Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Skwirl posted:

Tired

Wired
https://twitter.com/catacalypto/status/1245034272550817794?s=20

Edit: tweet deleted here's the photo

Wired:

As one of Are Troops, holding a top-secret code purple ultra clearance, who's just returned from a 6 month deployment with NASA to guard the Ice Wall, I would appreciate it if you'd stop wantonly promulgating the dire secrets I make great sacrifices to guard.

Like, do you know how badthe wifi is out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

zakharov posted:

Just how much alcohol do these people need?

I know he's Australian but still

Going off myself at the worst, a fifth of liquor and a couple high ABV beers a day, or a fifth and a six pack of regular beer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Twitch posted:

You can clean cast iron with water as long as you wipe it down with oil and heat it up until everything evaporates/burns off of it right after.

Specifically you're turning the oil into a long-grain polymer, similar to a plastic that provides both corrosion resistance and imparts some non-stick qualities to the cookware.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I could black this card out every single day I go into work. Unfortunately.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Darkhold posted:

I have a cousin who's straight up said she thinks there should never be a woman president because women are (in her words) pussies. She has nothing but withering contempt for women that show emotion make decisions based off of feelings.

I do hope someone points out to gun girl that if women are too emotional to vote well then they're far too emotional to carry firearms so the all male electoral needs to take that away from her as well.

Edit: should have read the thread closer I see several people mention that last part.

Well, women are responsible for pretty much all mass shootings and domestic terrorism so it's a good point

Wait, poo poo I think I got that wrong.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Piss Meridian posted:

I'm a meat EVA

THAT'S why I have a screaming, worthless 15yo trapped in my brain.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Stoatbringer posted:

I like my lungs to function.

Reported for ableism.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

And tattoos and piercings! What'll the libs think of next?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I had to double check this isn't the AUG thread, ugh.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1259450328048709633

We've currently had over 6 times as many COVID-19 deaths as swine flu, and rising.

I wasn't in a position to read the news or even be on the internet often, or be informed on politics very much for the first couple years of the Trump presidency.

I learned @realDonalTrump was not a parody account during the Ukraine scandal last year, for 3 years I thought "there's no way he could be that loving stupid" because of tweets like this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I really hope that Waffle House Chef tracks them down when they move, relentlessly creating new egg dishes that are not slightly runny, a Javert to the Husband's ValJean, relentlessly stalking him and denying his quest to find suitable breakfast foods for evening consumption, and getting in minor fisticuffs over it.

E: or like this https://youtu.be/Q_IYrltqYrU

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 20:02 on May 12, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Volcott posted:

Doesn't pretty much every car on the road have an effective top speed of 120 because that's when regular use, off the rack tires start exploding?

That might be the speed rating of some tires, but they do not "start exploding"

E: the tires on my Nissan Leaf are rated "H" or 130mph (pretty sure this is the most common speed rating) the stack of Sumitomos for my Mustang are rated "Z" for over 149mph, most modern performance cars should come with a similar rating.

There is of course a generous engineering margin on any of these ratings.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 01:27 on May 18, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Is he going to use it twice?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/maria_rendon97/status/1262389337506881536?s=19

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

grittyreboot posted:

SNL not being able to write something ridiculous isn't exactly a high bar.

Wash them hands for twenty seconds, aaaand keep them clean with that GermX, totally.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Do these people not understand time or math? Like that we're three months in to this poo poo, and that death toll for AIDS (not a good loving example of "how to manage a novel disease outbreak" btw) is over decades?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is super illegal and if anyone reading this is ever in a position where this happens, file a claim with the department of labor. Wage theft is one of those things where they absolutely come down hard.

More importantly, Gordon Ramsey finds it disgusting!

For real though, I've been comped a few meals, restaurants I worked to build, a couple small jobs we did work-trade for, wire something up and get your wage in free food, a couple people have bought me a meal because I'm eating lunch in uniform.

I always leave a tip equal to my meal amount, I couldn't imagine my rage if I learned the owner tried to take a piece of that.

European model of "pay your staff a living wage" and then maybe you throw a few pounds/euro/kroner as a thank you for exceptional service is an objectively superior model.

E: I meant to make a joke post about this issue, gently caress.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

From the Heated Gaming Moment.

Idgi, is the gate across that bridge?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Elysiume posted:

guillotine guillotine guilloTINE GUILLOTINE GUOILLTINE

I thought the French Nobility had already been dealt with thusly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cat Potency posted:

https://twitter.com/CHANxJACKIE/status/1266893749021483008

rear end in a top hat gets called out for his dog whistley white supremacist band t-shirt and Mjollnir necklace and folds like the cowardly little boy that he is

Screwdrivers is less dog whistle and more openly Nazi, but I guess you'd have to be keyed into that fact to realize it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FB is cheating, but this is extra special, this guy is gay, and married to a same-sex local Republican politician, good thing there weren't any famous riots to kick off the gay rights movement in the US!

cw: brutality
https://i.imgur.com/eVvduCq.jpg

Somebody has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jun 2, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

So by his own admission sword guy wasn't even defending his own store, like that (e: Elviscat's) screenshot seems to suggest.

Correct, I and someone else pointed this out to him

I'm blue, CHUDs red, other dude's green.

Then this happened:

Wouldn't want my Nazi worldview to be exposed to things like "facts" or "other opinions".

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That got taken down quick

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I have only two emotions about this post, careful fear and dear devotion. I can't seem to get the balance right.

Guess I'll just have to sit in my faintin' chair and drink pink rabbits.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

GreenMetalSun posted:

I went to see the Wicked musical and they made the one black character in the book white so no one watching it would have to suffer the trauma of seeing a white (green) woman in love with a black man.

It was... incredibly loving bad, all around.

Doesn't Theater just generally cast based on voice without regard to race though? So just because the actor's white doesn't mean the character's been white washed?

That tweet is awful.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I guess it's way more important to cast black actors as explicitly black characters, for the usual reason.

Wicked seemed fine to me when I saw it last year, I went at my Girlfriend's behest and I'm not super familiar with the show/book/fandom though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I once saw a version of Les Mis where Young Eponine was played by a white child and Adult Eponine was played by a black woman. I found that a bit jarring.

I saw something similar, but it was Cosette, didn't really matter because she was an awesome talent and it was obvious why they made the choice.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Gaaaaaah!

This thread is really over delivering.

Sure takes a lot of guts to walk out of your house while a battalion of National Guardsmen tear gases and rubber bullets the poo poo out of some non-violent protesters.

E: that made me so mad I tried to find a campaign running against Scott Walker to donate to, but it turns out he's already a massive failure who got booted for office, ah well.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Jun 2, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's usually the part you do quietly, yeesh.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

In the Before-Time I was a line cook at a truck stop restaurant, can confirm, truckers are like 80% chuds, 100% if they're prior service

for some reason the vet > trucker pipeline produces smoothbrained racists, idk :(

Servicemembers receive 3 years of free college or vocational education following an honorable discharge.

Everyone I know who got out of the service is currently truckin' and fuckin' is ineligible for those benefits.

The mental issues that lead you to try and punch out a superior officer, or try to sneak back into the barracks at 2:00am completely loving blasted on cocaine are bizarrely and inextricably linked with those that cause CHUDery and the urge to go "OOH RAH NO FORMER MARINES" and putting "PROUD VETERAN" swag all over yourself and your rig

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, that's been my experience on SM and in the couple VFWs I've been in too.

My only theory is they weren't in long enough to suffer the burnout, apathy and ennui that comes with years in.

poo poo, I'm FB friends with a few people that have 30+ years in, and they're just posting about their cool retirement ponytails and beards and poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Idiot, I'm a nuke and I've lunched before, many times in fact.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

dreamin of semen posted:

Elviscat is not a libertarian, to my knowledge

:drat:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh man, that first sentence had me thinking that was gonna turn out way different.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Gamers.txt

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A few years back I had a couple dudes smash my car window, and start rifling through my car, I chased them away down the street, nice sunny afternoon, so the neighborhood was all out on their porches, called the cops pretty quick.

The dudes just kinda ambled down the street, kicking and punching cars, knocking over trashcans, shouting, etc.

Cops show up, dudes start yelling at them, a second cruiser shows up, with an obviously older/higher ranking cop, first two cops (one black and one white cop, and one black and one white dude, fwiw) engage the dudes, start talking to them, get both of them to sit down in the grass, cuff the white dude, ambulance shows up to take the black dude away, no cuffs but with a cop riding along.

Cops explain to us dudes got bounced from the nearby shelter for being wasted, probably causing a ruckus so they'll get a night in jail, food etc. they're booking the white dude, but the black dude is having a rough time so he's going to the hospital for psychiatric evaluation.

Seems to me about how law enforcement should work, the cops certainly didn't need to be armed, and at no point did they yell, much less use violence, they basically acted as social workers responding to a 911 call.

I know my anecdote isn't typical, and is horribly damming of a system that needs to be rectified, but having an unarmed police force that only gets to get dressed up and play army man when the next psycho right winger holes himself up in a bell tower with a cache of rifles seems like a good first step.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

In the replies:

https://twitter.com/kgbeovac/status/1270298874301820928?s=19

Looks like people are going for the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" approach.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

It's just absolutely astounding that apparently people were RATM fans and didn't realize their music was political.

I'm in a Facebook fan group for Social Distortion frontman Mike Ness, people get tattoos of his face and poo poo and post them there, in their most famous live show, Mike goes on a rant about Hitler shoving a cyanide capsule up his rear end and blowing his brains out, and encourages all white supremacists to "follow (their) leader".

A couple years ago he jumped into a crowd and punched out a MAGA CHUD who was heckling him about politics.

Several dozen old CHUDS in the group rage quit with posts about "WHY DOES HE HAVE TO BE POLITICAL JUST MAKE MUSIC RAGGGHHHH!"

What I'm saying is CHUDS aren't very introspective about what music they listen to, look at George W fuckin' Bush using CCRs "Fortunate Son" at campaign rallies, a song that literally descrubes how evil and lovely him and his dad are.

E: also I could see people interpreting RATM as fighting against the evil democrats trying to tax you, and framing their ideology that way.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hollandia posted:

Bit of a difference from a 2020 t-shirt, but yeah that must be a bit :wtc:

I was gonna be like "that's just a geometric border!"

Then I zoomed in, and, uh, yeah those are swastikas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TKIY posted:

Look, as a Canadian with multiple pets you have to understand it's a math and averages thing. Most of us never molest our pets but then there is Bestiality Georg, you see.

My "I'm Canadian but I don't bugger my pets shirt" is bringing up a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.