, step off bitch, check my wingspan and..... you... clearly still 3 times my size despite the wingspan... so... never mind... i'm gonna go over there now....."

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's the system working as intended. The richer you are, the fewer laws you have to follow

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Clearly Douche Wolf 89 has been hypnotised by a goose.

Think of the variety of other adorable water chicks we would see if those aggressive bastards hadn’t chased them away and put them at risk!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The way to assert dominance over geese as well as humans is to T pose at them.

Also acceptable is the "well what is it" gesture from dark souls.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

learnincurve posted:

Clearly Douche Wolf 89 has been hypnotised by a goose.

Hissy Hypno vortex

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Seagulls own because they'll try and steal your food while you're eating it. No hesitation, absolutely fearless birds.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

christmas boots posted:

Seagulls own because they'll try and steal your food while you're eating it. No hesitation, absolutely fearless birds.

For some reason we had some in bumfuck ohio where there was no large body of water

But when I was in highschool I'd throw french fries out the back drive through window to them because gently caress you I'm making bird friends

They don't like it when they get hit with fries on accident

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Which tastes better, Seagulls or Canadian Geese? I need to know for a friend...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Geese if you fight them, because the taste is that of victory.

Goose is legit delicious though.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

Which tastes better, Seagulls or Canadian Geese? I need to know for a friend...

I mean, probably the geese, at a guess.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Geese are great. We have a couple families of the adorable little fuckers around the neighbourhood. The adults stand on the roofs and honk all day.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Skwirl posted:

I'm stealing this from someone else, but I don't remember who.

RATM at 15: This loving rocks
RATM at 25: It's good music but their politics are a little simplistic
RATM at 35: You know what some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses

I believe it's

15: RATM is right about everything
25: It's good music but their politics are a little simplistic
35: RATM is right about everything

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The way to assert dominance over geese as well as humans is to T pose at them.

Also acceptable is the "well what is it" gesture from dark souls.

Picturing this going like the mushroom gif and giggling.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

christmas boots posted:

A seagull once tried to steal an entire loving steak from a friend's plate

Fucker had abs

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

christmas boots posted:

If I had the ability of flight and there were a million other people that looked exactly like me I would steal peoples food all the time.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
A seagull once attacked my toe as I had my feet buried in sand with just the toes sticking out. I assume it thought it was a hot dog. Or maybe it just hungered for human flesh, who knows.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

Birds can't chew, they don't have teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.