Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

toanoradian posted:

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with US history, which President had a big hole on them?

Off the top of my head: Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Teddy Roosevelt, JFK, Reagan.

E:F,B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

lol.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Off the top of my head: Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Teddy Roosevelt, JFK, Reagan.

Didn't go all the way through for Reagan.

Sadly.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Knormal posted:

From Wikipedia, planning for that monument started in the 1930's, actual work started in 1948, and here it is in 2020:

It's, uh, not going well. But what better way to pay tribute to Native Americans like hacking up a big chunk of their traditional lands?

It is so fun to go to the Crazy Horse site, because they have a little museum with some genuinely cool Lakota artifacts and photos, and then at some point they announce something like “there will be dynamiting of Crazy Horse’s left nostril in 15 minutes” and everyone crowds into the observatory space to count down to a tiny puff of rock dust off in the distance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't know the politics surrounding the site of the Crazy Horse monument, would not surprise me to find out it's more stolen land, but he is legit cooler than anyone on Mount Rushmore.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

Crazy Horse (Lakota: Tȟašúŋke Witkó in Standard Lakota Orthography,[2] IPA: /tχaˈʃʊ̃kɛ witˈkɔ/, lit. ''His-Horse-Is-Crazy''; c. 1840 – September 5, 1877)[3] was a Lakota war leader of the Oglala band in the 19th century. He took up arms against the United States federal government to fight against encroachment by white American settlers on Native American territory and to preserve the traditional way of life of the Lakota people. His participation in several famous battles of the Black Hills War on the northern Great Plains, among them the Fetterman Fight in 1866 in which he acted as a decoy and the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876 in which he led a war party to victory, earned him great respect from both his enemies and his own people.

In September 1877, four months after surrendering to U.S. troops under General George Crook, Crazy Horse was fatally wounded by a bayonet-wielding military guard while allegedly[4][5] resisting imprisonment at Camp Robinson in present-day Nebraska. He ranks among the most notable and iconic of Native American warriors and was honored by the U.S. Postal Service in 1982 with a 13¢ Great Americans series postage stamp.

The gently caress?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zesty posted:

The gently caress?

We made a stamp about a super awesome guy. Bugs Bunny has a couple stamps too.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

shanties are for low voices, not peeps lowering their voices w the rasping that makes it sound like theyll get nodules if they keep it up too much :colbert:

that's wrong, play AC Odyssey with a female crew on your ship and get ready for higher pitch greek shanties :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EsC-TszgKE

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Van Kraken posted:

The Crazy Horse sculptor had worked as an assistant on Mt Rushmore, he hadn’t designed it. Crazy Horse was commissioned by some Lakota chiefs, but IIRC it’s pretty controversial.

the first i heard about the crazy horse monument was when they finished his face in the 90s as a school kid and they included it in some weekly news booklet we got, and the information i remembered about why it was taking so long was because the sculptor's family wanted to keep it private even though the government offered to fund it because they didn't want to compromise the ideal and how big it was?

i got the chance to see it about ten years ago, after mount rushmore. and i can see why they want to keep it away from government meddling because if it ever gets finished, it'll be way bigger than rushmore.

lol

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

shanties are for low voices, not peeps lowering their voices w the rasping that makes it sound like theyll get nodules if they keep it up too much :colbert:
:wrong: shanties are for workers, voice agnostic. let any tenor, soprano, or falsetto perform but no landlords and no lubbers who'll not turn the capstan

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that's wrong, play AC Odyssey with a female crew on your ship and get ready for higher pitch greek shanties :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EsC-TszgKE

alto is a low voice for a woman and theyre all altos not straining their voices

(:colbert:)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shanties are for singing while doing hard work and breathing hard. It sounds wrong because she's singing it like a ballad and there's no power behind it.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:47 on Jan 25, 2021

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I had to sign a confidentiality agreement for work today and goddamn if that stupid nonshanty was playing in my head nonstop all day after going through our infosec and confidentiality stuff protocol (started working in a doctors office, and literally "we have the tv on loud so the patients in the waiting room in front of you don't hear you talking in the phone booking other patients" is part of our protocol" ugh"

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Knormal posted:

From Wikipedia, planning for that monument started in the 1930's, actual work started in 1948, and here it is in 2020:

It's, uh, not going well. But what better way to pay tribute to Native Americans like hacking up a big chunk of their traditional lands?

If I remember right, the act of pointing is also considered incredibly rude to the Oglala people.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Calico Heart posted:

If I remember right, the act of pointing is also considered incredibly rude to the Oglala people.
"It will depict the Oglala Lakota warrior, Crazy Horse, riding a horse and pointing to his tribal land."

So they're destroying a native american holy place to build a mountain sized statue of Crazy Horse giving his own people the finger.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Calico Heart posted:

How do they show people things?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I haven’t heard anything about that. Oglala don’t like it because Crazy Horse himself wanted an unmarked grave and said “my land is where my people are buried.” Also because the sculptor’s family (he was polish too lol) are making millions from tourism to the site which they should have no right to. Plus yes, desecrating the black hills to “honour” the people that live there.

E: honestly, going back hundreds and hundreds of years the West has had this problem of considering monumental architecture as the ultimate mark of civilization, and anyone who didn’t build it as lesser barbarian people. The reality is that plenty of cultures, including the Lakota, just have different ways of expressing what some societies express with big monuments.

But white people in their benevolent wisdom think that they certainly would want giant statues if only they could build them

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Jan 25, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skwirl posted:

Didn't go all the way through for Reagan.

Sadly.

Same with Garfield and Roosevelt. No exit wounds. They were topologically identical to presidents who had never been shot.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

goblin week posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n78td8m3VdI

Lip pointing. Actual answer.

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Jan 25, 2021

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Same with Garfield and Roosevelt. No exit wounds. They were topologically identical to presidents who had never been shot.

A James Garfield statue wouldn’t be accurate unless you put a hole in it and then stuffed the hole full of rusty, unsanitary medical equipment.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, this sounds like he is kidding

Unless I totally misunderstand his story, he's saying "there was this (apocryphal) story about how they accidentally blew the arm off the carving, so they had to rework him so he was 'pointing' with his lips, and white people were like 'haha yeah that's probably how they do it anyway"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think I'm the idiot on social media for this one, but this "shanty" profoundly irritates me. Poster has a very pretty voice, but the content is forced into the (bad) rhyme scheme, and furthermore is superficial.

https://twitter.com/RachelTobac/status/1352409636792492035

I was going to post this is the Unpopular Opinion thread, but since we’re talking about it here:

Folk songs are good.

“Soon May the Wellerman Come” is good.

The performance of the guy who started the thing on TikTok is not good.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Data Graham posted:

I mean, this sounds like he is kidding

Unless I totally misunderstand his story, he's saying "there was this (apocryphal) story about how they accidentally blew the arm off the carving, so they had to rework him so he was 'pointing' with his lips, and white people were like 'haha yeah that's probably how they do it anyway"

No, lip pointing is a thing in quite a lot of Native American cultures. He specifies at the beginning that the meeting where he was originally telling the joke was a meeting of "Indian State Senators". The point of the anecdote is how universal lip pointing is.

Another discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUuKG44CauU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

alto is a low voice for a woman and theyre all altos not straining their voices

(:colbert:)

oh I had no idea, is that some music theory thingy?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Hey that's pretty cool. Thanks!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
wait is "shanties are specially designed for basses and altos only" actually what someone actually thinks? is that an actual doubling-down?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No, lip pointing is a thing in quite a lot of Native American cultures. He specifies at the beginning that the meeting where he was originally telling the joke was a meeting of "Indian State Senators". The point of the anecdote is how universal lip pointing is.

Huh, interesting. I misunderstood the "probably" in his story, I guess. Thanks!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Re: shanties being "designed" for deep voices. It's half-right.

To start with, I'm going to give OP the benefit of the doubt that they just prefer the sound of shanties sung by lower voices to higher. That's an opinion and it's fine, I don't really agree but whatever.

Shanties and work songs sung during hard labor have a purpose, not just to pass the time. They coordinate effort. A classic example is the short-haul shanty "Haul Away Joe" where one person, usually the shantyman, sings one line of the call-and-response, like so:

"When I was a little lad, my mother up and told me"

And the workers respond:

"Away, haul away, we'll haul away Joe!"

On that last syllable of the response, everybody pulls at once. It's used for small motions against great resistance, like trimming sails or tightening lines that one last bit for best performance.

You also have long-haul shanties, which are also call-and-response but the work is done over the course of the response ("Way, hey, blow the man down"), and capstan or pump shanties which just need to have a regular and highly emphasised beat so everyone's working in a steady rhythm (Drunken Sailor, which everybody knows).

Anyway the point is that the call had to be heard over the sound of the work being done and the ambient noise, which could get quite loud. Low frequency sounds travel farther than high frequency sounds, so a singer with a deep voice could coordinate work better because the rhythm could be understood by more of the laborers.

So you could say that deep-voiced shanty singers over time developed work songs that were most effective when sung by deeper voices. But that really only applies to the call part of call-and-response songs, not capstan shanties or others that were meant to be sung all together.

And this isn't even talking about shanties that aren't work songs - fo'c'sle shanties sung purely for entertainment when you were just sitting around off shift and bored.

And nowadays shanties are pure entertainment anyway, so gently caress it do what you want.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Anyway the point is that the call had to be heard over the sound of the work being done and the ambient noise, which could get quite loud. Low frequency sounds travel farther than high frequency sounds, so a singer with a deep voice could coordinate work better because the rhythm could be understood by more of the laborers.

A singer's pitch isn't going to have much effect at the kind of levels and distances we're talking about, and a lot of where you actually can understand what someone is saying (and often pick out the rhythm in a vocal part) comes from extremely high frequencies and sibilance anyway. A much bigger impact is going to be the strength of the singer's diaphragm and lung capacity.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I think the shanties are nice.

Here's a shanty about wearing your loving mask.

Edit: right link, and not a link for a recipe for homemade playdough.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Baron von Eevl posted:

A singer's pitch isn't going to have much effect at the kind of levels and distances we're talking about, and a lot of where you actually can understand what someone is saying (and often pick out the rhythm in a vocal part) comes from extremely high frequencies and sibilance anyway. A much bigger impact is going to be the strength of the singer's diaphragm and lung capacity.

All I can really offer in response is that when I was doing volunteer work on a historical tall ship, the lady shantyman was less distinct on rhythm when there was a lot of sea noise than the dude, and that's how it was explained to me when I asked why.

drat shame too, she had a better voice than he did. She sang for a symphonic metal band as her other hobby.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Men, and especially large men, are likely to have larger lungs and stronger diaphragms.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
deepness of voice is determined by largeness of voice bits. larynx not lung but those are hella correlated

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, lung capacity is only going to determine how much air you can push out, I wasn't trying to correlate that to pitch.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Baron von Eevl posted:

Men, and especially large men, are likely to have larger lungs and stronger diaphragms.

alright RE8 sea shanty montage lets get to it, we have like 2 hours before the meme is over

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

goblin week posted:

Not an expert but might assume you could motion with an open hand.

e: truly I was not an expert!

Calico Heart has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Jan 25, 2021

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Goa Tse-tung posted:

alright RE8 sea shanty montage lets get to it, we have like 2 hours before the meme is over

Oh good now they're singing shanties AND they're horny.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Push El Burrito posted:

Oh good now they're singing shanties AND they're horny.

Man, do I have some news for you about sailors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
And rum and the lash, too.