Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I'm learning is that the "pickle sandwiches" that I invented at age 3 1/2 (actually copied off the picture on the box of saltines) -- a plate of 12 crackers topped with pickle slices topped with cheese -- is a "charcuterie board"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"charcuterie board" is just a seemingly fancy-sounding way of saying "plate of starch, cheese, and savory stuff like salted meat and relish"

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
it's french for meat palette

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

next you're gonna tell me entrepreneur is just a fancy word for business guy

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
and rendezvous is just a place to meet up

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I work in a deli and I'm so loving triggered right now.

Okay, so first, I don't make nearly enough money as is but that's a particularly garbage minimum wage.

Second, if you're ordering that somewhere, they have to make a profit because that is how restaurants and stores work, so yes, there is markup. No one's selling you food at cost, idiot.

Third, you priced it with the absolute cheapest poo poo and admitted it, but that's a huge assumption about what you're comparing it to.

Fourth, I have made all sorts of party platters ranging from piles of cubed cheese and sausage to platters with the thinnest of prosciutto laboriously wrapped around pieces of cantelope, and I will happily murder you with my dull-rear end knife that corporate can't seem to do anything about if you want to argue that this is some easy, effortless task, putting together a charcuterie board.

AAAAHHHHH.

Last weekend someone came in with a last minute order of thirty loving trays which just barely fit in under our twenty four hours notice rule, and we can't get any beef (roast, corned, garlic, pastrami) because the packing plant tested positive for listeria and they're fixing that I guess, but it was for a funeral so we pulled together and made it happen, and I did eight of them myself, and I spent fully four hours cutting cheese and folding salami to make nice little rosettes, and then she showed up the next day and said "oh that's way too much food" and took like. Half of them. And I don't even care about the money lost, because gently caress corporate, but it just makes me want to die.

RoboRodent has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Aug 6, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That tweet is actually a great example of false economy. He went with the cheapest items rather than cheapest by volume. Both the almonds and meats would be 1/3 the cost by volume if he wasn't buy individual portions, and it's not like nuts and cured meats don't keep.

Also $3 for a baguette???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

RoboRodent posted:

Please describe the class of your clientele, and I ain’t talking about warriors and wizards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Love to make a slideshow set to cello music telling everyone I got the “final word”.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Please describe the class of your clientele, and I ain’t talking about warriors and wizards.

Varies. It's a deli in a grocery store, and a pretty dominant chain locally, but we're slightly more upper class than some chains. Not Whole Foods fancy, but still pretty middle class.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

Okay, so first, I don't make nearly enough money as is but that's a particularly garbage minimum wage.

Second, if you're ordering that somewhere, they have to make a profit because that is how restaurants and stores work, so yes, there is markup. No one's selling you food at cost, idiot.

Third, you priced it with the absolute cheapest poo poo and admitted it, but that's a huge assumption about what you're comparing it to.

Fourth, I have made all sorts of party platters ranging from piles of cubed cheese and sausage to platters with the thinnest of prosciutto laboriously wrapped around pieces of cantelope, and I will happily murder you with my dull-rear end knife that corporate can't seem to do anything about if you want to argue that this is some easy, effortless task, putting together a charcuterie board.

AAAAHHHHH.

Last weekend someone came in with a last minute order of thirty loving trays which just barely fit in under our twenty four hours notice rule, and we can't get any beef (roast, corned, garlic, pastrami) because the packing plant tested positive for listeria and they're fixing that I guess, but it was for a funeral so we pulled together and made it happen, and I did eight of them myself, and I spent fully four hours cutting cheese and folding salami to make nice little rosettes, and then she showed up the next day and said "oh that's way too much food" and took like. Half of them. And I don't even care about the money lost, because gently caress corporate, but it just makes me want to die.

Hey meat friend (in french charduderie) I appreciate your hard work. I enjoyed my butchery class. It sounds like you are stressed out about that knife, do they not allow you to sharpen them yourselves? I worked at a restaurant like that, they had a knife guy who came in and sharpened because, we were told, it was a liability to let us do it. Even though we used the knives every day, cleaned the knives, just constantly handled the knives. It sounded like a racket to me, but I wouldn't mind sharpening knives for local businesses. Just a side thing until I make it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Hey meat friend (in french charduderie) I appreciate your hard work. I enjoyed my butchery class. It sounds like you are stressed out about that knife, do they not allow you to sharpen them yourselves? I worked at a restaurant like that, they had a knife guy who came in and sharpened because, we were told, it was a liability to let us do it. Even though we used the knives every day, cleaned the knives, just constantly handled the knives. It sounded like a racket to me, but I wouldn't mind sharpening knives for local businesses. Just a side thing until I make it.

They're cheap loving knives that barely hold an edge, but they won't replace them. We have a sharpening steel in the department, but I'm just about the only person in the department who's comfortable using it, mostly because I take my knives at home seriously. I do my best. A sharp knife is a safe knife.

Edit: throwing it out there that I cannot remember the last time I cut myself cooking at home, but I nicked myself yesterday at work because the knife slipped cutting through gouda.

RoboRodent has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Aug 6, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

AAAAHHHHH.

I once cut the cheese at work for four hours too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Youtube really, really wants me to watch that nine hour critique of the last star wars. I guess I'm the IOSM.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RoboRodent posted:

They're cheap loving knives that barely hold an edge, but they won't replace them. We have a sharpening steel in the department, but I'm just about the only person in the department who's comfortable using it, mostly because I take my knives at home seriously. I do my best. A sharp knife is a safe knife.

Edit: throwing it out there that I cannot remember the last time I cut myself cooking at home, but I nicked myself yesterday at work because the knife slipped cutting through gouda.

That doesn't sound gouda at all. I guess you'll have to brie very careful in future. Edam your employers to hell.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

That doesn't sound gouda at all. I guess you'll have to brie very careful in future. Edam your employers to hell.

:allears:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

"charcuterie board" is just a seemingly fancy-sounding way of saying "plate of starch, cheese, and savory stuff like salted meat and relish"

Charcuterie boards are just grown-up Lunchables.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sunswipe posted:

*imitates throwing a basketball cleanly through the net*

"Swiss"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm going to take this in a different direction and use a pun based on the Dutch pronunciation.

Gouda ya feel today?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

More like gouger

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Emmental, my dear Watson.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

can we not clutter the thread with cheesy puns

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

can we not clutter the thread with cheesy puns

That'd be grate, thanks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

manchego

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboRodent posted:

Solidarity. I worked 5 years of grocery retail in the prepared foods department. We never had anyone say "oh that's to much!" for trays of subs or what have you that I know of. But God there were some orders that made me want to stab someone.

The worst was every year. We would make like. Two Thousand boxes lunches for (J?)ROTC. And we'd also cater a lot for the local college football team. It sucked being the closest grocery store to the stadium as well. So much Buffalo chicken dip...

E - I try to not use the knives here at the hospital I work at now. I bring my own knives. At least they bought me a new knife roll so I didn't have to. They offered knives, but I just wanted the smaller roll.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Manuel Calavera posted:

E - I try to not use the knives here at the hospital I work at now. I bring my own knives. At least they bought me a new knife roll so I didn't have to. They offered knives, but I just wanted the smaller roll.

That took a swerve. Just so I’m clear, you work in the cafeteria or something, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

That took a swerve. Just so I’m clear, you work in the cafeteria or something, right?

They're in pediatrics.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Step back ma'am *unfurls Gordon Ramsay Official Knife Kit* your kid got the throat scallops real bad and I gotta fillet his whole head.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dude isn't the idiot. Rockstar's ability to manage it's multiplayers is on par with the Trump administration's attempt to manage covid.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MizPiz posted:

Dude isn't the idiot. Rockstar's ability to manage it's multiplayers is on par with the Trump administration's attempt to manage covid.

Dude is an idiot, there is a time and a place to bitch about that poo poo. As a reply to the company doing an actual good thing that doesn't affect it isn't one of those times or places

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/zandywithaz/status/1291407520557174790?s=20

This lady's Facebook is... something else too...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Dude is an idiot, there is a time and a place to bitch about that poo poo. As a reply to the company doing an actual good thing that doesn't affect it isn't one of those times or places

Not to mention the dude very likely has no idea how game development works. What, is Rockstar purposefully introducing bugs to their game, wringing their hands going "haha, now NOBODY will want to play our game and give us money!!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MizPiz posted:

Dude isn't the idiot.

Nah, the dude is in fact the idiot.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CodfishCartographer posted:

Not to mention the dude very likely has no idea how game development works. What, is Rockstar purposefully introducing bugs to their game, wringing their hands going "haha, now NOBODY will want to play our game and give us money!!"

Not fixing bugs in a supported online game is definitely a thing to get piss and bitch at a company about.

Don't do it in a thread about the company doing a good thing, it just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat who should be ignored

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

"You're compromising our health by not wearing a mask you dipshit!"
"That mask you're wearing is compromising YOUR health!"

Just start fining/jailing people. It's clear they're going to bitch about any slight inconvenience anyway so we may as well go full throttle with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Grimdude posted:

"You're compromising our health by not wearing a mask you dipshit!"
"That mask you're wearing is compromising YOUR health!"

Just start fining/jailing people. It's clear they're going to bitch about any slight inconvenience anyway so we may as well go full throttle with it.

My coworker has a story about how someone her husband works with is in the hospital with an infection in her lungs caused by wearing a mask. And that's why she signed the waiver that says she's got health issues and can't wear a mask at work

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Len posted:

My coworker has a story about how someone her husband works with is in the hospital with an infection in her lungs caused by wearing a mask.

Lancet would be pretty interested in that, I suspect.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You know how the military always ends up gunning people like that down in the movies? I'm still against that sort of behavior from our Armed Forces but I'm starting to understand how it gets there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A few weeks ago I was accused of being a pedophile by a guy who was going to "beat my motherfucking rear end" because I wouldn't walk through the door he was holding open. He wasn't wearing a mask and I told him so. People are sociopaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Len posted:

My coworker has a story about how someone her husband works with is in the hospital with an infection in her lungs caused by wearing a mask. And that's why she signed the waiver that says she's got health issues and can't wear a mask at work

I buy it. If you don't wash your mask and just use the same one all day every day, its gonna get funky and make you sick.