Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hello and welcome to the newest iteration of the Idiots on Social Media thread! In this thread you will find people posting:

1) Idiots
2) (this is the important part) On Social Media

Why is that the important part? Because for the sake of this thread, the Something Awful Forums are not social media. That is to say, the idiocy must come from outside the thread. No first hand trolling or fighting or general foolishness here, please!

How do we uphold content rules one and two? Why, by posting content from sites like Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and NextDoor, of course! Here are some examples of the types of posts we're looking for:

People who don't know what ovaries and/or mammograms are!

People who are Nice Guys online!

People who say poo poo like this!

This is not a thread for good tweets. Good tweets belong in this thread which, in fact, I highly recommend!

But I digress. Do you know what my favorite kind of Idiots on Social Media are? The kind people can laugh at without feeling as though they're being dehumanized by the idiot in question. So while this is often a political thread at its core, let's go back to trying to focus on the harmless idiots and not the kind spreading hateful rhetoric.

Please think for a moment before posting material that could feasibly be preceded by a content warning. This means, be wary of sharing posts that include things such as extreme:
    Transphobia
    Homophobia
    Racism
    Discussion of sexual assault and/or abuse
    Etc.
...because sometimes, people just need a break from all that.

If, upon previewing your post, you realize it's likely to engender nothing in thread followers but reminders of how lovely the world outside is, consider posting something else instead! There are a lot of idiots out there. Some are funnier than others.

As well, please be sure to follow the overarching PYF Posting Rules.

Thank you friends and happy dummy hunting. May the content be ever in your favor.

:siren: RHINO UPDATE 15 June 2023: A reminder on Bird's rule that we would like posts to be less on the vein of despairing, horrific bigotry of people just being the worst versions of themselves, and more towards funny/interesting stuff. Less burning of crosses, more stepping on rakes.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Jun 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao: sure thing :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:3::hf::3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

It wasn't renegade! Birb said I could but then I was too slow on the draw.

Also

lmao yes, Fatty had full permission but then too much time passed and I tried to steal her thunder!!!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Anora posted:

The admin power corrupts.

:ohdear:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

hyperhazard posted:

Nice, an actual island of Kek for the alt-right.

Egyptian pantheon making a surprisingly strong showing really

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I know AA posted a different version of this tweet/post earlier but I came here to post it and after suffering through the last couple pages by God post it I will.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Have this too. I'm the owl.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Don't post this kind of content.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Please be nice to EasilyConfused. They're easily... hm. Well.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:siren: Hello, IoSM! :siren:

I come bearing a gift. Some of you will probably hate it. Others might not. It is, in either case, especially relevant to this thread, so I would like to share it here with you all:

A brand new RULE OF THE DAY! Wow!

As a mod, I advise you follow it; as a long-time poster in this thread alongside you all, I ask you to.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The Idiots on Social Media thread has been around for longer than C-SPAM has. It is perfectly capable of existing without other subforums' memes nesting inside of it. If you don't like it, go.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm sorry you feel that way. There are lots of other places for you to post "kill all men."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I feel like right now there is so much tension and anger in absolutely everyone, online and off, and for extremely good reasons. We are frightened, threatened, disenfranchised and in danger, some of us more so than others, and it all links back to politics. They're inescapable. Everywhere you turn is bad news and people justifiably angry at it. It's as you say, Midnight: that particular kind of posting is everywhere. Twitter, Facebook, SA.

In the past this thread has been a good source of information and viewpoints; while goons mocked the content they would also provide valuable context and insight. That still happens, but the ratio of helpful posts to ones of performative frustrations has sharply declined. IoSM is a good, compact goon-compiled resource, but I feel like it drifted. I would like to see a reduction of white noise posturing; there are plenty of other threads for that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

OP is a goon, and I am pretty sure that they read this thread, so, sorry friend for the startle at scrolling through IoSM and seeing something from your very own facebook page :lol:

"my custom bobble head" was just too much.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Apr 20, 2020

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oops I missed dum-dum's name once

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I kinda felt like i missed out as a kid since i sorta missed the age where i mightve read it (elementary school??) reading John Bellairs and Judy Blume (and tom clancy and michael crichton lmao). I liked Pokemon and other kid trend poo poo, but I never bothered with Harry Potter.

After i passed a certain age (12?) it was just never gonna happen out of basic self-respect.

I loved John Bellairs.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I like the bit of the poll where the unmarried 55% of bi respondents are complete non-factors. Perhaps some of these single/unmarried bisexual people would prefer a same sex partner, but do not have one due to the difficulties other posters have outlined above? Perhaps this could be connected to why they are single and, given options, the bisexual same-sex couple numbers would be more competitive? Hard to say. Hard to say. I've gotta think about this.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dewgy posted:

I am not a clever man.

I appreciated the sentiment and the joke! :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bismuth posted:

I dont think its her fault or that its not ok to complain but it seems a little odd to act surprised and then change up everything like it was an unexpected result. Human beings, especially cishet men given online anonymity, usually act lovely and should be called out on it, but like, idk, seems weird to be like "gosh how'd that happen". Anyone whos a minority/marginalized (i am counting women due to...everything) and has been online since the internet was invented should be ready to brace themselves for the flood of bullshit

She didn't seem surprised to me. It read much more like she got tired enough of the continuous unwelcome attention to make a change to try to reduce it, which was met of course with dismay and protest from the people providing the attention. She is clarifying that this was her own choice, made because of the, as you put it, flood of bullshit.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sure, it could definitely do that, that is a valid concern. I just don't see the surprise that you do and that surprise seemed to be a lot of your frustration :shobon:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

goodness, zena

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I know this thread is mostly a different kind of idiot these days but I would like to share this Amazon review, from a person who lives in constant fear of spontaneous bedroom combustion.

26 people found this helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:allears: