Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bony tony posted:

In a lot of cases, when a trans woman comes out, a lesbian is born. It's the law of conservation of lesbians.

Gonna go out on a limb and guess she's not as welcoming of those lesbians as other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pththya-lyi posted:

"Defund the police" isn't hard to understand, it's just that people like Obama don't want to do it.

You say that but I've heard so many people claim it means different things. There seem to be 2 main camps, those who mean what they said, defund and thus dismantle. And those who want to reduce funding and reallocate it somewhere else.

The later group probably shouldn't have borrowed the slogan of the former.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mega Comrade posted:

You say that but I've heard so many people claim it means different things. There seem to be 2 main camps, those who mean what they said, defund and thus dismantle. And those who want to reduce funding and reallocate it somewhere else.

The later group probably shouldn't have borrowed the slogan of the former.

Those aren't two different things though? The "first group" (they're actually all the same group) also wants to reallocate those funds elsewhere. No one is saying "just disband the police and see what happens".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tiggum posted:

No one is saying "just disband the police and see what happens".

Some extremely online types are in fact actually saying this.

My own worthless opinion is that a better slogan is "demilitarize the police", prioritizing the objective over the method.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/201819/st-cloud-morning-host-exits-after-misogynistic-attacks-on-des-moines-host/

Radio chud gets pissy he lost out on a job to a woman so he starts bullying her live on air.

Holy poo poo. That's a remarkable composite of arrogant dickishness and total inability to see the likely outcome of his actions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Beat cops are functionally useless and should be disbanded immediately unless your goal is random shootings and government entities funded by traffic fines.

Also, gently caress everyone who says "yes the speed limit is 75 but everyone's going 85 so go 85" cause I've probably paid 1000+ bucks to bumfuck Texas counties for following that rule and being the one unfortunate car that the local deputy decides to slap with a ticket. And ate a several hundred dollar ticket in upstate NY for the same drat thing around Watertown. I'm proud to be the rear end in a top hat on cruise control at the speed limit in the right lane.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Those aren't two different things though? The "first group" (they're actually all the same group) also wants to reallocate those funds elsewhere. No one is saying "just disband the police and see what happens".

Well some definitely are but even if we pretend they aren't you still have 2 groups.
The police abolitionists and those who want a reduced police with less responsibilities.
Both result in new community solutions for problems traditionally dealt with by the police, but the police still exist in one, just in a reduced capacity.

You might be able to get the Democrats to accept a reduced police and more community support, but they will never agree to abolition.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Dec 2, 2020

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
maybe we should have gone with "make the police stop fuckin killin people/pets all the goddamn time" for a clearer message

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My own worthless opinion is that a better slogan is "demilitarize the police", prioritizing the objective over the method.

"Demilitarize the police" tends to translate into "spend more money on the police for sensitivity training."

Defund the police is a perfectly fine slogan, the only people who actually think it's too extreme also think George Floyd had it coming.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Well some definitely are but even if we pretend they aren't you still have 2 groups.
The police abolitionists and those who want a reduced police with less responsibilities.
Both result in new community solutions for problems traditionally dealt with by the police, but the police still exist in one, just in a reduced capacity.

You might be able to get the Democrats to accept a reduced police and more community support, but they will never agree to abolition.

You ask for abolition and compromise on reduction, when there's no increase in crime and eventually a serious decrease because the money previously being wasted on cops is going towards things that actually do prevent crime then you start talking about abolition again.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Skwirl posted:

"Demilitarize the police" tends to translate into "spend more money on the police for sensitivity training."

Read that as dematerialize lol
Made me think of shooting police with Sci fi guns

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mega Comrade posted:

i'm onboard

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm game!

^^^ better username/post combo from that goon though ^^^

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gats Akimbo posted:

I'm game!

^^^ better username/post combo from that goon though ^^^

lol

DEMATERIALIZE THE POLICE

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Light Gun Man posted:

lol

DEMATERIALIZE THE POLICE

:sickos:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
That's another reason 'demilitarize the police' doesn't work as a slogan. You don't want your big line (especially when it's supposed to be the less extreme option) to be misheard as something much more extreme, cooler and more interesting.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Dec 2, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Seems beyond the scope of IOSM to post TERFs, that's just unfunny bigotry

xtal has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Dec 2, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The most likely thing is the police will officially change their name from “police” to something else and then say the police are gone, an absolute power move

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This is the rare wholesome idiot on social media that I truly appreciate.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hell, I've been saying that for like 15 years now

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/julesrivera/status/1334145520659357698
https://twitter.com/julesrivera/status/1334146699154001927

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

can't make it through one tweet without talking about themselves

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Light Gun Man posted:

maybe we should have gone with "make the police stop fuckin killin people/pets all the goddamn time" for a clearer message

Try to be a little bit realistic.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

hawowanlawow posted:

can't make it through one tweet without talking about themselves

I’m a trans women are women is the hill you will find me on blazing sword in hand old cis lesbian and tbh she sounds exhausting.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Light Gun Man posted:

We did that. The response was "Nuh-uh, cops' lives matter."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

people are literally too stupid to understand the English language. black lives matter as a response to the implication that they don't matter was way too complicated for them, and so is the concept that defund can mean anything from one percent less money to one hundred percent less money

they're just too stupid for anything to be understandable by everyone, you can only do the best you can

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hawowanlawow posted:

people are literally too stupid to understand the English language. black lives matter as a response to the implication that they don't matter was way too complicated for them, and so is the concept that defund can mean anything from one percent less money to one hundred percent less money

they're just too stupid for anything to be understandable by everyone, you can only do the best you can

Might not be a matter of stupidity, it's more that "Well I know they SAY it's a response to the implication that black lives don't matter, but that is uncomfortable for me to think about and this guy I work with said it really means white lives don't matter, and getting mad about that is more comfortable for me than confronting the ways in which I might be contributing to systemic racism, so I'm just gonna ignore the obvious meaning and embrace the sinister one"

But that's an even worse slogan to chant

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh, they can understand just fine.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

xtal posted:

Seems beyond the scope of IOSM to post TERFs, that's just unfunny bigotry

I dunno, that week about a year ago when a few of them insisted they didn't have pronouns was pretty funny. But then they realized they'd slept through that primary school English lesson and stopped doing it pretty quickly.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/livposting/status/1334199184107270144?s=21

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Does it count when it's the algorithms?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RoboRodent posted:

Oh, they can understand just fine.

nono I'm sure if we're polite enough the racists will stop supporting white supremacy

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my argument was against changing the slogan. they either know what they're doing and are just racist, or are too stupid to be helped and it's pointless trying to cater to them

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Absolutely livid now that Elliot Page is a straight white male!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/GeraldDMV/status/1334196784097349633

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

PetraCore posted:

That type of OCD is absolutely a thing, I have a friend who experiences similar symptoms about something she'd never do when she hits certain stress levels, and I think it's actually a good thing to talk about more openly because there's definitely people who have it who don't realize they're experiencing a known mental illness symptom of something that's not their fault rather than, like, just being a terrible person who can't stop thinking about terrible things.

At the same time, Bodega discourse lady is definitely not the person to be talking about that specific manifestation as she defends doing away with age of consent, even if she's not intending those things to be linked. She needs to log off.

I have GAD and intrusive thoughts are definitely a thing for me. But there is a big difference between publicly talking about how you feel intense guilt that you're going to be thought of as stealing something even if you would never steal and publicaly talking about worrying about diddling a kid when you'd never do that. One is relatable and possibly easier for people to go "Ooooooh now I get it. Wow, that's a lot." and the other is going to lead to serious stink face, weird looks, and rumors. If you're trying to have a discourse to make people understand the weird and awful things your brain does, maybe don't try to relate to someone on the kid diddling thoughts.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The whole argument about "Oh they know!" and stuff kinda ignores that racist people and right-wingers aren't a hive mind. Some of them can be argued down politely (particularly if they give a poo poo about you, personally), some of them are 100% operating in bad faith and will only respond to a punch in the face to get them to shut up. There's no single argument that will work on everyone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dear Prudence posted:

I have GAD and intrusive thoughts are definitely a thing for me. But there is a big difference between publicly talking about how you feel intense guilt that you're going to be thought of as stealing something even if you would never steal and publicaly talking about worrying about diddling a kid when you'd never do that. One is relatable and possibly easier for people to go "Ooooooh now I get it. Wow, that's a lot." and the other is going to lead to serious stink face, weird looks, and rumors. If you're trying to have a discourse to make people understand the weird and awful things your brain does, maybe don't try to relate to someone on the kid diddling thoughts.

Or at the very least, don't do it two months after you published an article about how we should get rid of age of consent laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019