Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it really stealing LaBs thunder when his thread was posted first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that exactly what the phrase normally means? Like, if you know someone has some big news to share and you tell everyone first, you're stealing their thunder?

Bird didn't say they were doing it and other subforums close threads and leave it to someone new to repost.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's me, I'm the idiot on social media

Why can't they give me like a slider so that I can change my tax money going from the military to things that I support like libraries and schools?

It's because all the tax money will go to bombs isn't it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A $2 George foreman from the Goodwill is way better

Not that you can get one of those right now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

I too am upset about this change, but for a slightly different reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q1PKxcQfro

i'm a fan of the recursive art

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

People that tweet at their messiah put their life savings into stock

Because they are dumb

About two weeks before everything went to hell a friend of mine was telling me "oh it took your two years but you've got a thousand dollars squared away in an emergency fund? You should pull that all put and invest it into stonks so it'll make you more money"

This is the same dude who had to sell all his Switch controllers because he has no emergency money

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://www.change.org/p/sony-playstation-change-ps-plus-may-2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

It's because there was a bullshit leak saying it was going to be one of the Dark Souls games or something.

And I agree it's a dumbass petition, but it isn't free, it's part of a subscription service and you lose access if you are no longer subscribed.

Let's call it was it was, a Photoshop

It's 2020 and somehow people still just assume if it's videogame news on the internet it's a verified leak

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

x ampersand oh posted:

None of these things are true, for the record.

1. She is not a terf, period end of story (There is a song called "Sex Changes" but that is about sex... changing.. things. Not gender reassignment. )

2. She did not have a flash mob wedding. She was married at Michael Chabon's house, for starters with a bunch of other famous authors there.

3. The "did not pay her band" story is actually completely distorted and false:
She HAD a touring band. A paid touring band. The same band she made that album with.
She HAD opening acts. They were paid, too.

What she wanted was at every city on that tour for random local musicians to come up on stage and play with her and her band during the main concert as a big interactive experience. For fun. On a volunteer basis. it was just a last minute idea of an extra thing to add to the shows.

When other people said "hey we know you came up in this sort of diy punk communal hippy crashing concerts for free sort of way but in this day and age it sets bad precedent to not pay artists for any reason" she understood and made smaller, paid arrangements but by this point in time the internet blew the whole thing out of proportion and made up this whole exaggeration that isn't even how it happened and now this story gets spread around each and every time her name is mentioned and maybe we can stop doing that?

And now I've gone and used up my "one post every ten years", thanks a lot.

Amanda Palmer account spotted

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to know but I really don't want to give those clicks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ibblebibble posted:

I knew someone in uni called Caoimhe, boy was that not pronounced the way I thought it would be.

I've got a funky name myself so I made sure to get it right after the first time though.

My friend's brother chose that as his name and yeah that's a real loving weird pronunciation

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

All i remember is that you're never too young to have a vietnam flashback

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Convention organizers too. Like the big nerdy gaming things, like EVO and GDQ aren't doing at hotel in person things. All the furry cons are canceling or postponing for the year, etc.

Meanwhile Gencon 2020 is still going forward

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poly and open-minded posted:

or that people who are gay couldn't donate blood, voluntary or otherwise, even when tested for pathogens

I mean I guess they can now, but don't you have to wait a year after your last same sex intercourse?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

d3lness posted:

Say it with me people. "Gypsy is a slur."

Please don't probe me, I'm trying to be informative and not a dick

In America it means they dress like Stevie Nicks and are into crafts

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The "my body, my choice" crowd cracks me up. The absolutely don't give a poo poo about that stance if it goes the other way and infringes on someone else's rights

I had to take a step away from Facebook during this because while I keep mine an echo chamber of people that mostly mirror my opinions my friends do not and I couldn't stop wading into the comments to shitpost.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Knormal posted:

The other day my mom texted me "R U up?" in the middle of the night. It was horrifying.

Are you me at 6am on a Saturday?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Do I want to know what Twitmo is?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mak0rz posted:

TTMO, or Twitanamo Bay

It's where suspended accounts are detained.

I wasn't sure if it was that or if it was a SHADOWBAN thing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TKIY posted:

Never read the comments. Christ.

If your opinion is 'that black guy deserved to be murdered by the cops in broad daylight over a supposed $20 property crime' then get hosed.

My boss called me and a co-worker I to the office last week (I think? 2020 time has been weird) to ask "if Mr Floyd had not tried to pass off a fake $20 would he still be alive? Yes or no"

Dude owns a MAGA hat though so what do you expect?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GreenMetalSun posted:

Most playable D&D races are similar in form to humans for game balance reasons. You can't play like, an immortal star dragon or anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Wyrms?wprov=sfla1

Does real life count? There was a house I passed on the way to work with a Confederate flag that had an assault rifle and the text COME AND TAKE IT.

It disappeared over the weekend

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

His tick is back

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/BlxckDollar/status/1278140158681010176?s=20

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

artsy fartsy posted:

Aw come on, that ND post is obviously satire.

Right?

My coworker chimed into a conversation about gun safety with "my nephew plays with my boyfriends guns all the time but the safety is on so it's okay"

So even if that one isn't people like that exist

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Subjunctive posted:

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh nooooooooo

She also posted this on the Facebook

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

One of the benefits of social distancing is that you're working from home so don't have to deal with her in person, right? RIGHT?! :ohdear:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

She's on the other side of the cubicle

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Was it this thread that introduced me to Gygax and his particular brand of idiocy on social media?

https://twitter.com/FreyjaErlings/status/1180544774723571712?s=17

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They must have gone through American Sex Ed where they hammer home the only way to prevent STDs and pregnancy is with abstinence

And also once you have sex with someone you have sex with everyone that person has ever had sex with

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Imagine getting angry about someone being trans. Like how little do you have going on in your life that you can't just apologize for misgendering them and then using the correct pronouns going forward. Trans rights are basic humans rights

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Scratch Monkey posted:

My advice on how to make this thread a lot better

This is always the weirdest flex, nobody cares who you have on your ignore list OP

guy from a discord on Uber killing a woman with a self driving car posted:

unfortunate way to die
what should they have done to them throw a company in jail?
the state gave them authority to test
and acknowledged the risks
so stifle technology because of dangers
ok so never build a rocket to go to space
because something could malfunction and kill the crew
how do you stop malfunctions
Testing

This has been a burning hot take in the discord for days because he's completely fine with uber just killing a woman with a self driving car

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

OwlFancier posted:

It's a shame "I can use google and figure out how to do a thing if I don't already know how to do it" is not a substitute for qualifications on a CV, despite being the better answer.

When I had to take statistics for my major the professor lett us have notes during the exams because "if you end up in a lab doing this for real you'll have a computer do it all for you and you'll never use this math again" and that was the best I've ever done in math.

Len has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jul 8, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

christmas boots posted:

I imagine it’s still helpful to know what the computer is doing and why

Yeah but rather than expect us to remember all the formulas and poo poo we could go into the exams with them written down. I'm doing nothing with my psych degree and quantitative methods was over a decade ago but I did better at that than any of the ones where I was just expected to keep everything in line. But I've never been great at math and related courses

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Apparently there's a new Pizzagate style conspiracy about Wayfair selling children through their website? Apparently these cabinets have the names of missing children

And because we live in hellworld it's a matter of time before someone shoots up a Wayfair.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

reddit posted:

Is it possible Wayfair involved in Human trafficking with their WFX Utility collection? Or are these just extremely overpriced cabinets? (Note the names of the cabinets) this makes me sick to my stomach if it’s true :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Leavemywife posted:

For those who want context on Rhinos post.

He's handling this so gracefully

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"unsecured in the living-room sofa"? I mean, I once found a missing bottle-opener down the back of the sofa, but a handgun seems like a lot.

Well how are you going to be ready to defend your home during a break in if you don't have unsecured guns just everywhere?

Like Joe Tweaker breaks in and says give me your valuables he isn't going to wait for you to go to the gun safe, you have to be ready now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Maybe i'm the idiot for not knowing how Twitter works but wouldn't it make more sense that exchange is about the guy saying "YOUR ARRANGEMENTS SUCK"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brawnfire posted:

I don't mind the SpaceX people as much as the Tesla people. Space is kinda cool regardless who's hand is at the till, and I think Musk is mostly a money man at SpaceX, where he belongs. Tesla fanboys cover up fatal flaws, excuse dangerous labor practices, and laud fuckups as master plans.

My friends boss had her house burn down recently and the fire started in the garage where the Tesla was parked and charging(?)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/LostHers/status/1284238102777798659?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mlnhd posted:

I don't know what this means. what are massive industries

Remember how the forums poo poo the bed for about 15 minutes last night because Cloudflare was having issues? This person on Twitter was posting that it was a massive security breach across a bunch of different services but it was just Cloudflare having problems