Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Can we have an antidote?

https://twitter.com/kharypayton/status/1272582338531045376

I mean, there's lots of idiots in the comments...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Bismuth posted:

Yes! The bigger the tit the more support it needs. Its part of my theory as to why you can easily find small bras in a rainbow of colors, styles, and frills while its hard to find a big bra that isn't white, beige, or black and entirely utilitarian in design. They aren't for show, they're performing an important duty.

Yep. If you're larger on top, the only time you can comfortably go without is when you're lounging and doing nothing around the house. It can get painful without one, and forget exercise. I fully agree with your theory about pretty vs functional. The bigger the cup, the more it looks like an engineering project.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Even then, underboob sweat :( BTW, Victoria's Secret not having larger sizes is a deliberate marketing plan, because they don't want people to shop there who aren't "their customer".

There are now a lot of zazzy brands that have colorful bras for bigger cup sizes. https://us.brastop.com/ https://www.bravissimo.com

Ooh, thanks for the links!

ETA: Ooh, they have swimsuits!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
To me, the big difference is this - there's a difference between something that's a disability because of issues interfacing with the environment, and one that's a disability because it makes you feel like poo poo.

Autism is often related to an interface with the environment. Things like (non-injurious) stimming and narrow focusing are an issue that could be addressed by changing the interaction with the environment (greater social change) rather than requiring the individual to change. People need to be able to communicate their needs, so the individual may need to learn methods and the environment needs to be flexible in learning different communication methods. We don't need to get rid of what's "wrong" with the person, as long as the person is happy. If the person is happy and able to live a life where they feel valued as a member of society and as an individual, that's what matters. A flexible environment with people who are educated and empathetic towards all people, and which adapts to the needs of people, would eliminate or at least significantly reduce the impact of things like autism, deafness, physical disabilites, etc.

Depression, though, is inherently maladaptive. It makes you feel like poo poo, that's a huge chunk of the diagnostic criteria. Not wanting to get rid of it is kind of like not wanting to leave an abusive relationship. It makes you feel lower than dirt, but you've lived with it for so long you don't know how you would live without it.

ETA: Picnic Princess, that's a good example of using healthy coping mechanisms. You know what works for you!

I just thought of an example of environmental change - bathrooms. People who require assistance toileting often run into issues with bathrooms. They can run into a lot of trouble on a day out - do you hope there's a functioning, clean toilet you and your assistant can fit into? Do you avoid drinking and eating, and risk a kidney infection, so you don't need to use the bathroom? Do you wear a diaper, and risk a UTI and having to sit in your own waste? What if you get too heavy for your assistant to lift, or you need changing and the only option is the filthy floor? Maybe you just only go out for a couple of hours instead of all day, so you can go home to use the toilet.

Or, public restrooms could change to be more accessible and eliminate all of those problems.

Exampe: http://www.changing-places.org/the_campaign/what_are_changing_places_toilets_.aspx

Bonster has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Nov 21, 2020

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

letthereberock posted:

Why the gently caress is it ALWAYS lattes? Surely there are numerous different things people waste their money on?

“Priced out of the housing market? Maybe stop buying so many Walking Dead Funko Pops!”

(It’s like there are still people who never got over the trauma of the 90s and learning there is more than one way to drink coffee.)

Because if they said "just stop buying medicine! stop paying bills!" conservatives wouldn't hum in agreement and go about their day.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

I know when I don't sleep the day becomes longer. Really screws up a lot when you slow the earth's rotation.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Splicer posted:

Ireland and Scotland would have words with you about this.

I mean you'd only have a 50/50 chance of understanding us but they're still words.

Yeah, it's really dumb to say "white people have no culture". It's like saying some generic "white" is the baseline and only things that differ from it count as a culture, or "we don't have an accent, those people do"

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Soylent Pudding posted:

The ways I've always heard it seriously argued is that "white people are what you get when ethnic groups trade their heritage for access to white supremacy." It's why white pride conveys something very different than say Irish pride or German pride.

Absolutely, if you're saying "white culture" there's no such thing. But to say white people have no culture is silly.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

hooman posted:

I agree with the statement of "a white person does not have a culture" though? Their whiteness does not tell you anything about their culture.

They're presumably culturally French. That contradicts the statement "white people are incapable of having culture"

What is the culture of a white?

EDIT: I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just not sure how you get the reading of "white people are incapable of culture" from "white people have no culture".

That's already been answered. There is no white culture, but white people have cultures, which they may share with non-white people. The original statement that started this chain said that since white people don't have culture, they must absorb it from others who are not white, implying not that white people come from many cultures, but that white people are acultural, and that non-white origin cultures are somehow more pure and true, which is exotification and otherizing. No one denies that there is no vast, unifying white culture.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

learnincurve posted:

Everything the white french think of as their culture was stolen from Islam during the crusades lol so no the french have no culture of their own - you have to go through European areas individually with this one.

Also, this is not true.

That's the Spanish.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

goblin week posted:

being really into polish culture in poland is basically shorthand for being white supremacist nowadays. which sucks! a thousand years of history and cool regionalisms and it’s all coopted by nazis now

Which makes no sense to me, because the Nazis thought the Slavs were subhuman.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The difference is that people with DID FEEL like their body was hijacked by another personality oftentimes because of the episodes, behavioral changes, dissociation and memory loss, but they don't actually have other fully formed personalities or identities besides their own. Of course, if you don't understand what's going on during these episodes, it can be easy to assume that some other alien identity living in your head decided to commandeer your body, but that isn't the actual case.

It's like saying bipolar people have three different personalities or identities because they act wildly different while manic, depressed, or not exhibiting either extreme.

poo poo isn't "plural." It's singular. The MPD era was some Jungian level psychoanalysis of overcomplicating far more simple and grounded symptoms by turning them into ridiculous overwrought poo poo, often informed by people describing their symptoms in metaphorical means and idiot psychologists taking it at face value.

Thanks for this, and yes, people with DID are not "plural", they're one person who dissociates and may take on different personality traits when in severe distress, fragmenting one's identity as a means of self-protection. It isn't some neato disorder where you have fully formed headmates who party with you and live distinct lives within the same body, all aware of each other and talking to each other. The "host" is usually completely unaware of alternate personalities, only aware of amnesiac or fugue states. When the "host" works to resolve their trauma, the personalities integrate and disappear, since they never existed as anything other than a coping strategy.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Okay, Dorothy Dandridge was drop dead gorgeous and very talented. This is like saying white women back then all looked like Greta Garbo, so why don't they now?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

PhazonLink posted:

related to this, the osha thread once had a post about old house, and bathrooms with a razor size slit in the wall. apparent this was THE disposal method, just put the razors in the space behind the wall.

apparently decades of use can only pile up to a foot or two.

Yep, we had one of those. It's just a little tiny slit in the back of the medicine cabinet, and the razors just fall into that void beyond, from which nothing returns.
ETA: We also have an ash pit under the fireplace. Cast iron door you open and shovel the ash into a pit under the fireplace. There's a tiny door on the outside (about 1' square) that accesses the ash pit so that, theoretically, you could clean it out. I don't even know how that would work - call someone with a giant vacuum cleaner?

Bonster has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Sep 8, 2022

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

B33rChiller posted:

I think you may be missing the drawer or hopper that is intended to sit under that door, which can easily be removed via the small door outside.

Nope, it's a serious pit. Like, about 8 feet deep, just slightly less wide and long as the fireplace itself. No sign there was ever anything meant to be inserted there. ETA: it's lined with concrete. Just a big old oubliette.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

AFewBricksShy posted:

You're correct about Schuylkill, I definitely typed out the wrong sound for the end of that one, but I definitely don't say Hawk-en. I grew up near Valley Forge though, so it might depend on the region.

I lived in Conshy, it's a nice enough place. Lived right next to the old quarry that's fenced off and has all kinds of waterfowl in it. There were resident hooded mergansers, which were really cool looking, and a friendly swan (primarily friendly because it was on the other side of the fence). There were also murderous geese that hated my little dog.
Took me forever to spell the town's name, though.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I work in a health care facility and wear one constantly. There are so many benefits! I get sick a lot less, spend a lot less on makeup because I only bother with my eyes now, my face feels nice and warm, and I don't have chapped lips in the winter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

OwlFancier posted:

I think they did have the big dick = stupid idea, as they used to show satyrs with big pendulous willies as an indicator of their brutish nature.

But then also the romans gave us the fascinum which is a massive winged dick with legs and also its own secondary, massive dick between them and also bells on, as the representation of the divine phallus and a protective charm. So the ancient mediterranean was a land of contrasts.

The ancient Romans and Greeks also thought the head of the penis was the icky part, so people who ran around naked like athletes would pierce their foreskin and clip it shut with a piece of jewelry called a fibula, or tie it shut with a leather string (kynodesme) for modesty. It also kept them from having sex and was supposed to preserve their voice (because losing semen negatively effects your voice).