Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

mind the walrus posted:

While I'm being petty-- and I'm gonna be petty af about Rowling she's trying to use autistic people as props in her TERF rants now-- it's also such a vanity problem to try and flesh out other Harry Potter story crap like the Fantastic Beast movies instead of just doing the obvious thing and sending more kids to Hogwarts. Like yeah you'd get flak for "not taking risks" from snobby critics, but they didn't like Harry Potter to begin with and weren't about to start, and there's a lot of freedom affording in world-building through the lens of a central location everyone loves. Look at how Star Trek and loads of garbage comics/anime do it. But nope, despite making a billion on the back of a really simple YA format you "have something to prove."

I'm usually in favour of expnding fictional worlds, but gently caress if there's anything worth expanding in wizard school Malory Towers. Should have franchised it out and got worldwide wizard schools written by people of that ethnic/historical background.

It's OK, I think he's making a Marilyn Monroe joke.

I hope so, at least.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

He's not wearing a dress and playing the piano, though.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I hate to disagree with Ron Perlman, but Matt Gaetz is absolutely the ugliest person alive.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Note: Odyssey eventually added DLC that forces your character to fall in love with someone of the opposite sex, get married, and have a baby. And the achievement for doing so was originally titled "Growing Up." Ubisoft's promised 'fix' after the outrage... was to rename the achievement.

So you cannot, in fact, be gay in Odyssey, and I haven't touched the game since that DLC launched.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This is a coworker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That One George Carlin Routine

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Cythereal posted:

Note: Odyssey eventually added DLC that forces your character to fall in love with someone of the opposite sex, get married, and have a baby. And the achievement for doing so was originally titled "Growing Up." Ubisoft's promised 'fix' after the outrage... was to rename the achievement.

So you cannot, in fact, be gay in Odyssey, and I haven't touched the game since that DLC launched.

drat, nice bi erasure :v:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I guarantee this dude played the game using only the midriff-baring Carja-style armour and complained about how all the other outfits are "ugly."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

I guarantee this dude played the game using only the midriff-baring Carja-style armour and complained about how all the other outfits are "ugly."

I figured most of these people didn’t like HZD anyway because Aloy wasn’t hot enough.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
HZD rules because everyone keeps trying to hit on Aloy and she's completely uninterested.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

It's so good that video games and especially all new games coming out are just brimming with historical accuracy in all other respects like era-appropriate technology, clothing and weaponry, otherwise these neckbeards would absolutely keel over dead from all the outrage. Good thing the only historically inaccurate thing in them these days is the women stuff and the butt stuff, otherwise people who keep harping on about only those two things specifically might have seemed a tad disingenuous.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

drat, nice bi erasure :v:

You can be bi all you want in the game, you just can't be homo.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That part is at least historically accurate. Men were expected to take wives to make babies regardless.

If the game makes it so you can't keep seeing your boyfriend afterwards, that's some ahistorical bullshit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

That part is at least historically accurate. Men were expected to take wives to make babies regardless.

If the game makes it so you can't keep seeing your boyfriend afterwards, that's some ahistorical bullshit

the reverse of that is more of the problem, since Kassandra the hardcore lesbian has to have a baby

the problem is that the framing story of the series necessitates these characters having biological children somehow, as the idea is that you're jumping into the memories of your ancestors carried in your DNA. it worked okay when it was all gruff guys of white or acceptably close to white colouring; it got more complicated when women became main characters and becomes even more complicated when sexual preference enters the story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arivia posted:

the problem is that the framing story of the series necessitates these characters having biological children somehow, as the idea is that you're jumping into the memories of your ancestors carried in your DNA. it worked okay when it was all gruff guys of white or acceptably close to white colouring; it got more complicated when women became main characters and becomes even more complicated when sexual preference enters the story.

Odyssey specifically ditched that, though. The DNA used in the framing device is a blood sample on the Spear, not any descendant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Odyssey specifically ditched that, though. The DNA used in the framing device is a blood sample on the Spear, not any descendant.

The problem is that Aya (Bayek's wife from Origins) is the player character's descendant, so there still has to be bloodline lineage.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's such a dumb framing device.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Odyssey should have been a reboot of the franchise with Kassandra as the protagonist. Anyone who didn't like that could gently caress off and play any of the three million other games with a white, brown-haired, male protagonist.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of dumb framing devices

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1272544114832142337

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna need some context on that one. I know Lil' Ben is wrong, but I have no idea what he's being wrong about here.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sorry Ben I can't seem to hear your feelings over the sound of all of these facts

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sunswipe posted:

Gonna need some context on that one. I know Lil' Ben is wrong, but I have no idea what he's being wrong about here.

supreme court decided you can't just fire gay people because they're gay

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Truga posted:

supreme court decided you can't just fire gay people because they're gay

Also it was 6-3 and the majority opinion was written by Neil Gorsuch so today is a huge day for Federalist Society guys having complete meltdowns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah when it comes to a position of reading the constitution literally then LGBTQ being protected under the constitution is obvious as discrimination against sex is specifically mentioned.

Now did they mean it that way? Of course not but this time being a literalist bit them in the rear end

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Jun 15, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

This nutjob is a reporter for Infowars lol. She's also the girl who took pictures of herself carrying a rifle on campus with her grad cap saying "Come and take it". Her husband's website (Liberty Hangout) promotes white nationalists and said that it "doesn't seem possible that 6 million people were killed" regarding the holocaust.

She also did a funny video asking people what they thought of transgender people using bathrooms, obviously trying to bait them but the people just look at her like the idiot she is.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah when it comes to a position of reading the constitution literally then LGBTQ being protected under the constitution is obvious as discrimination against sex is specifically mentioned.

Now did they mean it that way? Of course not but this time being a literalist bit them in the rear end

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol literally justice fishmech

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

This nutjob is a reporter for Infowars lol. She's also the girl who took pictures of herself carrying a rifle on campus with her grad cap saying "Come and take it". Her husband's website (Liberty Hangout) promotes white nationalists and said that it "doesn't seem possible that 6 million people were killed" regarding the holocaust.

She also did a funny video asking people what they thought of transgender people using bathrooms, obviously trying to bait them but the people just look at her like the idiot she is.

Let's not forget, she also poo poo herself at a party.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Let's not forget, she also poo poo herself at a party.

yeah I heard about that

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You don't understand, the bathroom at that house was gender neutral

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
It's time for Cursed Baby Yoda Parents

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/RblmelEdwards/status/1270386641161596934

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Cythereal posted:

They also tweaked some dialogue so your character can say "listen you're nice and all but I told you upfront I was only having children so my Prothean bioweapon DNA could keep chugging along." Which is probably a big concern when you are, in fact, a Prothean bioweapon and the only guy who can use the Staff of Plot Significance.

e. Odyssey was fun, and continued the proud Bioware tradition of the VA for the female protagonist being substantially more talented than her male counterpart, even if no one played as them.

Volcott has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jun 15, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Volcott posted:

They also tweaked some dialogue so your character can say "listen you're nice and all but I told you upfront I was only having children so my Prothean bioweapon DNA could keep chugging along." Which is probably a big concern when you are, in fact, a Prothean bioweapon and the only guy who can use the Staff of Plot Significance.

"Sorry, people who want to be gay, gotta make plot babies!"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I mean, yeah, that's literally it. As someone mentioned earlier, it's one of the pitfalls of having a story that follows 100 generations of the same family. Someone's gotta gently caress, and they couldn't toss it to the antagonist character for reasons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm sure someone could have tossed it to the villain if he was hot enough. :P

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

They were sufficiently hot, they just weren't necessarily sufficiently alive, depending on player choice. And if you do it before they're given autonomy at the end of the story that opens up another can of worms.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Conservatives continue to struggle with the concept of acting
https://twitter.com/terminatorlake/status/1272543242224099328?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Conservatives continue to struggle with the concept of acting
https://twitter.com/terminatorlake/status/1272543242224099328?s=20

I remember seeing The Laramie Project, and one of the parts is a drama student doing a scene for an audition where he plays a gay person and his dad being opposed to it. And he's just like "you watched me play Richard III, I killed babies in that play."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nuebot posted:

Vimes is openly a bastard. But he's also a bastard who actively tries to be harder on the ruling class when he can, even if it amounts to very little, while giving some degree of leeway to the working classes specifically because he knows who the law favors and that they better know how to game the system in their favor to abuse those below them.

you don't have DMs, so I gotta hope this is valid IoSM content: what the gently caress is going on with your avatar. what forum are those screenshots from? did you set that avatar or was it bought for you?