Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

I also have a sneaking suspicion that it's mainly conservatives saying you should be able to get along regardless of politics, not liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

sugar mouse posted:

Yeah agree there but the picture with this made it rather clear that this is their annual skiing holiday. It does suck but it's really not front page news. I stand by my initial point, trying to garner tears for the wealthy family of four that go skiing every year is terrible journalism.

But it's not about a wealthy family of four. It's about how 20 people pooled their resources for a vacation (long before this crisis started!) and how they just got hosed because the business they gave their money to is run by shitheads.

Your ire towards the wealthy is fine, but it needs to be directed at the right people. And there's no shortage of examples.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://twitter.com/glennbeck/status/1307472038123073536

ONE BILLION AMERICANS, this year's spookiest halloween hit

"[W]e will create the necessary conditions for the whole Germanic people and the whole of Europe, controlled, ordered and led by us, the Germanic people, to be able, in generations, to stand the test in her battles of destiny against Asia, who will certainly break out again. We do not know when that will be. Then, when the mass of humanity of 1 to 1½ [billion] lines up against us, the Germanic people, numbering, I hope, 250 to 300 million, and the other European peoples, making a total of 600 to 700 million – (and with an outpost area stretching as far as the Urals, or, a hundred years, beyond the Urals) – must stand the test in its vital struggle against Asia. It would be an evil day if the Germanic people did not survive it. It would be the end of beauty and 'Kultur', of the creative power of this earth. That is the distant future. It is for that that we are fighting, pledged to hand down the heritage of our ancestors."

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

When was the last time "the Left" melted down over anything that wasn't a major civil or human rights catastrophe?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I’m going to melt down over this Supreme Court nomination by doing nothing and feeling bad

Oh and this post :argh:

You're unhinged!! LOl! *drinks tearss* *laughing crying emoji*

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Is "Policy Officers" some British sovereign citizen thing claiming "they're not police, they're policy officers, meaning they can only enforce policies" or some dumb poo poo like that?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

What makes someone with opposing political, philosophical, moral, and ethical views worth having as a friend?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

I'm still gonna play it.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

I knew a raw vegan who claimed primitive humans were healthy, strong, long-lived, and never got ill, all as a result of their raw vegetable and fruit diet.

He subsequently got sick and took a full month to recouperate. He was about 40 pounds underweight, last I knew him.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Posting screenshots of horny dude texts* is "brand building" now

* Yes I know most of them are fake

https://twitter.com/vafanghoul/status/1340816736187281416

And what products do these "brands" sell? Or is brand just whatever we want it to be to sound impressive?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

zakharov posted:

omg go argue about the bad video game in the games forum

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

What are you supposed to "win"?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

there wolf posted:

So people are right when they say that movies before that point feel different; they are different. But that difference is mostly just slower, stodgier, and more boring rather than drawing from an entirely different visual language incomprehensible to a modern viewer.

Get a load of the guy who's never seen The Manchurian Candidate, Seconds, The French Connection, or any of Alfred Hitchcock's films.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

I'd actually argue that modern films are slower than older films, in terms of editing and writing. Lots of movies from the 30s-60s had lightning-quick editing, crisp dialogue, complex camera movements, and not a lot of dead air. Compare that to "serious" films from the late 90s to today, with long takes, zero camera movement, deadpan actors, long serious silences.

Not that I'm its biggest fan,but Citizen Kane has so much going on, constantly draws the eye in. Compared to any of the heavy, plodding work by modern filmmakers like Aronofsky, Mendes, Fincher, or Nolan? It's practically electric.

Dynastocles has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Feb 17, 2021

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Also a reminder that the term "fake news" originated specifically in reference to Russian-owned "news" sites aimed at conservatives which pumped out fraudulent, inflammatory articles against BLM, Hillary, Dems in general, all in an effort to help one of our lesser-known presidents Domnald G. Trump.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Some millenials are approaching 40. They own businesses. They run local governments. Who the gently caress is she talking about?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Palm oil frequently leads to nut, tho

:nice:

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Where'd the "odd inability to form complete sentences" come from? Or is it just her acting like a boomer talking about The Youth and their street slang?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"My cat was walking on my keyboard!!"

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

I understand she's talking about aerospace engineering as apart from travel, but even so, how does advancing in space rocket technology really help us? I don't give a gently caress about Mars, I don't give a gently caress about the Moon - who gives a poo poo?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"Having an opinion is the same as telling me what to do. GOONSS!!"

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

So, Mount and Blade

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Creative, quirky insults that are meant to avoid ableism/misogyny/homophobia/etc always come out sounding dumb irl.

edit: If you're an old British person, you can pull it off.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Anything that isn't monetized is a waste of time

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Based on the rest of their posts it looks like LibertyHangout is run by a hardcore Catholic.

https://twitter.com/LibertyHangout/status/1400452632217460744

https://twitter.com/LibertyHangout/status/1399943941173264388

https://twitter.com/LibertyHangout/status/1399919752424927234

And they retweeted:
https://twitter.com/catholiccom/status/1399436576820645897

Dynastocles has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Jun 3, 2021

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

woops

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

She of all people should know better than to advocate that people work for free.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"I will NEVER give my money to the makers of 'Loki'! Instead, I'm giving my money to the makers of Thor, Avengers, Spider Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy!"

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

They wouldn't have had to raise it if Chipotle hadn't paid their CEO 38 million dollars in 2020. Sounds like Chipotle just can't live within their means and want to offset their bad financial decisions on customers like you. Who, I should mention, don't have to eat there.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Soysaucebeast posted:

As someone who used to play Risk a lot with my dad, no one who plays Risk thinks it's reflective of actual strategy. Also no one plays Risk anymore.

Also also fun fact about my Risk-playing dad, they used to have a house rule that if you lost a country you'd have to run down the apartment stairs, run around the building, jump over the grill outside, and run back up by a certain time limit. That's what they had to do to make the dang game entertaining and I'm sure being hopped up on coke in the 80's didn't hurt.

Some friends of mine in Austin would have two large teams of people at two different tables, one half playing Risk and the other playing Monopoly, and each team would use the proceeds from a game of Monopoly to pay for their military campaigns.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood features gleeful scenes of Brad Pitt beating up Bruce Lee, hippies, and women, and features underage girls begging to be hosed.

movie BAD

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

To be fair, Cosby is a legendary rapist.

A legendrapist, if you will.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Those "concentration camps" and "Vernichtungslager" you're hearing about? They're called JAILS. :smug:

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

This is what i was taught was the view in America, given that until the troops actually found the camps the American opinion on Hitler was 'i like this guy's ideas, shame he's attacking our friends' even if the government was opposed.

Americans have always been vaguely pro-fascist at minimum

Mm no, America was against Hitler long before then.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Heath posted:

Here it is. The thread is extremely 2014, so be aware of that I guess

2014 Tumblr is virtually indistinguishable from modern-day SA. Minus the Supernatural duck penis mpreg.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Insanity continues. Now he's trying to make it seem like his nephew is now posting on the account, that the "uncle" has been restrained and that medical staff are managing his Twitter.

https://twitter.com/NeatBoysPodcast/status/1425798742897213441/photo/1

Best meltdown I've seen in ages.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

This shits me so much.

These women are saying "Boohoo I don't want my husband to become a woman because then I will be married to a woman thus making me a lesbian. I would much rather my husband live a life of misery and pain, stuck in a gender that they do not feel they are. I care that little about my husband of 10+ years wellbeing that I will sentence them to living a lie that causes them immense emotional distress, just so I can avoid some social embarrassment "

gently caress that.

I'm pretty sure these women don't want that. And it doesn't seem to be about "social embarrassment," but more about "now being married to someone of a gender they're not attracted to." Unless you believe they're obligated to change their sexuality on their partner's whims?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Right, maybe "whims" wasn't the right word. "Choices" is better.

And that's very nice for them, but the article is clearly about people for whom that is not the case. For them, they can't get onboard.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Data Graham posted:

This is conservative whataboutism in its purest form. They love getting leftists in what they think are catch-22s or logical inconsistencies or something, like "oh so you say wind power is good? Well what about ALL THE BIRDS THE WINDMILLS KILL", like they want to take different leftist groups and pit them against each other and in so doing prove that all leftism is stupid and we should just do nothing because everything is fine the way it is.

"Why fight for gay marriage at home, there are countries in Africa where being gay is a capital crime!"
"You feminists and trans advocates are all obsessed with pronouns, yet you don't give a poo poo about women being brutalized under the Taliban! Curious!"
"Black lives matter? Don't you think there are places in the world where racism is a bigger problem than the US?"
"We all have to get vaccinated, huh? What happened to MY BODY MY CHOICE???"

All it is is "America is fine and perfect, if you want to agitate for something go agitate about some other country instead of screwing up this one with all your tyrannical busybodyism"

It's a mindset shared by the hyper-religious, particularly Christian apologists. They think if you can find one provable Biblical fact, then the rest of it must be true. Conversely, they believe if there's one chink in a non-Christian worldview, then it's completely invalid. It's based in rhetoric and debate, not in common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

I don't think it's very funny. My wife loves it though because it's gentle, affirming, and features men being vulnerable and talking about their feelings.