Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

I've been binging Thought Slime, Some More News, PhilosophyTube, Dumpster Flower, Three Arrows.

I guess Thought Slime and Some More News are the ones I'm thinking of when it comes to sarcasm-onslaughts. It's not even that I think it's bad or even unfunny, but that they lay it on too thick.

It's not going to keep me from watching them. I think my gripe boils down to:

1) Sometimes I just want the deets without the fluff and I don't trust myself to find and correctly interpret the material. I didn't even understand the concept of dog whistles until much too recently.

2) Sometimes I get really on board with a concept and want to share the material with people who I think would be receptive, but who I know for a fact will tune it out the second they catch a whiff that they're being mocked, or see that the channel has a cartoony, childish visual style.

Like, I enjoy Philosophy Tube. I even like the occasional theatrics. But, I can't lead with this:

Surely, there's room for all of it on YouTube. I would love suggestions on more stuff like Three Arrows.

If you like Three Arrows, try Shaun (who seems to be the closest to what you're looking for):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ6o36XL0CpYb6U5dNBiXHQ

You may also like the Radical Reviewer, who is generally very straightforward despite ostensibly pretending to be a dog:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_V9wKk1Dd2rpZ4fxj7pKXA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

snergle posted:

so uh am i reading the second part wrong? it sounds like he wants the christian right to all die and join god in heaven. he knows suicide is a one way ticket to hell right? unless you catholic suicide yourself by drinking / smoking / over eating for 20 years or provoke a cop into shooting you. oh i just got why they want the cops to not be defunded.

I read it more as "Let's pray the Rapture into happening," which on top of the Rapture being an idea built out of really strained readings of disparate texts that ignores much more apparent themes in those texts, goes against the usual Rapture "no one knows the day or hour/God works in mysterious ways" stuff to basically say that enough people asking can just make it happen at will.

Of course, God directly taking people to Heaven is in most ways functionally identical to death, so it's more Suicide by God than Suicide by Cop.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

No way am I watching the video to find out what he's citing but can it possibly even be true?

I mean maybe it is, it just feels super unlikely, but hey i will say I don't know and perhaps I will learn a thing

After a cursory Wikipedia search, seems like total bullshit; ~12 million slaves shipped "Across the Atlantic" over the course of the slave trade, ~1 million immigrants from Africa to the US since the mid-1960s (there were some pretty severe quotas prior to that point).

I suppose it's possible that less than 1/12 of the slaves went to the US specifically, especially because there were some long periods where the US didn't (legally) accept new slaves for trade, opting to let them reproduce (and in many cases, to my knowledge, specifically pairing people off) to get more.

Also, it's Dennis Prager, he doesn't cite poo poo, just says "I bet this is a statistic you haven't heard before."

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Just gonna leave this right here, in the vein of "Dolly Parton is pretty cool:"

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/dolly-partons-america/episodes

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Hihohe posted:

This is what i think of when i hear daddy long legs

Those are harvestmen, the aforementioned non-spider arachnids.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Cobryn is in the news again regarding his alleged antisemitism.

I get that it was entirely a sleazy smear by neoliberal and conservative stooges but what exactly was the supposed evidence they cited for his antisemitism?

As far as I can tell they just repeated the accusation until people believed it.

This is a pretty good rundown of that whole shitshow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t4l0oZ72tc

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1329055330286891012

Ah yes, the Sermon on the Mount, a radical leftist manifesto.

A Black Preacher, quoting Jesus: "You can't serve both God and Mammon"

Marco Rubio, on behalf of White Evangelical Christianity: "No, idiot, Mammon is God"

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Ignoring the obvious dumbness of "Australia is in Europe and uses the Euro," pointing out the exchange rate isn't an immediately stupid thing. Of course, assuming that number is AUD (an Australian site uses the same number so this seems reasonable) and doing the exchange, 19.84 AUD is...15.30 USD.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Y'know how Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same at -40 degrees? By a very similar coincidence, 6.6% Australian converts to precisely 6.6% American.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I think there's ones that have tried using other verification measures, but the power usage is directly a result of scaling up the way most coins work. Bitcoin and Ethereum are just the first ones to get big enough to highlight the issue.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm still enjoying Gunnerkrigg Court, it seems to be building to a big finish at this point too. most recent notable events that are feeling like a build up to a big finale:

Coyote:

Coyote has finished grooming Ysengrin and his big plan has come to fruition, in that he gave Ysengrin some of his power and the he reacted by going berzerk and eating coyote, so now the two are a single far more malevolent dickhead called Loup who has pretty much declared war on the court, closed the ravine between them and used seeds coyote planted to basically destroy the majority of it, so most of the court citizens are now in a few small locations. When the Tree elves tried to help Annie, Loup evicted them from the forest too, so they are stuck living at the court, resulting in a little culture shock on both sides.

General quest poo poo:

Annie is in the middle of getting three items from the court that Loup wants back, items that coyote used to hide some of his power so that when his plan came to fruition Loup couldn't just do whatever he wanted immediately.

Slight correction:

The elves getting shoved out of the forest was because Annie decided she needed their help to get one of the Coyote bits, and when asked about this, Loup just sort of went "Sure, you can have ALL of them" because he's very powerful but not very smart.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I wanna say Nyarlathotep is the only one and SMT Nyarlathotep is sorta lame.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I picked up the habit of crossing z's because I did lots of math courses in college, and when you're writing lots of 2's and z's it helps to differentiate between the two.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Things to know about this dude:

- Describes himself as a "theocratic fascist" in his Twitter bio
- Twitter recommends Ben Shapiro and The Daily Wire as things you might like when you click on said bio

Y'know, in case the "Defending Residential Schools" take wasn't enough.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

I had no idea who Cody Johnston was until I looked up a video and recognised his voice from various times as a guest on Behind the bastards podcast.
Thank you for coming to me Ted talk.

I'm a bit surprised there's someone that listens to BtB that doesn't also listen to Worst Year Ever.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Total tangent but I cannot help but LOL at the advertisers that show up on Behind the Bastards.

"Mutual aid societies y'all, anyway now for some products and services"
"Do you need a reliable way to authenticate your luxury watch purchased through Ebay? Do we have a service for you!"

His running gag about Raytheon doesn't even feel like a joke anymore

I'm pretty sure the Raytheon joke started because some people actually got a Raytheon ad in an early episode.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

Christianity was so much cooler before it sold out.

Less sold out, more literally became The Man.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory terrified me as a kid, with the ?drowning? in the chocolate river, the kid blowing up like a balloon, I think there was a kid who got imprisoned in a photograph...

Mike Teavee (yes that's his name) gets sent into the television. He steps right back out, but he's still only the size his image was on the screen.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Everyone knows there's no type of male like the phi male.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For all the people who start the whole "think of the children! They need god!" arguments for removing books, all it does is let me know they never read the bible they love so much.

They haven't read the Bible, but they have read certain specific things from the Bible, most often. They read from lists of out of context verses specially curated as "support" for whatever position they hold.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Among Us is Mafia/Werewolf with some variations to account for being played on screens and in real time, with a sci-fi coat of paint on it

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't remember the aliens attacking anyone in signs. They just kinda... wandered around.

They grabbed the kid in the cellar for like a second. Then the one at the end tried to gas him (but he didn't breathe any of it in because he was having an asthma attack at the time). Maybe they just really hated that kid in particular.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
And what's extra dumb is that comparing America to Rome isn't exactly wrong in and of itself, just that for the most part the Evangelicals are the Romans in such a comparison.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I obviously wouldn't be okay with you having a 50lb eagle, because they don't exist so you're doing some Dr Moreau poo poo that is abhorrent to both God and man.

Bustards almost get that heavy at their very biggest. They're not eagles, but you probably wouldn't want to gently caress with them anyway.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Mike Ross and Gootecks were a couple of buddies that played Fighting Games. They started making a series of Youtube videos where they played Super Street Fighter 4 (and eventually some other games too) online while being goofs. These got reasonably popular. They often did ads for fighting game related stuff, usually fight sticks (console/pc controllers with arcade-style buttons and joystick). One of these ads involved them busting out an old collection of Pogs and eventually using a fight stick as a slammer to demolish a very large stack of Pogs (good fight sticks tend to be quite heavy). Gootecks made a lot of funny faces.

Around the same time, Twitch was becoming a thing, and fighting game tournaments were becoming a pretty popular thing to stream. Somebody made a Twitch emote of one of Gootecks's funny faces and labeled it "Poggers" in reference to the Pogs ad. This eventually became a Twitch-wide emote with a general purpose "get hype" meaning. Which resulted in "Poggers" becoming a synonym for "sweet/awesome/get hype." Then Gootecks went fully mask-off being a piece of poo poo (he kind of always was, by most accounts), so Twitch changed the emote, but the influence of "Poggers" remains.

"Kappa" was also a popular Twitch emote, particularly on Fighting Game related streams, because the image is was associated with resembled another fairly well-known player, which is how r/kappa was born.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

fun fact: there's substantial evidence that a meteor exploded over an ancient city, possibly birthing the God's wrath narrative! :eng101:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fernandezelizabeth/2021/09/23/a-massive-meteor-may-have-destroyed-the-biblical-city-of-sodom/?sh=46822e215826

As I recall, this was mostly one weirdo desperately trying to find a real, historical Sodom, while most scholars and archaeologists agree the city cited here doesn't seem to fit. As I recall, the evidence for a meteor in this specific case was also called into question by people not involved in this particular study. If I recall correctly, the general consensus is that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah is chiefly mythological and there probably wasn't actually an actual historical event associated with it.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Do you have any sources on this? Not disbelieving you but I'd like to read more on it

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/10/01/criticism-engulfs-paper-claiming-an-asteroid-destroyed-biblical-sodom-and-gomorrah/

Has some decent links to "this probably wasn't an asteroid/meteor" criticisms.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2021/09/23/a-night-with-lot-in-sodom-on-meteors-and-memory/
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2021/09/24/a-night-with-lot-in-sodom-better-see-that-twice/

Those two have a bit more of "the lead author is a bit of a kook," and some thoughts on competing ideas of biblical historicity. I'd recommend Fred Clark's writing in a broader sense, particularly the long series criticizing the Left Behind books (I think he's got a link to the e-book version of that somewhere on his blog).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5Ag9n-o0IZACF2h6ztqC1wxmeUug1rtD

Finally, I don't think anything in here specifically addresses this specific study, but it talks a lot about scholarly consensus on various parts of the Bible and is in general very neat.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Chloe Jessica posted:

lmfao it doesn't surprise me that Moffat recycles jokes

this particular one was in the episode of Doctor Who where the TARDIS turns into a human. she kisses the Doctor and then bites him, and describes biting as "like kissing but there's a winner".

Neil Gaiman wrote that episode.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

But did he write both? Or did Moffat steal a joke Gaiman used in a previous show he ran?

Jekyll was a few years before that Doctor Who episode, so if anything it was the other way around. It's possible Moffat inserted it into The Doctor's Wife during the editing process (which was apparently fairly extensive since Gaiman had to be taught about their budget constraints), but that seems weirdly specific.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

What about those three oriental kings who showed up to witness his birth and smoke an prank exploding cigar?

You mean the indeterminate number of astrologers of unknown origin who one of the gospels says showed up like two years after he was born? Still too late to catch the Mohel.

Edit to specifically answer Skwirl's question:
1. Only Matthew references them
2. Matthew never calls them kings, just "wise men from the east"
3. Matthew never says there's three of them, just that they brought three gifts
4. As implied by the original part of this post, Matthew has them arriving long after the birth itself

Kantesu has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jan 5, 2022

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
As I recall, the US doctors wanted to slowly taper off the benzos to try and avoid/lessen the withdrawal symptoms, but the Petersons wanted him off them as fast as possible, thus Russia and the coma.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

In a similar vein thematically, if not musically, I'm quite fond of Erotic City:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoSK7vju_l8

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

there are better examinations of dystopian realism that didn't come from a dude who later went on to rat on anti-fascists. Like 1984 is a good book but pretending it's uniquely so is silly. If you want to break the old white man mold you can use Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sowers and Parable of the Talents, or if you want to go for arguably the real ~classical influence~ on books like 1984 you can do We by Zamyatin. Hell, just change it up a loving bit with Fahrenheit 451 and you can still go for a super mainstream one that the kids can just watch a movie for.

The thing that has stuck with me most about the film version of Fahrenheit 451 is that the opening credits are spoken aloud rather than written out like usual, it's a neat thematic choice

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Hey remember when that Youtuber did this like a month after the show came out?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

All if which is to say, yes, keep calling him an idiot, it pisses him off and pissing off Musk is morally right.

To mildly tie together the two bits of the thread going at the moment, Cast the Mighty down from their Thrones, send the Rich away empty.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GplBhpH84I

I remember liking this reading of the Eden story. Also this dude's whole channel.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Waste of Breath posted:

Grant Morrison rules, but his work was completely impenetrable as a new reader in the 2000s. I'm glad I was pirating comics at the time because Batman of Zur-en-Arrh would have made me stop reading if I'd paid for it. Eventually I picked up enough to be able to really enjoy Seven Soldiers of Victory, but given how dense and full of reference his work can be, idk that I'd recommend it to new readers ever.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Grant Morrison loves deep dives into continuity and as a result of this will disappear up his rear end sometimes

Grant Morrison is NB and uses They/Them pronouns, btw.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Those fuckers can't ruin that movie for me

Can Toby Keith?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKFvG5mtTHI

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Yeah this is just like the last 2/3rds of the first one.

TinTower posted:

Yer tory ma has been writing poetry

TinTower posted:

Some more Tory poetry just dropped.

The old one never mentioned sunak. Lot of the same ideas, though, for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

GhostDog posted:

Hello Dana.

There is no Dana, there is only Zuul

Also, wow, your version of Ghostbusters was way more risque than the one I remember