Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Why do cops of all people use the Punisher logo. It’s so stupid to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Data Graham posted:

All criticism is now an ad hominem attack apparently

I see you’ve been arguing with Libertarians online.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Conservatives complain about being alienated from their families over politics all the time, and whenever there’s a news story about how liberals won’t be friends with or date them, they use it as proof that libs hate anyone different than them. It definitely occurs on both sides of the aisle.

You two named the same group.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Outing myself and generating thread content, but I've always felt the whole 'Karen' thing was more than a bit misogynistic. I'm not sure that I'd agree that it had class connotations though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I mean, I do, because the collective image of 'a Karen' as I've understood it is definitely upper-class, or upper-middle at its lowest. 'Karen' describes that sort of older woman who never really seems happy about anything and is always super judgemental of others they see as 'below' them. It's 'I need to speak to your manager' with a larger purview, they're also the moms who give teachers hell and the people who apparently aren't racist but are very scared of black youths. It's definitely an image that I associate with a certain social class.

I suppose there's a sexist element, too, because it is really levelled at women, but I think it's because while that sort of person does exist among men, it manifests very differently.

Yeah but read the post above yours. That aspect is punching up. The misogynistic aspect is not.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

It's the chard, makes em bitter

:haw:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

Well, nobody gives a poo poo about how it affects real life Karens, so I can't imagine that factoring in for the Kevins or whatever. Tho I doubt the internet ever agrees on a male Karen because the internet isn't as invested in boiling down men into one unpleasant stereotype to name and dismiss, generally. Chad is the only one I can think of and that's just an incel thing.

This. There’s a subset of people saying Karen that mean a white middle class woman using her privilege to be an rear end in a top hat.

There’s an entirely different subset that latched onto it to be hella misogynistic.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Head to Reddit, friend.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Karen originated as an AAVE term and it applied to a specific type of privileged white lady. Internet people saw it on twitter or wherever and some of those people people use it in a lovely way. White people misappropriate AAVE terms they see on the internet all the time (see: bougie as a prime example.)

Karen is in no way a slur, but it has been used misogynistically by people on the internet. That doesn’t mean everyone saying it is using it that way, but it does give centrists cover to whine about it. And it’s a reason to consider how you’re using the word before using it, or how whoever you’re reading is using the word before you retweet/etc. it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/christianizcool/status/1230944743233900544?s=21

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know your not that’s my point your argument is flailing without any seeming ability to form a coherent point.

It’s just the negative woke stereotype as far as I can see

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Martel_Society

:magemage:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

T-man posted:

I'm getting reports that the "karen is a slur" woman that started this conversation is a TERF, so I wouldn't be shocked if we see TERFs trying to hijack the (legitimate) concern re: the conflation between class consciousness and misogyny and blame it on the transes.

A TERF weaponizing misogyny to protect themselves from being called out??? :monocle:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Faustian Bargain posted:

I can picture this one immediately before or after a meme making fun of Greta Thunberg.

Yeah, it's not like they're doing that with climate change.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
edit;nvm

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

This has to be a joke post...right?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Mods, name change me to WALLOW like a SHOAT

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/finallevel/status/1250140815537704961?s=21

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Stop! Or my Duaghter Will poo poo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s not all men!!!!! -Memento

White lives also matter!!!! -Memento

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Yeah, being a grifter makes sense to me at least, its human to be selfish even in the extreme and as long as youre not being thrown under the bus (yet).

Is it just like a sort of macro Stockholm syndrome or battered wife syndrome that has you agreeing with your abuser?

It just makes me kind of sad that your brain can just break in such a way to believe this stuff.

They don’t care, they are empowered by their positions within the patriarchy and attain their goals by disempowering people that fight against it. They don’t need to vote to have their worldview enacted.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The best part about molon labe is that every time it shows up in a battle the people saying it lose hard. Thermopylae didn’t do much to stop the Persians despite the popular myth that it was some heroic game changing moment.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

Texans said it to Santa Anna and then won

How’d it work out for Bowie, Travis, and Crockett?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

also Texans lost at the Alamo lol

That was my point, because I misremembered it was Battle of Gonzalez.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MizPiz posted:

No one is allowed to report my posts anymore

yeah, all my posts are stupid poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
every band is on twitter

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

You've got a sixer, you poser.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

David Brooks has a real gift grift for being wrong.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So posting about dumb people with bad politics is bad, but rhino’s white noise horny posting gimmick is a-ok.

I’m also confused about the new rule.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

I'm a millennial, my only child did not survive birth, and a decade later I'm not sensitive about it anymore but also haven't been able to rly have a meaningful romantic relationship so, completely rad to see that compared to a puppy litter with a less than 100% survival rate

Also lmao whyyyy would they make a tweet that seems to make the ten plagues look like they weren't a big deal??

Gotchas are apparently more important than millennia-held religious traditions.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/josefkstories/status/1252716129690062848?s=21

Re:woke Steak-umms

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s easier for a bunch of Hearing people to be either smugly dismissive or singularly understanding about Deaf/deaf culture than it is to examine why the Deaf community has the culture that they do and what that means for the assumptions we make about able-bodiedness.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
More of an update on an idiot.

https://twitter.com/bowlcutthanos/status/1252774719046078464?s=21

e: what is it with chuds and making GBS threads their pants?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Crowetron posted:

"Ultravenous" sounds like it would hurt a lot.

Like grandma’s legs!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/thegoodliomboy/status/1255494382448451584?s=21

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also rich druggie problems: you tweet some dumb poo poo while high and you company’s stocks tank. This won’t affect your personally, but people are mad at you online and you have very thin skin due to being raised on blood diamond money.

Sounds like you’re curling your tongue too far down. It’s much closer to the “eh” sound in words like egg.

Technically it was blood emeralds.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hollowpoints do more damage when they explode inside the body. He’s fantasizing about murdering a security guard because he was asked to wear a mask during a pandemic.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/ladeispower/status/1260717888425439239?s=21

Fellas, is it gay to gently caress women?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

The thing I don't get is... doesn't this 'Common Sense' thing go both ways? A six-year old is more than old enough to know not to touch others without permission. A teenager is old more than enough to follow school policies, which presumably do not allow them to have alcohol of any kind at school. Anyone pursuing a teaching career should be able to take five minutes to review the rules and regulations of a job they applied for, and they should not have taken that job if they were unable or unwilling to follow the institution's disciplinary policies.

And... yes? A school should need permission to administer drugs of any kind to students. Wouldn't it be 'Common Sense' that tells us that even seemingly innocuous combinations of medication can result in poisoning and death? Why should schools be allowed to violate HIPAA? (HIPPA?) Should your doctor be allowed to discuss your pre-existing conditions with say, your employers or potential employers? Wouldn't you consider that a serious breach of trust and privacy? In one breath, they lament the death of 'Trust' and 'Discretion' while screaming that they can't reveal private medical information a few sentences earlier.

This is one of those many, many times where you're thinking harder than the author.

It means you're wasting your time, this isn't meant to appeal to reason, it's meant to confirm biases.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TinTower posted:

Even in the remote Aboriginal villages, I imagine that US$430 for an eighth is massive price-gouging.

Hahaha acab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
With an even tinier mosquito.