Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Also sometimes the owner demands a cut of the tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Skwirl posted:

Not to make this into a whole thing, but is almond milk worse for the environment than just regular milk? I know compared to a lot of other plants and nuts almonds are huge water hogs, but so is everything involving livestock. Genuine question.
Cow's milk is worse for the environment than almond milk; it uses significantly more water and produces significantly more greenhouse gases etc. When you're comparing almond milk to other non-cow milks (like the post you quoted which compared it to oat milk) it's more complicated. Info: https://blog.datawrapper.de/cow-milk-and-vegan-milk-alternatives/

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The tipped minimum wage was set to $2.13 federally almost thirty years ago, and is still $2.13 in ten or twelve states. They are mostly chud states, of course.

There used to be several states with $10 and $12 minimum wages for tipped employees, but obviously all of the restaurants and bars in those states went immediately out of business, destroying wealth and cratering their economies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The tipped minimum wage was set to $2.13 federally almost thirty years ago, and is still $2.13 in ten or twelve states. They are mostly chud states, of course.

There used to be several states with $10 and $12 minimum wages for tipped employees, but obviously all of the restaurants and bars in those states went immediately out of business, destroying wealth and cratering their economies.

The worst part of when I lived in California for a decade was the fact that there were zero restaurants, they just didn't exist. It was really tough since I spent most of that time working as a waiter.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unperson_47 posted:

Also sometimes the owner demands a cut of the tips.

This is super illegal and if anyone reading this is ever in a position where this happens, file a claim with the department of labor. Wage theft is one of those things where they absolutely come down hard.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Wage theft is more than all other theft combined in the U.S.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Considering Beef O' Brady's is Louisville's premier boomer restaurant, I'm surprised the management even tried to remind diners to tip employees.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

grittyreboot posted:

Considering Beef O' Brady's is Louisville's premier boomer restaurant, I'm surprised the management even tried to remind diners to tip employees.

Of course they did - gotta have more tips to steal from the servers.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

"If they wanted to make more money than 2.13 an hour, they would have got a better job!"

My brother who is a stay at home dad while his wife is a cop.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

winterwerefox posted:

"If they wanted to make more money than 2.13 an hour, they would have got a better job!"

My brother who is a stay at home dad while his wife is a cop.

At least he's consistent about wanting that boot on his face.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The right thing to do is to stop tipping en mass and force the owners to actually pay wages, but if we had that amount of organization we'd just do communism and remove the problem all together.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i only know xeni jardin as one of the original boing boing crew, what gave her all the brain worms

Cancer treatment and another health issue (stroke? concussion?) but maybe also just Silicon Valley poisoning.

She’s had a tough time the past several years, tbh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/hideous_pizza/status/1264021404233551873

@hideous_pizza is not the idiot.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is super illegal and if anyone reading this is ever in a position where this happens, file a claim with the department of labor. Wage theft is one of those things where they absolutely come down hard.

More importantly, Gordon Ramsey finds it disgusting!

For real though, I've been comped a few meals, restaurants I worked to build, a couple small jobs we did work-trade for, wire something up and get your wage in free food, a couple people have bought me a meal because I'm eating lunch in uniform.

I always leave a tip equal to my meal amount, I couldn't imagine my rage if I learned the owner tried to take a piece of that.

European model of "pay your staff a living wage" and then maybe you throw a few pounds/euro/kroner as a thank you for exceptional service is an objectively superior model.

E: I meant to make a joke post about this issue, gently caress.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elviscat posted:

Ramsey should have stopped filming that episode right there and called the loving cops

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Skwirl posted:

The worst part of when I lived in California for a decade was the fact that there were zero restaurants, they just didn't exist. It was really tough since I spent most of that time working as a waiter.
Hawaii, a state well-known for lacking restaurants and bars, currently has a $10.10 minimum wage (and it's going up to $11 in '21, $12 in '22, $12.50 in '23, and $13 in '24 though this is all still less than the state government's own math that currently $17/hour is a living wage).

Technically there's a tip credit system that can knock wages down to ~$9.35/hour if a given employee is making enough in tips, but that'sa bunch of extra math on a weird scale so most places I've seen just start you at $10.10.

anyway hopefully you're just being sarcastic.

(also lol good luck having a conversation about how much better tipped labor has it here than the $2.13/hour I was used to)

FFT has a new favorite as of 08:11 on May 23, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1262789254117314560

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

People will not like you even if you cancel cancel culture elon

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elon Musk is going to be throwing pumpkin bombs from a hover board by the end of the year, I'll loving :toxx: on that

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Elon Musk is going to be throwing pumpkin bombs from a hover board by the end of the year, I'll loving :toxx: on that

Nah, he's more Justin Hammer than Norman Osborn.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

wizzardstaff posted:

20% is just easier to tip. You move a decimal point to the left. You do it again. You smash those numbers together. You write it down. You put down the pen and hand over the receipt, sweaty and nervous, hoping you didn't take too long and that no one witnessed your public display of shameful mental math skills.

Why don't you just not bother with the maths and overestimate? Like, back when cash was a thing, if I was out for a meal with a group of people and the total came out to $27.40 per person I'd just put down $30 and call it good. No, I don't want change, please do not give me coins under any circumstances.

So if you're in a place where tips are a thing and you order a meal that costs, I dunno, $18.50, are you really going to sit there going "well 10% of that is $1.85, times two is $3.70, add that to the original price is $22.20" rather than just going "here's $25"? You're going to sit there and do maths for the sake of a couple of dollars?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt/status/1264083122204758017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Why don't you just not bother with the maths and overestimate? Like, back when cash was a thing, if I was out for a meal with a group of people and the total came out to $27.40 per person I'd just put down $30 and call it good. No, I don't want change, please do not give me coins under any circumstances.

So if you're in a place where tips are a thing and you order a meal that costs, I dunno, $18.50, are you really going to sit there going "well 10% of that is $1.85, times two is $3.70, add that to the original price is $22.20" rather than just going "here's $25"? You're going to sit there and do maths for the sake of a couple of dollars?

No, half the people give 25 dollars and the other half give 19 and don't understand that fifty cents isn't the same as five dollars.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Okay, I need to recommend that people click through on this one, because there's some gold below the fold here, and it isn't anything like what you expect.

holy poo poo it's not giving them photography or catering services 'for exposure' or even giving them a venue for exposure. They want people to be armed guards for exposure.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tiggum posted:

your first example is not quite 11%

for your second example you could go "twice 18.50 is 37 so i should tip in the region of $3.70" which is like one and a half math operations at best and since you've already explicitly brought up "back when cash was a thing" you just add ~$3.70 to the tip line of the credit receipt and you're done. hell, a lot of tip receipts even do the math for you! unless you're the kind of person that gets antsy about tipping on the taxed total as if your server doesn't have to pay sales tax.

no one's going to complain if you give more but given your first example that's probably not how your rounding works out

oh it's tiggum

FFT has a new favorite as of 09:43 on May 23, 2020

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

We'd like you to do it for the exposure...to a potentially deadly virus

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FFT posted:

your first example is not quite 11%

My first example is from a country where we don't do tipping. My point was that it's the same kind of rounding up for the sake of not bothering to do maths. I'm comparing something from my life to a hypothetical situation in which I live in a place where tips are a thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cleretic posted:

Okay, I need to recommend that people click through on this one, because there's some gold below the fold here, and it isn't anything like what you expect.

holy poo poo it's not giving them photography or catering services 'for exposure' or even giving them a venue for exposure. They want people to be armed guards for exposure.

Even better they’re paying those armed guards in booze.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Reminds me of this Reddit post from this very week.

quote:

my pit bull attacked a dog today and put it in the vet ER. Owner is billing me. I tried to break up the fight and saved his dogs life. Ended up in the ER because the other dog bit me. HELP!

Today around sunset my pitbull which is a rescue from the county shelter got out when my pregnant GF was taking out the trash. I heard her chasing after the dog down the driveway and immediately chased after them. By the time i got there my dog had a much smaller dog's neck in his mouth and the other owner was kicking my dog to get him off. I grabbed my dogs collar chest neck head and jaws in that order to try to stop the fight. My pit WOULD NOT let go. It was like a completely different animal on pcp or something. The whole time im trying to break it off the other dog is biting the poo poo out of my thumb. Anyways their dog survived just fine and the owner expects me to pay the vet bill. The after hours giant rear end vet bill. I saved his dogs life. Shouldnt he at least pay for my hand if i pay his vet bill? Im a massage therapist and am not able to make money now. I cannot afford both my med bills and his dog's. What can i do / what am i entitled to do?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Like, back when cash was a thing,

as a poor bankless person in eagle freedom land: oof

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Yeah when I was in the US recently in the before times at the beginning of 2020, my friend thankfully reminded me to leave a tip at a cash only coffee place and I was so caught out and didn’t have many smaller bills I just threw a 5 at the person for a 2 dollar coffee and left cuz I didn’t wanna awkwardly ask for change.

Tipping is bad lol

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Tipping is good because eventually it bleeds through to Europe and I get extra money at the end of the day in addition to my minimum wage income

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Philip Seymour Hoffman would have nailed playing this guy.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah when I was in the US recently in the before times at the beginning of 2020, my friend thankfully reminded me to leave a tip at a cash only coffee place and I was so caught out and didn’t have many smaller bills I just threw a 5 at the person for a 2 dollar coffee and left cuz I didn’t wanna awkwardly ask for change.

Tipping is bad lol

tipping is bad and has its origins in post-civil war methods of making sure black people didn't get paid as much, if at all

what you'd do there tho is give em the five, they give you back three, you give them back one- but you also probably made that baristas day with a triple tip!

i am a fan of ghosting the tip, where you get a $4 bar item, hand a $5 over, leave with drink while the bartender is making change

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Peanut Butler posted:

tipping is bad and has its origins in post-civil war methods of making sure black people didn't get paid as much, if at all

:frogon:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Receptions are so last decade, the families can bond over an armed stand off with the police instead!

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Frog Act posted:

Can we get another sasquatch update, possibly featuring arguments about whether sasquatches are actually biblical giants?

Have some Sasquatch fanfic.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Bigfoots grow hemp and gently caress. Not a bad life really

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ah gently caress nevermind. I overwrote the screenshot. Turns out I'm the idiot on social media.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 14:00 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

goblin week posted:

Tipping is good because eventually it bleeds through to Europe and I get extra money at the end of the day in addition to my minimum wage income

Yeah, a lot of service people in Europe are really nice when they find out you're an American. And it's fun because you know it doesn't have a cost of someone having to put up with an abusive rear end in a top hat just to get paid for their work that day.